what would it take for you to cancel a WDW vacation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I most definitely would reschedule the trip. As much as I love Disney, it will never be a higher priority than my husband. I couldn't go without him regardless of the situation. But in this scenario, I couldn't even fathom leaving his side.

Sorry, I have to agree with the "reschedule your trip" gang. There is no way that I could go and have fun with him at home recovering from surgery...and no way I would let him forget it if it were the other way around!!! :)

I don't think I could enjoy myself knowing DH was home recovering alone.

I would cancel in a heartbeat - then again, I would never go to WDW without my DH anyhow. I know he would never go on a vacation knowing that I was having surgery while he would be away, so neither would I. If canceling is too harsh, perhaps you could reschedule it once you are certain that your DH is well and okay to take care of himself.

I've had lots of surgeries and would hate to be left alone. Even when my mom or sister came to help I still preferred DH to them.
I'll be praying for your DH though. Pixie dust for you all! :wizard:
Kimba

Not that DH would ever allow me to go to disney without him (hell I can't even go to store for loaf of bread without him) I would remember that way back in 1985 our very 1st disney visit he went to disney the SAME day as his mother passed away. NOTHING was gonna stop his vacation and it didn't not even her dropping dead on us.

Last fall he did come home after driving 900 miles for a daytona/disney visit because our DD was ill which I'd tried to tell him before we ever went that she was not up to our going away for 2 weeks. DH figured with her long term illness that she would just have to get over the fact that mom and dad was not home but once we was away she FORGOT we'd left and was gonna be gone for 2 weeks and after driving 900 miles DH realized he was not gonna have a good time.

While my cancellation had nothing to do with illness, we were booked on the Sept. 10 Disney Magic, My DS5 will be starting Kindergarten the week before and as he has autism, the teachers at his new school thought that it would be very disruptive to him adjusting to a new school and a longer schedule. So even though we have been working so hard to plan and pay for the cruise, we canceled it and rebooked for a WDW vacation before school starts. On a positive note, our new vacation came in at HALF the cost of the cruise (thanks to the Free Dining) and we will be able to take another vacation this winter so sometimes things work out for the better whenyou have to cancel.

I've been in your husbands situation. 10 years ago I had to undergo minor surgery (obstructed ovarian tube that prevented me from conceiving). It was supposed to be one of those one-day operations. DH had a trip planned with some friends ( going to see an airshow in the UK) during those days so I wished him well and told him to go ahead. He tries hard to help and comfort you when your sick but he really don't know what to do with himself so I often spend more time trying to comfort him and telling him that everything should be ok - that this was just routine etc...

So I was happy that he went on the trip, that allowed me to concentrate on the operation and getting well again. ;)

Then something totally unexpected happened :sad2: When I awoke from the surgery the surgeon told me that I had stage 2 Ovarian Cancer and that they had had to remove a large tumor. My whole world came crashing down around me and at that time I REALLY needed DH and he was far away :sad1: I sooo wanted him to be there, to talk to and to hold me. He came as fast as possible but it still took more than 24 hours and that felt like forever

So my advice would be to postpone the trip if possible.

No one has mentioned this but do you have the possibility to move the trip forward ? Go on the trip before the operation ? I hope that everything works out for you and you family. You'll be in our prayers

Thea
Leaving in just 3 days...
(AND Cancerfree for 9 years :cheer2: )

If I were in your situation, I would cancel the trip. I had my right kidney removed 17 years ago for a cancerous tumor. (I am a grateful cancer survivor! :cheer2: ) At that time, it was a major surgery with a large incision and I was pretty miserable after it. (I was in the hospital alone for 10 days!) I, personally, would not have a good time knowing what my husband had gone through and was home recovering from it. Just my opinion.

Lorie

I wouldn't even leave my Dog at home alone after having a kidney and tumor removed, much less my HUSBAND.

:confused3

I would cancel.. Surgery is nothing to be taken lightly..

I wouldn't leave him home alone after surgery. Reschedule for some other time.

I would cancel and reschedule the trip. I couldn't leave my husband alone. I would be thinking up horrible "what if" scenerios the whole trip. Sending prayers out to you and your family. :grouphug:

I would reschedule now. A family member of mine had that surgery and the recovery was very painful. Your DH should have his loved ones around him to help.

Without a doubt cancel and reschedule. I take a whole lot of trips and the cancellation policy is very important when I book a trip. I will never book a nonrefundable hotel package because I know the unexpected can always happen. You can always take a trip to Disney, but it is important to be there for your loved ones even if they say they dont need you. I hope everything works out!!

Pretty much a no brainer. Family first....everything else follows in its appropriate spot.

In the words of Forest Gump..."that's all I have to say about that"!

:earsboy: :earsgirl:

I would cancel/reschedule!

There is no way I could leave my DH to recover from what sounds like is going to be major surgery alone.

There is just no way I would leave my DH that soon after surgery (or be away while he was having surgery). And I would deffiently NOT reschedule or schedule something major like this around a cavation. If doctor says "Aug 13 is the day", that would be the day for us.

Of course DH & I dont do vacations without each other. It is a full famil vacation (DH, DS & I) or we wait & do it when we all can go.

Reschedule for a time when your DH can go with you & you know he is ok!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter