What was Disney thinking??!?!?!?

Personally I am sick of hearing pop music blaring everywhere from theme parks to Panera. It's just noise pollution. I love music but I can listen to it when I want and I just don't need it forced into my ears everywhere I go. In kids areas I'd prefer some soft calming but fun carousel type music.

Heavens, please no. I'm not sure I'd visit Disney if I had to listen to calming or carousel music all the time. That would be torturous.

i remember as a child singing afternoon delight and not having no idea what it meant.. it's not a new concept people..

I still find it strange that high school sports teams would use Chumbawamba's Tubthumping as their theme song.

"P***ing the night away, p***ing the night away
He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink"

I get that some people find nothing wrong with lyrics that are "questionable". The point is, you have the freedom to listen to those things all you want. I won't judge. But for people who DO find those lyrics OFFENSIVE, which yes, I think the particular song in question is disgusting and I have a huge problem with my daughter be subjected to, I feel like Disney has an obligation to be considerate to those people who do not want to listen to that on their very expensive family vacations to the "happiest place on earth". Disney is supposed to be a place that cherishes innocence!

I get that some people find nothing wrong with lyrics that are "questionable". The point is, you have the freedom to listen to those things all you want. I won't judge. But for people who DO find those lyrics OFFENSIVE, which yes, I think the particular song in question is disgusting and I have a huge problem with my daughter be subjected to, I feel like Disney has an obligation to be considerate to those people who do not want to listen to that on their very expensive family vacations to the "happiest place on earth". Disney is supposed to be a place that cherishes innocence!

Disney is only obligated to provide entertainment to masses and their safety.

My point is, how does it hurt someone who isnt bothered by it by not hearing the song blared through speaker systems while on their vacation? Would you feel like your vacation experience was diminished by missing out on that experience? Isn't just better to "err on the side of caution" and avoid offending people who reasonably object to those songs? I do not think this song is in a "grey area". The lyrics are vulgar. I do not think it would be unreasonable for someone to be offended by them. So why not just skip that one? Dont think it is too much to ask...

i remember as a child singing afternoon delight and not having no idea what it meant.. it's not a new concept people..

I totally agree. I mean, I grew up in the Spice Girl/Backstreet Boy/Britney Spears era and there are tons of songs I remember loving as a child that I didn't know what they meant.

I feel like if you don't mention the lyrics in front of the child, they won't know any better. As I got older, the more my parents would focus on "Wow that song is inappropriate, don't listen to it", the more I would want to listen to it.

my vacation wouldn't be affected in either way.. There are soo many things to focus on in this world than the simplicity of a song. Honestly, people get offended by stupid things these days, don't we have more potent issues to worry about?

I'm aware that I may sound hypocritical here, but here goes:

At school a few years ago they were having a dance festival. A teacher of children aged 6 had the class practicing to Christina Agulera's 'Candy Man'.
Now we would play the radio with this on around my children. I've played far more suggestive songs around my children, and they've heard songs with swearing in too.
Did I think it was inappropriate at school? Yes! At home is one thing, it's an individual family's preference and we get to explain meanings if asked and adjust to what we feel is right. At school we don't have that ability.

I kind of put Disney in a similar spot. Not that Disney are my children's educators or anything, but as someone said above - it's a place where I kind of expect the innocence of childhood preserved, and this doesn't lean towards it.
I guess I expect to hear and see things at WDW that I would expect to see or hear in a Disney movie - but then I guess it's down to what movies you watch...

And I've talked myself in to sitting on the fence!! :laughing:

My point is, how does it hurt someone who isnt bothered by it by not hearing the song blared through speaker systems while on their vacation? Would you feel like your vacation experience was diminished by missing out on that experience? Isn't just better to "err on the side of caution" and avoid offending people who reasonably object to those songs? I do not think this song is in a "grey area". The lyrics are vulgar. I do not think it would be unreasonable for someone to be offended by them. So why not just skip that one? Dont think it is too much to ask...

Who gets to decide if the lyrics are vulgar? Who makes that decision ?

Blurred Lines is the #1 song on Billboard right now. Obviously a lot , and I mean A LOT of people like it. I would guess that more people enjoy Disney playing that song as opposed to being against it.

Even if the lyrics aren't violent or sexual, they aren't always great ideas. Think of Backstreet Boys "As Long as You Love Me". "I don't care who you are, where you're from, what you did, as long as you love me", therefore you could be a escaped murder as long as there's love there.

Blurred Lines is the #1 song on Billboard right now. Obviously a lot , and I mean A LOT of people like it. I would guess that more people enjoy Disney playing that song as opposed to being against it.

Also, there are more parents in that building than children (in my experience), and the kids are focused on the characters. I doubt they even notice the lyrics. I would lose my mind if they didn't play some current stuff. :laughing:

1. Just because it is popular and people like it does not mean it is not vulgar.

2. Who cares if more people like it than dont like it. The people who like it can listen to it on their ipods with headphones, on their radios, at home, etc. Why should I have to listen to it if I think it is offensive.

3. The song is number one on billboard and is on the radio all the time. Good for them. I turn it off every time it comes on the radio. I can control what I listen to on the radio. I cannot control what is played to the public in an amusement park. Should I have to leave because I object to my young children hearing lyrics I find inappropriate for them? I think that is unfair. Mostly because, as I stated before, you do not NEED to hear that song in the park to make your vacation fun.

4. Who decides what lyrics are vulgar? Do you want me to go line by line? Or you could just read the pp's quote by the makers of this song where they openly confess that they made this song as demeaning to woman as possible on purpose. I think my biggest problem is that is justifies date rape because "he knows she wants it" even though she is a "good girl". Is this appropriate an amusement park whose demographics are families with young children? Absolutely not. How this is even in question BLOWS MY MIND!!!!

Carousel music would not work in a dance party setting.:confused3 Unless the kids would like to do the waltz or something. :rotfl2:DS knows how to do that, but he prefers the faster stuff. :goodvibes

A good mix of house/electronica provides great dance music and no concerns of the content of lyrics

Also, there are more parents in that building than children (in my experience), and the kids are focused on the characters. I doubt they even notice the lyrics. I would lose my mind if they didn't play some current stuff. :laughing:

Current stuff = totally fine. I have absolutely no problem with current stuff. Can we use a LITTLE discretion when choosing current stuff. Um, yeah - I think so.

Current stuff = totally fine. I have absolutely no problem with current stuff. Can we use a LITTLE discretion when choosing current stuff. Um, yeah - I think so.

I agree, and said that they should not have played that song in a previous post. :goodvibes

No, its definitely not a new concept. However, you have to admit that the envelope of innuendo has been pushed way beyond what it used to be. Besides, I think the further an "artist" pushes it, the less they have to rely on their talent, or lack of it in some cases. This particular song we are talking about has a great beat, and is very catchy. They didnt really need the trashy lyrics, but unfortunately that is what appeals to those buying the records. That is fine, people have the choice, but its getting to the point where turning on the local pop station (or apparently going to a WDW dance party) has become a cringe fest when I'm listening with my kids. That is a pretty sad commentary on our society IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter