What’s the wettest you ever got at a Disney Theme Park?

Stargazer65

Disney Honorary Bus Driver since 2009
I have gotten soaked at every WDW Theme Park, but the most memorable time was during park closing time at MK.

We were watching the fireworks and it started coming down. We kept saying things like “It’ll probably taper off…” Not a chance, it just kept on coming down harder and harder. Then came park closing, everybody was bottlenecked going out the exit. We got stuck in the square at Main Street out in the open. It just continued coming down in sheets while the crowd was at a complete standstill for 15-20 minutes. The water got up to our ankles. Umbrellas and ponchos were futile. Finally we moved on, walked all the way back to the contemporary. We were so wet that when the rain changed from heavy to moderate, I actually felt drier because my clothes could only hold so much water at one time.

What’s the wettest you ever got at a Disney Theme Park?

Last edited:
We were at DS and had just finished up dinner and were headed to the bus stop. We both had rain coats on, but it started down pouring and from the waist down we got soaked. Finally stopped trying to avoid the puddles when I realized my feet we so wet they couldn't get any wetter! :rotfl2: Which was a good thing, because pretty much the entire walk way to the bus was one huge puddle! It took two days for my shoes to dry out!

We had just finished dinner at O'hana and had ridden the monorail to MK in order to catch a bus back to Pop. It started sprinkling rain as the monorail was pulling into the station, in one of those early evening Florida showers with rain but no lightning, so we decided to just head across the plaza to the bus loops. As soon as we stepped out of the station, it started pouring buckets. Like, "don't look up because you might drown" type of rain. We made the long trek to the bus stop, well aware that there were probably a couple hundred people making fun of the family of four that looked like drowned rats walking along by ourselves, since we were the only ones foolhardy enough to not seek cover! By the time we got to the bus, we could not have been wetter if we had been swimming in a pool. Thankfully, the bus driver took pity on us and turned down the A/C. Our shoes were wet for 3 days, even with newspaper, and I don't think our clothes fully dried until we got home and did laundry! :rotfl2: Gotta love making memories - no matter how you make them!

We’ve been lucky as far as weather goes (knock on wood for upcoming April trip). The wettest I’ve ever gotten is a weird one. In February 2015 both my older daughter (6 at the time) and I got absolutely drenched on the little drop on Pirates of the Caribbean! We were sitting in the front row and the bow of the boat ducked under the water. We were both in the middle and only us two (neither of the parties on either side of us) got soaked.

Even worse it was early in the day and in the low 50s. My wife had brought a change of clothes for our daughter so she was fine. However I had to shiver around the park all morning. Luckily it went up to the 80s later. But my daughter was convinced after that that Pirates is a ride like Splash Mountain or Kali River Rapids.

Last trip (Feb 2019) we had a day with a steady all day light to moderate rain at Animal Kingdom. We rode everything, got a lot done, enjoyed the lighter crowds. But as we headed out in the late afternoon, the rain changed to a driving sideways rain that completely soaked us on the tram back to the car - and it was cold! We checked into our rental house, took hot showers, and made chili for supper.

The first time I road Kali Rapids. Drenched is an understatement. I came prepared though with a change of clothes... lol

We were waiting in line for BTMR, was raining a little, boarded the train and as we were coming out of the cavern, it looked like we were going through a waterfall. It was coming down so hard that you had to turn your head because it hurt your face. The park was dead quiet after that. We just laughed it off and carried on.

Two times.
We had just gotten on the Kilimanjaro Safari and the rain started coming in sideways. We couldn't get off and it rained the whole ride.
One year at MNSSHP, started raining hard for about 2 hours. We had to get new candy bags twice because they were filling up with water.

A friend and I participated in the Everest 5K at AK a few years back. We had completed the 5K race and the obstacle course and were just heading back into the park to do the clue hunt. It started pouring. The water was up to our ankles as we ran around - we were soaked into the bone. They ended up canceling the rest of the race. We went on Dinosaur and froze in the AC. Everest was shutdown. Although a perk of the race was the park being open late for participants, we bailed! I was wearing a brand new bright pink Tshirt and when we got back to AKL I found my legs had dye stains running down them and my white socks were now pink-tinged! Great memories!!

We were ON the ride at Everest and the skies just opened up. Everyone started shrieking and the pouring rain physically hurt due to how fast we were moving!
It was actually awesome....my kids still talk about it. We pulled out ponchos once we were back inside the gift shop but the damage was done for the day.

As a very small child in the early 80's, I recall a serious downpour that had literally everyone in the park scrambling for cover. We got soaked. Never had any other really soaked to the bones kind fo experiences

Our second WDW trip, but the first time my DW and I stayed on-property we stayed @ POFQ. DAK was fairly new, so we gave it a 1/2 day on our final day before heading out to the airport to fly home. We were just about to leave wen the rain started coming down HARD. We decided to stay just a little longer and see Festival of the Lion King, in hopes that the rain would let up while we were in the show. It did not. In fact, it was coming down so hard it almost seemed like part of the show itself. We finally had to make a run for it after the show and headed out to catch a bus back to POFQ. We were absolutely soaked, but no longer had a room to dry off in and change clothes since we had already checked out - I distinctly remember wringing out clothes by the fountain at the POFQ entrance. We did manage to get a change of clothes out of our bags and changed in the bathroom, just barely making our DME bus.

We were attending a MVMCP many years ago, on a cold night. We had been on Spash Mountain many times over the years and just been splashed, but this night, we got soaked! My sister and I went in the nearby bathrooms, and took our clothes off to wring out the excess water. Then we did several runs on BTMRR to air dry. We were still really cold, and we discovered how warm the engines on the Jungle Cruise are, and made several rides through to warm up.

I got caught in a monsoon rain at Epcot last July. I had a poncho, but it was really windy, so I was basically soaked from the waist down. When I got back to my resort, I still had a half inch of water in my shoes. Fortunately I always bring a spare pair of shoes so I could let them dry thoroughly.

Splash Mountain during MNSSHP. Shortly after boarding the ride caught the wave caused by a boat going down the big flume. Sat in a puddle of water for the entire ride.

Thankfully it was dark as I was wearing white pants! Thankfully had a couple of jackets I could tie around my waist before getting kicked out of the park for indecency! :rotfl2:

In September 2016 we were at EPCOT and one of those Florida "not a storm but then turned into a tropical storm really fast" type storms popped up (I forget the name of the storm).

My 5 year old was OBSESSED with Frozen at the time and we had our FastPass for the Frozen Ride and Dinner at Akershus and it literally was down-pouring for over 30 minutes while we waited around "The Land". It was not letting up and was not going to.

We bought raincoats, asked for a bunch of bags from one of the stores in the Land, wrapped up the stroller, and made the trip (ran) in the down-pouring rain, through 6 inches of standing water all around, to Norway. We were soaked. Absolutely soaked.

Here's the proof... My daughter made it there without a drop of water on her... Giggling loudly the whole time... ;-)

The look on her face when she met Anna and Elsa was just amazing (her first Disney trip and first "character meet-and-greet"). Nobody else was there and Anna and Elsa spent 10 minutes with just her. Memory I'll never forget...

Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 8.06.57 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-03-29 at 8.08.42 PM.png

2012 last week of May. Family trip stayed at Coronado Springs. It started raining Tues and didn’t stop for the rest of the week. Thurs I had to travel from Coronado to Restaurant Marakesh. I wore a poncho. I was soaked before I made it to Spaceship Earth...and then I still had to make it to Morocco...it was raining so hard that the water was bouncing back up...my clothes, my shoes, my socks...even my hair under the poncho was soaking wet. And I cursed the one who decided we needed to eat in Morocco...also the worst meal I’ve ever had in Disney...

I agree with Kali. First time we rode it, we weren’t prepared. We literally went and bought new clothes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!