What do you think about picking teams in gym class?

I will assume that this OP's daughter came home and they talked about this, and the OP did a quick search. An old thread doesn't have to be a dead/meaniangless thread.

As for me, I have absolutely no respect for the argument that school should be made personally and emotionally harder, on children... because maybe one day, out in the real world. I find that argument ridiculous. Every child should not be assumed to be equipped to handle 'the real world' that adults can face. This is PE in school, not even a school competitive athletics team. I find no excuse or justification for what I agree many could call 'public shaming' in a government mandated curriculum. Not in academics such as math, science, etc... and PE, either.

I guess it wouldnt hurt to have the teacher pick teams, we have enough things in place at school to lets kids know there not popular. I love and hate Zombie threads, I look thru every post to read names of people that I use to "know" but then its also a little sad

The world is mean enough without having to endure humiliation in gym class. I was the fat kid picked last. Could have lived without that life lesson thank you very much.

So what's worse? Being picked last, or have the wide open layup (with all the other kids still on the other end of the court) and missing it (three times before a defender got back)? Dropping an easy fly ball? Striking out in slow pitch softball? Taking a volleyball to the face? Yes, this happens in other classes... The teacher says "pair up" (or groups of three or four or whatever) and next thing you know there's someone without a group.

Sorry, don't have a problem with picking teams. And yes, I have three kids ranging from middle school age to college.

They still do schoolyard picks on tv shows like Master Chef Junior. Doesn't seem like the concept has lost steam.

I was always picked last. ALWAYS.

So what's worse? Being picked last, or have the wide open layup (with all the other kids still on the other end of the court) and missing it (three times before a defender got back)? Dropping an easy fly ball? Striking out in slow pitch softball? Taking a volleyball to the face? Yes, this happens in other classes... The teacher says "pair up" (or groups of three or four or whatever) and next thing you know there's someone without a group.

Sorry, don't have a problem with picking teams. And yes, I have three kids ranging from middle school age to college.

Yup, agree. I have zero issue with picking teams. It's done all the time in all different walks of life. Why should PE be any different? To me, the thought of "we can't pick teams because someone will get upset or feel left out" goes down the slippery slope of participation trophy mentality, which I am definitely not a fan.

I don't really have a problem with it in middle school or high school.
The focus is on the feelings of those picked last, but IMO learning how to organize a winning team is an important skill. It goes far beyond the field or the court and is actually something that can bring you success later in life. Kids can recognize who can help them win and there is nothing wrong with that IMO.

ETA that goes for physical, or intellectual picking teams/groups.

There is a degree of team-picking in our middle school, but the teacher will watch and once it gets down to the last 4 or so, he/she will step in and just say - you two over there, you two over here. That way nobody is "last". The last 4 still pretty much know they are last, but at least they are last together, which is a heck of a lot easier than being the last kid picked and the captain saying "I guess we get Bobby" with a disgusted look on his face.

There is a degree of team-picking in our middle school, but the teacher will watch and once it gets down to the last 4 or so, he/she will step in and just say - you two over there, you two over here. That way nobody is "last". The last 4 still pretty much know they are last, but at least they are last together, which is a heck of a lot easier than being the last kid picked and the captain saying "I guess we get Bobby" with a disgusted look on his face.

Yeah, I've seen that too. However I'd argue that doing this is actually worse than just letting the process play out. Now instead of one kid who is last, you've got 4 who are going to have that "last kid picked" feeling. IMO, either pick the teams all the way through (the method I'd support) or have the teacher pick the entire team from the start.

Were these things that happened in PE or while playing a team sport?

When I was in junior high, I had PE with the junior high girls basketball team. The teacher used the class for extra practice. She was a great coach but a horrible PE teacher. She didn't like anyone who wasn't athletic. And I wasn't. The teams were picked by the two top basketball players and of course they both picked all the players first and then it would be down to us 3 or 4 that weren't players. And from there it was a blood bath. Any speck of self esteem any of us had was ripped from us daily in PE. Now? I would tell them exactly what I thought of them and the horse they rode in on but back then? I was 12 or 13, shy and out of place in the school I was in any way. That's just not good for a girl that age. I got over it, yes. But I had a strong family and people to build me up. Not everyone does.

And as I read back over the replies from years ago, I remember that little 2nd grade girl that came back to class with tears streaming down her face. That is no way to get a kid through a day of school. You have to remember in a public school there are kids who go through a great deal in their home life. Some that never have anyone tell them they are good at something or worthwhile. Why on God's earth do we want to pretend that making them think they aren't even worth putting on a stupid volleyball team is a good thing?

Were these things that happened in PE or while playing a team sport?
Well, since we've talking about PE classes, I figured I'd use examples from PE class. My point is even if a non-athletic kid got to be captain (or picked first), their lack of skill while participating in the game has to be at least as embarrassing if not more so than when they actually got picked.

And again, should teachers not bring up kids to do a problem on the blackboard because they might fail? Science teachers shouldn't tell kids to find their own groups for a project? Saying this doesn't happen in other classes is BS. Maybe not as much, but it does happen.

Well, since we've talking about PE classes, I figured I'd use examples from PE class. My point is even if a non-athletic kid got to be captain (or picked first), their lack of skill while participating in the game has to be at least as embarrassing if not more so than when they actually got picked.

And again, should teachers not bring up kids to do a problem on the blackboard because they might fail? Science teachers shouldn't tell kids to find their own groups for a project? Saying this doesn't happen in other classes is BS. Maybe not as much, but it does happen.

Being called on to go to the board isn't done as much in our schools anymore. They have the technology to allow the students to do the work from their desk. BUT, the teacher is there to help the student if they don't know how to do the problem. Does the PE teacher help out if the kid doesn't get picked? Different.

Not being skilled at a sport isn't necessarily the same thing. Being picked for a team in PE is more often than not, a popularity contest. If you haven't been in that situation, its hard to understand, I realize. But for some kids, its just the fact of "I am in the group", doesn't matter their pecking order or their skills, they just want to be "in the group".

Science teachers, more often than not, assign the groups for projects because they want a strong student with a weaker one. But in case they don't, one group isn't standing at the front of the classroom as they are chosen by the top science students. They say "find a group" and everyone mills around looking for a group or a partner. Not the same.

Being called on to go to the board isn't done as much in our schools anymore. They have the technology to allow the students to do the work from their desk. BUT, the teacher is there to help the student if they don't know how to do the problem. Does the PE teacher help out if the kid doesn't get picked? Different.
Our schools don't have that technology. My point was kids failing at the skill they are asked to, and in front of everyone.
Not being skilled at a sport isn't necessarily the same thing. Being picked for a team in PE is more often than not, a popularity contest. If you haven't been in that situation, its hard to understand, I realize. But for some kids, its just the fact of "I am in the group", doesn't matter their pecking order or their skills, they just want to be "in the group".
Maybe in the extreme younger ages. But by the time they hit middle school, I think the "captains" are looking for who can help them win. And who said I've never been in that position?

Science teachers, more often than not, assign the groups for projects because they want a strong student with a weaker one. But in case they don't, one group isn't standing at the front of the classroom as they are chosen by the top science students. They say "find a group" and everyone mills around looking for a group or a partner. Not the same.
I'm glad you know how things work everywhere. I'm guessing kids do know who has a hard time finding a group.

I don't really have a problem with it in middle school or high school.
The focus is on the feelings of those picked last, but IMO learning how to organize a winning team is an important skill. It goes far beyond the field or the court and is actually something that can bring you success later in life. Kids can recognize who can help them win and there is nothing wrong with that IMO.

ETA that goes for physical, or intellectual picking teams/groups.

Unfortunately nobody learns how to put together a winning team by doing so in school. Most of the time the kids simply pick their friends. Sure they may look for who they think are the better players first, but nobody looks for role players or diamonds in the rough among the less athletically inclined.

Our schools don't have that technology. My point was kids failing at the skill they are asked to, and in front of everyone.
Maybe in the extreme younger ages. But by the time they hit middle school, I think the "captains" are looking for who can help them win. And who said I've never been in that position?

I'm glad you know how things work everywhere. I'm guessing kids do know who has a hard time finding a group.

And you do? Science teacher, English teachers, etc are encouraged (HERE) to put groups together so that a weaker student may be helped by a stronger student. Were you picked for a Science group by standing at the front of the class and being chosen by the top students? I highly doubt it . You still aren't getting it from the eyes of a kid. They realize everyone KNOWS they aren't popular or good at whatever or whatever. They just don't want it shined on in the middle of the school day.

And have you ever been around a group (like classroom full) of middle schoolers? Its is ALL about being popular. High schoolers are more competitive. Middle schoolers are worried about being liked. All of them? No. But most.

They realize everyone KNOWS they aren't popular or good at whatever or whatever. They just don't want it shined on in the middle of the school day.
And here's what you're not getting... it doesn't matter WHEN they're picked... that light is going to shine on them as soon as they spectacularly fail at whatever task (physical or mental).

And here's what you're not getting... it doesn't matter WHEN they're picked... that light is going to shine on them as soon as they spectacularly fail at whatever task (physical or mental).

No. Its not the same. It is not about failing or succeeding at the task. For a middle school kid or younger its about "no one likes me" The activity ahead does not matter. The not getting picked matters.

Still see absolutely no valid argument or justifications for letting the students be singled out to pick team members.
Just the same old flawed and false arguments. Over and over.

Letting kids pick teams is no different than putting the cat in charge of the mice.
Or handing the so called popular kids / bullies a platform.
Funny, I was never the one that was asked to pick the team members.

True athletic teams should be decided upon ability.
Nobody is forced to show up and try out.
Coaches are the ones that decide who makes it.

Mandatory PE... This is just not appropriate.

OKW8297 and LuvsJack nailed it.

Last edited:

Wow....
Really???
:sad1:

Not being athletically inclined is a spectacular failure...
There are NO words.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter