What do you tell cast members??

I got back earlier this week and utilized mobile check out in the shops as the lines were always long. When doing this, the DVC discount automatically applied based on the memberships on my app. I am also a new resal member as of this year.

I got back earlier this week and utilized mobile check out in the shops as the lines were always long. When doing this, the DVC discount automatically applied based on the memberships on my app. I am also a new resal member as of this year.
Yeah we figured this out when we went, I was very surprised. We ended up getting Christmas gifts and bought whatever family wanted to buy. Think we ended up saving around $300, between 20% and 30% off

Same here. Sometimes I'll ask do you give DVC discount, and they respond in kind. Most of the time we're not even asked for proof. Boy do I mis Tables In Wonderland.

Like others, at WDW and DL we're just asked if we have any discounts.

However, at Aulani we were specifically asked if we were DVC when checking out.

On DCL we had to ask for the discount, no one ever asked.

You are DVC member! The answer is yes!

I've developed the habit of saying "I'm DVC" every time I start a transaction ... after a few times of looking at receipts with no discount, re-ringing etc... plus sometimes you never know if the place has them or not ... ( e.g. some restaurants etc... )

Have fun!!

I've often wondered about this when DVC went to the white card because when we joined DVC the eateries would just give me the discount without asking. The discount was always only for 1 person, which I never understood. Back then we had the TIW card so they'd always have to get the manager to take one discount off and put the other on. Now we hardly ever get the discount because alcohol isn't discounted and usually our food portion is an appetizer and for $3 it's not worth the hassle.

We are blue card owners many times over and I agree it’s on Disney. If CM want to give you the discount even though you’re only white card, take it. It’s not fair to put customers in the position of feeling less than or explaining the system to the staff. Total joke. It should be a barCode that can be zapped if Disney wants to get professional.

We are blue card owners many times over and I agree it’s on Disney. If CM want to give you the discount even though you’re only white card, take it. It’s not fair to put customers in the position of feeling less than or explaining the system to the staff. Total joke. It should be a barCode that can be zapped if Disney wants to get professional.

I think it may be why some of the CMs now ask if you have any discounts and not are you DVC.

I am going again in a week and I’ll pay close attention to what is said to see if it similar to my experience in December.

But, I agree that CMs are the ones who ultimately make the decision on how to handle the application of discounts

I'm trying to understand DVC direct sale members vs DVC resale members... so are you a DVC member if you by resale or not?

I'm trying to understand DVC direct sale members vs DVC resale members... so are you a DVC member if you by resale or not?

Everyone who owns DVC (resale or direct) is a "DVC Member." But in order to qualify for "membership extras" like AP/merchandise/dining discounts, lounge access, moonlight magic, etc. you need to have purchased a certain number of points directly from Disney according to the threshold in place at that time. This is known colloquially as being a "blue card holder." If you bought resale and did not meet this requirement, you are not eligible for these membership extras, and this is colloquially referred to as being a "white card holder."

The majority of this thread is about white card holders receiving or hoping to receive (whether through a mistake, the kindness of a CM, or through obfuscation) some of these discounts, despite not technically being eligible for them. The consensus seems to be that it's on the CM to confirm whether you're eligible, and that there is no need to volunteer that you are not, letting them make the mistake and give you the discount anyway, since they didn't check. Some disagree and feel that is dishonest.

To get a little more in the weeds:
If you were eligible at some point and the goal posts moved, you have been grandfathered in. Some early resale-only owners bought before the threshold existed (pre 2016 I believe) and so are eligible for membership extras despite never having bought directly from Disney.
If you bought between 2016-2018, any direct purchase amount would qualify for membership extras.
In 2018 the minimum became 75 points
In 2019 it was changed to 100 points
In 2020 it was changed to 125 points
In 2021 it was changed to 150 points which is where it stands now.

Note: the "blue card" and "white card" aren't figurative or anything. There used to be physical cards that were blue or white. It's all digital now, but the reference remains.

Last edited:

It should be tied to your Magic Band - and if necessary, your magic band should include a photo ID so there isn't "here, use my MB to get the discounts." If you pay with the Magic Band, discounts on the MB get automatically applied - annual PH, DVC, whatever. You shouldn't need to have a digital card on your phone. That isn't even hard to pull off software wise.

However, I suspect the current case is Disney estimates far more people who are entitled to discounts don't bother to use them than people who are not entitled to discounts get them. Therefore, any automation in this regard would cost Disney revenue.

The majority of this thread is about white card holders receiving or hoping to receive (whether through a mistake, the kindness of a CM, or through obfuscation) some of these discounts, despite not technically being eligible for them.
Obfuscation and skulduggery!

I’m resale. I answer “no” if asked, because I know they’re asking if I qualify for the DVC discount, and I don’t. I’m painfully honest.

I bought a DVC member mug at a resort gift shop and they applied the discount to my whole order without even asking. 🤷‍♀️

facebook twitter