What Do You Want Done With Your Body After You Die?

Honestly, I had never thought much about it. I'm in my mid-30's and although I would like to think I will live forever, I do need to consider it. I've written all acct information for DH but never considered writing my wishes or what my actual wishes were. My family has always been buried. It's a standard, 2 day viewing (always 3-5 and 7-9) followed by a church funeral.
I recently had a relative pass that was like a 2nd mother to me. She had no children so for the first time I found myself planning a funeral and she wanted to be cremated. Although her ashes have been spread per her wishes, I did keep a small amount. She was very special to me and having something physical like that is important to me. It is also very important to my DS8. He misses her immensely and likes knowing she is with us. Unfortunately her husband of 40+ years has dementia so carrying out her wishes and possession of the remains were left to me. She has made me really think about bucking the trend of the traditional funeral in my family.
I love the idea of a family trip instead of an expensive funeral. If something were to happen to me while my kids are young, I don't care if DH puts me in the freezer, I just want him to use every penny to take care of our boys. If all goes as planned and I live to a ripe old age, I love the idea of being cremated and having my ashes mixed with DH once we are both gone. I would like us together to have just a little sprinkling in the mountains of Western Maryland, the Atlantic Ocean and Oriole Park at Camden Yards. Our boys can do whatever they want with the rest or spread us out completely in all 3 spaces. Now I am kind of anxious to discuss this with DH and put some thoughts on paper.

Putting ashes in envelopes and having them as a parting gift is so weird.

Hey, I wonder if it was my moms arm or left butt cheek that ended up in Phoenix when Joe and Sara dumped her out..weird, I tell ya.

Cremated. I know I want some of my ashes in Disney. I don't know where else. My kids can keep some if they want.

The thought of being in a cemetery for hundreds of years never being visited or taken care of weirds me out. I go to a friends graveside twice a year when the family goes for his bday and death anniversary. I see so many headstones from 50+ years ago. I know they aren't being visited. It just creeps me out.

I would like to be in a mausoleum since I am severely claustrophobic about being put in the dirt. DM wanted to have DB's funeral entirely at the gravesite. That didn't work well for me so it was changed to a service then go to the gravesite. DM is buried right beside DB. They have matching caskets in different colors, his is blue and hers is pink. DDad wanted to donate his body to science since he had such odd health issues and he wanted to be able to help others. They kept his body for a little while then mailed his ashes back in a postal service box. It didn't even say ashes, cremains or anything like that. No way of knowing what we had until it was opened. What a surprise! Anyway, in GA, you can go to the cemetery and bury ashes by yourself without having a professional do that as long as you own the plot. My parents had bought plots when DB died so it was already there. All three are there together.

@Pea-n-Me - OT but I never realized you had an actual pet named Snowy! I thought it was a take on Snowflake! Haha (And now I can't find the post that referenced this!)

I had a beautiful Westie name Snowy. I told a story about her in the ghost thread. She died way too young of cancer. She fits this thread too as we have her ashes near the front door. She liked to bark at the mail carrier and the trash trucks.

@Pea-n-Me - OT but I never realized you had an actual pet named Snowy! I thought it was a take on Snowflake! Haha (And now I can't find the post that referenced this!)

I had a beautiful Westie name Snowy. I told a story about her in the ghost thread. She died way too young of cancer. She fits this thread too as we have her ashes near the front door. She liked to bark at the mail carrier and the trash trucks.
Ah, ok - I knew I saw it somewhere! A Westie! Makes total sense now. So sorry for her loss. :hug:

I think that's incredibly kind and selfless for you to do for your children. I would be curious to see how they feel about it themselves. Nice job, Dad. :flower3: I'm sure your children will thank you some day for your putting them first with this issue and making it happen for their mother, for them. Otherwise, it could get pretty complicated. We had a situation in our family a few years back with an aunt that passed. We were not sure what her wishes were when she passed rather suddenly and unexpectedly. Our choices were to bury her alone in a public cemetery, or to cremate her and request special permission for her ashes be interred at the family plot - which was already over-full (and a full casket was not an option there, but an urn of ashes would be). We hemmed and hawed over it and decided it was probably more important for her to be with her family than it was to not be cremated. We hoped we'd made the right decision. Later, when we were able to legally access her papers, we found a note that she'd written to my mother saying she wanted to be cremated. Phew. It's a good idea to let our loved ones know what our wishes are, even though it's not exactly a subject most of us want to think about.
Thank you, but, I don't want to sound like some hero. I really don't care if she is buried there or not. I do care about how much it will cost my girls and their families to start from scratch for placement.

It is somewhat difficult to think about, but, after I saw what problems they had, even before she passed away, trying to figure out what she might have wanted, it motivated me to make plans for myself. So the beginning of last year I spend about three months touring cemetery's, mortuaries, doing living wills, and legal stuff giving them joint powers to determine what should happen to my remains or medical decisions. Buying the lot, compiling the information and contacts for the headstone, supplied by the VA and countless other details. Not exactly like a trip to WDW. But, it is done now, they know what I want and there is no question unless some oddity crops up, but, we have discussed the topic enough for them to make a decision concerning what they think I might want to happen. Happily they didn't seem to be in any hurry to deal with it, so I got that going for me. :)

Cremated, ashes scattered. Not 100% sure where, if I were to go today I would say Snowshoe them to hollyburn lodge and sprinkle me on the way.

Cremated and ashes spread in any peaceful spot. I'll have kissed this world goodbye and hope my loved ones will have good memories and move forward living life fully- no need to visit me at a burial spot because I won't be there

I want to donate my body to science…I'll have no use for it, so maybe it can be utilized for something purposeful!

I'm planning to do the same, and coincidentally, doing the research on how to arrange this is on my to-do list this week. When my "cremains" are returned to my family, my DD#1 has promised to try to get my ashes mixed in with the Diamond Dust they sprinkle on the pitchers' mound at Camden Yards at Oriole Park when it rains. It's a possibility, because my DD#2 worked as the receptionist and and my sister worked for years as the Office Manager for the Bowie Baysox, the Orioles' AA team, and they know people. Not a doubt in my mind that if they can't get permission, they'll know someone who'll do it surreptitiously.

Queen Colleen

This one may seem weird. My wife left me 18 years ago. We were like strangers after that although we did see each other at family celebrations with our daughters and grandkids until this past September when she passed away. I plan on being cremated and have left instructions for that to happen. I also purchased a military burial plot in a local cemetery this past year for that purpose. Now the weird part. My ex-wifes ashes are currently at one of my daughters house. She died broke and the burden of a burial location for her would fall to them. Since both of us, she already, and my plan will be to be cremated, there is plenty of room in my plot for both of us. Since we will both be dead at that time I see no real conflict with it, I have offered my daughters the option of putting her remains in my plot and for me to join up later. (hopefully much later) It will save them a lot of money and also make visiting the site easier for my girls. I know of no one that has ever done anything like that especially after they had been divorced for two decades, but, we did have 29 years together, raised a family and struggled through hard times together and to me it just seems right. Neither of us has remarried and I have no inclination to pursue any further relationships. Since neither of us remarried even the Government considers me to be a widower and no longer a divorcee.

Can anyone give me some reasons why that might be beyond weird and just shouldn't happen?

I don't think it's weird either; I think it is extremely thoughtful of you to take into consideration your children's and grandchildren's circumstances and feelings in this situation. You obviously didn't harbor any ill will toward you ex-wife (or you didn't display it), since you met up (I assume civilly) at family occasions. I don't know what your religious beliefs are, but mine are that I'm going to Heaven and I'll see all my loved ones there. But it's also my understanding that everything that took place on earth will be forgotten and my future thoughts and deeds wlll be Heaven-focused.

You seem like a good man; I hope your family appreciates you.

Queen Colleen

I hope to have my body or cremains buried where I will look forward to the resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come.

My husband, and I are to be buried in my family's plot following cremation. His family do not have plots. My parents are buried there, they have a standing headstone, ours will be smaller ones laid flat in the ground.

Donate what can, and then a viking funeral

Modified so it doesn't include things like human sacrifice, but put me in a boat, push it out to sea, and light it on fire.

I'm not a showy person, don't like open bodies of water, and the idea of burning to death terrifies me, but I've always loved the idea of viking funerals

I want to donate my body to a medical school and then have it cremated. My original plan was to be shot out of a cannon but I don't know if that's possible. My backup plans were buried under a tree or scattered at the mountains.

I love the fireworks idea though. Every year one of the things we look forward to most is our Diwali party. Lots of great food, fun times with family and friends and to top it off, fireworks in the backyard.

Just as long as it's not a replay of the Married With Children urn episode I'll be fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter