What’s the wettest you ever got at a Disney Theme Park?

May 2009, it monsooned for days. We were in Epcot when a huge wave of water came rushing at us. I had to buy new shoes for DD.

We were there that year. It was Monsoon rain for 10 of the 12 days we were there. It was also the first year we came in May because we were told by all our friends and family who lived there: "Come in May--it is beautiful in May!". Spent the entire 10 days soaking wet with no breaks in the rain. Warmer raincoats were sold out at most of the gift stores--managed to snag the last two at the Contemporary and our son chose a hooded zip up from Beach Club. I wore sweaters that I had packed, but man were we wet that visit!

We have been to Disney/Orlando every year since 1993 and twice a year (May and October) since 2010--been through more tropical storms than I can remember names and two hurricanes (Matthew & Michael) over the years--visited in August, May, October, September, June (through our children's school years) and once in July; but that is the wettest visit we have spent to date! :umbrella:

Being someone who lives a few hours away, having DVC and AP's, I generally go 4-5 times a year, and have been there in pretty much every month of the year...which means I've been soaked all the way through as if I'd jumped in a pool too many times to count. It's part of Florida living, so I'm used to it. I never was a fan of wearing the plastic rain ponchos, and usually it's too hot to consider actual rain clothing. Sometimes I've brought an umbrella, but often I can't be bothered to carry one with me. My only strategy is to make sure things that can be damaged by water can be protected, so I keep a Ziploc freezer bag in a pocket that I can throw paper materials, wallet, phone, or anything that could get damaged in the event of a sudden downpour, and just let myself get wet! I have a rain sleeve for my camera in a pocket too, so that's also protected. Many days like this:
original.jpg

I just keep walking...or 'just keep swimming' as it were. On the very worst days, I've waded through standing water nearly to my knees at Animal Kingdom, and had to wade through several hundred feet of 6-8 inch deep water in Tomorrowland and down Main Street (some spots known to be prone to flooding in heavy downpours). Part of the reason I always wear waterproof shoes and no socks at Disney World. :)

Some of our "best" days at either Disney or Universal are on those deluge days. So many people give up, you can sometimes luck out with amazing wait times when things open back up.
However, with a 13 year old now vs a little kid, I can imagine the experience being different... we might send him to the room and let the littles enjoy splooshing in the puddles. :-)

I love when the rain takes over. Watch everyone run for the busses, more empty attractions for me! We always just keep moving during rain storms.

We were there that year. It was Monsoon rain for 10 of the 12 days we were there. It was also the first year we came in May because we were told by all our friends and family who lived there: "Come in May--it is beautiful in May!". Spent the entire 10 days soaking wet with no breaks in the rain. Warmer raincoats were sold out at most of the gift stores--managed to snag the last two at the Contemporary and our son chose a hooded zip up from Beach Club. I wore sweaters that I had packed, but man were we wet that visit!

We have been to Disney/Orlando every year since 1993 and twice a year (May and October) since 2010--been through more tropical storms than I can remember names and two hurricanes (Matthew & Michael) over the years--visited in August, May, October, September, June (through our children's school years) and once in July; but that is the wettest visit we have spent to date! :umbrella:
We were at Beach Club too 😊

We were at Beach Club too 😊

We were actually at The Polynesian--thankfully in CL which saved us with food and drink when we couldn't take another minute in the rain! We were at BC&YC to have a cocktail at Crew's Cup and get out of the rain for a bit on an Epcot day.

Our son just lucked into finding the right sized zip up hoodie there (he was/is a pretty tall, skinny kid with long arms) since we had not been successful in the parks or on the monorail resorts (but for the two aforementioned warmer rain coats). I was the only one who didn't get a new jacket--just roughed it with my sweaters and umbrella--none of us can handle the ponchos. That weather was really something!

One time I was getting on Big Thunder Mountain and it looked like the rain was going to come down like it was Noah's flood. No one thought to wear anything for rain. As soon as we pulled out of the station the sky opened up and there was nothing we could do except ride the train in the deluge to the end. We were soaked. They did shut the ride down and we were the last train to get out of the station.

We get soaked every single time we're at AK. Outright poured to the soaked to the bone in a complete thunderstorm. After the lightning ended, the rain didn't stop and we walked back to the bus in sheets of rain and got on that chilly bus and froze to death. We haven't been once that it hasn't stormed, lighting and thunder, where my kids have been scared to death. Can't wait for repeat #8!!!

Over 10 years ago - bright, sunny day at MK and we got on Splash Mountain. As we got to the top of the drop, we looked out and it was pitch-black. Couldn't even see the castle. Between the splash and the pounding rain, it was like jumping in a pool.

Some years ago we were staying at the Wilderness Lodge and had gone to MK for the day. We left MK early because it looked like it was gonna rain soon, and the forecast was for rain off and on the rest of the day. We came back by boat, and before we could land at the dock, it began to rain HARD. It felt like the walk from the dock was about 5 miles, and when we got near to the closest entrance we thought we'd go in there rather than walking closer to the front. We approached it and were confronted with a major waterfall coming down directly over the door. No way to get around it. We looked at the waterfall, looked at each other, and decided to go through the waterfall rather than walk the long distance to the next door. No one in the history of being wet was ever any wetter than we were. Drowned rats. A lovely kind housekeeper gave us some towels so we could at least blot up the worst of the water. It wasn't fun at the time, but it's funny now.

An MNSSHP in Sept 2009. DD was a toddler and stayed pretty much dry in her covered stroller, but the rest of us got soaked even with ponchos on. WDW actually decided to give out rain checks that night, but we could not use them because we were leaving the following day, so we stayed. By 2 hours in we mostly had the park to ourselves; there were probably only about 300 people who felt hardy enough to stay and tough it out.

This is part of why I always tell newbies NOT to wear sneakers for summer trips. Supportive water sandals and quick-dry clothing are essential equipment for successful visits April-Sept, IMO.

So wet that in 1981 on my honeymoon at the age of 19, my tube top got soaked and slipped down as we ran to our car in the parking lot and I never knew it. My husband finally pointed it out to me after I had probably flashed several people. 😆

...it was pretty wet on THIS day:

00-qSvDM5RbRDsgPz4pfWeJXkYr5IDGYCMS7j3bLZS0RJiPn03awITl9bGjtTFw3HOOqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw

00-qSvDM5RbRDsgPz4pfWeJXkYr5IDGYCMS7j3bLZS0RJj9-JjLeEN3-AMe0IYnmwcMVZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg

00-qSvDM5RbRDsgPz4pfWeJXkYr5IDGYCMS7j3bLZS0RJjiy3-vlstwdsXGTSX2o2v95cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg

[....we never DID get to go on Test Track... :confused3 ]

My family tries to avoid sitting with me on water rides. Not once, but twice I have gotten completely soaked on- Frozen. Hair dripping, wringing out clothes wet.
The wettest I've gotten due to a rain storm was last September at EPCOT. The rain jacket and everything under got completely soaked through. My taco turned to tortilla soup, and even worse, my beer turned to water(or Miller lite). We bought new clothes, facemasks, and 2 kids got shoes at Mousegears , so we could stay in the park.

It was on July 1, my DS's birthday.
OK, not that day!

I experienced rain like that on the late afternoon right through into the late evening of December 13 2019 at EPCOT (I remember the date because it was the day before our flight back to the UK). I decided to go out on my own as DW had looked at the weather forecast and decided to stay in our resort (AKL) but I tend not to have much faith in weather forecasters 😊. Suffice it to say that I’ve *never* seen so much rain at that time of year in Florida; we’ve seen rain, yes, but that day was something else entirely. I was soaked to the skin in minutes and the trip back on the bus was seriously squelchy and not much fun, with water running off me the entire journey… There was no thunder or lightning, just a river falling from above!

Ir started to pour as soon as we got on Splash Mountain. Each time the ride went outside, we got more and more soaked! We took pictures after because we were so drenched! Made for a fantastic memory!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter