• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What's the most annoying common grammar error, and why is it using apostrophes to pluralize words?

Technically punctuation not grammar, but there have been many posts recently that you no longer need to indent the first sentence of a new paragraph. YES YOU DO!
The Army recently changed its correspondence regulation. They changed paragraph indentation from 0.5" to 0.25", and it barely looks indented at all now.

They also changed the number of spaces after a sentence from 2 spaces to 1, and I feel like anarchy has descended upon the land.

My new #1 is when someone pluralizes the word I. On these very boards I have seen someone write ‘my husband and I’s anniversary’.
Yeah that's one sooooooo many people mess up. Most people will pretty much always say "My husband and I" even when it should be "my husband and me". "my husband an I's" instead of "my husband and my" is one I don't see too often. The correct way not a really natural phrasing, to be fair

What truly makes me sad, though, is to read emails and memos from corporate executives. Long gone are the days when a secretary would catch any mistakes before something was sent. Nowadays, executives will send out things themselves. I cringe when I see the obvious grammar and spelling mistakes. These are people representing their company. 😖
You can blame a good deal of this on the trend that began waaaay back in the 1970s with mini-courses to attract students' interest and to appeal to them. Schools offered fun courses like Comic Books As Literature, TV and Movies Based On Books, Daily Journal Writing, etc. Students were often required to pick 1 or 2 solid ones, like Grammar For You!, Write Better Reports, Creative Writing--and then could choose a couple of fun courses for successive semesters/quarters.

In the last high school where I taught English (1996-97), there was only a single classroom set of grammar/composition texts per grade level (25 copies) that teachers checked out for in-class use only. None of this old school stuff of each student having their own copy that could be taken home for an entire year or semester.

Naturally, very little grammar was taught. It's probably gotten substantially worse in the intervening years.

Seriously though, I tend to keep my grammar opinions to myself. Oh, I judge, but I won't say anything.

What truly makes me sad, though, is to read emails and memos from corporate executives. Long gone are the days when a secretary would catch any mistakes before something was sent. Nowadays, executives will send out things themselves. I cringe when I see the obvious grammar and spelling mistakes. These are people representing their company. 😖
I extrude plastic pellets and expend [expand, I left my typing skill showing there to be honest in the spirit of the thread] it into foam. I was running the expander and had just dropped off a sack of pellets where we unload into the hopper. 5 minutes later my department coordinator comes up and tells me he brought over pellets for me. I said I already got them, did he bring more? "No... PELLETS! I brought PELLETS over!" He's yelling at me for 5 minutes trying to get me to understand. I opened up the door even and pointed, "One bag of pellets and it's the one I dropped off." Again, "I said PELLETS!"

Then in dawned on me, "did you mean a stack of pallets? You brought a stack of pallets over?" "YES, I've been telling you for 10 minutes!"

Keep in mind, if someone’s typing too quickly on a tablet or phone, autocorrect or misplaced fingers garble things up quickly. I typically post via keyboard but today I’m on iPad and it’s frustrating. Revise revise revise!
My boss texted me last Sunday a Happy Father's Day text. I typed "Thanks Hair and Happy Father's Day to you as well!" Then I typed "Hair, not hair." On the 3rd try as I was trying to correct it to Jair his actual name, he texted, "yeah I know, autocorrect does that with everyone."

My new #1 is when someone pluralizes the word I. On these very boards I have seen someone write ‘my husband and I’s anniversary’.
But that isn't pluralizing the word. It's showing possessive and though it's wrong, it is still more correct than actually pluralizing with apostrophes.

And that above that I typed is my biggest problem. Its vs. It's.

Then in dawned on me, "did you mean a stack of pallets? You brought a stack of pallets over?" "YES, I've been telling you for 10 minutes!"
Do I ever understand that one, having worked quality control in a disposable medical products extrusion department!

Yup, both the tray molding machine and some types of medical tubing required pellets instead of plastic powder in extruders.

Trying to explain to a new QC that a mil spec wasn't a tiny irritant in someone's eye but a measurement system we used (military specifications = mil spec) was fun, too. The plant produced lots of tubing for heart-lung, dialysis and other machines as well as IV tubing, much of which was sold to the armed forces.

Using quotation marks incorrectly. We had a “fantastic “ time on our “cruise” . Do you mean you didn’t have a fantastic time and it wasn’t really a cruise?
OMG, my boss is terrible with this. He does it all the time, even in formal writing. I don’t know why feels the “need” to do it. He also over uses parentheses (like this). It drives me up a wall and is embarrassing when used in professional stuff coming from the company.

many don't read any more, they watch videos. So things get spelled phonetically a lot, like sequence for sequins or "bare with me" (that one makes me laugh)
True, and sometimes you've read a word but not heard it spoken. I blew my son's mind the other day when I corrected him that when you say "having a row", row rhymes with chow. He was saying it as in "row your boat". He'd read it in books but it's not a common phrase in the US so he'd never heard anyone say it. Language is fun.

This is slightly off topic, but there's a phrase that is often used but drives me nuts!

If I thank someone for something they've done, they'll say, "It's the least I could do."

Really?? Out of ALL the things you could have done, THAT was the least you could do?

I understand the sentiment behind the phrase, but still......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter