• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What has Disney removed that makes you the saddest?

Spectromagic... I miss singing it. "On this magic niiiiight, a million stars will play beside us... "

and Push the trashcan :sad1:

I used to love River Country when I was a kid. Low key fun afternoon. And Discovery Island before the amoebae took over.

And I miss the idea that characters were just there walking around. i know the increase of visitors has made things like that impossible, but it was cool.

I used to love River Country when I was a kid. Low key fun afternoon. And Discovery Island before the amoebae took over.

And I miss the idea that characters were just there walking around. i know the increase of visitors has made things like that impossible, but it was cool.

Holy cow...was river country at disney? When I was a baby, someone gave me a little yellow shirt that said River Country, but I had no idea it was disney. I wonder if my mom still has it!

I miss discovery Island, the parades at AK and HS, the menus and food from several years back, the original spaceship Earth,

Oh and most of all, the Mickey cakes from Main Street Bakery. I want one so bad. I will never go in there again.

River Country was so cool! It was so rustic, even the slides were like rock formations! Plus the sandy beaches and pools.

Spontaneity

Yes, this!

Anyone remember this?

or this?

edit to add:

we were there in November. It's all boarded up and the kids working the attractions are sitting around bored. The real shame was they took the church and turned it into frozen refuse.

Alot of things removed have made me sad....

-Removal of most of the educational attractions in Future World, such as Wonders of Life pavilion, World of Motion pavilion, Horizons (sort of educational?). I also miss Food Rocks in the Land. These were my favorite parts of WDW when I was a kid & really beneficial for kids in general.

-Removal of cast member interaction attractions, such as Living with the Land & the old Backlot Tour, as well as alot of Streetmosphere that is now gone. This made the WDW experience so unique, in my opinion.

-Removal of Spectromagic. So sad :( The current parade just does not compare.

-Removal of LTT character meal. Sounds silly I know, but it was my favorite character meal!

-Removal of the Polynesian waterfall :( This used to bring so many memories of my childhood, of my honeymoon, etc...I had hopes of having my DDs' pics taken on the bench in the lobby, just like my brother & I did in 1979....

-Removal of the old FP system. The new system is ok, but the old system seemed more fair or equal opportunity.

Oh and most of all, the Mickey cakes from Main Street Bakery. I want one so bad. I will never go in there again.

I still can't believe they closed that bakery and put a you know what there.

Also the skyway was my favorite along with the backlot tours

I think the things that were removed that make me the saddest, are the saddest because they also happened to be my favorite childhood memories, and I'm a bit bummed my daughter will never get to experience them. I know change happens, but I would have liked if at least one was still around.

#1 I miss Horizons most. It was so relaxing, and got my brain going as a kid. The smell of orange, the choose your own adventure ending, the length of the ride. All awesome.

#2 The original Imagination and the activities in the pavilion upstairs. How many of you really miss the white/rainbow room in Imagination? I used to beg to play upstairs for ages. It was gorgeous!

#3 World of Motion. Test Track is neat, but it's over so quick.

#4 Golf carts at the village. I bet some of us are giving out age away with that. I still remember driving (riding around) in one and hearing that "hellllp. helllp" of the peacocks for the first time. (And yeah...the peacocks! Has anyone seen one recently?) Plus, the general more relaxed pace at staying at the villas and the less crowded village was so relaxing.

#5 When EPCOT used to have a daytime show. Remember the airplanes? I also miss the double decker buses (but these aren't as "sad" imo, just things that were pretty cool)

I'm excited about the new developments at the Village though, and AK was an addition I did not have in my childhood that I'm really excited for my daughter to see.

To add a more positive note: A few things that are super memorable that I'm still glad are around are the American Adventure (it's scary how much history I learned from seeing that so many times versus school), Spaceship Earth, Haunted Mansion, POTC, The Living Seas Aquarium, Impressions of France, the Carousel, Star Tours, and the Jungle Cruise.

Not Nick Frankin...that is for sure!!!:thumbsup2

Disney Exec who lead MyMagic+ will leave company...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-disney-mymagicplus-executive-leaving-20140519,0,3642522.story

:rolleyes1

The fact that their "team" grew from 35 to 1,000 means the project is over budget. I mean, I can't really comprehend how a project compensates an increase of 965 employees on the tech side of things and then adds umpteen hundred extra IPAD-wielding FP+ CMs in the parks makes this look cool.

I'm more sad for what they haven't added than I am for those things they have taken away.

I KNEW someone would turn a thread about "what do you miss the most" into some STUPID rant about MyMagic+.

Word of advice: GET OVER IT. MyMagic+ is here to stay. And coming to other parks soon, including Disneyland.

The most recent ones are Off Kilter, and especially the World Showcase Players. I suspect having one comedy troupe there for many years meant escalating pay, so Disney had to make a hard (I hope) choice. But in my books, they really goofed when they let the World Showcase Players go. That style of humour is universal - something for the kids and something for the adults at the same time. It was family humour, and who am I kidding, British humour, which is the best, isn't it? ;) This is one I will truly mourn.:sad1:

I was last there just before they started making all the changes in front of the Castle in front of Magic Kingdom, and I know if I ever go again, I will truly miss the Rose Garden. The literal "smell the roses" opportunity will be gone. I think they changed everything in the name of safer crowd management, but they need to remember to replace some of the atmosphere - if they don't, it will truly be an opportunity lost.

I miss the candy lady in Japan.

I'm with a lot of other people and really miss SpectroMagic. The music still haunts me, and the floats were just better!

I miss more Streetmosphere.

I liked 20,000 Leagues under the Sea, and Hollywood Studios operating as a true, live studio. I liked the full Backlot Tour when everything was still there.

I know changes are made in the name of progress, and to make improvements.....so I like the new Star Tours, and I didn't complain when they updated Spaceship Earth.

But to me, especially lately, they've been a little too quick to cut, and not taking the time to evaluate whether something could be improved rather than just dismissed. The old saying applies here, I think: "Haste makes waste".

Food Rocks

And I can tell I am going to miss the Rose Garden and OffKilter my next trip!

Food Rocks

And I can tell I am going to miss the Rose Garden and OffKilter my next trip![/QUOTE

We have been twice since they removed Off Kilter and it still makes me sad every time we walk by Canada. We used to plan our Epcot days around Off Kilter's shows.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter