What is your signature dish?

Yes but just so you know it's very basic. But still it is my most requested dish and I'm a good cook. My family might be weird. From Betty Crocker children's cookbook, 1954.

Meatloaf
Preheat oven to 350 °F
2 eggs
3/4 c milk
1/2 c bread crumbs
1/2 c chopped onion
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sage
2 tbsp parsley
1-1/2 lbs ground beef

Sauce:
1/2 c catsup
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp mustard

Mix meatloaf ingredients in bowl, place and shape on cookie sheet. Bake for 45 minutes. While cooking mix sauce ingredients, remove meatloaf from oven after 45 minutes, scrape off fat if you want, I always do. Brush sauce on top, put back in oven for 10 more minutes. Sometimes I'll broil for a minute or two to get a crunch. I usually double this recipe. You can use whatever ground beef you have. I've used a meatloaf mix from the grocery store, or done half beef/half ground turkey. Pretty much whatever ground meat I have in the freezer. Good luck.
I’ve used this same Betty Crocker meatloaf recipe for years and years (except I half the amount of salt and brown sugar). My family loves it! And I compare every single other meatloaf I’ve ever eaten to this one. None taste as good.

This carbonara recipe was given to my daughter by a friend from Italy:

PASTA CARBONARA

3 eggs
12 oz. spaghetti
12 oz. bacon or pancetta
2 T. olive oil
Salt and black pepper to taste
Parmesan cheese

Heat olive oil in large skillet, add the bacon, and cook until bacon is done; remove bacon and drain off the fat.
Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti as package directs, until al dente.
Beat the eggs.
Strain the spaghetti and put it into the skillet used to cook the bacon.
Add the bacon and beaten eggs to the spaghetti and place over a low heat.
Cook just until everything is well mixed and the eggs begin to cook.
Stir in Parmesan cheese in the amount desired.
Remove from heat, stir, and serve.

Chicken noodle soup (with lemon)
A potato dish named after a relative (we are Irish)
“Christmas Crack” - butter, brown sugar, saltines and chocolate

My kids love it when I make a dish from a local restaurant, Teresa's Sweet Chili Linguine.

37682878_10155660062572335_6970684341760294912_n.jpg

http://www.recipecircus.com/recipes/gijane/PASTA/THERESA39S_SWEET_CHILI_LINGUINE.html

Macaroni and cheese- My cousins rave about my mom's, and say I have nailed her recipe. Totally from scratch, starting with a white sauce and good quality extra sharp cheddar (among other things).

"Garbage soup with dunklings" as my DD and niece christened my homemade chicken soup (stock is made from roast chicken bones and veggie peelings that we keep in the freezer- hence the 'garbage' title) with stuffing dumplings. Sooo good and comforting on a cold winter's night!

Red velvet cake with cooked frosting (NOT cream cheese or buttercream). I make this from a recipe shared by a friend's mother. DD loves it so much that she had me make it for her wedding cake.

My goal is life is to get better at making dumplings. My daughter is excellent at making them and she has tried to show me but I suck at them. I am a good cook but they are my nemesis.
Weirdly, I make great asian style dumplings. My Korean ones are sort of midling, but I've made really good potstickers and sichuan dumplings. The food of my people--pierogies and vareniki--I'm not so good at. It's something I want to be better at, too. My mom made great ones, but all I have now are her incomplete notes.
I'd love your bulgogi recipe.
For beef bulgogi, I use the recipe at justonecookbook. I like it better than the ones on Korean sites for some reason.

https://www.justonecookbook.com/bulgogi-korean-grilled-beef/

One thing I've learned is that you can puree the Asian pear and freeze it in ice cubes, which is good because they're kind of expensive and not always easy to find. The puree turns brown from oxidation, but will still work for tenderizing. When I'm out of it and not willing to go hunt some down, I use pureed kiwi, but you have to be careful then and only use a little (1-2 tsp per pound) and keep the marinade short--like 30-60 minutes instead of overnight, because it's a lot stronger and faster acting. Basically, Asian pear is forgiving, but kiwi will turn meat to mush if overdone. I use a grill rather than a skillet as called for in the recipe, but if I don't feel like grilling outside, we'll cook it at the table on our tabletop grill.

A friend used to have a business making pignoli cookies, bakeries here make great ones but they’re SO expensive. I should try and make them, so delicious plus my daughter with celiac loves them.
That's the reason I learned how to make them - they are so expensive! They are still not cheap to make, but much less expensive than the bakeries!

Definitely my lasagna

I have a friend who was a coworker at one point and I used him as a reference after I left that job. He was talking to someone and they asked him why they should hire me. He said because I make a really good lasagna LOL

This carbonara recipe was given to my daughter by a friend from Italy:

PASTA CARBONARA

3 eggs
12 oz. spaghetti
12 oz. bacon or pancetta
2 T. olive oil
Salt and black pepper to taste
Parmesan cheese

Heat olive oil in large skillet, add the bacon, and cook until bacon is done; remove bacon and drain off the fat.
Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti as package directs, until al dente.
Beat the eggs.
Strain the spaghetti and put it into the skillet used to cook the bacon.
Add the bacon and beaten eggs to the spaghetti and place over a low heat.
Cook just until everything is well mixed and the eggs begin to cook.
Stir in Parmesan cheese in the amount desired.
Remove from heat, stir, and serve.
In Italy they use guanciale (pork cheek), but I don't know where to get that around here. I use pancetta, I think it has more flavor than bacon (I don't drain the fat, either, unless it was a super greasy piece of meat). We also usually use pecorino instead of parmesan, but have used parmesan when we didn't have pecorino on hand. If you want it creamier, use more yolks than whole eggs or even all yolks.

Being originally from the UK my “signature dishes” consist of food that I enjoyed growing up but is uncommon in the US. Namely, duck fat roast potatoes, Yorkshire puddings, and Christmas pudding. Everyone enjoys the first two, but almost no Americans like Christmas pudding, so apart from the tiny portions that some may eat mostly out of politeness or curiosity, I get that all to myself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter