When Two Holidays Collide! An Oct. 2012 PTR UPDATE 6/30 Disneyland stuff

MinnieLovesMickey

Save the L-402!
[/QUOTE]:welcome: all to my first attempt at a PTR!
I’ve been reading everybody’s Trip Reports and have caught the fever:sick: and decided I needed to do my own. This way, I can give my DH, my mom, friends, siblings, co workers a break for my crazy over planning. Most conversations end up like this, “Speaking of the water bill, should we order water for Disney from Garden Grocer, or Costco, or pick it up from Wal-Mart? Or, “I read on the DISboards…” :rolleyes1

Here’s the plan for our trip.

Dates: October 30-November 14.
Resort: Art of Animation Resort-Little Mermaid Section (was Pop Century until Disney Parks Blog mentioned pushing up the opening date of this section to Sept. 15.:yay:)
Goals for the trip: Food and Wine Festival, MNSSHP, MVMCP, DS”s first hair cut, Wishes Dessert Party, and maybe a day at Blizzard Beach.

And now The Cast of Characters:

Minnie and Mickey:::MinnieMo::MickeyMo
image068.jpg

Me:
Mother to Baby P, obsessed with everything Disney, especially trip planning.
Favorite character: Aladdin and Jasmine (I know that's 2, but I can't separate them).
Disney dream: to stay Club Level at one of the MK resorts and if that’s not possible, Cinderella Castle will do:rotfl2:.
First Disney Visit: I took my first trip to Disney when I was 15 to DL.

I have gone 20+ times since DH and I took our first trip (also the trip we got engaged) in 2001. We married at DLR in 2002. My first trip to the World was in December 2007, this will be the 9th trip to WDW.

DH:
Father to Baby P, also obsessed with Disney. It was actually his idea for me to write this PTR after I was showing him kmedina’s TR and asked why we’ve never done one:worship:. Okay now back on track.
Favorite character: Jessica Rabbit, he has 6 tattoos of her.
Disney Dream: To visit the Walt Disney Studios in Burbank.
First trip to Disney: DH took his first trip to DL when he was 6 and didn’t return until our first trip in 2001.

He’s gone 20+ plus times as well…what, did you think he was going to let me go have my picture with Mickey without him:rotfl:? Ha, ha! His first trip to WDW was also in 2007 and this will be his 9th trip as well. His Disney dream is to visit the Walt Disney Studios in Burbank, CA.

Baby P::earboy2:
Photo0263FourBySix.jpg

The apple of our eye, he is such a little character. He was 4 months in this picture, getting his first picture with Santa at Epcot.
Favorite Disney character: Mickey Mouse.
He loves watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and Jake and the Neverland Pirates, his favorite song is Hakuna Matata.
Disney Dream: His dream is to be a Disney Imagineer, if Mommy and Daddy have brain washed him properly!:rolleyes1

This will be his 3rd trip to WDW, his first was when I was 8 weeks pregnant. His first “official” trip was when he was 4 months old. He will be taking his first trip to DL in July 2012 for his first birthday.

Can’t wait to share my planning journey with all of you.

Sorry, already had my first change of plans, the name of my report! I'm sure there will be many more changes to come.
Next up:

Mickey Mail! No, not THAT Mickey Mail.

Before I move on to my delivery from Mickey, I figured I'd share the purpose of this trip.

During our many trips, we've always managed to miss the Food and Wine Festival. We've gone at the end of Sept. for our anniversary, but missed it by 2 days. We've booked during October twice now but have always ended up changing it to December to enjoy all of the resort decorations and it would end up being about $500 cheaper.

The goal this year is to go, no changing the dates! That's why we picked the end of October. We will be able to do it all! I've started typing up our trip itinerary and I'm starting to wonder if two weeks is going to be enough.:sad2: After spending 68 days at WDW over the past 5 years, you wouldn't think there would be that much more to do.

Since this will be our first F&W Festival, I would love to hear about everyone's favorite dishes, drinks, or just in general, how to conquer this massive feat.

I guess this will have to do for now.:goodvibes
IMAG1404.jpg

Yup, a special delivery from the Disney Store. I figure, it's never too early to start purchasing stuff for the trip.

Tee Shirts for Baby P
IMAG1408.jpg

I made sure to get them a little larger so we can use them for DL in July and will hopefully still fit him in October.
IMAG1407.jpg

A sun hat to protect his fair skin.
IMAG1406.jpg

Mickey likes these Disney button up shirts so I thought it would be cute for them to match!:goodvibes

Something for Mickey
IMAG1409.jpg

And something for Minnie
IMAG1405.jpg

Well, that's the first of what I'm sure will be many more shopping trips for this vacation.

UP NEXT... ADRS BABY!

Hi I found you on the Oct thread. You little guy is so cute! We thought about doing that week as well to get both holidays in, but DH couldn't get that week off work, so we are going the week before. We got to see a lot of the Xmas decorations when we were there this past Jan.
I'll be following along!!

Hi I found you on the Oct thread. You little guy is so cute! We thought about doing that week as well to get both holidays in, but DH couldn't get that week off work, so we are going the week before. We got to see a lot of the Xmas decorations when we were there this past Jan.
I'll be following along!!

Woo Hoo, I have a fan!:banana: :welcome: make yourself at home! And thank you about the cute Baby P comment, he unfortunately knows he's cute and uses that to the best of his ability.:rotfl2:

I just subscribed to your PTR as well.

Okay let's try this again. I just had it finished, went to submit it and I was told to log in.:headache: Apparently I can't type fast enough.

Anyways...I hate to say it, but I already have all my ADRs chosen, in fact, I started choosing back in December when we were still in WDW.:sad2: However, I still have 40 days until 180+10, so....

We are doing the DDP, not for the savings, just because I like to order what I want and not worry about the prices (plus I'm a refillable mug hoarder:rotfl2:).

Without further adieu, (drum roll please) here are our ADRs ADRs are subject to change without notice due to availability, bad reviews on the Dis, or sheer boredom on author's part.:rotfl2:

*50s Prime Time Cafe*-this is a family favorite, I love the strawberry sundaes and Mickey LOVES the fried chicken, he even asks for seconds on the collard greens:eek: (this is actually the look on the CMs face when he asks for more). We will be dining here twice during our trip.
*Mama Melrose's*-Fantasmic Dining Package, this a family tradition.
*Sci Fi Cafe*-haven't been here since our first trip in 2007.
*Akershus*-I can't wait to see how Baby P does with all those princesses doting on him.
*Chefs de France*-hope to be able to see Remy.
*Rose & Crown**-another must do every trip, love eating there and watching Illuminations.
*Tokyo Dining*-can't wait to try this!
*House of Blues*-have eaten at the one at DTD in DL.
*Raglan Road*-can't wait to try the bread pudding.
*Yak and Yeti*-love the wok fried green beans.
*Grand Floridian Cafe*-Mickey really wants to try the Grand Floridian Burger and I can't pass up the onion soup.:love:
*Kona Cafe*-we've been here a few times in the past, love the food, the service can use some work, we'll give it one more shot.
*'Ohana-wanted to try a character breakfast and this sounded great to us.

*-Lunch ressie
*-Dinner ressie

Now I have 40 days to figure out when to est where. Wish us luck on trying to do all of this plus F&W. Might have to give up eating for a few weeks prior to the trip, but I'm up for the challenge.:thumbsup2

UP NEXT:

1ST TIME TRAVELING WITH A TODDLER-WISH US LUCK

I am glad you started a trip report. You're off to a really good start. Peyton is adorable! I love that you're calling yourselves Mickey and Minnie. Mickey is so much better than Crap! Our next trip will be during the food and wine festival for 2013. The food is amazing, so you will enjoy it.

I always start planning my next trip before I've even taken the current one, so I think it is perfectly normal. Long before the 180+10 mark, I know every restaurant I want to eat at. As soon as the park schedule is released, I will set up the order. You have chosen some good ones. Chef Mickey's is a must every trip for Xander just as we go to Minnie and Friends Breakfast every time we go to Dl.

I love all your Disney gear. Even though I always complain that boys stuff is not as cute as girls stuff, once in a while I see things that are completely adorable. That mechanics shirt fits the bill. We did not go to MNSSHP party last time we where there in October, and I regret it. You are going to have fun, I bet.

I am glad you started a trip report. You're off to a really good start. Peyton is adorable! I love that you're calling yourselves Mickey and Minnie.

Thank you for the compliment! He is our pride and joy.

Mickey is so much better than Crap! Our next trip will be during the food and wine festival for 2013. The food is amazing, so you will enjoy it.

Well, I really liked Princess Consuela (sp) and Crapbag, but since they were already taken...
I can't wait to try the food! We'll see how far we make it through the booths, we may have to do it again next year.

I always start planning my next trip before I've even taken the current one, so I think it is perfectly normal. Long before the 180+10 mark, I know every restaurant I want to eat at. As soon as the park schedule is released, I will set up the order. You have chosen some good ones. Chef Mickey's is a must every trip for Xander just as we go to Minnie and Friends Breakfast every time we go to Dl.

I've been thinking about adding another breakfast, plus I think P would love seeing Minnie.

I love all your Disney gear. Even though I always complain that boys stuff is not as cute as girls stuff, once in a while I see things that are completely adorable. That mechanics shirt fits the bill. We did not go to MNSSHP party last time we where there in October, and I regret it. You are going to have fun, I bet.

That the one thing that really upsets me about Disney is that unless you want Marvel (not a big fan), there isn't a greatest selection for boys. I guess it's better that way so we're not shelling out $150 to go to BBB each trip.:rotfl:

I'm already trying to figure out costumes for the three of us. I saw a really cute Mike Waszowski costume online, I might do Rapunzel or DH wants me to be Maleficent, DH is thinking maybe Blackbeard.

:welcome: Look, now I have groupies:lmao:! Thanks for joining in.

Hopefully I will have an update tonight, as long as Baby P wants to take a nap.

Hi, I'm following your trip report too.

We thought about the Art of Animation Resort after you suggested it on my trip report and if we decide to switch back to a Value I think that is where we are going to stay when we go.

We have been the the Halloween Party twice and really enjoy it. One of the biggest debates on our trip (in 2013 so long to wait) is if we go over Halloween again and get the Christmas Party was well or if we try a entirely new time of year and wait till the end of January. I really love Food and Wine, one suggestion I have is go during the week not the weekend if possible, it gets really busy on the weekends.

As for traveling with a toddler it isn't too bad. I did India with an 18 month old and am still here to tell the tale. Fortunately all three of mine will sleep most anywhere, and love to nap while in a baby carrier which helps immensely when traveling.

Hi, I'm following your trip report too.

We thought about the Art of Animation Resort after you suggested it on my trip report and if we decide to switch back to a Value I think that is where we are going to stay when we go.

We have been the the Halloween Party twice and really enjoy it. One of the biggest debates on our trip (in 2013 so long to wait) is if we go over Halloween again and get the Christmas Party was well or if we try a entirely new time of year and wait till the end of January. I really love Food and Wine, one suggestion I have is go during the week not the weekend if possible, it gets really busy on the weekends.

As for traveling with a toddler it isn't too bad. I did India with an 18 month old and am still here to tell the tale. Fortunately all three of mine will sleep most anywhere, and love to nap while in a baby carrier which helps immensely when traveling.

Hi:wave: and:welcome: glad to have you following along.

I was really looking forward to staying in one of the family suites at AoA until I saw the price!:scared1: I can get 2 rooms cheaper than one suite. I'd rather wait a couple of years and invest in DVC instead.

DH and I did MNSSHP back in 2008 when it was raining and I had a cold for the past couple of days. I will finally get my do over.

Thanks for the heads up on F&W. I try to avoid the parks on the weekend if possible any way.

Okay, now that P is down for his nap, it's time for an update.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, Peyton went to WDW last year when he was 4 and 1/2 months. He was such an easy baby, he ate when he wanted to, even more than he does at home, he napped in his stroller so we never had to return midday to the room. He slept through Wishes, watched Illuminations with Daddy, and didn't even jump during the cannonball shot in Fantasmic (I still jump at it and I've seen the show at least a dozen times in the last 10 years:rotfl:).

He was a big fan of the characters. He met Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, Duffy, and Stitch and was very fascinated with them. I'll have to search my photopass cd collection for the picture of Baby P trying to eat Stitch's nose.

I know he's not going to remember any of this on our next trip and I'm hoping he's not going to develop a fear of these things. I guess our real test will be when we go to DL in July as we'll be eating at Goofy's Kitchen for his birthday and I hoping to watch fireworks one night.

We're hoping we won't have to fight him to get in his stroller, assuming he'll be walking by then. I'm already planning on getting one of those Mickey Mouse harnesses so he can have a little freedom and I promise not to tie him on a fence while I ride the carousel. If you're not sure what I'm talking about, check out this link to the Disturbing/Odd Picture thread http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=42901723&postcount=874, I still can't figure out whether to laugh or be sad.

He's a pretty fearless little boy already so I hope he keeps that trait or I have a vision of him standing at the exit to Dinosaur with his scaredy cat mom.:rotfl2:

I worried a lot about how he would do last time and he was amazing! Keeping my fingers crossed.

Connor did really well and all of the exact same things (sleeping in the stroller rather than the room, nursring everywhere and frequently, loved the characters, etc). I do not get why people say do not bring babies. He was the easiest person on our trip. Hopefully, Peyton will be good for you again. Xander was 4 months old the first time he went to Disney and got a little harder each trip. He finally started getting easier again on the most recent trip (when we were there at the same time as your family). His hardest trip ever was the one right before that or the one right before that. The trips are still awesome and worth every minute. I would do it all over again. No regrets.

That's a great ADR list! We haven't done the Fantasmic package before. Is it really worth it? We are going to be at DHS on a non recommended day so that we can see Fantasmic again. Just wondering if the dinner/lunch package really makes a difference?

OMG! That pic of that poor girl strapped to the fence!:scared1: I feel sorry for her that she is just standing there watching everyone else have fun.:sad2:

Connor did really well and all of the exact same things (sleeping in the stroller rather than the room, nursring everywhere and frequently, loved the characters, etc). I do not get why people say do not bring babies. He was the easiest person on our trip. Hopefully, Peyton will be good for you again. Xander was 4 months old the first time he went to Disney and got a little harder each trip. He finally started getting easier again on the most recent trip (when we were there at the same time as your family). His hardest trip ever was the one right before that or the one right before that. The trips are still awesome and worth every minute. I would do it all over again. No regrets.

I don't understand what's so bad about bringing a baby.:confused3 DH and I had so many people try to convince us that Peyton wasn't going to remember any of it or you won't be able to do anything with a baby. Than again, I think most of these people have never been to Disney.:sad2: I figure each trip is going to be like the first time for a while just because of being at different developmental milestones, so everything will seem new to him. I know I shouldn't worry about it, but I'm an over planner (seem to be a common ailment of the Dis :rotfl2:) and I want to know what to expect.

In the long run, we'll still have tons of fun. I'd rather have a bad day at Disney than a good day at home anytime.:goodvibes

That's a great ADR list! We haven't done the Fantasmic package before. Is it really worth it? We are going to be at DHS on a non recommended day so that we can see Fantasmic again. Just wondering if the dinner/lunch package really makes a difference?

The first reason we get it is, we are fed before the show. I feel bad for the families trying to eat or get something to eat while waiting in line for 2 hours. That's something we just couldn't handle. Remember the episode of Friends where it was Phoebe's birthday and everyone but Joey was late, Joey went to use the bathroom, Phoebe cracked and ended up at the 2 seater table? Well, that's me when it comes to waiting in line for a show or parade, I will crack and have a bunch of strangers moving in on my territory.:scared:

We love the convenience of doing the package just because we hate waiting in lines for very long (20 minutes is like our max). There's a separate section just slightly off of center stage that is set aside just for those with the package. We've been to it when it was quite busy and they were still not letting non package people sit in that portion of the theater, so by showtime, it still wasn't super full. Just the part of not being squished in like sardines was enough to sell me on it.

Oh, plus the food is pretty good at Mama Melrose's, love the calamari appitizer.

OMG! That pic of that poor girl strapped to the fence!:scared1: I feel sorry for her that she is just standing there watching everyone else have fun.:sad2:

I wonder if a CM ever remove her from the fence?

Can you imagine the conversation that led to this,"Now for walking so slow that we couldn't get Fastpasses for Space Mountain, we are going to tie you to this fire hydrant while we ride the Tea Cups!":lmao: So, I know that's mean.:rolleyes1

Sorry it's been a couple of days since I've posted. I've been a little side tracked by my sister who will be taking her family (hopefully) on their first trip to Disneyland! I've been very excited because she's been asking me for lots of advice on which dates to go, food, rides the kids can go on (the kids are 7, 6, 4, and 2).

Anytime I'm allowed to discuss anything Disney and not get the eye roll is a very good day!

Well, I have a mini update.

We booked our flights to Disney World!:woohoo::dance3:

We leave SMF at 10:20am (PDT) and arrive at MCO at 8:40pm (EDT). All in all, only a little over 7hr trip, not too bad at all. We have a 1 1/2 hour layover in Denver, we'll actually have time to grab something to eat as I can't really live off of Southwest 100 calorie pack snacks.

We've changed our flights. We'll be taking the first flight out that morning and we'll now be getting in at 4:55pm. Now, we'll be able to hit the grocery store that night instead of losing very valuable park time.

So far, it's just the one way as SW doesn't release the flights for our return date until May 20 or 21.

Disney World, here we come!

Just a few pictures from the last trip to get more into the "Disney Mood".

Here we are waiting to meet Mickey.
waitingformickey-1.jpg

I seriously think he looks like Baby Dopey in this picture, so cute!

After watching the Move It, Shake It, Celebrate It Parade.
Photo0176FourBySix-1.jpg

Photo0168FourBySix-1.jpg

The Photopass photographer was doing some candid pics as I'm hunting through my purse trying to find my Photopass card. I'm glad I found it. DH had no idea the guy was taking pictures. The guy took like a dozen pictures!

The happy family on their last day:sad1:
Photo0294FourBySix-1-1.jpg

I don't understand what's so bad about bringing a baby.:confused3 DH and I had so many people try to convince us that Peyton wasn't going to remember any of it or you won't be able to do anything with a baby. Than again, I think most of these people have never been to Disney.:sad2: I figure each trip is going to be like the first time for a while just because of being at different developmental milestones, so everything will seem new to him. I know I shouldn't worry about it, but I'm an over planner (seem to be a common ailment of the Dis :rotfl2:) and I want to know what to expect.

A baby is so much easier then a 2 1/2 year old or a 5 year old. Since when they are little you can just pick them up and go, as they get older they get more attitude and contrary and they have their own opinions on things and can quite loudly share them. Much harder for them to do before they are 18 months or so.

In fact on our next trip I am pretty sure I am going to miss having a baby with us when I have to take into consideration what the almost 7 year old, almost 5 year old and what the almost 3 year old want to do. Since I am sure they will all have their own ideas and all want to do something different at the same time, and I can almost guarantee that the 5 and 7 year old will try to act like they are big enough to go off on their own. I will take a baby I can pick up and strap into a stroller or a carrier any day over that :thumbsup2.

Oh and yay for a layover with enough time to eat hopefully. As a note I normally bring a bunch of snacks with me anyways, because snacks often work well with small people on planes. I find fresh fruit cut up is a favorite, so I always try to have things like strawberries, blueberries, cut apples, and oranges in small containers in my carry on for when the small people get grumpy. Sugar works too, but I prefer healthy snacks to giving them too many gummy bears, jelly beans, m&ms and lollipops.

A baby is so much easier then a 2 1/2 year old or a 5 year old. Since when they are little you can just pick them up and go, as they get older they get more attitude and contrary and they have their own opinions on things and can quite loudly share them. Much harder for them to do before they are 18 months or so.

In fact on our next trip I am pretty sure I am going to miss having a baby with us when I have to take into consideration what the almost 7 year old, almost 5 year old and what the almost 3 year old want to do. Since I am sure they will all have their own ideas and all want to do something different at the same time, and I can almost guarantee that the 5 and 7 year old will try to act like they are big enough to go off on their own. I will take a baby I can pick up and strap into a stroller or a carrier any day over that :thumbsup2.

I definitely am expecting attitude of some knid, especially when it's time to get in the stroller after a parade or something.

Oh and yay for a layover with enough time to eat hopefully. As a note I normally bring a bunch of snacks with me anyways, because snacks often work well with small people on planes. I find fresh fruit cut up is a favorite, so I always try to have things like strawberries, blueberries, cut apples, and oranges in small containers in my carry on for when the small people get grumpy. Sugar works too, but I prefer healthy snacks to giving them too many gummy bears, jelly beans, m&ms and lollipops.

i will make sure to have a surplus of snacks for the plane ride. We'll have a rental car for the trip, so we'll probably make a trip over to Winn Dixie for more snacks for the parks.

How did your kids do with the characters?

I forgot to ask all of you a very important question. Did any of you use rider swap on your trips? How did it work? Was it convenient or a hassle? Would you recommend it? Is it for all rides or just those with fastpasses?

Okay, I think I'm good now.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter