What is the weirdest thing you have woke up to?

One night when my husband was working very late, I woke up to the sound of music playing. I got up and walked into the hallway to try to figure out where the music was coming from. The music stopped and since I was tired, so I went back to bed. For the longest time, I could not figure out what would cause that to happen. Later, it occurred to me that what I probably heard was the music playing through our home stereo system. I have no idea how that would happen.

Another time my husband and I were visiting his parents. I woke up in the middle of the night and heard, "Help me, mommy. Help me." I froze in bed and couldn't move or speak. I was too scared to wake my husband. Since the voice didn't sound like one of my kids, I just went back to sleep. In the morning, I told him about what I heard. He told me that he heard it too. :scared: Thankfully, it never happened again. Since these are not the only two strange incidents, I guess the pattern of me waking up to weird things is that they are things that I could not explain.

When my oldest two boys were about 4 and 6 I woke up one morning, very early, and there were 4 pairs of eyes staring at me, just inches from my face. They had met two new friends in the neighborhood who wanted to visit, and since the kids didn't want to wake me up they just stood there quietly staring until I woke up on my own.

Not me, thankfully, but acquaintances were awakened one night by their cats chasing /playing with a bat in their bed. Yep, bat was rabid. Long ugly sequence of shots, etc., ensued. OMG!!!

Mine was one of my children standing next to the bed. I woke up because I could feel someone looking at me. Her face was really close so when I opened my eyes we were nearly eyeball to eyeball. Who needs alarm clocks when you have children?

One night when my husband was working very late, I woke up to the sound of music playing. I got up and walked into the hallway to try to figure out where the music was coming from. The music stopped and since I was tired, so I went back to bed. For the longest time, I could not figure out what would cause that to happen. Later, it occurred to me that what I probably heard was the music playing through our home stereo system. I have no idea how that would happen.

Another time my husband and I were visiting his parents. I woke up in the middle of the night and heard, "Help me, mommy. Help me." I froze in bed and couldn't move or speak. I was too scared to wake my husband. Since the voice didn't sound like one of my kids, I just went back to sleep. In the morning, I told him about what I heard. He told me that he heard it too. :scared: Thankfully, it never happened again. Since these are not the only two strange incidents, I guess the pattern of me waking up to weird things is that they are things that I could not explain.

At first, I was thinking the music might be hypno/hypnagogic hallucinations. Where you hear things just before you fall asleep or just before you wake up, you can hear things. Like I have heard a doorbell (I don't have one), symphonic music, whispering, and ringing. But if it was something like where you and your husband both heard it, that I have no explanation for. Spooky!

I have also woken up from a dream, and had the dream continue when my eyes were open. It was kind of like was I was talking about above, but only visual, too, and not just auditory. I was dreaming that there was a horse that was galloping towards me and when I woke up and opened my eyes, i could see my room and I could not move, but was still also seeing the dream, like in a layer over it. Could see the horse like galloping over from the coner of my room. Then when I was getting more fully awake, it just disappeared, and all I could see was my room. It was weird.

Maybe waking up to our electricity going out but seeing flickering lights in our room- the shop was on fire.

My younger DD is also good for some surprises. One Christmas morning at 6 she came in and said, "I just threw up...I did it on the dog pillow because I thought that would be better than the floor." Yes, at least the pillow can go in the washer!

Or times when she would sleepwalk and talk to us!

One time in college, I was awoken at 4am by the sound of my roommates screaming in terror. I jumped up, grabbed my baseball bat, and ran out to find... a fire. In the bathroom sink. And I'm not talking a little bit of fire, this was a fire taller than my head (I'm 5' 3"). My roommates were too drunk to realize that turning the faucet on would put water on the flame, so I did it for them. It went out in a few minutes once the sink filled. The damage was done, and the sink had to be replaced, and I made them pay for it. They refused to tell me what had been burning in the sink, but it was some sort of gel substance, and the apartment stunk for a week afterwards.

June 2009, 3:30 am, I thought that I was having a dream where someone was speaking on a megaphone. A few minutes later I opened my eyes and noticed that my bedroom was lit up like a Christmas tree with the red and blue police car lights. I ran downstairs and noticed that my entire street was swarming with state police and multiple municipality police department vehicles as well as K-9's. I'm talking 15-20 police vehicles. Once all the commotion quieted down, I found out that a man had stabbed someone outside of a club in downtown Scranton, sped away from the scene then crashed his car into the stone wall of a house about a block away from me and fled on foot onto my street. A German Shepherd located him in my neighbor's shed.

Then, two months later, I woke up the smoke of smell and sirens, looked out my bedroom window, and noticed that the house across the street was on fire. That summer wasn't a good one for my quiet little neighborhood.

One summer morning I woke up to the neighbor 2 houses over in my backyard on my porch knocking on the glass door in her nightgown and rain boots, with her dog.

Had no idea who she was. It was after I called the police and then dressed and went out front to see her son putting her in car that I realized she must have dementia.

The family moved not too long after.

Woke because of earthquake... in MD. Few years ago. Was weird.
In NC several years ago, during ice storm, woke to tree cracking sounds. House backed to woods. Power was out, it was like twenty degrees and we could hear constant cracking of trees and branches breaking and falling.

A cat jumping on the bed with a snake in her mouth.

You just reminded me that I once woke up to a 4 foot black snake slithering up a shelf in my room. It knocked stuff off the shelf and that woke me up. When I opened my eyes and tried to figure out what was going on, I didn't have my eyeglasses on and when I looked, I thought, what is that branch doing in my room and leaning up on the shelf like that? Then, it moved. I grabbed my glasses and saw it was a snake and I about had a heart attack. My parents were at church and I tried to call and text them so my dad could get it out. No one was answering me and I was really starting to freak out. I picked up the dog and got out of the room, but I didn't know what to do. What if it hid and then my dad couldn't find it. I called my friend and his wife answered and said he wasn't home. She is braver than I am and she said she would come over and get it. She brought a bag and one of those gripping things, like some people use to reach high up items. My friend, the snake wrangler, props to her, she got it out of my room!

I snapped an iPhone photo. Well, a few. The first couple i was shaking so hard, the photo was blurry. I knew if I didn't get a photo, my parents would think I was exaggerating.

IMG_9065.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter