What is a DVC guides salary?

raiden

Bay Laker
I had this thought a couple of months ago and did a little bit of research but didnt come up with anything solid. I heard they do not make commission but do get paid bonuses based on how many points they sell. Does anyone know if this is true and does anyone know about salary amount or incentive programs?

If you are interested in a position as a guide, you should contact DVC directly. Otherwise, members really have no access to that information, as the guides salaries are not an annual dues budget item, they are paid through whatever division handles DVC Sales & Marketing.

I had this thought a couple of months ago and did a little bit of research but didnt come up with anything solid. I heard they do not make commission but do get paid bonuses based on how many points they sell. Does anyone know if this is true and does anyone know about salary amount or incentive programs?

I have been told that "Senior Guides" get paid a salary that is enough to "pay the bills". I have also been told that it's a tough business.

The Disney that we see from the Guest point of view is not the same view that Cast Members have. Part time work, low pay, pressure to preform, lack of tools to do the job, and a whole lot of incorrect or mis-information.

Often the powers to be will release info to the public before they share it with the Cast Members. We get upset because our Guides don't tell us about a certain incentive or when they don't share information. There's a good chance that they haven't been told yet.

We also get upset when they don't call back quickly. In reality their workload is more than the can handle and they may be forced to work part time. They have to pick and choose who to spend their time on. If the caller has a general question not related to a possible sale and another contact wants to buy, who would you call back?

I have been told that "Senior Guides" get paid a salary that is enough to "pay the bills". I have also been told that it's a tough business.

The Disney that we see from the Guest point of view is not the same view that Cast Members have. Part time work, low pay, pressure to preform, lack of tools to do the job, and a whole lot of incorrect or mis-information.

Often the powers to be will release info to the public before they share it with the Cast Members. We get upset because our Guides don't tell us about a certain incentive or when they don't share information. There's a good chance that they haven't been told yet.

We also get upset when they don't call back quickly. In reality their workload is more than the can handle and they may be forced to work part time. They have to pick and choose who to spend their time on. If the caller has a general question not related to a possible sale and another contact wants to buy, who would you call back?

Wow! You speak as if you have first hand experience, but I really hope it is not that bad!:scared1:

Wow! You speak as if you have first hand experience, but I really hope it is not that bad!:scared1:

I think that it is just typical business.

Guests for some reason have it in their head that Disney isn't a business, it's a fun place.

It is a fun place on stage, but back stage it's a business. Run like any other business. Different departments fighting over budgets and getting out sourced. Services getting cut due to a poor economy and Guest attendance being less than expected. That's why it' important that we provide feed back, good or bad.

Guests for some reason have it in their head that Disney isn't a business, it's a fun place.
COLOR]

I've heard many of the same things and keep that in mind when I get the occasional urge to look at potential Disney jobs. In the end it's best to enjoy Disney as a guest and DVC owner.

Many years ago I said to my wife that, based on the generally cheery and helpful disposition of CM's, they were either well paid for their positions or Disney ruled with an iron fist. Later my friend moved to Orlando and his wife got a job in one of the MGM gift shops. That is when I learned that it was the latter of the two. She explained the litany of rules they had to follow and showed us 3 huge binders that contained all the rules and regs they were to follow. I guess Disney is no different, they have a business to run and need to do what they have to make a profit.

Many years ago I said to my wife that, based on the generally cheery and helpful disposition of CM's, they were either well paid for their positions or Disney ruled with an iron fist. Later my friend moved to Orlando and his wife got a job in one of the MGM gift shops. That is when I learned that it was the latter of the two. She explained the litany of rules they had to follow and showed us 3 huge binders that contained all the rules and regs they were to follow. I guess Disney is no different, they have a business to run and need to do what they have to make a profit.

There's a reason why Disney's #1 - their attention to detail & customer service are second to none, hence large binders of *ahem* guidelines. You'll get bad and good reviews out there about working with the mouse, or any employer for that matter... all employers have folk who leave them with bitter I'm-better-than-this attitudes... **BUT** if you go in expecting nothing, then you may be pleasantly surprised and love the position and the people you work with for years to come.

Remember, when you can put you've worked for Disney on your resume, future employers not only have an interesting item to discuss, but know you've been trained in customer service by the best. We all have customers/clients/guests of one type or another. ;)

Remember, when you can put you've worked for Disney on your resume, future employers not only have an interesting item to discuss, but know you've been trained in customer service by the best.

This is very true. I experienced being on the inside for numerous years back in the late 80's and early '90s at Disneyland. The corporate culture has definitely changed even moreso since then - but from what I experienced, there was definitely a "class system" between those in management and those on the front lines. That still exists as far as I can tell from a few friends that remain inside, but has only been exacerbated with time. I'm sure it's the same or worse at WDW. BUT - that experience definitely did help me out with customer service skills and shine through on the resume and a few interviews since those college days. Even today I still remember some of the adages that were drilled into my head - "If there's time to lean, there's time to clean", "Guests First", etc, etc. So often I'll go into a store, restaurant or whereever and see staff members leaning back just talking with one another off to the side while a line is backed up at a register and I just want to scream. We were to drop everything if a guest came up to us - not ignore them or look the other way and pretend we don't see them like so many of today's retail workforce does. There's just no sense of urgency in much of the marketplace like was drilled into our heads back in the day. I served as a trainer as well, and remember doing the same thing to new CM's too. Those manuals are definitely there for a reason.

Every so often the desire to be "inside the magic" once again creeps up and I'll briefly consider the possibility - but the realization comes that I don't need those frustrations even now in middle to upper management - I'd rather keep the magic by visiting and playing there rather than working there...

Hello all,

When I went for the sales pitch at the DVC welcome center, it definitely seemed like the guides were on commission. When I was in the van on the way to the DVC welcome center, my wife asked what is was like working for Disney (including pay). The cast member stated the pay was low, but the benefits were great, especially if you love the parks (free passes for you and your family at certain times of the year). Being this was an older woman (and retired), I think she was mainly doing her job to keep from boredom. As a needed salary job, I think it would be extremely hard to support yourself on Disney's salaries (unless you are in management).

We have a friend who is a cast member at WDW and two years ago he was on the negotiating committee for the food/beverage people (that part of the union also encompassed other areas). When he told us what Disney was proposing I was really surprised. I had heard that the salaries were low but never imagined they were as low as I discovered. Cast members work there for the love of Disney (and the perks) and I have to give 99.9% of them credit for being who they are in spreading the "magic".

I have been a big Disney fan since my children were young...Our trips to WDW began in 1991 and we now call it our second home, since we vacation there so often. My DD had the priviledge of being a CM through the college internship in 2005 and she just loved it. Now I have been fortunate to see Disney on the inside as a TDS CM. Yes, the pay is low but I am not working there for the $$, sort of speak, but for the love of Disney. I have a FT job elsewhere but when I go to TDS I feel like I am at the parks talking to the guests...It truely is a magical experience. The training manuals and videos should be available to all Americans, it would make the US a better place! Walt Disney for President! if only he could...
Did I mention the perks...the next time your at TDS or the parks ask a CM about it...:banana:

Being a guide is one of the better positions. Call it commission or call it a bonus, the more they produce, the more they make.

The training manuals and videos should be available to all Americans, it would make the US a better place! Walt Disney for President! if only he could...
No kidding! Years ago (20+) I got a glimpse of Disney training manuals related to accounting software. They were inspirational -- and we are only talking accounting! I can only imagine how Disney addresses issues of personal conduct, ethics, customer satisfaction, separation of one's "real life" from their role at work, etc.

Chuck: No. I could never work in sales! I do just fine being self employed. But I would consider a job there when I retire...not in sales.

Thanks for the replies. I found out a little bit more. As I understand it they work on a draw(similar to car sales and such..) with extra based on points they sell..Just curious because I find this Disney cash cow interesting.

I don't want to see the other side of Disney. I think it would ruin it for me. I have seen that side of other big companies it can be really ugly. One big chain store was so bad I can't go in there anymore. I think I will stay on this side of the curtain.

I would still really like to work for the mouse. In fact, when I went back to college and got my degree it was with that intent. I even went to the college recruitment program (knew all the trivia and was easily the oldest one there)..however, reality set in when I knew I had to be home with DH and DK for the summer, and when the time came neither CA of FL was appealing. so we ended up in Vegas. Even though there was lots of BS and labor issues and godawful guests, I still respect and admire the MGM company. I know the sparkles don't carry on backstage, but I would still love to work for Disney. Maybe because I'm a rule follower, I like places that make everyone actually follow them...

One of my friends works for the Mouse and I have heard the good, bad, ugly, and the not repeatable. The ones that truly amaze me are the stories of Disney guests not behaving in Disney manner and expecting everyone to treat them like royalty. The way that some people behave on vacation, I would have been fired a long time ago if I was working for that Mouse...

...and incredibly inept frontline management. I've heard the same thing from several former CM's from a variety of areas of Disney. We go to see "The Mouse;" they cuss "The RAT!"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter