When will DL reservations open for July and...

The State of California has apparently okay’ed theme parks to allow out-of-state guests who’ve been fully vaccinated. DL still hasn’t updated its policies, but state regulations are no longer an obstacle. Have to imagine their neighbors in Anaheim will be pressuring them to do just that. https://www.ocregister.com/2021/04/...ate-guidelines/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
Disney released a statement earlier today, per a few blogs, that they are not changing their policies. Currently SW is the only who is (although that could change)

The State of California has apparently okay’ed theme parks to allow out-of-state guests who’ve been fully vaccinated. DL still hasn’t updated its policies, but state regulations are no longer an obstacle. Have to imagine their neighbors in Anaheim will be pressuring them to do just that. https://www.ocregister.com/2021/04/...ate-guidelines/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
Blog Mickey says DL won't do like other theme parks in the state and allow vaccinated out of state visitors. I'm sure the local hotels are less than pleased.

https://blogmickey.com/2021/04/disn...te-visitors-despite-updated-state-guidelines/

The demand for DL/DCA appears to be soft -DHS tickets are harder to come by! I can see how they would be under a lot of pressure, both internally and from their neighbors, to open. That said, I can’t imagine the headaches (from a logistical and PR perspective) in making Disney become a “vaccine passport” enforcer. Really tough situation here.

The demand for DL/DCA appears to be soft -DHS tickets are harder to come by! I can see how they would be under a lot of pressure, both internally and from their neighbors, to open. That said, I can’t imagine the headaches (from a logistical and PR perspective) in making Disney become a “vaccine passport” enforcer. Really tough situation here.
I don't think they're under that much pressure internally, it's really only 6 extra weeks of out of state guests assuming the June 15th "reopening" of CA holds. If I was an exec I don't think it would be worth the extra staffing I would need to enforce the "vaccine passport". This is especially true if you count the fact that it technically excludes anyone who can't be vaccinated (under 16).

I don't think they're under that much pressure internally, it's really only 6 extra weeks of out of state guests assuming the June 15th "reopening" of CA holds. If I was an exec I don't think it would be worth the extra staffing I would need to enforce the "vaccine passport". This is especially true if you count the fact that it technically excludes anyone who can't be vaccinated (under 16).
I think it’s staffing as well as PR. I keep hearing of all these businesses and industries that will be requiring proof of passport, but notice no one wants to be the first to do it. A friend was told by an airline official they expected proof of vaccination to allow passengers to fly, but they were not wanting to be the first company to require it. Again, we’re starting to hit critical mass where public accommodation businesses that choose to *can* start asking for proof of vaccination, but from what I can tell no one’s eager to do so.

If CDC comes out with rec like Proof of vaccination allows exception to masking rule -- people and companies will jump on it in a sec.

Adding on a layer for checking vaccination without benefit beyond increase the bucket size a few weeks earlier -- not going to happen widely. Disney going to wait to Jun 15 would be my bet.

I think that is a big part, too. It’s not very Disney to exclude kids. Probably not worth the damage to the brand for a relatively small amount of profit over 6 weeks. Sea World doesn’t have that kind of a brand to worry about (and from what I’ve read, they’ll just let people in, anyway). Universal is middle-of-the-road, so I’ll be curious to see their decision.

I bet Six Flags will allow those with vaccine, in. They don’t get many young kids, anyway.

I think that is a big part, too. It’s not very Disney to exclude kids. Probably not worth the damage to the brand for a relatively small amount of profit over 6 weeks. Sea World doesn’t have that kind of a brand to worry about (and from what I’ve read, they’ll just let people in, anyway). Universal is middle-of-the-road, so I’ll be curious to see their decision.

I bet Six Flags will allow those with vaccine, in. They don’t get many young kids, anyway.

Requiring a vaccine is a road Disney probably doesn't want to go down, for a lot of reasons. Some people are not able to get vaccinated for a variety of reasons - not everyone has a choice. It seems like the better solution would be either a vaccine or a negative test within a specified timeframe. Either way, though, it would be simpler all around to just wait until this requirement is dropped.

I think it’s staffing as well as PR. I keep hearing of all these businesses and industries that will be requiring proof of passport, but notice no one wants to be the first to do it. A friend was told by an airline official they expected proof of vaccination to allow passengers to fly, but they were not wanting to be the first company to require it. Again, we’re starting to hit critical mass where public accommodation businesses that choose to *can* start asking for proof of vaccination, but from what I can tell no one’s eager to do so.
Actually, all ball parks and arenas in CA are doing exactly this. Our family has attended baseball games in CA, and for ball parks to include out of state guests, everyone has to be vaccinated or have a negative test if over the age of 11. Since someone on twitter has said theme parks are being allowed to do the same as ball parks, those that do will be required to have a negative test on all 12-15 and anyone not vaccinated.

Requiring a vaccine is a road Disney probably doesn't want to go down, for a lot of reasons. Some people are not able to get vaccinated for a variety of reasons - not everyone has a choice. It seems like the better solution would be either a vaccine or a negative test within a specified timeframe. Either way, though, it would be simpler all around to just wait until this requirement is dropped.
Yes, and we don’t know what Disney knows. If they’ve been told there will be no requirement by June 15, it is just easier and less controversial for them to wait.

Actually, all ball parks and arenas in CA are doing exactly this. Our family has attended baseball games in CA, and for ball parks to include out of state guests, everyone has to be vaccinated or have a negative test if over the age of 11. Since someone on twitter has said theme parks are being allowed to do the same as ball parks, those that do will be required to have a negative test on all 12-15 and anyone not vaccinated.

The guidance for ballparks is different from the allowance for vaccinated out-of-staters to go to other activities. Live indoor and outdoor events (like ball games) re-opened with testing/vaccine guidelines of their own, with specifications allowing for “vaccinated only and/or tested sections”. Each sports venue is handling it differently. The Angels are not doing any vaccinated/tested sections at all and have a lower event capacity. The Padres have unvaccinated/un-tested social distanced sections, and tested/vaccinated sections where people sit closer together. These sections also allow for unvaccinated children over the age of two to sit with their parents as long as they have a negative test. Children under the age of two do not need a negative test. This information can be found on at the bottom of page 9 of this document: https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/CDPH Document Library/COVID-19/Dimmer-Framework-September_2020.pdf

On page 8 of this document, the addendum states, “Fully vaccinated persons from out of state may visit or attend activities or events that are restricted to in-state visitors. Fully vaccinated persons should consult the current CDPH Travel Advisory and adhere to any applicable recommendations.” It does not say anything about being able to visit or attend activities with a negative COViD test. It appears that is only an exemption for live events where you pretty much stationary the entire time you are there.

Maybe it was because San Francisco wanted out of state, or a higher capacity seating....

From SF Giants site:
"COVID-19 TESTING/PROOF OF VACCINATION REQUIREMENT
All fans 12 years and older sitting in socially distanced seating locations are required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test or a full COVID-19 vaccination, in order to gain entry to Oracle Park. Children under 12 are not required to provide negative test results. If testing, the Giants strongly encourage fans to take a PCR-type test over a rapid antigen test."

I see San Diego and Oakland are doing it differently by having a section of the ball park at 30% and not requiring vaccines, but the rest of the park can be at 67% with vaccines.

Maybe it was because San Francisco wanted out of state, or a higher capacity seating....

From SF Giants site:
"COVID-19 TESTING/PROOF OF VACCINATION REQUIREMENT
All fans 12 years and older sitting in socially distanced seating locations are required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test or a full COVID-19 vaccination, in order to gain entry to Oracle Park. Children under 12 are not required to provide negative test results. If testing, the Giants strongly encourage fans to take a PCR-type test over a rapid antigen test."

I see San Diego and Oakland are doing it differently by having a section of the ball park at 30% and not requiring vaccines, but the rest of the park can be at 67% with vaccines.
12-year-olds can't even GET the vaccine yet!

At this point, I think it all comes down to what Knott's chooses to do.

If Knott's chooses to deal with the logistics of allowing put of state visitors before June 15th, Disney will likely follow suit, because they actually have a very low demand level right now and unless they decide to bring back annual passes or something like it, that isn't likely to change without out of state visitors. But at the same time there wouldn't likely be enough out of state visitors to make the headaches worthwhile if Disney were the only park in Orange County allowing them.

Knott's may have more of an incentive to allow out of state visitors, as they have season passholders from other states and there is a bit of a logistical issue with how to handle that, especially any that have the highest pass level. Right now, the new expiration dates end before any of the seasonal parks would open for the 2022 season and since add-ons are also extended, this means extending to early May has no real impact on the other parks. But if out of state visitors aren't allowed, it isn't really fair to them to only extend to early May. So, I can definitely see the potential for Knott's to.open up.to.out of state visitors. The all season dining.in particular is problematic due to Costs associated with it.

SeaWorld had this problem on an even bigger level, as they have a lot of Platinum passholders out there in other states that hold SeaWorld San Diego as thier home park because they were grandfathered into the same low price for life on monthly payments. This is likely why they were so quick to jump.on board with allowing out of state visitors, as it solved a major issue for them. SeaWorld introduced all season dining for 2020 and so they are in a bit of a bind with that.

If Knott's sticks to in state only, Disney will likely do the same.

I would predict Universal will do whatever Disney and Magic Mountain do.

Magic Mountain is of course the other wild card here and may impact what Universal does, in which case Disney would have little choice but to follow and they are likely.in a similar boat with thier meal plans.

Now the parks with all season dining may do the math and figure out 6 extra weeks of all season dining for out of state visitors in the form of an extension won't break the bank, but there is no guarantee that the state will open up on June 15th and things may be tight for them already.

So ultimately, it is anyone's guess as to how this will go, but ultimately it will likely be Knott's, Magic Mountain and SeaWorld driving the policies in this case.

The guidance for ballparks is different from the allowance for vaccinated out-of-staters to go to other activities. Live indoor and outdoor events (like ball games) re-opened with testing/vaccine guidelines of their own, with specifications allowing for “vaccinated only and/or tested sections”. Each sports venue is handling it differently. The Angels are not doing any vaccinated/tested sections at all and have a lower event capacity. The Padres have unvaccinated/un-tested social distanced sections, and tested/vaccinated sections where people sit closer together. These sections also allow for unvaccinated children over the age of two to sit with their parents as long as they have a negative test. Children under the age of two do not need a negative test. This information can be found on at the bottom of page 9 of this document: https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/CDPH Document Library/COVID-19/Dimmer-Framework-September_2020.pdf

On page 8 of this document, the addendum states, “Fully vaccinated persons from out of state may visit or attend activities or events that are restricted to in-state visitors. Fully vaccinated persons should consult the current CDPH Travel Advisory and adhere to any applicable recommendations.” It does not say anything about being able to visit or attend activities with a negative COViD test. It appears that is only an exemption for live events where you pretty much stationary the entire time you are there.
Even if vaccinated or able to present a test, can I please have the unvaccinated section please? I like my space.....lol

At this point, I think it all comes down to what Knott's chooses to do.

If Knott's chooses to deal with the logistics of allowing put of state visitors before June 15th, Disney will likely follow suit, because they actually have a very low demand level right now and unless they decide to bring back annual passes or something like it, that isn't likely to change without out of state visitors. But at the same time there wouldn't likely be enough out of state visitors to make the headaches worthwhile if Disney were the only park in Orange County allowing them.

Knott's may have more of an incentive to allow out of state visitors, as they have season passholders from other states and there is a bit of a logistical issue with how to handle that, especially any that have the highest pass level. Right now, the new expiration dates end before any of the seasonal parks would open for the 2022 season and since add-ons are also extended, this means extending to early May has no real impact on the other parks. But if out of state visitors aren't allowed, it isn't really fair to them to only extend to early May. So, I can definitely see the potential for Knott's to.open up.to.out of state visitors. The all season dining.in particular is problematic due to Costs associated with it.

SeaWorld had this problem on an even bigger level, as they have a lot of Platinum passholders out there in other states that hold SeaWorld San Diego as thier home park because they were grandfathered into the same low price for life on monthly payments. This is likely why they were so quick to jump.on board with allowing out of state visitors, as it solved a major issue for them. SeaWorld introduced all season dining for 2020 and so they are in a bit of a bind with that.

If Knott's sticks to in state only, Disney will likely do the same.

I would predict Universal will do whatever Disney and Magic Mountain do.

Magic Mountain is of course the other wild card here and may impact what Universal does, in which case Disney would have little choice but to follow and they are likely.in a similar boat with thier meal plans.

Now the parks with all season dining may do the math and figure out 6 extra weeks of all season dining for out of state visitors in the form of an extension won't break the bank, but there is no guarantee that the state will open up on June 15th and things may be tight for them already.

So ultimately, it is anyone's guess as to how this will go, but ultimately it will likely be Knott's, Magic Mountain and SeaWorld driving the policies in this case.
While I agree each park will make their own decision, I completely disagree that Disney will to Knotts for guidance. Knotts doesn’t have that kind of pull over Disney. Neither does Six Flags or Sea World. What they elect to do really has no bearing on Disney. And unlike other theme parks, Disney doesn’t have anything outstanding to out of state guests that are losing any value.

There really isn’t incentive for Disney to worry about the 6 weeks we’re talking about. The headache of checking state ID and vaccination records/negative Covid tests is something I’m surprised any theme park is taking on right now.

Agreed. Just go somewhere else where you don't have to deal with this insanity. 🙄

Sticking with WDW is becoming a better decision day by day. I can wait- no Disneyland trip is worth making my kid undergo a bunch of covid tests to be allowed in.

Regardless of what this means, I just don't see Disneyland requiring vaccination proof- I bet they would just wait. But with that reservation calendar looking so empty, who knows.
This is exactly what I was thinking reading all this. We are booked in Aug & are fully vaccinated except for DS who is 3. I will not subject him to a Covid test or any other nonsense just to get into CA. We will stick with FL.

Hopefully by July this is cleared up. Will be fully vaccinated and be in SD for a wedding and wanted to go to DL for a few days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter