What's the most annoying common grammar error, and why is it using apostrophes to pluralize words?

The AP style guide is my bible. That's what I learned in college and my journalism professor brother teaches it as well.

AP Style—the style guide that newspaper reporters adhere to—does not require the use of the Oxford comma. While the Oxford comma is technically grammatically correct, it is most often unnecessary and pointless. Thus, writers and editors should eliminate the comma unless it is absolutely essential for comprehension.
The lack of an Oxford comma made a very, very, very large (very negative) change to my profession nearly 20 years ago and it has never been corrected. I know that doesn't happen often, but it still blows my mind.

I will always use it. Having it never changes the meaning of a sentence, but not having it definitely can.

What truly makes me sad, though, is to read emails and memos from corporate executives. Long gone are the days when a secretary would catch any mistakes before something was sent. Nowadays, executives will send out things themselves. I cringe when I see the obvious grammar and spelling mistakes. These are people representing their company. 😖
How about something going down in the anals of history? That came from the highest position you can have in a school district. I still chuckle over that one.
The school I am in has boy's and girl's on all the bathroom signs. Not many people have ever noticed it though.
I have a thought on spelling in a grade school. I don't think that the kids even hear the words correctly. I try to get some to sound out the word, and they come up with letters that aren't close to being in the word. So many words are slurred, or mispronounced now. ( I do confess that my friends and I love to use the expression they cutted me as one of us steps in front of the other)
The one that makes me cringe is a lot. It is two words, not one.

The lack of an Oxford comma made a very, very, very large (very negative) change to my profession nearly 20 years ago and it has never been corrected. I know that doesn't happen often, but it still blows my mind.

I will always use it. Having it never changes the meaning of a sentence, but not having it definitely can.
Sounds like an interesting story. Do tell.

Sounds like an interesting story. Do tell.
CMS put a cap on therapy services for people with Medicare, meaning you can only use a certain dollar amount each year for therapy services before needing to pay out of pocket. The way it was written was, "such and such amount.... for OT, PT and SLP. Written that way purely because it was alphabetical order. This has since been interpreted as OT having their own individualized cap, then PT and SLP being combined to have their cap together. There have soooo many patients that need all the services, particularly that need PT and SLP, unfortunately impacted by this. They can't get as much of each service as they need compared to if each discipline had their own cap.

This has since been interpreted as OT having their own individualized cap, then PT and SLP being combined to have their cap together. There have soooo many patients that need all the services, particularly that need PT and SLP, unfortunately impacted by this. They can't get as much of each service as they need compared to if each discipline had their own cap.
Sorry but who would read it that way? It is clearly a list of individual services. I would have fought this to the death.

Sorry but who would read it that way? It is clearly a list of individual services. I would have fought this to the death.
Your guess is as good as mine. It has been a huge topic of contention for us (I'm a PT) for years.

But there are lots of phrases that I have seen that lack the Oxford comma that can be interpreted as the last two items being more of a combo then part of the list.

How about something going down in the anals of history? That came from the highest position you can have in a school district. I still chuckle over that one.
The school I am in has boy's and girl's on all the bathroom signs. Not many people have ever noticed it though.
I have a thought on spelling in a grade school. I don't think that the kids even hear the words correctly. I try to get some to sound out the word, and they come up with letters that aren't close to being in the word. So many words are slurred, or mispronounced now. ( I do confess that my friends and I love to use the expression they cutted me as one of us steps in front of the other)
The one that makes me cringe is a lot. It is two words, not one.
Have you heard of Hyperbole and a Half? They created an Alot drawing. You should check it out.

B0EFABD8-C3D9-460B-B87E-AF787CE11318.png

Two that drive me absolutely crazy:
Lightening (lightning)
Defiantly (definitely)

What kills me the most is I see this so frequently from older people with college educations. They text me to say “I’m defiantly going to see that movie.”
I’m so tempted to ask how defiant they are, but I digress.

My absolute #1 pet peeve (among many LOL) is using apostrophes to pluralize words. I mean word's. I mean, why? And almost 100% of the time there will be other plural words in the same post/email without the apostrophe. I know people make mistakes, including me. But it breaks my brain wondering how someone decides to put it in some words and not others. Bizarre, amirite?
I teach 3rd grade. I tell my students "if you live to be 285 years old, there are only 2 times in your life that you will ever use an apostrophe...when you make a noun possessive, or when you form a contraction....that's it. NO PLURALS!

I teach 3rd grade. I tell my students "if you live to be 285 years old, there are only 2 times in your life that you will ever use an apostrophe...when you make a noun possessive, or when you form a contraction....that's it. NO PLURALS!
I salute the noble work you’re doing to fight apostrophe abuse. This scourge must be stopped.

It's amazing to me how many really smart people are terrible with spelling and basic grammar. I think it just has to do with how our brains are wired. We all learned the same stuff, but some peoples' brains are just wired to notice things others don't. That's my super scientific theory.
It’s true. In the same sense, even absolute dullards can have an excellent grasp of grammar.

I always try to make allowances for that when I'm silently judging people:) To look at my IM messages and texts, you'd think I can't spell at all. Because I'm a terrible and careless typist lol

But some things, like the dreaded apostrophe abuse, are definitely conscious choices.
Pssst! I’m not going to tell BamaGuy44 that you’re missing two periods in the first paragraph.

Using quotation marks incorrectly. We had a “fantastic “ time on our “cruise” . Do you mean you didn’t have a fantastic time and it wasn’t really a cruise?
I sometimes abuse the quotation marks in my own writings due to having seen the Austin Powers movies too many times. I type emails and stuff and in my mind I am picturing Dr. Evil saying it.
sarcasm-sign.gif

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter