what would it take for you to cancel a WDW vacation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

newholidayx2

<font color=green>Searching for the perfect tree<b
DH found out this morn he needs to have his left kidney w/2" tumor surgically removed. Doc is talking in the next few wks - wants DH to have a ctscan of his chest (had stomach ctscan done yesterday which found this tumor). Also wants DH to "donate" 2 bags of blood so doc can use these for DH during the operation.
Date of operation hasnt been given yet. They're aiming for sometime during those first few wks in Aug.
DS13 & I are due to fly to WDW Aug 13th. DH says go anyways. He'll be fine.
Im thinking DS & I can still go as long as DH is back home recovering.

What would you guys do?

I would wait and play it by ear. Depending on his date of surgery and his condition, I would then make a desision. Disneyworld will allways be there, so don't worry about missing it. Family is much more important!

I'm so sorry he's having to go through this...I would ask his doc what to expect for recovery and know that even if it sounds like it won't be long, that you still may need to cancel if something comes up. HTH Sending your family prayers and pixie dust!

Personally I would cancel to be there with my DH. Of course I also wouldn't be going to Disney without my DH. Surgery is not something to be taken lightly. Hope it all works out well for your DH.

I was going to say a whole lot -

but then I read your post and I would definately cancel -

unless he is the type of person who wants to be left alone when he is sick

not what he tells you but what you know in your heart he wants!

I'd cancel. Even if the doctor thinks the recuperation will be easy you just never know. In 2002 my healthy 27 yr old husband had a simple kidney stone that got stuck. They went to retrieve it. Well long story short 3 days later he developed a staph infection that ended him in the ICU for 7 days and 3 months of recovery. We almost lost him. He had a simple 15 minute surgery. So, I'd stay home. A trip can always be rescheduled.

I'd try to put myself in my husband's place.

I'd ask myself if I were having this surgery, would I mind if my husband and child went off to WDW without me. Would I mind being left alone?

In my case, the answer would be that it would bother me a lot. I would feel that I were playing second fiddle to Disneyworld.

Having had surgery myself & had family members who I helped through recovery, I would definitely cancel & stay home. Trips can always be rescheduled.

My Mom and I had a 4 day trip to Atlantic City planned when my dad fell ill. He was getting tests. He told us to go anyway and then when we were there he said on the phone that couldn't wait for us to come home. Turned out he had lung cancer (we found out after we got home). We were so sorry we went, we really couldn't have a good time.

Please understand that I know nothing about the urgency of this surgery, but since they are talking several weeks out instead of tonight I am guessing it's not an emergency, but a necessity...so:

Is it possible to schedule after you come back? My coworkers husband just did that for their daughter's wedding. Is he feeling good enough that he could go and then have surgery? If he's feeling good, is there any way you could bump the trip up? Again, I don't know the particulars so please forgive me if that sounds insensitive.

Otherwise, if you have the trip insurance, could you reschedule for around Thanksgiving or January? Don't "cancel" your trip, reschedule it.

I hear you though...I would be SO disappointed if we had to possibly postpone a trip due to a health issue. I certainly understand why you want to go.

I have a friend that just the same operation. He decided that before he was going to have the procedure, he was going to go on a vacation. He didn't go to Disney. He just went to Gatlinburg but he had a great time and doesn't regret it at all. He has now had the procedure and is doing fine. I don't know how advance your case is but I woud say go and enjoy. I know I have went to WDW not feeling to well and as soon as I got there, all was better.

Mickey is my personal physician!!

I woul probably mentally cancel the trip. IF his surgery is the first week or two of Aug. he'll need you and you'd be worried sick the whole time you were gone. BUT also unless there are cancellation deadlines..I would hold on to my reservations etc in case they cancel his surgery or push it back to Sept or something...which in the medical profession has been known to happen. the way it stands now.yes..I would cancel.

We cancelled our trip 3 yrs ago when my mom was scheduled to have surgery a week before we left. She was having her bladder removed due to bladder cancer. Taught me to definitely always take the trip insurance. To me, family always comes first. Disney will be still be there if you have to reschedule. You never know what can happen, whether the procedure is considered "simple" or complicated. What if something were to happen and you would need to come home right away? That's how I looked at it. Even though my mother told us to go, I knew she wanted me to be there with her.

Sorry to hear about your husband. Wishing him speedy recovery.

I would reschedule the trip to a later date. I would want to be with him and make sure he is fully recovered. So if this means it will take months, then I will wait. Disney is here and will always be here.

I agree with everyone who says cancel. No way would I leave my husband's side after surgery. Ds and I could never enjoy ourselves on a trip without him knowing he was home in that condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter