What questions to ask newbies traveling with you.....

What a great thread! I'll be heading to WDW with a first timer in less than a month :hyper:

Top 3 things discussed between us in the planning stages were: budget, length of stay (we only have 10 days off), and priorities.

There were multiple spreadsheets involved on my end but we found our ideas of what the trip should be meshed well. She was ready to hop right on board with my park opening/commando style touring and I was excited to go back to doing character meet and greets (her must see and something I haven't done in ages). We booked 3 ADRs in a 7 night trip to keep the plans open for flexibility.

When it got to FP+ selection time 60 days out we sat down together on MDE and I let her take the reigns, only there to explain attractions and help guide in terms of what FPs usually run out and what you can get later in the day. She said this was the best thing for her as a newbie to actually sit down and look at what each park really has to offer. Knowing we can alter these at any time is great as well for not making it so overwhelming.

My family (DH, DD13, DD16, and myself) are going with my BF and her 2 kids (girl 13 and boy 16 year old) in June. My BF has not been to WDW since she was 5 and the kids are total newbies. I asked her questions like what kind of meals do you and the kids like or not like? Do you all like fast rides like roller coasters? Will the kids be interested in character interactions? How does the thought of character meals appeal to you? Her response was that since my family are all veterans of WDW and know what we are doing and how to vacation there, they will follow our lead. Since I am the planner of this trip (with the help of my 2 kids and DH), I haven't changed the way that my own family normally tour the parks. I, of course, have kept my BF in the loop as to what I am doing when it comes to planning and she has been very receptive (no matter if she knows what I am talking about or not :rotfl:), they are just beyond excited to finally be going to WDW and experiencing what we love to experience every time we go.

1. are they go go go till they drop or do they like to take things at a slow pace
2. do they walk fast or slow
3. are they ok with standing in line for 40 + minutes at a time
4. do they like to stop for frequent snacks or do they just eat at meal times
5. do they have their main meal of the day before 2pm or after 6pm or between 3pm and 6pm
6. what is their breakfast style, full on leisurely breakfast or coffee on the go
7. are they early risers or late risers
8. do they like to chill in the evenings ie , leave the park at 6 or 7pm and go to a restaurant / bar for the evening
9. what is their shopping style, do they like to spend alot of time in the shops
10. do they like to take frequent stops to take photos and selfies, post updates on social media
11. do they like watching parades and shows
12. what is their budget for a) snacks b) drinks / soda c) light meals d) main meals e) merchandise and shopping
13. how adventurous are they with food, are they open to trying new dishes, styles types of food or do they just want the same food they eat at home, if so what type of food is that
14. will everyone be ok staying in a group and doing EVERYTHING as a group or will some members of the party want to separate and do their own thing
15. if some of the party will be separating, set ground rules, meeting places, times etc
16. Do they understand it's traditional for first-timers to pick up the tab for everyone at Victoria & Albert's? :earboy2:

Right now I have my friends doing extensive research on places to eat so they will know before hand where they want to eat. Watching youtube vids on where and doing research on what is offered.

I would use WDW Prep School 6-step process as a reference point. She offers many questions you can organize via a process that you can leverage. That way, you're not asking everything all at once and overwhelming them.

As a former newbie I don't understand that. We gotta eat... Table service meals are very important to us. Just one a day, but we like the opportunity to sit, to have air conditioning or warmth depending on the weather, to have some good food...

Having food served to us doesn't overwhelm us. :)

The trouble with ADR's isn't the eating, nor it is the idea of having food served tableside....

The trouble with ADR's is:
1. the crazy high prices
2. the no-show fee
3. an ADR is NOT a reservation. They don't keep a table open for your party...an ADR basically only = a table at some time after your assigned time. You might be seated right away, you might have to wait. A number of times, especially with large groups, we had to wait over an HOUR past our ADR to be SEATED. You end up with something that resembles those Snickers' commercials only worse.
4. TIME: the way ADR's impact your whole theme park day. If you have to go from say, a resort to the back side of the theme park travel is time consuming and unpredictable by a wide margin. Again, I speak from many years of experience.

Often enough, monorail unexpectedly stops operating for an unpredictable amount of time. Or weather docks the boats. Dock CM's often don't know about the stoppage. You find yourself waiting and waiting for a boat that has been docked even though it is sunny, because there is a risk of lightning in the area.

Speaking of weather...sudden downpours are common in FL. Does anyone want to go to $50/pp meal looking like a wet rat?

In a park + want to nap/get cleaned up at your hotel= potentially an hour of travel each way. You might board a bus/boat/monorail right away. Getting through park entrance/security is sometimes quick. Your magicband usually works correctly.

Maybe your first timers are happy to plan meals half a year in advance. The folks I know, tend to think week-long vacations shouldn't be so rigidly structured unless they are planning something special like Easter brunch or an anniversary dinner.

Unpredictable transportation + unpredictable attraction waits =frustration

The trouble with ADR's isn't the eating, nor it is the idea of having food served tableside....

The trouble with ADR's is:
1. the crazy high prices
2. the no-show fee
3. an ADR is NOT a reservation. They don't keep a table open for your party...an ADR basically only = a table at some time after your assigned time. You might be seated right away, you might have to wait. A number of times, especially with large groups, we had to wait over an HOUR past our ADR to be SEATED. You end up with something that resembles those Snickers' commercials only worse.
4. TIME: the way ADR's impact your whole theme park day. If you have to go from say, a resort to the back side of the theme park travel is time consuming and unpredictable by a wide margin. Again, I speak from many years of experience.

Often enough, monorail unexpectedly stops operating for an unpredictable amount of time. Or weather docks the boats. Dock CM's often don't know about the stoppage. You find yourself waiting and waiting for a boat that has been docked even though it is sunny, because there is a risk of lightning in the area.

Speaking of weather...sudden downpours are common in FL. Does anyone want to go to $50/pp meal looking like a wet rat?

In a park + want to nap/get cleaned up at your hotel= potentially an hour of travel each way. You might board a bus/boat/monorail right away. Getting through park entrance/security is sometimes quick. Your magicband usually works correctly.

Maybe your first timers are happy to plan meals half a year in advance. The folks I know, tend to think week-long vacations shouldn't be so rigidly structured unless they are planning something special like Easter brunch or an anniversary dinner.

Unpredictable transportation + unpredictable attraction waits =frustration
I have been lucky and the only ADR I have used was for the BOG and Biergarten. Both had just a little wait since we tend to made early reservations close to when they open, well Biergarten. And yes there are lots of things that can get in the way of ADR's. Normally the average for a restaurant is supposed to be 20 minutes. That's for a normal non Disney dining. But I don't know how that can be true. It's best to plan for an hour on a meal and maybe more if it's a character meal. But you also do have to take into consideration time to get there along with wait times because as Mickyluvr said a reservation does not mean a table will be saved for you at that time. I have heard of people waiting longer than 30 mins for a table to come available. There are tons of quick service options out there with more than just hamburgers if you look for them. Even at other hotels that might be close or on the monorail. This year I plan on going to the counter service at CS and also a few new places in Disney Springs.

I speak from the experience of many visits to WDW dating back to the early 1970's, so I have many ADR's and WDW trips under my belt. That said, I'm not still holding a grudge from 1995 or anything similar. :)

But I do remember the not-so-long-ago, when eating at WDW was less complicated.

I've also got multiple recent trips to Universal under my belt, and can categorically say two things, as things currently stand: eating TS meals at US is pretty easy, and eating TS meals at WDW is far more complicated than it needs to be.

I speak from the experience of many visits to WDW dating back to the early 1970's, so I have many ADR's and WDW trips under my belt. That said, I'm not still holding a grudge from 1995 or anything similar. :)

But I do remember the not-so-long-ago, when eating at WDW was less complicated.

I've also got multiple recent trips to Universal under my belt, and can categorically say two things, as things currently stand: eating TS meals at US is pretty easy, and eating TS meals at WDW is far more complicated than it needs to be.
I think the reason TS is the way that it is, is because they want to entice people to stay on property, hence the 180 day reservation. It is much harder for people staying offsite so its almost like six of one half a dozen of the other. There are days you can do walk ups but those are only on down times. It basically keeps QS as an overflow. So by one you can log on and see if they have any reservations available, but if not they have plenty of QS restaurants available for the day tickets and those families who were not able to get a res.

I'm going through the same thing right now. We're traveling with 7 of my in-laws, all of which are first timers, and the group also includes two kids. DH and I do not have kids, so it's been a challenge trying to plan for both first timers and for kids. One thing I never thought to ask until recently is meal times. DH and I like to eat first thing, but a few of my in-laws prefer late breakfasts. DH and I like 7-8pm dinners, but with the kids, SIL wants earlier like 5-5:30pm dinners. Meal times weren't something I really considered before, but are crucial to know before making ADRs.

I've also been trying to get a feel for how adventurous everyone is - making a list of who might do Everest, Space, Test Track, etc. and who wouldn't. I don't want the non-adventurous group to be bored, so trying to find them other FPs during those times as well.

On our August trip, we are bringing two of my daughter's friends - one has had one short trip before and the other is a newbie (though she has done Disneyland). We are paying their way, so budget is not an issue. I have taken both girls to a local amusement park and know they'll ride basically anything. And I've fed them both before, so I know they both eat well and varied diets - thank goodness.

But it is like pulling teeth to get 12 year old to tell you if they like a certain character or movie!! I want to be sure I'm hitting on those things and they are no help. Ugh. Also trying to get a feel for if they will do matching shirts or ears or anything like that. One day it's a great idea and the next, it's a lot of eye rolling. o_O

I think you are partly correct, but there are additional advantages for WDW as well. If people lock down their vacations far in advance, then folks aren't going to make changes. WDW also knows how much food to buy, and the earlier they know how much food to buy, the better they can negotiate the price. Call it the Walmart approach. Bigger assured volume ahead of the competition= lower wholesale prices.

Anyhow, my point was just to say that I think first time visitors have it tough. You can't as easily go to WDW with a wait and see attitude any more. If you have never been on Space Mountain, how can you possibly decide if your kids want to ride it? Or the endurance of your 70 year old in-laws?

These are great suggestions. When I take newbies, I outline how I like to tour and suggest the things like characters, which I can take or leave at this point, excluding unusual ones. If they want to priortize characters, cool, if they want to re-ride Space 10 times - cool, but I might be leading them or advising and then doing my own thing for a bit. Swimming is a big question in WDW planning I think.

I know how my friends prefer to eat, and some of them, I simply can't travel with. All parties end up unhappy. I think that being honest on the front end saves a ton of frustration.

One thing I never thought to ask until recently is meal times. DH and I like to eat first thing, but a few of my in-laws prefer late breakfasts.
Good Idea!
When I take newbies, I outline how I like to tour and suggest the things like characters, which I can take or leave at this point, excluding unusual ones.
What type of information do you include in your outline? This is a great idea.
I am thinking(with everyone's help here) to include questions of type of food, when to tour parks, allergies, how much they want to spend on food(everything else is paid for), characters(tho I never heard them say anything about characters, have to see talking Mickey), alcohol (3 of us don't drink), parades/fireworks.
Our friends don't know anything about Disney World,and never gone to a amusement park, all over 50. But I know whatever we do, they will be amazed(can't wait to see that look on their face!)

Good Idea!
What type of information do you include in your outline? This is a great idea.
I am thinking(with everyone's help here) to include questions of type of food, when to tour parks, allergies, how much they want to spend on food(everything else is paid for), characters(tho I never heard them say anything about characters, have to see talking Mickey), alcohol (3 of us don't drink), parades/fireworks.
Our friends don't know anything about Disney World,and never gone to a amusement park, all over 50. But I know whatever we do, they will be amazed(can't wait to see that look on their face!)

I literally just describe how my typical day will play out and see what its missing for them and if the timing/cadence seems untenable to my travel companions. Most things I'm super flexible on, if someone wants to eat dinner at 5:00 everyday, I know I'm going to be miserable and just suggest seperatish evening plans. I like to RP, but if folks want to sleep in, I'll explain the reasoning and we can either get fp+ starting around 11, and I'll literally provide a step by step on getting to our first park of the day, so we can meet up, etc. The parts of my typical day they can't deal with, we can either compromise, or I'll help them do something else. So far, everyone has been totally on board with my plans, but I have comprised on dinner times on several occasions and that's worked out. I like to pose it as "what's off the table?" ie, things they know they aren't interested in, and go from there. Some people don't like the dark, or shows, or characters, or roller coasters, or dinner shows (me), or counter service meals. Once you know those things, planning gets WAY easier.

Know your own parameters and keep them in mind too! You don't have to spend every minute together!

I literally just describe how my typical day will play out and see what its missing for them and if the timing/cadence seems untenable to my travel companions. Most things I'm super flexible on, if someone wants to eat dinner at 5:00 everyday, I know I'm going to be miserable and just suggest seperatish evening plans. I like to RP, but if folks want to sleep in...Know your own parameters and keep them in mind too! You don't have to spend every minute together!
Please allow me to share my experience....
1. I think you are giving good advice.
2. Asking all of the above often doesn't matter. In my experience, people often don't do what they say they will, or even what they normally do, once they get to WDW.

I once took a group of hardcore hard morning people to WDW, but when they arrived on a morning flight, they were too tired to do anything except nap.

Another trip, everyone said they really wanted to try BOG. That is, until we were actually at WDW. These was a group of WDWvets who should have known better. They still didn't want to walk all the way to the back of MK to eat. And that was before the white-out downpour started!

I've also been with marathon runners that quickly get exhausted in WDW, perhaps it was the standing. Other newbies, despite my advice, insist on wearing impractical footwear and sometimes impractical clothing. Or refuse to carry rainwear or their phone. In each case, they insist they will be fine wearing high heels, ancient shoes, etc.

Whenever I have taken a group of newbies, they don't start out thinking we are going to split up. (We do, but later in the trip.) They start out with the assumption that I'm their personal tour guide. As in, they don't have to know/keep track of anything for themselves.

Some folks I've helped are great, others were easily overwhelmed. In short, they just couldn't fathom how big WDW is, and how many choices they will have. They also often struggle with the idea of following a schedule while on vacation.

Along the same lines, I can't stress enough the importance of discussing their plans for alcohol consumption. Many people equate vacations with drinking. Drinking takes time, and too much has a negative impact on endurance. (Conversely, a little alcohol sometimes helps sore feet.)
And of course, alcohol at WDW prices has an impact on the trip budget.

Please allow me to share my experience....
1. I think you are giving good advice.
2. Asking all of the above often doesn't matter. In my experience, people often don't do what they say they will, or even what they normally do, once they get to WDW.

I once took a group of hardcore hard morning people to WDW, but when they arrived on a morning flight, they were too tired to do anything except nap.

Another trip, everyone said they really wanted to try BOG. That is, until we were actually at WDW. These was a group of WDWvets who should have known better. They still didn't want to walk all the way to the back of MK to eat. And that was before the white-out downpour started!

I've also been with marathon runners that quickly get exhausted in WDW, perhaps it was the standing. Other newbies, despite my advice, insist on wearing impractical footwear and sometimes impractical clothing. Or refuse to carry rainwear or their phone. In each case, they insist they will be fine wearing high heels, ancient shoes, etc.

Whenever I have taken a group of newbies, they don't start out thinking we are going to split up. (We do, but later in the trip.) They start out with the assumption that I'm their personal tour guide. As in, they don't have to know/keep track of anything for themselves.

Some folks I've helped are great, others were easily overwhelmed. In short, they just couldn't fathom how big WDW is, and how many choices they will have. They also often struggle with the idea of following a schedule while on vacation.

Along the same lines, I can't stress enough the importance of discussing their plans for alcohol consumption. Many people equate vacations with drinking. Drinking takes time, and too much has a negative impact on endurance. (Conversely, a little alcohol sometimes helps sore feet.)
And of course, alcohol at WDW prices has an impact on the trip budget.
In this case, make them plan it and you can give helpful hints. Thats what im doing with the two newbies I have right now. One is totally into and gung ho and we are not even sure the third will make it to WDW so my gung ho friend is going to chose where we go, eat and what days we do the parks. So this way they only have themselves to blame. I'll have fun no matter what because I'll be visiting with the mouse.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter