What happened to Disney Springs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RapunzelIsMyFav

Mouseketeer
I can't believe I am writing this but oh my what happened to Disney Springs?!?!? We were here in March and the big Disney Store was almost all closed and under construction so we couldn't wait to see what they had done when we came this week. You know how the store went on FOREVER with treasures all over? Well now it's just one small room and they've sealed off the rest to be new stores I imagine permanently. There is barely any merchandise, same old, nothing at all very interesting. Very few stuffies, costumes, knick knacks, no pin trading....BARE minimum. No princess dresses. The Bipity Boutique is in a far off corner so you miss most of that fun. It was so sad. Little Mismatched was gone (that was SO unique and fun). No more Mr. Potato Head, no more do your own light sabre. It's turned into a boring old outside mall. If I wanted to get some ZARA I'd just pop to the mall (there are already outlet malls all over FL too). Am I the only one super disappointed?! My wallet is very happy, not ONE thing any of us wanted but that's sad.

Last edited:
We were just there last week, the Disney store is still pretty big, we had no problem getting lost in there, and the walled off part is still undergoing renovation, it will open up soon and make the store huge again!

The rest of Springs is a welcome change in my opinion, yes it's a bit of a mall, but it has lots of great restaurants, it has the Void (which is freaking amazing), it has the themed bars which we love, it still had plenty of shopping to be done, ask my bank about that, we went a little nuts.

Matt

It has the Trophy Room and that all that matters to me. I can't wait to go back there on the next trip.
I wish it was there when I lived in Celebration. I would have been there all the time.

I am so happy they are opening it back up!! That looks like a real solid permanent wall so we were convinced. I have no idea how you got lost though as it was just the main room the side part with the kitchen stuff and a small selection of clothes to the other side. The restaurants are very cool but it's the shopping I am talking about. All the UNIQUE, just get it at Disney stores and items are gone. It's better shopping at MK in my humble opinion now but fingers crossed they'll open it back up and restore it to what it was or better. I go with little kids and no sitter so the bars aren't even something I've seen. I will admit it is all the fun kid stuff that we were looking for that was gone. I have 3 kids and they didn't want one thing seriously other than Lego .... normally I am saying no all day long.

Any suggestions for fun and unique kid stuff they have (to replace the potato head, light saber, princess stuff, mismatched... and that kind of fun item?)

I am so happy they are opening it back up!! That looks like a real solid permanent wall so we were convinced. I have no idea how you got lost though as it was just the main room the side part with the kitchen stuff and a small selection of clothes to the other side. The restaurants are very cool but it's the shopping I am talking about. All the UNIQUE, just get it at Disney stores and items are gone. It's better shopping at MK in my humble opinion now but fingers crossed they'll open it back up and restore it to what it was or better. I go with little kids and no sitter so the bars aren't even something I've seen. I will admit it is all the fun kid stuff that we were looking for that was gone. I have 3 kids and they didn't want one thing seriously other than Lego .... normally I am saying no all day long.

Any suggestions for fun and unique kid stuff they have (to replace the potato head, light saber, princess stuff, mismatched... and that kind of fun item?)

While to some degree the merchandise has lost uniqueness, that's true across the property, not just at Springs. As far as fun things, my girlfriend bought half of Disneystyle's bow collection for her interchangeable ears. We got her an awesome castle shaped necklace, I came dangerously close to getting the monorail duffle bag. These are all things we didn't really see elsewhere. My sister got a number of dresses at Cherry Tree Lane, and my other family members got more souvenirs from the Disney store than four passes through the shops at MK.

On top of the shopping, I do seriously heartily recommend the Void, it's an experience unlike any other, it's really very very cool. The restaurants are fantastic, I love Earl of Sandwich, Characters in Flight was a lot of fun when we last did it too. The random concerts and other events going on are great for relaxing and kicking up your feet! All in all, Downtown Disney used to be a "go if we couldn't find souvenirs anywhere else and we really have to" destination for us, but Disney Springs is a must do!

Matt

I agree with you! If I wanted to go to an outdoor mall, I have plenty of other places I could go. I do think the bars and restaurants are nice, but all the regular stores kind of annoy me. I came to Disney for Disney - not to go to regular stores I can go to at home!!

I was there in April, and was SO SO disappointed in the World of Disney store. More disappointed than a grown woman probably should've been ... until I realized it was under refurbishment! :rotfl: In April it was a totally different location, and none of the "new" store was even open. Can't wait to see what's open next week when we're there!

I will say, I thought the Disney Marketplace Co-Op was kind of cool. Had a good flow, and it was nice to walk through different "stores" all in the same building.

We did miss the build your own Mr. Potato Head, though.

You are not the only one disappointed from what I have read. Maybe they found they have more locals than tourists, not sure that is possible, but I would think that is what would sway them to making it more mall like and less Disney like. I don't think we will even take the time to go to Disney Springs this trip.

The new part, where all the mall-chain stores are, is totally skippable. I think the stuff there costs twice as much as the same stuff back home, in the same mall-chain store. As you head towards the old middle section and marketplace, it does get better, IMO. Don't know why they did the giant bland plaster shopping section, making it look like any other outside mall. What happened to the creative Imagineers?

During the construction, there is a temp location beside the Lime Garage elevators that has 2 stories, and the merchandise that is not available at the construction area of World of Disney. Sorry you missed that area.

My wife and I agree to a certain extent. It does seem to have areas of mall shops, but there are other areas that are more unique. It certainly is a pretty area, and the eating is way upscale now. Maybe too many upscale places. Glad they are adding Chicken Guy, and Blaze Pizza is a nice add.

Pity the void seems to be for older kids (DD is 8 so too young to participate and as a family I’d not want to do an attraction we all couldn’t take part in).

I can't believe I am writing this but oh my what happened to Disney Springs?!?!? We were here in March and the big Disney Store was almost all closed and under construction so we couldn't wait to see what they had done when we came this week. You know how the store went on FOREVER with treasures all over? Well now it's just one small room and they've sealed off the rest to be new stores I imagine permanently. There is barely any merchandise, same old, nothing at all very interesting. Very few stuffies, costumes, knick knacks, no pin trading....BARE minimum. No princess dresses. The Bipity Boutique is in a far off corner so you miss most of that fun. It was so sad. Little Mismatched was gone (that was SO unique and fun). No more Mr. Potato Head, no more do your own light sabre. It's turned into a boring old outside mall. If I wanted to get some ZARA I'd just pop to the mall (there are already outlet malls all over FL too). Am I the only one super disappointed?! My wallet is very happy, not ONE thing any of us wanted but that's sad.

If you're talking about the World of Disney store it is still under refurbishment.

My husband and I live only 90 minutes from DS. I am totally disappointed with the NEW area of DS. It is an oversized mall. I prefer the older DS.

It’s always been an oversized mall. As DS and as DTD. I remember walking through Disneyland’s DTD absolutely hating it. There are plenty of malls in the world.

I only go to DS because of Raglan Road, and even that is losing its luster.

Ah yes, who could forget the charm of the Harley Davidson and "don't even think about it, you can't afford it" celebrity autograph stores at Downtown Disney

:duck:

Disney Springs seems to be made for locals that may want to do shopping/eating. Maybe it is for out-of-country tourists that want to do some shopping/eating at American-style shops/restaurants that they don't have in their countries.

Really though . .it is no different than any other "tourist destination" shopping center all across the country. Myrtle Beach has a few of these shopping districts with a mix of shops, clubs, restaurants and attractions. (Broadway at the Beach for example).

For the US Disney tourist though it may not that appealing because places like this exist all over the country.

I always liked it for a bit of Disney flavor and a fun place to go for shopping/restaurants on arrival day. Luckily, the Marketplace is still a bit "Disney-fied" and continues to stay that way.

I like to go there (mainly due to Lego Store and World of Disney) on my arrival day and I would like to try some of those new restaurants, but once your vacation starts, it is a bit out of the way to go there.

Mostly I enjoyed the new look of Disney Springs and the flow of traffic and parking garages that were missing from Downtown Disney.

We always start our Disney stays with a visit to Disney Springs. So many massive changes during the past few years and I’m sure more to come. Much prefer the area around the Marketplace, we usually have dinner at Wolfgang Pucks then wander along. We always have fun discussing “what used to be where” especially with the old Pleasure Island and some of the shops. I miss how the kitchen shop in the Marketplace used to be, I often picked up gadgets, mugs, etc. that were more unique to this shop. Now you pretty much see the same merchandise at all of the Disney shops, including the resort gift shops.

Jock Lindsay Hangar Bar is fun. But I like Indiana Jones, so I'm super biased (and will go back there every time if I have someone to watch my kiddo).

Before saying anything else I have to add that we went later in the evening when we went but that being said my 17 year old has said she will never go there again. The WoD store was a joke with almost nothing to buy (we were there in early June) and the number of openly drunk people was surprising. I love Morimoto and Raglan Road so I am talking to her about going at lunchtime and reminding her that the store will be rebuilt someday. We used to stay at Riverside or FQ for the boat to DS. Guess I will listen to the girls and just stay deluxe from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter