What to tip at Palo's?

The price is 20 dollars per person... so by the above argument all I really owe is 4 - 6 dollars per person for great service. That said given the unique situation at hand I usually forgo percentages and leave according to my heart/financial situation.

I would not agree that the price is $20 per person. All of the meals in the main dining room are included in the price of the cruise so we don't know how much we are being charged, but we can consider that X amount of dollars go for each meal. When a guest dines in Palo, they are paying X + $20.

I would suggest that in this equation, X > 0.

I think this is the source of the wide variety of tip suggestions, since nobody knows what the value of X is. As many have stated, you have to estimate what the value of the meal is to you, and tip accordingly.

IF I were going to do that I would tip off of the bill they handed me, not try to guess what my "real" total is. Esp since I see the meals as free. I pay for the cruise but my meals are free. (Yeah I know, I know it's part of what DCL configures as part of what they charge me - but thinking of it as free makes me feel happy.)

I would not agree that the price is $20 per person. All of the meals in the main dining room are included in the price of the cruise so we don't know how much we are being charged, but we can consider that X amount of dollars go for each meal. When a guest dines in Palo, they are paying X + $20.

I would suggest that in this equation, X > 0.

I think this is the source of the wide variety of tip suggestions, since nobody knows what the value of X is. As many have stated, you have to estimate what the value of the meal is to you, and tip accordingly.

not necessarily, Silverfox. like has been stated Disney states that the gratuity is part of the fee so no one is in any way obligated to go above that(unless they buy alcohol)

I asked the manager at Palo on the Wonder how much of the upcharge goes to the server. He said none. I tip at least $10 per person im my party. More if the service is exceptional(and it often is). Less for high tea.

No one has to tip ablove the charge or at any restaurant, but I feel that if the server does everything he can to make my experience enjoyable, I will reward him for it.:thumbsup2

My wife & I are sailing on the Magic in 2 weeks. This is our 1st cruise and we have Palo reservations for dinner.

I was going to leave an extra $20 tip for the two of us, but now I'm not sure if that's enough. We usually tip well in regular restaurants and I don't want to short our server.

I think I'll make it $35 just to play it safe.

My wife & I are sailing on the Magic in 2 weeks. This is our 1st cruise and we have Palo reservations for dinner.

I was going to leave an extra $20 tip for the two of us, but now I'm not sure if that's enough. We usually tip well in regular restaurants and I don't want to short our server.

Do not let this thread sway your decision on what to tip. As has been stated, tipping is a personal decision and no one should feel bad about having to leave a larger tip based on reading other's responses. Tip based on your preferences and experience.

While I completely agree with this, several of the posters here have reported back, (one in this thread, but it's hardly the first thread on the subject), that the servers consider anything 5 dollars per person or over extra is great.

Which I would think would work since the estimation is that they get about 5 dollars from the service charge which makes a ten dollar tip per person.

So, that said, if you can afford fifty dollar tips for a table of two, great! Good for you on having lots of extra money, and better on you for having the heart to share it! But if what you can pull together is the above ten dollar tip, you shouldn't have to feel ashamed because you can't keep up with the Roy Disneys of the world.

I agree here, it all about the experience, but if my financial situation does not allow me to properly pay for service, I rather not go out.

While I completely agree with this, several of the posters here have reported back, (one in this thread, but it's hardly the first thread on the subject), that the servers consider anything 5 dollars per person or over extra is great.

Which I would think would work since the estimation is that they get about 5 dollars from the service charge which makes a ten dollar tip per person.

So, that said, if you can afford fifty dollar tips for a table of two, great! Good for you on having lots of extra money, and better on you for having the heart to share it! But if what you can pull together is the above ten dollar tip, you shouldn't have to feel ashamed because you can't keep up with the Roy Disneys of the world.

Complete agreed. After all, its the place where dreams come true. :hug:

Good for you on having lots of extra money, and better on you for having the heart to share it! But if what you can pull together is the above ten dollar tip, you shouldn't have to feel ashamed because you can't keep up with the Roy Disneys of the world.

popcorn::

I agree here, it all about the experience, but if my financial situation does not allow me to properly pay for service, I rather not go out.

The DCL website says that gratuity is included in the service charge. If your financial situation only allows you to afford the service charge and you are told that the service charge includes the gratuity why should you feel that you should stay home? If you are told before you go out that the fixed price includes gratuity why should you feel obligated to leave additional in order to "properly pay"? Tip what you want to but don't judge others who choose to take DCL at their word as far as gratuity.
I confirmed by email with DCL that gratuity IS included in the charge for both Palo and Remy despite what others have posted they were told by CM's.
DCL would not say how much goes to the service team so any post claiming to know is only hearsay and is probably not reliable.

I heard that the tip is included for Palo which is divided with everyone however if you we always give extra. What is a good amount to give $10, $15, or $20?

I heard that the tip is included for Palo which is divided with everyone however if you we always give extra. What is a good amount to give $10, $15, or $20?

I've merged your thread with another Palo tip thread for you to read over.

As you can see from the posts before your's, tipping is very subjective and the info you will receive on DIS will vary from poster to poster.
Tip what you feel comfortable tipping, don't let what other's tip guide you in a way that you might feel uncomfortable adding to your bill.

Not to pick on you in particular, but when people state what they are going to tip before they've even had a meal and received service, that's a bit weird. I would never dream of establishing the amount of a tip before I set foot in a restaurant on land; why would it be any different in an upcharge restaurant at sea? Shouldn't you wait until you've had your meal and can evaluate the service you received?

We usually just tip the same again the fee that we're charged. So, for 2 people, paying a $20 fee each, we tip $40. Is that too much? We feel the food and service is amazing and, for a meal like that elsewhere, we'd be paying about $150 or so.

While most people tip $20, I feel the same...we would pay much more for this dinner at home than 20pp, and we tip what we would normally tip at home for equal service. Last time we went to Palo we tipped $40 for brunch. Our waiter was wonderful, we had great seats and great service. For dinner the following day our waiter "saved our seat" for us and was even more attentive than before! We tipped $60 for dinner and were invited back for dinner again. For our second dinner we let our waiter choose for us and it was an absolutely wonderful experience. We ate food we wouldn't normally eat and even got extra "just in case" we didn't like what he chose! As if! I am positive that if I had tipped $20 I would not have been invited back for a second dinner, and if so I am sure I would not have been given 3 of everything!

While most people tip $20, I feel the same...we would pay much more for this dinner at home than 20pp, and we tip what we would normally tip at home for equal service. Last time we went to Palo we tipped $40 for brunch. Our waiter was wonderful, we had great seats and great service. For dinner the following day our waiter "saved our seat" for us and was even more attentive than before! We tipped $60 for dinner and were invited back for dinner again. For our second dinner we let our waiter choose for us and it was an absolutely wonderful experience. We ate food we wouldn't normally eat and even got extra "just in case" we didn't like what he chose! As if! I am positive that if I had tipped $20 I would not have been invited back for a second dinner, and if so I am sure I would not have been given 3 of everything!

Sounds more like bribing than tipping.

Don't think me ignorant or anything with this question, but our regular servers we put the money in the envelopes, but Palos?? I am guessing we leave it on the table? Or are we supposed to give it to them another way?

Don't think me ignorant or anything with this question, but our regular servers we put the money in the envelopes, but Palos?? I am guessing we leave it on the table? Or are we supposed to give it to them another way?

When you dine at Palo, at the end of the meal, they ask you for your KTTW card & then give you a receipt to sign (just like at a regular restaurant). This is because you have to approve the extra dining charge by signing for it. On the check, you have the option to add gratuity. :thumbsup2

May I just add, as a server who works in a moderately priced steakhouse (steaks start at $20 and go up to about $40 when served as a seafood combo) the level of service/attentiveness is very different to what you would receive at Denny's.

Someone at Denny's may server 60 people in a shift, I might serve 20, but those 20 receive very careful attention to detail. We have to know the menu inside out, we are tested on it regularly. Table maintenance must be perfect, refills automatically bought when drinks are low (for refillable drinks.) It's very different and more time consuming than the service at a "Denny's" type establishment.

That said, I feel like it's a privilege not a right. I give 100% to my tables every need, and I often make reasonable money in tips. That said, I do not believe it's a right to be tipped, you must earn it, and if you do not offer great service, you should not make the large tips.

DH & I went to Red Lobster one night. The hostess never noticed that we didn't have silverware and when the waitress brought out our appetizers she aparently didn't notice either & just walked away. About 10 minutes later when she came back to check how everything was she was concerned because we hadn't touched our appetizers. I told her it was a problem to eat them without silverware. She had disappeared so fast after dropping them off that we didn't realize the silverware wasn't there. Apparently all the servers for the evening were in the back for a BORED meeting since we didn't see anyone in the dining room for those 10 minutes to ask for silverware. She brought us the silverware and then disappeared into a back room again until our dinner came. She didn't offer refills on our drinks, we had to ask. Needless to say her tip was cut.

I usually tip 15%-18% at high price places unless the service is exceptional, which it wasn't that night. At places like Denny's I tip 18%-20% because I usually get better & more attentive service from the waiters & waitresses there.

And to the PP who doesn't like when people get out the tip card, cause her name isn't on it, tough noogies. I like those cards and also the tip calculator on my cell phone. My math isn't as good as I'd like and without the card I might UNDERTIP you. So it cuts both ways.

At Palo, the 2 times we have gone we tipped and additional $10/person. The service was exceptional.

Tipping well is not bribing but acknowledging excellent service. Every person tips differently. I am lucky enough to be able to tip well when the situation calls for it. I compare palo to other Disney restaurants. I would never tip the waiters at California Grill $10...why should I do it at Palo when I can afford more. Service industry personnel remember those who tip well because without those tips they make less than minimum wage. However I know most people tip $20 and that's ok too. I know I did so in the past when I was younger and not in the position I am in now.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter