Which resort? Going to try the resale route.

bradr325

Earning My Ears
I know there are pros and cons to each resort. We have a 5 yr old son and I'm interested in hearing the pros and cons of the resorts.

We just ran by AK, OKW, and SSR.

My opinion is that AK just seems far, just my opinion on one trip to the resort. It seems like OKW and SSR are the same style but with SSR newer is there any benefit with going with that one?

We don't mind the bus system and realize we have to wait the them, we like the idea of pulling in the parking lot in front of your room which makes OKW and SSR possibly a nicer fit.

I look forward to any insight that can be given...thanks!

Out of OKW and SSR I prefer SSR. The decor is nicer and the units are bigger at OKW but I much prefer the resort layouts, pools , quick service restaurant and walk to DTD at SSR. I like the open feel and being able to park by your room at both resorts. We are currently waiting on ROFR at SSR as we like it so much.

I do not like AK as it is a bit dark.

We own at BLT which we love as you can't beat the location!

If I were basing it on resort AWESOMENESS - I would pick AK hands down. I think that is the coolest resort we've been to.

I've stayed at BLT and that location is great.

I figured this out AFTER I bought - buy where you would want to stay every time. I love SSRS and if I had to stay there every trip I could. But most of the time, we are looking to stay at places other than our home resort - because I like other places better.

I think it's really a personal decision. Read the stickies. Think about your vacation and planning patterns, then look at available contracts if you are going the resale route. Maybe even rent points and check out several resorts before buying.

Personally if I am going to rank them its.
OKW I prefer because Bigger rooms, quiet resort, more relaxed atmosphere. Boat to Downtown Disney. Downside multiple bus stops in the resort.
AKL Great pool, too far from 3 of the parks.
SSR Too big, Don't love the theming of the resort. Feels more like an Condo Complex to me. bus ride seems to take forever within the resort. But I do like the rooms

I know there are pros and cons to each resort. We have a 5 yr old son and I'm interested in hearing the pros and cons of the resorts.

My opinion is that AK just seems far, just my opinion on one trip to the resort. It seems like OKW and SSR are the same style but with SSR newer is there any benefit with going with that one?

We don't mind the bus system and realize we have to wait the them, we like the idea of pulling in the parking lot in front of your room which makes OKW and SSR possibly a nicer fit.

Both resorts are nice and close to DTD.

SSR newer resort, expires in 2057, lower maintenance fees, ability to book Tree House Villas at 11 months out, walk or boat ride to DTD.

OKW older resort but beautiful, expires in 2042, BIGGER rooms, nicer balconies (bigger), boat ride to DTD, LOW cost per night in points vs. any other resort so great value for your points.

You can probably pick up either resort on the resale market in the same price range. If you get a chance to visit them I would encourage you to do that.
If you think that you will some day want a GV - OKW has the least expensive GV's and they are BIG - could be a problem getting one if you do not own there. Both resorts are pretty easy to get at the 7 month window where other resorts can be a challenge since they do sell out between 11 - 7 during peak DVC times. We own at SSR for the THV's & BLT but we prefer the resorts that are walking distance to the parks for the location. I too LOVE AKV - it is so peaceful there.

Out of the three you list I would always pick AK. Just as well as it is up home resort. I agree it is a bit far out but not overly so and no more that SSR and OKW. Personally I wouldn't stay at any of those without a car. If we were buying again I would still buy AK as the theming is gorgeous and the rooms are great but I would also buy some of my points at BLT as we always want to stay there too

My insight is try each resort out for yourself.

Everyone has different likes and dislikes. Many love the MK view at BLT, we don't, and I could make you not consider it but you may love it if you bought there.

You will be spending a lot of money to buy your contract and thousands more during your period of ownership. Take the time to experience what the different resorts have to offer, you won't be sorry.

:earsboy: Bill

I agree with another reply that you need to try them out to really know what you like best! :thumbsup2 There are many things to each spot, all have pros and cons, so it's about picking the spot that works best for you!

We chose AKV and love it! We have 3 kids (11 & under), and they love the views, even in the hallways, nevermind a room with a view! We usually rent a car, so the longer drive to the parks is never an issue anyway and we find it more laid back then in the busy resorts, which is also a plus. We enjoy the pools in Kidani the most since they have something for big and small kids. I know lots complain about the hallway walks in Kidani, but neither us or our kids have ever cared about it! All the way along there are huge windows overlooking the animals and it keeps everyone busy! Plus we have a car, so you can park as close to your room as you like, thus avoid the walk.

We went over pros and cons and went with AKV, no regrets for our family!

I agree that there are so many things at a resort and we all have different likes. My two favorites are BLT and BWV. We enjoy being able to walk to 3 of the 4 parks and not rely on the buses, which we personally are not a fan. I even take a taxi now in the summer when I go to AK vs. the bus--though i will ride it back to the resort.

For a trip that isn't heavy duty parks, I liked AKV. It was a relaxing atmosphere and enjoyable. But, when my DD 19 and I went last year, it was just for a long weekend and we only did the parks for meals and a few rides. It was more about spending time at the resort.

Have not stayed at OKW or SSR, but can't see myself at those places unless that is all I can get and want a last minute trip. Nothing wrong with them just have a preference at the other places.

When we first bought, we thought VWL would be our 2nd favorite after BLT so we bought a small contract there. I quickly realized it was not and sold only 2 months later. Now I own at BLT and BWV and am very happy. DH and I are staying at VWL over Memorial Day weekend because he wanted to try it out. I can say its going to be tough looking at BLT knowing I'm not there..

Take your time if you are at all concerned about where you own.

Good luck!

To reiterate what a few others have said, be sure to make an informed decision which might entail going to all the resorts. Absolutely buy where you most want to stay because that is the only resort you can book at 11 months out, and during certain busy times, you might not be able to get into the resort you really wanted at the 7-month point. Untold numbers of buyers have jumped at a resort only to find out later that they enjoy another more. Also, keep in mind that your son won't always be 5, so contrary to what others might suggest, I wouldn't base my decision solely on what you feel he would love most. Here is my rundown on the resorts which is by no means an all-encompassing list:
AKV - Love the animals, good restaurants, wonderful theming, but dependent on buses unless you have a car
BCV - Easy walk to EPCOT, can walk to DHS by heading over to Boardwalk, and it's commonly agreed that Stormalong Bay Pool is Disney's best, very difficult to book during Food & Wine Festival unless you own there
BWV - Lots of activities right outside your door, multiple options for transportation (you can walk to DHS and EPCOT), but the resort is quite spread out and rooms overlooking the Boardwalk can get noisy
BLT - Very convenient to MK and the monorail, excellent restaurants, newer construction, but some argue that it has a more aloof, less warm feel to it than other resorts
OKW - The most spacious of the resorts (first built), laid-back feel, quite spread out, seems remote to the parks for some people
SSR - Close to DTD, one of the cheapest DVC properties to buy if you go resale, sprawling resort can make you feel less connected to parks
THV - Considered part of SSR, they are spacious 3BR/2BA, can sleep 9) and unique, but they are a bit remote and do not have an eatery or direct tranportation to any park--you must drive or take shuttles to SSR, and in terms of points, I believe they are equal to a 2BR villa
VWL - awe-inspiring theming, boats go directly to MK, cozy, good restaurants, easy access to FW, but it is a smaller resort and some find the color-scheme too dark

Again, these are quick-hit observations, and what some find off-putting (THV's remoteness, e.g.), others adore. Every resort is wonderful in its own right, but you need to be sure the one you buy points for will work for your family not only now but in the years to come. Good luck! :thumbsup2

When we first bought, we thought VWL would be our 2nd favorite after BLT so we bought a small contract there. I quickly realized it was not and sold only 2 months later. Now I own at BLT and BWV and am very happy. DH and I are staying at VWL over Memorial Day weekend because he wanted to try it out. I can say its going to be tough looking at BLT knowing I'm not there..

Take your time if you are at all concerned about where you own.

Good luck!

I know VWL isn't on OP's wish list, but I smiled when I read this. EVERY time I stay at BLT, I make at least one boat trip over to VWL, because, I love soaking up the atmosphere, and enjoy the counter service at Roaring Fork!:goodvibes

OP, good luck as you decide. OKW only has elevators in 3 buildings.

I would reiterate that you should visit the resorts.

I posted on the first page but forgot to say that when contemplating DVC I was absolutely convinced that AK would be the one for us. As soon as we drove up to Kidani I hated it on sight. We had a good look around but my gut instinct stayed true and I just didn't like it. We drove to BLT and I was sold even though I didn't really fancy iton paper.

SSR was never on our list but we ended up there last year on a cash stay with free dining. I wasn't looking forward to it but the package from the UK was such a bargain I couldn't resist. I loved the calm atmosphere and the contrast to BLT so hopefully we will own there too soon. Then I will feel I have the best of both worlds!

We own 100 AKV and 75 HH with Aug UY and 200 OKW with June UY. Here are my opinions on where to buy (and we have stayed at all the East coast DVC resorts except AKV and BLT...we are doing AKV this Dec).

I would own at these 3 places if I were just starting today:

BWV (instead of the OKW)- We like the Epcot area resorts for location...particularly Epcot which is where we like to eat most meals. For BCV and BWV...we like both but BCV has a bit of an edge due to resort style and amenities...but you can get standard view villas for less points at BWV (but you have to own there and book before the 7 month window to get standard view) and hence we wish we would have bought there to conserve points. We stayed at Contemporary once and I LOVE the style/feel of that resort and love the monorail plus we like MK (spend most time there after Epcot...AK is a 1 day visit and we could do w/out visiting HS)...but the villas cost so many points there and we just can't bring ourselves to use so many points for 1 trip.

AKV (which we do own)- for the resorts not near any park (and I throw VWL in this group) I like the feel at AKL and the many great dining options (OKW lacks in this department). And, again, the low point cost for the villas is a big plus with AKV (can book value if you own there...best point deal at WDW). OKW is great for villa size and if you ever want a 3BR GV, OKW is the best deal going for these. And the parking right outside your villa is a plus for those who have a car there. SSR is one of our least favorite resorts (maybe THE least fave). It's not very good for theme/style/feel IMO and it costs more points than OKW yet the villas are smaller. BUT...it is lower annual dues and has more years until expiration. If you LOVE Downtown Disney, which we don't, then SSR is good for that (OKW has a boat to DD but you may wait for a boat and then the ride is about 20 minutes or so and if it's chilly out, you'll feel it...plus the boat doesn't run late). So, for me OKW would be my choice over SSR (but AKV is over OKW). All 3 are the easiest to book at 7 months out as they are large resorts. VWL is not impressive to us and we would never buy there. I don't know much about VWL (we stayed there for 4 or 5 nights once...it was not all that memorable).

HH (which we also own)- Out of the 2 beach resorts HH is best for us since it's closer and there's WAY more to do at HH than VB. We added on at HH because the points were cheap and we liked the idea of alternating years with WDW and HH so that we'd save money the year we do HH (no park passes or airfare or way expensive dining). Edited to add: annual dues are a bit higher here though.

My inlaws use 1/2 of our OKW points and they LOVE it there. If we could own our dream DVC contract scenario, for us it would likely be: 150 BWV, 125 AKV and 125 HH with AUG UY....or for MIL and FIL to continue to use our points- 100 OKW, 100 BWV, 100 AKV and 100 HH.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter