What do you tell cast members??

But the OP never once mentioned gift shops, they just said that they were asked if they were members at Aulani. I've only stayed a few times but it gets asked often! Most commonly when wandering around the pool or in the circumstances previously mentioned.
The second sentence of the second paragraph of the very first post literally says: "Fully aware that we don’t have discounts and don’t feel comfortable putting CMs in that position", so if you want to keep up with this ridiculous argument that we're NOT talking about discounts, knock yourself out.

The second sentence of the second paragraph of the very first post literally says: "Fully aware that we don’t have discounts and don’t feel comfortable putting CMs in that position", so if you want to keep up with this ridiculous argument that we're NOT talking about discounts, knock yourself out.

Aren't you agreeing with me? The OP stated that they are fully aware that if they are asked if they are entitled to discounts the answer is no, but wanted to know what you should say if they are asked if they are DVC members. Are resale buyers DVC members? Yes! Despite many of the comments on this thread, they are DVC members.

They had a perfectly good system for this (Blue Cards) and have one now that is digital. If that's what they are asking for, they should ask for that.

It's not my job to train Disney employees on a discount the computer gives me anyway.

Aren't you agreeing with me? The OP stated that they are fully aware that if they are asked if they are entitled to discounts the answer is no, but wanted to know what you should say if they are asked if they are DVC members. Are resale buyers DVC members? Yes! Despite many of the comments on this thread, they are DVC members.
This is beyond ridiculous. The OP is saying they are aware that they are not eligible for discounts, but is curious as to what to say if a CM asks them without being specific: should they answer that they are resale or leave it to the CM to figure it out. The whole context of the question is with regard to discounts (and what to do if the CM doesn't ask specifically).

The paragraph reads:

"What do you tell cast members when they ask you if you are dvc members? Fully aware that we don’t have discounts and don’t feel comfortable putting CMs in that position, but also feel like service is a tad bit better and am proud of our new membership."

Given that all of the sentences in a paragraph deal with a single point or theme, then it's patently obvious that the OP is asking about discounts. Curiously, what the OP DOESN'T mention is parking, or pool wrist bands, or membership presentations.The one and only thing they DO mention is discounts, knowing they aren't eligible for them, and concern about putting CM's in an uncomfortable position (of having to ask further questions regarding elegibility). The ONLY reason the OP mentions discounts is because THAT is the context within which they are asking for advice.

And with that, I'm done.

Last edited:
They had a perfectly good system for this (Blue Cards) and have one now that is digital. If that's what they are asking for, they should ask for that.

It's not my job to train Disney employees on a discount the computer gives me anyway.
Well said. With all of the technology available, and an imagineering department to boot, can't somebody think of a way to attach this to a magic band? I've never been asked this question, always have to ask for the discount, prove my membership AND show photo I.D. Seriously? I get a seniors discount at the drug store just by asking. Sometimes they give it to me without asking. That may not be a compliment, I know. :rotfl:

If they ask me if I’m a DVC member I answer honestly and say yes, however I don’t get asked that often. Usually they ask if I get a DVC discount, which I also answer honestly by saying no.

For my first stay as a DVC member at AKV. I was eating at Sanna and they waitress asked how my trip was going. I mentioned that I was there on my first DVC stay. I didn’t even mention anything about a discount, as I know I don’t get one… but when she brought me my check she had applied a DVC discount. They also upgraded me to a 2 bed vila on that stay without me asking… all and all. It was a great first experience as a DVC member at AKV… now I’m getting a VGC contract and am super excited to be able to stay there.

To me the answer is pretty straightforward.

If a CM ask if you are a DVC member. Then answer YES.

That’s the truth.

It’s up to them to figure out if you are eligible or not for any discounts.
Bingo that’s the answer. You are a DVC member.

This is beyond ridiculous. The OP is saying they are aware that they are not eligible for discounts, but is curious as to what to say if a CM asks them without being specific: should they answer that they are resale or leave it to the CM to figure it out. The whole context of the question is with regard to discounts (and what to do if the CM doesn't ask specifically).

The paragraph reads:

"What do you tell cast members when they ask you if you are dvc members? Fully aware that we don’t have discounts and don’t feel comfortable putting CMs in that position, but also feel like service is a tad bit better and am proud of our new membership."

Given that all of the sentences in a paragraph deal with a single point or theme, then it's patently obvious that the OP is asking about discounts. Curiously, what the OP DOESN'T mention is parking, or pool wrist bands, or membership presentations.The one and only thing they DO mention is discounts, knowing they aren't eligible for them, and concern about putting CM's in an uncomfortable position (of having to ask further questions regarding elegibility). The ONLY reason the OP mentions discounts is because THAT is the context within which they are asking for advice.

And with that, I'm done.

To clarify, I was not asking in regards to back door my way to discounts. When asked at Kalepas store by CM I knew what they were getting at and I responded I was not a member. But I can see how it could be interpreted that way based off responses to this thread.

My intent was more in reference to the experiences with cast members. Like we were asked at the beginning of our character breakfast if we were dvc and I just wanted to emphatically answer yes and talk about what a wonderful time we were having and if she had any insider tips for newbies. My daughter also got the Moana makeover and I was asked again by her stylist. In both of those scenarios, I’m not expecting a discount but being able to answer yes would be an easy way to communicate that we will be repeat customers and validate my awkward, excited energy of being part of this cool kids “club”

In hindsight, I think it’s as simple as responding “yes but I’m a resale member so not eligible for discounts” when I really want to nerd out. I was more taken aback at how many times I was asked and how many CMs at Aulani didn’t seem to know about resale. My theory is that because aulani doesn’t have APs/Tables in Wonderland/Disney Visa specials like WDW, Aulani CMs questions are a little more binary. Anyways I wasted everyone’s time enough. Hope your all enjoying your 2023!

The paragraph reads:

And with that, I'm done.
It sounds to me like they think the service is better, which is what they said.

facebook twitter