What is going on with Disney parks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I've just finished up booking all my fp for xmas trip and I can tell ya, I am very pleased. This is the first year I've been able to get the " hard to get" fp's rite out of the gate. I dont know if it's a sign of less people booking but I'm really hopeful that's the case. I stay offsite so I can do 30 days out so I have never been able to get FOP or Mine Train on my initial booking. I would usually have to keep checking for drops for weeks after and hope I could snag them but not this year, something definitely going on. I even got prime times for them as well. Either Disney is releasing more fp or there is less people booking at xmas. Has anyone else that's going at xmas experience this or did I just get lucky for the first time ever at the busiest time of the year.
We are going the end of February and first week of March, and I had no problem with ADR's at all. I got every one I wanted and at the times I wanted. That has never happened in my 25+ years of staying onsite at Disney. Our FP date isn't until the end of December, so don't know about that yet. But we are hopeful that the adr situation wasn't a fluke! It's nice to get what you want, but a little weird too because it has never happened before. I hope this means there is a decrease in the amount of visitors.

Maybe it just me but it's starting to sound like the reason to go to universal is for Harry Potter. And that's the only reason. Sure they have other things but anything new not named Harry Potter range okay to subpar at best. Hopefully that changes with their third gate. But as of right now it's a maybe I'll go back every 4 yrs instead of almost every year like disney.

But that doesn't mean disney is without faults, more so under Iger than any other in companies past. Like raising the prices yearly, buying every company up, etc. Hopefully under new leadership a lot of these price gouging will change.
There are definitely people who only do HP while at Universal and HP did push USO into a new category but lots of people enjoy Universal as a whole. The vibe is different, the park touring often much more relaxed, the park to park touring easier (though DLR and DCA are like that), the type of rides (although motion sickness issues can be a main complaint), their price point of their hotels cannot be beat by Disney, etc. I've been craving Toothsome ever since I had it lol.

Personally an Orlando trip isn't complete without both. I cannot imagine only going to one. Then again we space out our trips. My husband mentioned doing a quick Food and Wine and I was like "but then I'll want to go to the other parks and Universal and yeah" lol.

We don't want to go to Disney or Universal every year to begin with so that might have something to do with it.

There are definitely people who only do HP while at Universal and HP did push USO into a new category but lots of people enjoy Universal as a whole. The vibe is different, the park touring often much more relaxed, the park to park touring easier (though DLR and DCA are like that), the type of rides (although motion sickness issues can be a main complaint), their price point of their hotels cannot be beat by Disney, etc. I've been craving Toothsome ever since I had it lol.

Personally an Orlando trip isn't complete without both. I cannot imagine only going to one. Then again we space out our trips. My husband mentioned doing a quick Food and Wine and I was like "but then I'll want to go to the other parks and Universal and yeah" lol.

We don't want to go to Disney or Universal every year to begin with so that might have something to do with it.
I'm typically the same way and go every other year or so and hit all the parks (WDW, Universal, and Sea World). I decided to do 3 different runDisney race weekends within a 12 month period so opted to get an AP for this year. So every trip has been solely WDW because I'm like hey, it's free (or already paid for), and I'll have to spend $$ to go to the other parks. I loooove Disney, but it's been hard to skip the other parks. Though hopefully I will be moving to central Florida next year and can go to alllll the parks haha.

Has anyone noticed a difference between using MDE app vs online MDE. I've been trying to make changes in the times of a couple fp and my Oga's reservation and everytime I use the mde app it shows absolutely nothing available but then when I go online to mde it shows several different options. Is this by design or is this a tech issue. Since I've noticed this I started checking a few other things and sure enough, the mde app says nothing available but online mde has multiple choices. Something tells me this is by design by Disney to take advantage of those who visit frequently and have become complacent to the mde app. From here on out I'll be using the online mde for everything.

This has always been the case for me. Refreshing is more successful (for me) on a chrome browser on my iPhone than the app (noticeably but not super dramatically). The android app has been a wash between it and a browser. That said, there are often more times shown when you modify than when you first make them so if you make them on MDE and then modify online it may appear that online is better but it may be just modifying.

This has always been the case for me. Refreshing is more successful (for me) on a chrome browser on my iPhone than the app (noticeably but not super dramatically). The android app has been a wash between it and a browser. That said, there are often more times shown when you modify than when you first make them so if you make them on MDE and then modify online it may appear that online is better but it may be just modifying.

I decided to check again and sure enough, same thing. A week later and if I use mde app to try and modify navi river time it says there are no more fp times available for this attraction and then I go online and choose the same fo to modify and it shows several different times still available. I even took snap shot. Not sure why but definitely something going on.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191201-093725_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191201-093725_Chrome.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_20191201-093549_Disney World.jpg
    Screenshot_20191201-093549_Disney World.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 31
I decided to check again and sure enough, same thing. A week later and if I use mde app to try and modify navi river time it says there are no more fp times available for this attraction and then I go online and choose the same fo to modify and it shows several different times still available. I even took snap shot. Not sure why but definitely something going on.

Interesting. Looks like you have an Android. I wonder if something got screwed up in the latest update.

Well, I went through and updated everything and still same results. Mde app not showing any options but online mde does. The other thing that's bothering me, we are a party of 3 and I have a rsvp for 1 at Oga's and when I check availability it shows there are still spots available at the same exact time I already have but when I try to change my party from 1 to 2, it says nothing available. So I ended up having to do 3 separate 1 party bookings for the exact time even though it shows there still slots available. Even now there still available spots but it will not allow me to change my party from 1. Very frustrating but I guess I'll end up staying on hold for 45min just to talk to someone.

Well, I went through and updated everything and still same results. Mde app not showing any options but online mde does. The other thing that's bothering me, we are a party of 3 and I have a rsvp for 1 at Oga's and when I check availability it shows there are still spots available at the same exact time I already have but when I try to change my party from 1 to 2, it says nothing available. So I ended up having to do 3 separate 1 party bookings for the exact time even though it shows there still slots available. Even now there still available spots but it will not allow me to change my party from 1. Very frustrating but I guess I'll end up staying on hold for 45min just to talk to someone.
I would call to verify and I would contact IT to let them know what you are experiencing.

I’m done.

We’re standing in line for the Christmas processional. Got here 45 mins before the show and the line is past Morocco (dinning package).

Every step of the way I feel like Jack Frost has taken over the N Pole.

I’m done.

We’re standing in line for the Christmas processional. Got here 45 mins before the show and the line is past Morocco (dinning package).

You got a seat, though, rIght? They didn’t sell more dining packages than they had seats for, did they?

You got a seat, though, rIght? They didn’t sell more dining packages than they had seats for, did they?

i had a lovely view of a pole right in front of the podium.
It’s just not the dinning package. It seems like everywhere I go I can hear Martin Short’s voice, “come e have a cookie with a mouse...for just a few dollars more!”

It feels like I’m paying more and getting less each step of the way.

A few days left here, a quick stay already booked in March to blow through some points and then the parks are all yours, folks! 😄

It’s just not the dinning package. It seems like everywhere I go I can hear Martin Short’s voice, “come e have a cookie with a mouse...for just a few dollars more!”

A few days left here, a quick stay already booked in March to blow through some points and then the parks are all yours, folks! 😄

Oof, that's unfortunate. And seems to touch on a common theme these days. Pay for a package or up-charge where one might think (or be given the impression) that they are buying exclusivity or something special, show up and just be part of the endless herd. It's part of why I'm so hesitant anymore to do the dessert parties and even MNSSHP or MVMCP.

Unfortunately, anytime Disney creates "exclusive" access to otherwise "free" events like a fireworks dessert party or Candlelight package, it seems to only increase demand for that event. We did the Processional some years back when John O'Hurley was the narrator. It was busy, and there was a wait, but it was manageable. Stark contrast to this past Friday when we were in Epcot, American Adventure was a zoo.

There are a select number of up-charge events that we've carefully picked over the years - most recently the Monorail dine-around, which for the most part did feel personal and worth the extra money, but many of these other offerings just don't seem to cut it.

I understand Joe. My family and I are planning a trip to Orlando next year. And we WILL NOT be going to Disney World. IMHO, its just gotten too expensive for us.

most recently the Monorail dine-around, which for the most part did feel personal and worth the extra money,
Are you talking abou the Highway in the Sky Dine Around?

I have heard fairly good reviews on that. I think what is nice is that you don't need park admission for it so people who may not have an extra day's ticket or want to burn park time doing this can. Might be easier to part with the money for that. Plus you get to watch the fireworks from CR, valet parking included, tip is included (well at least Disney's website says that), etc.

I let a buddy of mine talk us into doing the Mickey xmas party cause he said they only sell a select number of tickets and the crowds are alot lower than normal days...so we bought into it and was all excited about being able to go ride some rides without having to wait 90min and much to our surprise, the place was freakn packed. Rides like haunted Mansion was 60min, mine train 120min, it was no different than being there on a normal day except I paid $125 per ticket for only a few hours in a crowded park...never again

Are you talking abou the Highway in the Sky Dine Around?

I have heard fairly good reviews on that. I think what is nice is that you don't need park admission for it so people who may not have an extra day's ticket or want to burn park time doing this can. Might be easier to part with the money for that. Plus you get to watch the fireworks from CR, valet parking included, tip is included (well at least Disney's website says that), etc.

Yes that was it. DW and I did it in March of 2018 for an anniversary dinner. The group was less than 30 people total and we really enjoyed the entire experience - from visits from the chefs at each resort to personal guidance from Disney employees (things like ensuring that we got right on the monorail at each stop and taking care of all the other arrangements for the evening.)

It really did feel like a VIP experience, not cheap at $170/pp but not that bad considering the food and drinks provided. And just on value alone for us at least, it beat $84+park admission for a dessert party. A prime example of when Disney does something right, they do it right.

Wish they could figure out how to (or would care to) transfer elements of these special experiences to all of their up-charge events.

Just back from a week at WDW with 4 year old grandaughter. Parks were packed on Sat, Sun, Mon. Not so much Tues, Wed, Thru, Fri, but was packed again on Sat. Did not do much in new Star Wars Land due to 4 yr old just not interested, she was more into Toystory and Slinky Dog Ride. Tried Skyliner and my wife and I both agree this is a much better way to go than buses-the buses had constant delays and folding and unfolding of strollers with everyone crowding in is just not convientent. Looking forward to next trip in late May. If any questions on current construction, will be happy to update.

I’m done.

Disney is becoming a victim of its own popularity. Every year people hear (and now SEE via Facebook or Instagram) all the cool things happening in the parks in December such as the Candelight processional (which -- despite it happening for a long time, I never heard of until I started visiting a site like this).. so more people WANT to go do it .. so DEMAND for these things keep going up and up. Christmas and Halloween probably make the marks more popular than Spring Break and Summer now.

So .. Disney can offer these dining packages (and make some extra dough) to fill that demand by essentially creating reservations for a free event in a park you are pyaing to get into.

Not sure what else they can do .. if they didnt do things like Fast Passes or early morning Magic or Dining reservations or boarding groups people would complain that the parks are too crowded and they dont have options to get into things.

Is attendance still down at the parks. Were here now and I can tell ya, the crowds are nothing like they have been in previous years. We come every year during xmas so I'm no stranger to the xmas crowds but this year is definitely different and in a big way. We just did ROR and it was little crowded getting in at the gate at park opening but once we got in it wasn't bad at all. At GE we had plenty of walking room, no lines in the shops, mobile order food at dock bay 7 in 2min and had plenty of tables to sit, no lines at bathrooms, we had rsvp at Oga's but canceled cause we were able to get rite in. I just noticed that Disney has extended there special ticket prices through Sept of 2020 also. Maybe were just getting lucky this year and missing the crowds but this would be a first in 10yr, not sure if actual attendance is down but I know for fact the xmas crowd is not even close to what it has been in previous years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter