When during cruise do you buy placeholder?

You can join the line at the booking desk 'virtually' through the app (or at a kiosk near the desk) and then the app will alert you when you are next in line so I usually do that now sometime during the cruise.

We are box droppers as well. Usually do it towards the end of the cruise, but I try not to wait until the last night.

Is the cost of the placeholder credited against the cost of the newly booked cruise?

Yep! It goes to your deposit.

So regarding the placeholders on the form do you have to put who you intend to cruise with/can you change it? Cause as much as I love DH I might want to ditch him and go with my sister or something.

As I understand it, the main guest on the placeholder has to sail, but the other names can be changed. So don't put his name first, I guess :)

Is the cost of the placeholder credited against the cost of the newly booked cruise?
Yes, the $250 we paid for the placeholder went against our Alaskan cruise at the time we booked it, which was a month after our first cruise. Another benefit (hopefully still the case) is that you get an $100 onboard credit if the future cruise is 3-6 nights and $200 if the cruise is 7 nights or longer.

The last night. We're having scheduling issues, and it's looking like we're going to reschedule a cruise to 4 days before our placeholder expires. If we'd booked the first night, we'd be sunk. So to speak.

So regarding the placeholders on the form do you have to put who you intend to cruise with/can you change it? Cause as much as I love DH I might want to ditch him and go with my sister or something.
You need to indicate everyone who will be sailing in order for them to receive the onboard-booking 10% discount. You can change the passengers later, as long as it’s before final payment and the lead guest remains the same, but people added to the reservation later won’t get the discount.

Yes, when you convert a placeholder to a specific cruise, the $200 you paid for placeholder will be applied to the deposit, and, if the deposit is less than $200 or you’re within the final payment period, to the rest of the cruise cost.

You need to indicate everyone who will be sailing in order for them to receive the onboard-booking 10% discount. You can change the passengers later, as long as it’s before final payment and the lead guest remains the same, but people added to the reservation later won’t get the discount.

Oh ok good to know! Thanks!

There's some bad information in previous posts. Check out https://disneycruiselineblog.com/wp...ooking-Promo-Placeholder-Forms-April-2017.pdf for the actual terms. There is no concept of "lead guest" needing to remain on the reservation. Exact wording is "name changes to the reservation may be made so long as one adult on the original booking remains on the reservation". There is a lead guest on the reservation who will get communications and the onboard credit in their name, but you can swap the lead guest to be another guest on the reservation if you want.

Sorry, but this is wrong in many ways. You can change all passengers except for one adult (doesn't have to be lead guest that remains) and it can be done even after final payment. Also, if you're adding people to the reservation later, they will get the onboard discount but it will be applied to rates that are in place at the time you add them, which could be higher than when the original reservation was made. The discount is tied to the reservation as long as one original adult remains on it.

Ok... so where please do you go on the Disney Dream to make a placeholder? Is it guest services? What deck ? If not then where / how to do you go about securing a placeholder as im looking to get this out of the road ASAP so I don’t forget - tia

T.T.F.N.
&
CHEERS Y’ALL:goodvibes

Ok... so where please do you go on the Disney Dream to make a placeholder? Is it guest services? What deck ? If not then where / how to do you go about securing a placeholder as im looking to get this out of the road ASAP so I don’t forget - tia
It's on Deck 4 near D lounge, marked Disney Vacation Planning.

What notification or receipt do you receive from DCL in order to turn it over to DU or another TA?
As I understand it, the placeholder is automatically "linked" to the TA you used for the cruise you are on at time of booking. When we've used the desk to make a placeholder, they ask "will you be using XYZ Travel Agency for this booking?" The drop-box card also has a line to specify the TA. I have heard in the past that it is difficult to apply a placeholder booking to a different TA than used for your current cruise, but am not 100% certain this is still the case

I don't know anything about buying a placeholder...first DLC in November of 2020. If we cruise again, it would likely be 20 months later so we would be ok on timing.

For November 2020, we have 2 cabins with 2 adults in each cabin (+ 2 kids in one). For 20 months later, we would need 3 cabins - 2 adults in each plus kids in two of the cabins. Can the adults on the 2020 cruise buy 3 placeholder cabins for future cruising even though we only have 2 cabins on that cruise? And what is a typical savings (%wise) of buying placeholders? 10% less than future released prices? Or greater?

ETA - there is so much conflicting information regarding placeholder reservations on this thread - let me know if I should just start my own thread on this or wait until the cruise to get answers.

As I understand it, the placeholder is automatically "linked" to the TA you used for the cruise you are on at time of booking. When we've used the desk to make a placeholder, they ask "will you be using XYZ Travel Agency for this booking?"

We did the drop-in-the-box thing the last full day and made sure to write the TA in - my MIL had actually done the original bookings so we wanted to make sure it all went through properly.

I don't know anything about buying a placeholder...first DLC in November of 2020. If we cruise again, it would likely be 20 months later so we would be ok on timing.

For November 2020, we have 2 cabins with 2 adults in each cabin (+ 2 kids in one). For 20 months later, we would need 3 cabins - 2 adults in each plus kids in two of the cabins. Can the adults on the 2020 cruise buy 3 placeholder cabins for future cruising even though we only have 2 cabins on that cruise? And what is a typical savings (%wise) of buying placeholders? 10% less than future released prices? Or greater?

ETA - there is so much conflicting information regarding placeholder reservations on this thread - let me know if I should just start my own thread on this or wait until the cruise to get answers.
Yeah, lots of wrong info here, unfortunately. Check out https://disneycruiselineblog.com/wp...ooking-Promo-Placeholder-Forms-April-2017.pdf for the actual terms which I posted above too. For your question, the answer depends on whether the adults are the same household or not. "This offer is limited to two staterooms on one future cruise date (per household sailing)." If the 4 adults have same mailing address, then you can only get two staterooms, if they have different mailing addresses, then you can get the 3 you need. If they had 4 different mailing addresses, then you could get a total of 8! :)

[QUOTE "This offer is limited to two staterooms on one future cruise date (per household sailing)." If the 4 adults have same mailing address, then you can only get two staterooms, if they have different mailing addresses, then you can get the 3 you need. If they had 4 different mailing addresses, then you could get a total of 8! :)
[/QUOTE]
Thank you for the link. I will read the details. We have 2 different households on the 2020 cruise and it will be a third different household in 2022.

We just got off the Wonder on Monday and we had a long discussion with the CM about the placeholder. We were told that only one person listed on the sheet (you can list 5 per room) has to remain for the final booking. So we booked two placeholders and listed my DH and I separately. We also listed 4 friends that might have families that would come with us. We can book two staterooms on the same cruise. We put the form in the box on Sunday evening - when there was a big line - and I got the confirmation emails by 10 am on Monday.

Last edited:
Won’t it create a big mess on the future cruise when people are reserved in staterooms they have no intention of traveling in? I just want to reserve two cabins with our exact same family members plus one additional cabin for the family members not going in 2020. Sigh...seems ridiculous to have to resort to trickery when I’m trying to spend more money with them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter