What do you tell cast members??

If you don't qualify for the discount it's immorale to use it.

LOL. I don't go out of my way to trick people, it's not my fault they can't keep up 16 versions of DVC points. It's true. I am a DVC member. They have their technology strapped to my wrist, seems like that would be an easy solution to all of these hoops.

For what it matters, it auto populates on the mobile checkout buying merchandise.

"First, your Membership Extras was not part of our negotiations nor our agreement so I must do nothing. And secondly, you must be a DVC Member for the DVC code to apply and you're not. And thirdly, the code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules. Welcome to DVC, Miss Turner!"

We are blue card owners many times over and I agree it’s on Disney. If CM want to give you the discount even though you’re only white card, take it. It’s not fair to put customers in the position of feeling less than or explaining the system to the staff. Total joke. It should be a barCode that can be zapped if Disney wants to get professional.
This is exactly how Disneyland Magic Key works. In order to get my discount they have to scan my barcode off my phone, for meals and shopping, etc. Now DVC discount though is just like at WDW where they may just visually verify it. Having to pull up my WDW magicmobile card at Disneyland is weird to me. Hopefully they'll fix all of this when DVC becomes a bigger deal on the West Coast.

When the CM is taking our order, many times - not always - we are asked if we are using any discounts.

Sometimes I have volunteered the information before they might have or might have not asked and I will ask something like, "any discounts? I have DVC, Disney Visa, AP, AAA and TIW (when we had it) and so on.

When we are not asked and forget to mention it - I have noticed they print out receipt & then have to go back and re-do receipt with the discount and some places using a different device to charge the order. This makes me think why it's best for everyone to ask or volunteer the information so it's not double work/wasting time.

Just like when we used TIW (and Tip was included), I hope the discount did not affect our service or food.

There have also been times when I am getting my card/now phone out and the CM says, "it's fine", I got it", "I trust you", etc.

I don't recall if I have been asked specifically if we have a DVC discount.

Last edited:
I’m resale and as @RoseGold posted above the discount has always applied automatically for me in mobile checkout. Show your DVC affiliation and it’s up to the CM to decide whether or not to give it to you. More often than not they apply the discount.

At Aulani I was also asked if I was a member. The only time anything further was mentioned was waiting to enter the member celebration. When I was asked where I owned and how long the CM said "You must have bought resale then". (This was a few years ago when some resorts were harder to get direct).

I've been to Aulani a couple of times and very much get the feeling that they want the other visitors to see happy, excited DVC members!

I do own some direct points, but even if I didn't I would still answer yes to the question of being a member. I would be honest if questioned about blue card or discounts, but I wouldn't expect resale only members to lie about being members in case they accidentally get a discount.

I do own some direct points, but even if I didn't I would still answer yes to the question of being a member. I would be honest if questioned about blue card or discounts, but I wouldn't expect resale only members to lie about being members in case they accidentally get a discount.
And it's even more complicated than that, because there is grandfathered resale. They created this structure, and then made a really daft way to enforce it.

Maybe its just me, but why say you are resale unless they ask?

Thats essentially the questions when they ask they just dont know it.

I am not going to try and pull a fast one. Well now I have direct points but when I didn't that was my position.

Failure to educate your staff, utilize your existing IT infrastructure, and develop and market simple-to-understand perks and discounts is not the member's fault. I am direct, but short of a resale member lying or forging documents I don't blame them for providing honest answers to the question that was asked. The answer to "are you a DVC member" is yes. The answer to do you qualify for any discounts is no if you don't.

Tell them whatever you want, but regardless of the words they use in asking, you know exactly what they are trying to get at.
Do what you want, but you know what is being asked.

Tell them whatever you want, but regardless of the words they use in asking, you know exactly what they are trying to get at.
Do what you want, but you know what is being asked.

Yes, what is being asked is 'are you a DVC member?'. The answer to which is yes, regardless of the points being direct or not. If they want to know if we are entitled to discounts then they can ask this rather than try to get at something by asking a different question!

The OP, and other people on this thread including myself, have all said we have been asked this at Aulani. Some of the reasons they ask this are to give you a parking slip for the car so you are not charged (unrelated to direct or resale), to give you a sparkly pool wristband (I think this is also for both direct and resale), to know whether to start a sales pitch or offer a villa tour (also unrelated to direct or resale), and so that they can allow other visitors to see happy DVC members being welcomed home!

I'm not going to try second guessing a simple question, or pretend I'm not a member because they're secretly asking something else.

Say yes, as you are DVC Members and then if they ask if you are eligible for the discounts, tell them no.

Some of the reasons they ask this are to give you a parking slip for the car so you are not charged (unrelated to direct or resale), to give you a sparkly pool wristband (I think this is also for both direct and resale), to know whether to start a sales pitch or offer a villa tour (also unrelated to direct or resale), and so that they can allow other visitors to see happy DVC members being welcomed home!

I'm not going to try second guessing a simple question, or pretend I'm not a member because they're secretly asking something else.
I'm guessing that if they pose the question at the gift shop POS, they're likely not concerned about your parking spot or entrance to the pool, or gearing up to pitch you on a membership...but ok.

In my experience at the resorts, nearly every castmember asked me to pull up my DVC information in my mobile wallet. It was 50/50 at the parks whether or not they wanted to see it.

Yes, what is being asked is 'are you a DVC member?'. The answer to which is yes, regardless of the points being direct or not. If they want to know if we are entitled to discounts then they can ask this rather than try to get at something by asking a different question!

The OP, and other people on this thread including myself, have all said we have been asked this at Aulani. Some of the reasons they ask this are to give you a parking slip for the car so you are not charged (unrelated to direct or resale), to give you a sparkly pool wristband (I think this is also for both direct and resale), to know whether to start a sales pitch or offer a villa tour (also unrelated to direct or resale), and so that they can allow other visitors to see happy DVC members being welcomed home!

That's really disingenuous. You know very well when they are asking for the purpose of applying a discount and are doing some mental gymnastics here and "playing dumb" in order to rationalize your way out of feeling guilty for the misreprentation. Just as @Maistre Gracey said, do what you want, but you know exactly what they are trying to get at.

Okay, whatever you want to say. I honestly do not care.
My point is that everyone here knows what they are really asking.
It’s not rocket science.

New resale member and just had our first wonderful experience at Aulani with a trip planned at the Grand Cal in July. Loving the experience so far!!

What do you tell cast members when they ask you if you are dvc members? Fully aware that we don’t have discounts and don’t feel comfortable putting CMs in that position, but also feel like service is a tad bit better and am proud of our new membership. Seemed like resale was a foreign concept to the CMs I talked to here.

I'm not in any way trying to con people into giving unwarranted discounts here, but I'm going back to the original post. As I have said (more than once) I was also asked if I was a member at Aulani. They actually wanted to know if I was a DVC member (for many of the reasons mentioned above).

The question was not 'what do you tell cast member if they ask if you're eligible for discounts', it was about being asked if you are a member at Aulani. I was never asked at Aulani in a circumstance where being direct would have changed anything!

I'm guessing that if they pose the question at the gift shop POS, they're likely not concerned about your parking spot or entrance to the pool, or gearing up to pitch you on a membership...but ok.

But the OP never once mentioned gift shops, they just said that they were asked if they were members at Aulani. I've only stayed a few times but it gets asked often! Most commonly when wandering around the pool or in the circumstances previously mentioned.
That's really disingenuous. You know very well when they are asking for the purpose of applying a discount and are doing some mental gymnastics here and "playing dumb" in order to rationalize your way out of feeling guilty for the misreprentation. Just as @Maistre Gracey said, do what you want, but you know exactly what they are trying to get at.

Yet again, no one mentioned discounts, or playing dumb, or mental gymnastics. In fact, those of us answering honestly are avoiding that! We don't want to play your games. Are you DVC member, yes or no? Are you entitled to discounts, yes or no? It seems the first question is asked often at Aulani, the second at WDW. I'm not going to lie to either, and neither should I, or anyone else feel guilty about being honest! I've already stated that I own direct, so I'm not sure what you want me to feel guilty about, but are you honestly suggesting that resale only purchasers must now deny being members in case CMs accidentally treat them better?
Okay, whatever you want to say. I honestly do not care.
My point is that everyone here knows what they are really asking.
It’s not rocket science.

Yes, we do. Are you a DVC member? :-)

facebook twitter