What’s your favorite British slang word?

In the film Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton referred to their imaginary son as a “little bugger” even though they’re portraying a US college professor and his wife.
I don't think it's an uncommon usage in the US.

My avatar over there, Bridget Jones always had one that I loved, although I can't write it out here. Starts with F-, ends with -wit. A great all around word for a variety of idiot people I encounter in daily life.

After watching The Banshees of Inisherin, I've come to love "feck." It's a nice compromise between the American "frig" and the traditional four letter word that starts with "f."

I guess it's Irish, but close to the UK.

Proper
Cheeky
Telling porkies
Off you go
Taking the ‘pee’ (with an iss)
or Taking the Mickey (which I didn’t understand and thought drugs lol)
Referring to a boss as ‘the gaffer’
Bits and bobs
Eejit
Donkey’s years
In your own time

Many of these I picked up from watching Frost, Scott & Bailey and all their other detective shows. Watching Endeavor right now :laughing: And all of Morse last month.

Oh yeah, and tapping the side of nose. Cracks me up! I guess you can call it a slang gesture.

‘Bollocks’ mentioned above is a very interesting word.
In essence it’s another word for testicles (like knackers).
However, it’s also an exclamation when something has gone wrong. ‘Oh bollocks‘.
Its also used to define someone talking garbage- ‘That lad’s talking utter bollocks’ for example. We may find many on here often talking bollocks😂
When combined with the word ‘Dog’s’ it means something is really good. ‘That car is the dog’s bollocks mate’. That is praise in that context.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter