Where is bottom?

Interesting. I've not hit the same answer, but haven't looked in a while.

A Preferred 2BR at Riviera is 513 points during the Feb/Mar spring season (my usual time). At that level, points are $201/pp direct. Amortize that $103K over the 46 years remaining (rounding down) at, say 7%, the long-term after-tax rate of return of the SP500. That gives a first-year cost-of-capital of $14.66. Throw in dues of $8.50, and you get $23.16, or a cost of the room as $11,881.

That's not attractive vs. renting, but owning carries some benefits--not the least of which is that finding a single Riviera owner to rent you 500 points might be hard. Likewise, we are potentially in a trough for rental rates, as they've dropped quite a bit recently, arguably due to the macro environment. So, maybe not horrible and arguably within the bounds of uncertainty over the long run given historical fluctuations in rental-rate.

Comparing to Disney's rates, that room for my usual week (late Feb/early Mar) goes for rack of $15,589 all-in. Owning is roughly a 25% discount over that, and that's Disney's prevailing-rate discount in that time of year. So, again, about a wash, but owning gives you certainty without having to be subject to Disney's willingness to discount the specific room I want at the specific time I want.

So maybe one way of looking at owning is that you are locking in the "best case" prevailing-rate discount, and maybe within spitting distance of renting-from-an-owner, with more certainty than either of them. Given my perspective that the point of timeshares is not necessarily saving money, but is instead all about making vacations a priority, I think there's still a decent case to make for a direct purchase.

Of course, the resale case is better. Riviera at $140/pt with the same assumptions is $18.71pp in the first year, and now you're cooking with gas. You've locked in even the prevailing owner-rental rate (or close enough for rock and roll), and are north of 35% off of rack.

Then there's the argument that owning gets better over time, because the CoC contribution is fixed in current-year dollars, and only dues is subject to inflation vs. Disney's prevailing rental rate, all of which is inflationary. It's less clear that renting-from-an-owner grows at inflation, but even if it tracks cost of ownership instead, you're still close enough to a wash to ignore it.

So I think my take is: "Buying direct is not a terrible idea; buying resale is a good one."
I did specifically call out Fall though in my 2BR example. A weird thing happened when they reshuffled the point charts where (outside of the holidays) fall has remained one of the less expensive times to book a room in cash but has become one of the more expensive times on points. It’s created a misalignment.

And while I don’t think most people are doing the math in the detail you and I do, I think they have a sense of what is a good deal based on what they paid for their last room.

That's a good point; I haven't really paid attention to the Fall chart changes and how they've tracked vs. room rate.

A week in mid-October is 473p for a Preferred 2BR, or just shy of $11K under the above assumptions. Rack that week is only $13,650ish. That's a discount of about 20%. Not horrible, but definitely not great. We are often in a 1BR, and there have definitely been times of year when Disney's prevailing rate is better than the rental-from-an-owner rate.

That 25%/35% is starting to look a lot less interesting. Riviera is part of the new late Spring/Summer Disney Visa discount at 35%. That's a very good deal. Other DVC properties in that level are: BRV, Kidani, BWV, OKW, and SSR.
On the flip side, the decline in resale prices and direct sales is matching well with the sudden steep drop in hotel pricing. Seems they’re having trouble finding guests for this spring and summer.

On the flip side, the decline in resale prices and direct sales is matching well with the sudden steep drop in hotel pricing. Seems they’re having trouble finding guests for this spring and summer.
Maybe people are remembering how truly miserable Orlando is at that time of year… We are probably going to go for a week in July, but at least I know what I’m getting into…. And may bail once I look around and see the weather forecast….

Orlando December-March is heavenly…. The rest of the year, not so much….

How would you describe Oct/Nov.?
PRIME :thumbsup2 I prefer Oct/Nov and post-Easter April/May avoiding holidays.

Those are prime. WDW is running on all cylinders, good hours and events, weather near heavenly, medium crowds and prices. You just can’t beat walking down Main St under blue skies with warm sunshine.

PRIME :thumbsup2 I prefer Oct/Nov and post-Easter April/May avoiding holidays.

Those are prime. WDW is running on all cylinders, good hours and events, weather near heavenly, medium crowds and prices. You just can’t beat walking down Main St under blue skies with warm sunshine.

Isn't it still pretty hot? I guess I've never been during this months so I wouldn't know. I like January/February for weather but if Oct/Nov is similar then I'd consider going then.

I just went in February and it was HOT. Hot is always possible at WDW.

Yeah, I think you've gotta go with the odds. We've been in January/February where we wore coats. And times where we had to wear shorts and were hot. But I still think our chances of not dying in heat are best in those months probably. Kind of a bummer that there are so few good weather months out there.

October is often hot but like low 80s hot not 90s hot. Hurricane season runs through November so there’s that. But anything from 50s to 90s is possible at any time between October and April.
0FF06F54-A5B6-45CE-B9BE-4687C6C867EE.png

Isn't it still pretty hot? I guess I've never been during this months so I wouldn't know. I like January/February for weather but if Oct/Nov is similar then I'd consider going then.
I guess since we’ve always went later in October that helped. We’ve done Jan/Feb alot and the weather is OK, not great to me. You have to luck in to a pool day, can’t really be planned. Some trips it never reached 77f. Last time we had one 82f day and the other 7 days with highs 62-75f. All things considered I’d rate it 6/10.

The most recent trip we took in late April had one 92f day. The rest was around 80-85 and i think just one short evening rain shower. Weather is always kind of chance but for me mid-spring and mid-fall have the best odds. Plus the park and resort experience just seems better. Maybe better hours/events and everything’s open?

0ACCE78A-F67D-4E72-9B26-9221F5A1F926.jpeg

I describe them as FALL 😝
Late November to early December is usually very nice weather. We have gone a few times the week afterThanksgiving and, in addition to decent weather, we saw smaller crowds.
Jan & Feb, however, are also less rainy months for Orlando.

Yeah...for me....if it never got above 68 degrees, I'd be happy. But I think I'm probably in the minority on that.
I'm with you - - and as I get older I have a more narrow band of comfort. It used to be from 40 - 80, and now I really prefer from 50-75 (degrees F).

We are in Jan/Feb mode these days. We like the Festival of the Arts and the cooler weather. I planned a big family/friends group trip in early April about 20 years ago (not a spring break week) and pumped everyone up for how the weather would be perfect, crowds manageable....yada yada. It was 95 most of the week with 85-90% humidity. I've been forbidden from going between April and October ever since....

I've personally snuck away during those months a few times and survived fine, but I have no leave for a family trip during those times.

Latest posts

facebook twitter