What happened to Disney Springs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who are looking for what Disney Springs offers, the more power to them.

I have access to places very similar. I miss Pleasure Island, especially the comedy club. I don't get to WDW as often as I would like, and I prefer to spend my time between mornings at Magic Kingdom, 1 morning/afternoon at Epcot, afternoons & evenings at Polynesian Village Resort, & dinners at Signature restaurants. I avoid large crowds like the plague, and I cannot stand to wander aimlessly for hours. For people like me, DS just isn't worth the limited precious time at WDW.

Isn't it wonderful that there is something for everyone at WDW? No need to argue about it.

I accept people having different opinions on everything, it's a fact of life but saying DS is like Black Friday on steroids is not correct. It is crowded during the evenings on weekends but early afternoon is really comfortable to walk around, not crowded by anyone's standards. The flow does get a boy to get used to but you can do a full circle without double tracking.
I'm not trying to convince anyone to like ds, if you don't like shopping you probably won't like ds, what I'm saying is that it is not your typical local mall and only looking at the upscale stores that it now has is not looking at everything they have to offer
I was at DS on a midweek afternoon in January, and it was definitely crowded.

again, I and others have said weekends in the evening are the most crowded but it is NOT always that crowded. Giving absolute statements like "DS is like Black Friday on Steroids" is not accurate.

I didn’t see the word “always” in anyone’s post.

But then, I also don’t think it is possible to declare inaccuracy when referring to someone’s opinion.

We have one of those fancy dine-in movie theatres at home. There are several bowling alleys in our city and I hate bowling anyway.
You couldn't PAY me to get in a hot air balloon.
We have a VR HTC Vive system in our living room and I also hate Star Wars.

You don't like bowling, so having a bowling alley is a demerit for Disney Springs.
You don't like hot air balloons, so having Characters in Flight is a demerit for Disney Springs.
You have a basic VR kit at home (and don't tell me it isn't basic, I have the same type of setup at home, which I love) so having VR (which most people don't have!) is a demerit for Disney Springs.

You're frankly being ridiculous, you can't measure the success or quality of something based on your preferences, especially since the main complaints seem to be crowds, which wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't successful.

Also, comparing a Vive setup to The Void is like saying because you have a tub the resorts shouldn't have pools. They're not remotely in the same league.

Matt

Our first visit to DS this past February was actually pretty fun. We enjoyed it and we're used to tiny DTD in Anaheim in comparison.

Jock Lindsay Hangar Bar is fun. But I like Indiana Jones, so I'm super biased (and will go back there every time if I have someone to watch my kiddo).

Yes! It's also worth noting that they have non-alcoholic drinks there and really yummy appetizers, so it's cool even if you're not a big drinker.

Maybe I'm late to the game but DS always struck me as an outdoor mall with a bunch of restaurants. Maybe it was different years ago? I was there last Oct and that's totally the vibe I got from it. Some of the shops you definitely dont need (Volcom..I'm looking at you!) but the fact they have a Uniqlo is AMAZING! Unless you live in NY or Cali you will never get to see one. The restaurants I enjoyed!

I haven't been in over 10 years and have no desire to go again. I have a lot of high end stores and great restaurants in my area. I don't need to go to WDW for that.

I think if I were a local I'm sure I would enjoy it more. But when I'm on vacation I don't want to go to a big outdoor shopping mall. Or the outlets. I know a lot of people hit the outlets while at WDW. We have tons of them at home too. At least 4 centers within a 20 minute drive from me and more a bit further out.
If you haven't been for over 10 years then you have no clue as to what you are missing.

I can't imagine being a local and going to Disney Springs on purpose.

I am a local and with the exception of going to the Fireworks Factory back in the day for hot wings, I can probably count on two hands the number of times I have gone to all the iterations of Disney Springs - when I am not on vacation. I do like to go to DS when I am on vacation, on non park days or if I am only doing the parks after hours. But if I am going to take the trouble to drive over for the day, I am more likely to go to a park than DS. Most of the people I work with avoid DS and CityWalk over at Universal like the plague.

I accept people having different opinions on everything, it's a fact of life but saying DS is like Black Friday on steroids is not correct. It is crowded during the evenings on weekends but early afternoon is really comfortable to walk around, not crowded by anyone's standards. The flow does get a boy to get used to but you can do a full circle without double tracking.
I'm not trying to convince anyone to like ds, if you don't like shopping you probably won't like ds, what I'm saying is that it is not your typical local mall and only looking at the upscale stores that it now has is not looking at everything they have to offer
TO ME IT IS LIKE BLACK FRIDAY ON STEROIDS!

How many times do I have to say it? It's MY OPINION and I have a right to it.

I'm not trying to convince you to dislike DS. I am trying to get you to see that correcting how others feel, think or their opinions is trying to invalidate them.

If I say, "Breakfast sucks at DS."

And there's no breakfast at DS.

You have the right to call what I'm saying wrong or stupid.

But my feelings are just those...feelings...stop trying to invalidate them.

This board is EXTREMELY bad about that and it is frustrating.

again, I and others have said weekends in the evening are the most crowded but it is NOT always that crowded. Giving absolute statements like "DS is like Black Friday on Steroids" is not accurate.
And I very freaking clearly said it was MY OPINION. I did not say I have evidence or that it is factual. I'm not Len Testa out there measuring it.

Have some respect for others.

And I very freaking clearly said it was MY OPINION. I did not say I have evidence or that it is factual. I'm not Len Testa out there measuring it.

Have some respect for others.
I seriously don't think I disrespected you or anyone else. If that's how it came across that was not my intention. No need to freak out. Peace and love

Last edited:
TO ME IT IS LIKE BLACK FRIDAY ON STEROIDS!

How many times do I have to say it? It's MY OPINION and I have a right to it.

I'm not trying to convince you to dislike DS. I am trying to get you to see that correcting how others feel, think or their opinions is trying to invalidate them.

If I say, "Breakfast sucks at DS."

And there's no breakfast at DS.

You have the right to call what I'm saying wrong or stupid.

But my feelings are just those...feelings...stop trying to invalidate them.

This board is EXTREMELY bad about that and it is frustrating.

All that was done was point out the "wrong or stupid" parts of your posting though. You are saying things that aren't true, it isn't like Black Friday on steroids, it just isn't that busy, except maybe on Black Friday. The poster you're losing it at was not correcting how you feel or invalidating opinions, they were objecting to the very real falsehoods you were perpetuating under some silly hyperbole. These boards are a resource for many people, some with no other reliable reference and spreading false truths and hyperbole because of your preference is bad for the sites credibility, it's misinformation and it should be addressed. You want to know what this board is bad about? People losing their minds over not having everyone in agreement with their viewpoint. You said something false and got called out for it, get over it.

Matt

I'm a big fan of Disney Springs, and I love everything they keep doing to change it up!

I used to DREAD going to World of Disney to shop - now? I love that they have all the little pop-up "stores" that offer the same things WoD would stock but in a much more enjoyable shopping atmosphere - like the Disney Corner (ears, attire, etc.), Ever After Jeweler (for D&B, LoungeFly, Chrislu, Alex & Ani, etc.), Once Upon a Toy (toys, obviously), the Co-Op (D-Tech, Dress Shop), the Star Wars and Marvel Stores and so on and so forth.

I also like to visit the bars (and pop-up bars at night) and bar-hop. It's like going to a bar at home, but with superior service - Disney service. The Happy Hours - for drinks AND food - are really great given the general Disney price point.

As far as the shops go, the furthest I go towards the Coca-Cola store and Planet Hollywood is Sephora ... and it's nice to have a Sephora THAT close to my house that is easy to get to.

Is it for everyone? Nope. Personally, I don't step foot in Magic Kingdom unless I absolutely have to and I don't understand why people spend multiple days there - but isn't that the beauty of living in a free country where you can do whatever you want?

For me, Disney Springs is an AWESOME addition and I love that they're evolving. I look forward to every weekend night we go, have a great meal, get drinks to walk around with and experience all the awesome entertainment options and the outstanding evening weather in Florida.

We have a love / hate relationship with Disney Springs. It the daytime it's just too hot and we get bored really fast but at night it's a different story. We love the street performers and the DJ in the theatre with the seating area. I don't know what that part is called. My girls had a blast singing along and it was a highlight to our trip in 2016. Last year we only went in the day and thought what a waste of time. We plan on going back this year at night as we have a Paddlefish reservation.

I’m not a fan.
I don’t need an outdoor shopping mall, I can buy all that stuff when I’m home.
What I do like are the Disney specialty shops and stuff specific to Disney World.

Disney Springs seems to be made for locals that may want to do shopping/eating. Maybe it is for out-of-country tourists that want to do some shopping/eating at American-style shops/restaurants that they don't have in their countries.

Really though . .it is no different than any other "tourist destination" shopping center all across the country. Myrtle Beach has a few of these shopping districts with a mix of shops, clubs, restaurants and attractions. (Broadway at the Beach for example).

For the US Disney tourist though it may not that appealing because places like this exist all over the country.

I always liked it for a bit of Disney flavor and a fun place to go for shopping/restaurants on arrival day. Luckily, the Marketplace is still a bit "Disney-fied" and continues to stay that way.

I like to go there (mainly due to Lego Store and World of Disney) on my arrival day and I would like to try some of those new restaurants, but once your vacation starts, it is a bit out of the way to go there.

Mostly I enjoyed the new look of Disney Springs and the flow of traffic and parking garages that were missing from Downtown Disney.

Hello :)
I am from Norway and I must say that I was surprised (in a good way) with the changes at Disney Springs (We had not been there for several years)
Liked the atmosphere and just to see everything... BUT... If we want to do some MAJOR (NON DISNEY) shopping we would go to Orlando Outlets where we can find things that cost maybe 3 or 4 times more in Norway (Norway is VERY EXPENCIVE)
And maybe Florida Mall...

I did find a few nice things at Disney Springs also... and I hope the big Disney Store will be open again when we visit in November.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter