Where are all the crowds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two more questions:

Is Boo Bash in Magic Kingdom every night, or just on Tuesday nights? We have reservations for Magic Kingdom on Tuesday. Not planning on Boo Bash, but wondering if the parks are crowded during the day time hours because of Boo Bash...if it is just on Tuesday nights.

We plan to wear a mask, like required, but not going to wear one when walking through the parks. Are mask required in lines that are outside the attraction or only when inside?

masks are required when indoors. If the queue goes indoors, the masks go on, and there is usually a cast member there to remind you.

Two more questions:

Is Boo Bash in Magic Kingdom every night, or just on Tuesday nights? We have reservations for Magic Kingdom on Tuesday. Not planning on Boo Bash, but wondering if the parks are crowded during the day time hours because of Boo Bash...if it is just on Tuesday nights.

We plan to wear a mask, like required, but not going to wear one when walking through the parks. Are mask required in lines that are outside the attraction or only when inside?
You can find the dates of the Boo Bash on the Disney website or by looking at the Official Boo Bash thread on this board.

I'm sure this has been mentioned but the 50th had no real draw outside of merchandise. Why show up for something on 10/1/21 that will still be there on 10/1/22? There wasn't much unique or special about it unless you just really wanted to be there.

And really there were no real crowds for rides on Friday at MK later in the day, it was all main street shopping which is silly since I'm sure a good bit of the 50th stuff will be restocked. I think crowds will be a crap shoot for a while.

I went to my first Broadway show since March 2020 this week - masks and vaccine required - and the show was sold out, so it hasn’t been a dealbreaker for anyone wanting to see a show. But NYC was pretty quiet compared to pre-COVID matinee days, and I suspect these are mostly locals filling these seats right now. The tourists just aren’t back yet.

My guess is the same is happening with WDW now. This summer was…rough, and I think people are still waiting it out a bit longer. Our trip for next month is still on, but we debated moving it to next year. The crowds will be back in NYC, they’ll be back at WDW too. (just hopefully not during our trip :banana:)

We were just in NYC this weekend and the "crowds" were amazing! No lines for any of our must do's and must eats - places that usually have insane lines! Kinda wish things would stay this way, but it was so nice to enjoy it a little before crowds return :cool1:

I'm sure this has been mentioned but the 50th had no real draw outside of merchandise. Why show up for something on 10/1/21 that will still be there on 10/1/22? There wasn't much unique or special about it unless you just really wanted to be there.

And really there were no real crowds for rides on Friday at MK later in the day, it was all main street shopping which is silly since I'm sure a good bit of the 50th stuff will be restocked. I think crowds will be a crap shoot for a while.

this is just a guess, but I’m thinking there were a few reasons that people waited on all those lines for merch (with the exception of the exclusive day-of merch in the big top, Frontierland, popcorn stands and quick serve restaurants and stands):

1) it was likely some people’s first day and they were not aware the merch had been out, or they couldn‘t get it earlier since it was their first day

2) refer to #1, the length of some people’s stay was limited

3) flippers going for another dip, and possibly multiple dips, after already having hit the other stores (Creations & World of Disney & CoOp)

4) people who were afraid that the merch would sell out and not come available again (it’s happened)

5) people who just didn’t know that the merch was and will possibly be available elsewhere and throughout the year

"You can find the dates of the Boo Bash on the Disney website or by looking at the Official Boo Bash thread on this board."

Thank you! After searching, I see that Boo Bash will be on the Tuesday that we plan to be in Magic Kingdom. What I cannot find is whether or not the park would be more crowded during the day because of this event happening that night.

"You can find the dates of the Boo Bash on the Disney website or by looking at the Official Boo Bash thread on this board."

Thank you! After searching, I see that Boo Bash will be on the Tuesday that we plan to be in Magic Kingdom. What I cannot find is whether or not the park would be more crowded during the day because of this event happening that night.
It seems to be from reading the reports in this thread that crowds are not heavier during most of the day when the BB happens BUT they do pick up substantially at 7:00 when the park opens to BB guests. Many of those people appear to head directly to the hub to stake out spots for the fireworks and those crowds are huge when you mix day guests with BB guests.

I just got an email from touringplans crowd calendar and our week has dropped significantly. The new crowd tracker is HS a 1-4 every day, Most every other park is a 1. Each park has dropped from a 3-5 to a 1. Are crowds really down that much? Not sure I believe it, but really hoping it is correct.
Other weeks looking similar?
Is Disney attendance really down that much? This soon after the 50th? I really expected it to be packed, but happy if its not.

I’m heading next week and nearly all my dates dropped to a 1. Strange.
I'm not surprised. The predictions for this week were way off. Wait times are up from what they were on the anniversary day when crowds were predicted to be a 10. More people are actually riding attractions than shopping now. I think you will see wait times similar to what they were in the weeks leading up to 10/1.

I just got an email from touringplans crowd calendar and our week has dropped significantly. The new crowd tracker is HS a 1-4 every day, Most every other park is a 1. Each park has dropped from a 3-5 to a 1. Are crowds really down that much? Not sure I believe it, but really hoping it is correct.
Other weeks looking similar?
Is Disney attendance really down that much? This soon after the 50th? I really expected it to be packed, but happy if its not.
Disney attendance really is down that much. The resort overall hasn’t been above a crowd level 2 since mid-august, and it was only at crowd level 2 3 days since mid-august. Every other day has been a crowd level 1.

I’m sure crowds will pick up soon with Florida’s plummeting covid numbers. I personally know eight families going to WDW in December!
I guess its anyones guess. We live in Pennsylvania and everyone in our group of friends have rescheduled for next year. Many of them go in December but not this year. What a crazy year!

Crowd levels of 1 are great but just a reminder that a lot of people are still in the parks, it’s just the waits are low. I used to think a 1 meant it would feel like we had the park virtually to ourselves. This isn’t the case, the people will be there, the waits will just be reasonable.

This link is a great resource for seeing actual wait times. Use the date options to choose recent dates: https://www.thrill-data.com/waits/chain/wdw/2021/10/07/2021/10/07

I’m heading next week and nearly all my dates dropped to a 1. Strange.
Same! I don’t know if I should believe it or not!!

Ours did too! Except our DHS days, those are a 3. :D

As long as wait times for rides are good I don't care about the parks still feeling full when walking and stuff. I'd rather people be in the parks than empty parks.

We’ve been at Carribean Beach from Tuesday 9/28 until Mon 10/4, and were in MK for the 50th anniversary and the day before. When we booked this trip in August 2020 my partner got this room, but realized not too long after booking that we really wanted to be closer to the magic. I kept trying different ways of looking, but it seemed like all the monorail resorts were booked and I couldn’t get a DVC room on our points or rented points either. There just wasn’t anything available, and furthermore there wasn’t really inventory in other resorts, either for this time.

So naturally, we expected massive crowds, but that just never happened. Our room check in was easy, there were not a lot of people. We went straight to Epcot on the 28th for our Passholder preview of Remy, then walked onto several attractions with virtually no wait. The next day, we went to Disney Springs. No big crowds there. There were a few more people than usual in the 50th anniversary area of World of Disney and the CoOp, but it was not really bad. We got almost all the 50th merch we wanted in DS, except for the Oct 1st exclusives. Then we hit food and wine at Epcot and it was a dream. Light crowds, no waits whatsoever for Food & Wine booths or rides, Creations shop was a little busy but again, not that bad. We got a great spot for the soft opening of the terrrible Bargemonious show with a normal to large crowd. The following day in Magic Kindgom almost everything was a walk on up to a 30 minute wait. Of course, Magic Kingdom was crowded for the 50th but like everyone else we were shocked by the low wait times. Hollywood Studios today was very light, and we walked onto most attractions. Only a 30 minute wait at Rise of the Resistance and maybe a little more for Slinky Dog. The buses have been mostly light, very few people in line for the skyliner, and the monorail, too. We hit a couple of resorts and there weren’t too many people.

The point I’m trying to make is, where the heck are all the people who supposedly booked up all the hotels? We are so puzzled by this, and have pondered a few theories. COVID or mask policy cancellations? Limited release of room inventory at the resorts due to staffing/cutbacks? People going to HHS instead of WDW during the rest of thier stay? Alternate universe? I don’t get it. I’d love to hear what other people think!
We had a MK park day on the 28th, and it was amazing! My kids rode dumbo again and again without having to get back in line. I never thought I'd ever hear "if you would like to ride again, stay seated and we will be off shortly". It was incredible.

Crowd levels of 1 are great but just a reminder that a lot of people are still in the parks, it’s just the waits are low. I used to think a 1 meant it would feel like we had the park virtually to ourselves. This isn’t the case, the people will be there, the waits will just be reasonable.

This link is a great resource for seeing actual wait times. Use the date options to choose recent dates: https://www.thrill-data.com/waits/chain/wdw/2021/10/07/2021/10/07
I'm good with that. I've looked at wait times and even for the popular rides, they've been below where I expected. Hope it continues for our week.
Of course lower attendance also means less CMs working and not as many vehicles running on any particular ride, so it may balance out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter