Western Magic 10/21/06 - 10/28/06 Trip Updated 6/21 Chapter 17: the final chapter!

Hey D

Love the report. I just realized we shared an elevator with you when we came back from the island. We were joking that you dropped off the family and they thought you were returning the car but you went to the bar. I remember the suitcase and wondered what the heck that was all about--thought you'd done a lot of shopping at the time. I didn't realized you took your gear for a tour of the island. :0)

Shell

Hi DisneyZell....I am trying to get caught up on your trippie & just have to read your last post & I'm there.

I had a great time on my 4 day cruise & can't believe we have been back already almost 3 weeks. I am writing a trippie too & that is why it's taking me so long to catch up on yours & all my other favorite threads.

We booked a 7 night eastern while on board for Oct 27, 2007 so I will get to experience the Magic soon!

Thanks for such a great report....Happy New Year too!!!!

I'm off to read about the turtles.

Hope you enjoyed the turtles...I know we dod. Sounds like you have some good times ahead of you...you will LOVE the 7 day I think. So much more time to settle in. I really want to do a 10 day sometimes for the same reason...

Madisonznana said:
Great Chapter Disney Zell! Btw, I just loved our team cruise ship!!!
Thank you, and thank you :) we have all really enjoyed doing WPASADI. What a time suck...but it's been cool doing the different challenges. just submitted #3, and are hoping that we move on!

glasssliper2004 said:
Thanks again for a very enjoyable trip report! The pictures are lots of fun.
You are welcome. The pictures help break up the story...and since I like looking at the pictures of others during their trip reports, I like to subject you all to mine! :)

J&ADisneyMom said:
Hey D

Love the report. I just realized we shared an elevator with you when we came back from the island. We were joking that you dropped off the family and they thought you were returning the car but you went to the bar. I remember the suitcase and wondered what the heck that was all about--thought you'd done a lot of shopping at the time. I didn't realized you took your gear for a tour of the island. :0)

Shell
No way! I totally remember that too. it's what I get for bragging about drinking beer, someone remembers me and it comes back to haunt me! The biggest dissapointment for me was that we didn't make more of an effort to meet folks from the DIS....we will definatly do that next time!

pandamom said:
LOL -- great chapter!!!
thanks!

and with that...on we go!!!

Next up: Chapter 12 Swimming with Dolphins

Our next destination was Cozumel. a bit of a rant here before I get going. I'm not a huge fan of Mexico. I've been to Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, Cabo, and a couple other places. Of all the places I've been the only one I really liked was Mazatlan because we found this really cool island (Rock Island) where they had an outdoor bar and grill, and you could ride horses on the beach. DW and I went on a cruise several years before we were married :rolleyes1 on Carnival doing the Mexican Riviera, and went there. We found out about it from a little booth, and you had to take this rickety boat taxi across to it, loaded with a ton of people and only have about 1 inch to spare before the water comes pouring in. A bit scary, but if I recall correctly it was cheap. The funny thing was when we got to the place there were several crew members who were surprised (and I think a bit unhappy) to see us. Obviously we left them alone. The horses were in good shape and we had a nice ride. The only scary part for me was that I had a retired racehorse. So every time another horse came alongside it decided that running faster would be good. Interesting experience for my first time in a saddle.

When we got back I had this fantastic fish...it was filleted and grilled to perfection...one of the best things I have ever tasted. But the bathrooms were a whole other story.

But I digress. That was my good experience, other than that I have always found Mexico kind of dirty, with scary people and this incredible nagging fear that I would end up sitting on, or kneeling in front of, the toilet for weeks at a time. At one point we swore off Mexico in favor of US destinations where at least we did not have to worry about Montezuma.

So needless to say my expectations were not incredibly high.

Deanna did her usual waking up before the crack of dawn. Note that she doesn't do this at home, so I'm not really sure why she did this on vacation. No wonder we are always exhausted when we get back. She did the book reading and journal writing (thank god).

When I got up I went to work out. Again. Yay for me! :cheer2:

After I worked out and everyone got up we got dressed and headed for Lumiere's for Breakfast. Not really sure why we did that as the Buffet is so much better, faster and easier, but we did. It was not exactly spectacular as most of you know who take trips, but it was ok. We got to relax and take our time because we wouldn't reach port until 9:30.

Once we were at the port we got off pretty much right away. Deanna, Nick, DNW (Kim) and DNS9 (Chris) headed off to do Dolphin Discovery for the Royal Swim.

****Warning*****tip coming*****warning

So, you can pay to do the dolphin encounter through the ship...where you will see the dolphins, touch them, etc. Or for a few dollars more you can do the Royal Swim directly through Dolphin Discovery. I will write about it later (actually will steal from what Deanna has already written), and you will see what they did, but it was definitely worth it. Big jealousy from me as I would have loved to have gone!

Mike and I took the younger set and hopped in a cab to head to Paradise Beach. The cab driver had other ideas and tried several times to talk us into going to a different beach. But the plan was to meet everyone at the beach after they were done with their encounter so that we could hang out until heading back to the ship.

The cab ride wasn't bad, Cozumel is beautiful, definitely a nice island community. The road was straight, and it was kind of funny to see all the beach clubs, etc. that you just know suck in the tourists and all their money. very entertaining.

I had read all about Paradise Beach and how it was a nice place to go. It had a nice feel to it right off the bat. We paid our $8 and got our wristbands and went to find a place to sit down. The sand was nice, and it wasn't too crowded at that point. We plopped our stuff down and it's time for another digression.

****warning**** digression coming ******warning
So one of my issues with Mexico is a general feeling of being unsafe. I had brought my video camera (which I used for maybe 5 minutes), among a few other things. Nothing that couldn't be replaced, but there is just a feeling of having to keep an eye on my stuff that I just didn't like. Realizing that in Hawaii or Florida I would too...but I just didn't like it. I guess that's why I'm a huge fan of Castaway Cay...figure we are all in it together, so why would folks steal from us?

Anyway, remember that Nick is 4 and Kathryn is 6.

We all headed out to the water. While the beach is pretty nice, the water stank because a large portion where you enter the water had a ton of rocks which were very hard to walk on, and stubbed my toe about 50 times. This was really annoying and didn't make my experience much better.

Connor and I headed out to the Trampoline and Mike and Kathryn headed over to the Iceberg. We climbed to the top of the tramp and jumped around a bit...but there were a lot of bigger kids there and they made it really hard for Connor to jump at all. Kathryn was able to climb on the Iceberg a little bit, but she could only get about 1/2 way up. She tried this several times, and I think Connor and I went on the Trampoline twice. So the $8 that we paid was really a waste of money IMHO. They are too young. I think if you have 8 years or older you would be in good shape, but for the 4 and 6 year old set, save your money.

We wandered in and out of the water for quite some time, Connor loves to play in the sand, so we did a lot of digging and building and destroying and digging and building and destroying. Mike and Kathryn spent more time floating than anything else.

The only thing I didn't like was the pressure to buy food and drink. The waiter basically forced us to buy beer, saying that's why the chairs and umbrella's are free. Frankly I'd rather pay $10 than be forced into anything. I know nothing is free, and certainly understand that, but he was not pleased with the amount of money we spent. We ended up getting a bucket of beer, and some nachos. I ate some of the nachos, but got freaked out by Mike who was worried about the water used to wash off the veggies, etc. So I didn't eat as much as I should have because I worried about Montezuma. That stunk. We knew that the dolphin portion of our party was going at 12:30, and we expected them about 2 or so. By 12 we were pretty much ready to go. Little kids on a beach for extended lengths of time just aren't good.

Around 2 Mike bought the kids ice cream which entertained them a bit more. At this point we had an added stress that I didn't need. We obviously had no way to communicate with our wives and I didn't want them coming to the beach and paying their $8 since we were ready to go. So I spent the next hour in and out of the water keeping an eye on the entrance so we could dash out and tell them not to do it. We finally gave up around 3. I was miserable by this time (not that you can tell by the trip report).

So this was the best part of the visit to Paradise Beach. We went to shower off, and there was a very nice man there with a hose who would wash off your feet (the showers just didn't do the job) and the kids because they were shorter. He was so nice and patient. It was a little thing, but it went a long way toward making up for a lot of uncomfortable moments. interesting how that works.

****warning***another digression****Warning***

don't say I didn't warn you. I apologize for being grumpy. I'm not a big beach fan in general...drag all your stuff there, get all sandy, etc. If I had my way I'm not sure I would ever hit the beach, but would stay on the ship. I just don't like sand everywhere! :)

We grabbed a cab and headed back...the cab driver didn't speak very good English, and I was really hoping he knew where to go. Luckily he did and we got back and on the ship with no other worries...other than the fact that we had not seen the rest of our party yet...and considering they were supposed to meet us at Paradise Beach...we were concerned.

So now I will steal liberally from what DW wrote about the Royal Swim with Dolphin Discoveries. I cannot and will not speak for the accuracy of said adventures as I did not witness them with my own eyes. But I find DW to be pretty trustworthy...so here we go.

Frankly I was a bit uncomfortable plopping DW, DNW and two kids in a cab in Mexico and sending them off. Again I go back to the safety thing. But they arrived no problem at 10:45. They had an hour to kill so they took the shuttle down to the beach. Nick and Chris went out snorkeling for a bit, but it was REALLY rough. Add to that the rocks and it was pretty dangerous. We are glad that the little kids didn't come here to the beach as there basically wasn't one from the hurricane.

A little before noon they took the shuttle back to Dolphin Discovery and wait their turn. Finally at 12:20 they were ready to go. They gave them a locker to put all their stuff in (nice touch), and they watched a video about how to interact with the dolphins, etc. After that they went to get their life jackets (which you will see in a moment) and head out to their pen.

The Dolphins they got to interact with were Shadia and Amaya.

***Warning***yet another digression***

Nick LOVES animals. For at least 2 years of his lift the only channel he ever watched on TV was animal planet. He loves all thing animals, but as I'm typing this I realize that I have already shared this with you, so I'm going to stop now. :blush:

They got into the water and got to feel them as they swam by. For anyone that has never touched a dolphin, their skin feels like wet rubber. It is very cool to be that up close and personal with them. The Dolphins were trained to do various things, like pulling you while you hold onto their dorsal fins:

Nickpulledbydolphins.jpg
Nick being pulled....if this isn't a dream for someone that LOVES animals...

deannapulledbydolphins.jpg
Deanna being pulled

and being pushed by their heads...

NickbeingpushedbyDolphins.jpg
Nick being pushed by the dolphins!

Now, if you recall my last post, there was discussion that there was no Rasul in our lives. So Deanna had to get it from somewhere...

deannakissingdolphin.jpg

and Nick got in on some action too:
Nickkissingdolphin.jpg

They were in the water for about an hour...overall they loved it. One of the best things that they have ever done, and even now, several months later, Nick continues to talk about that adventure and lists it as one of the best moments of his life.

So as I'm sure you guessed this was a cheap excursion. And after they were done they all went and watched the video that the company had made of the experience. Which naturally DW bought. Oh, and they bought all the pictures too. DW and DNW single-handedly helped build the Cozumel economy. Since I was so cheap that our waiter hated us...it was probably just as well. One the way out they threw a few extra dollars at a guy with Parrots and ended up with a cute picture:

NickandChriswithParrots.jpg
Chris and Nick with the Parrots.

It was 2:40, time to head back, and they decided to go right for the ship instead of Paradise Beach. This was a good thing since we were no longer there...:rolleyes1

a quick stop on the pier to purchase some Corona clothes for pirate night for Mike and Kim and they were back much to our relief. I wonder what you do if your party doesn't return :confused3

It was time to get ready for Pirate Night...but as I haven't scanned all the pictures you will have to wait for that one!!

kind of a short entry...but with Pirate night it might be to long! :)
Next up: Chapter 13: Pirates IN the Caribbean

I'm really enjoying your TR - we were on the same trip. I'll second your nervousness about the cab rides, our cab only had one functioning seat belt and we had to dig through some fun stuff to get it out from between the seats:scared:

Did you get "land sick" in Cozumel? The night before was REALLY rough seas which didn't seem to bother anyone in our group but when we got off the boat we all felt like the island was rocking terribly. No one wanted to eat at Paradise beach for fear on losing their nachos!

Did I read right that your son was 7 on the cruise? Did you have a problem booking him for the Royal Swim? I have a 7 yr old interested when we go in March.
-m

Still a great & funny report. Scan those pictures & keep on writing. :yay:

maybe this weekend! :)

Smooch said:
I'm really enjoying your TR - we were on the same trip. I'll second your nervousness about the cab rides, our cab only had one functioning seat belt and we had to dig through some fun stuff to get it out from between the seats

Did you get "land sick" in Cozumel? The night before was REALLY rough seas which didn't seem to bother anyone in our group but when we got off the boat we all felt like the island was rocking terribly. No one wanted to eat at Paradise beach for fear on losing their nachos!

no, we didn't experience that. we had a few nights like that, didn't we. it made for some fun walking...and one of those same nights it was incredibly windy...it was cool going up on the top deck and walking against the wind. but I am insane.

meegster said:
Did I read right that your son was 7 on the cruise? Did you have a problem booking him for the Royal Swim? I have a 7 yr old interested when we go in March.
-m

you read right, he turned 8 November 1. I might have to defer to DW on this one...don't know if she lied or just didn't say anything regarding his age. We had him with the 8 year olds on board too, but we had to ask for that. I'll harrass DW to answer this tonight.

-m

It was not a problem...I asked ahead of time but he also was way passed the height requirement, so I was told it would not be a problem. However, I would not even worry about a 7 year old...they do not ask and they certainly cannot check their id's, so not a problem...just go and enjoy it, you will not regret it at all! I recommend going to their website too, they might have coupons for the pics/video that you can use...that is where we got our coupons...my neighbor and I each got a $25 coupon, so that helped a lot in the end. Trust me, we took the waterproof cameras and took lots of pictures ourself, but they don't even come close to the ones we bought...I am so glad we bought all the pictures.

Thanks for checking on my questions, DisneyZell ! Really enjoyed your report. Thanks for all the great info and ****** tips ******** .
-m

Chapter 13: Pirates IN the Caribbean

If you have been following along you know that this was our second cruise. the first one our kids were 5 and 2 respectively...so there was a fairly large age difference, and when it was time for Pirate Night we had dinner, and that was about it. Here we were back in 2004:

PA050157.jpg

and here we are in 2006 with Jack Sparrow

jacksparrow.jpg

I have enjoyed going back and comparing...pretty neat to see how the kids have changed over the years.

Anyhoooo, once we were back on the ship it was time to get cleaned up and don the pirate gear. We certainly didn't go all out like some folks do, but we did make the effort. I had the famous Jack Sparrow Hawaiian shirt, and Deanna actually created her "wench" outfit. not that I'm calling her a wench. Cause she's not. and stop trying to get me in trouble! pirate:

We went down and took a few pictures before dinner, I think they turned out pretty good. But then again, I might be just a tad bit biased.

pirate1.jpg
all of us with Chip and Dale

pirate3.jpg
Connor's current favorite, Stitch. you gotta love the outfits these characters have for Pirate Night.

P1010090.jpg
All of us with Goofy. We seem to take our best pictures with Goofy. This goes back to when Connor was first born and we went to Disneyworld...and our best picture was with...Goofy. We even used it for our Christmas cards that year. But I digress..

pirate2.jpg
Nick with his favorite Chip and Dale. Love the stance that Nick took. He thought it looked cool and showed off the pirate bracelets that we got him. We had to beat it out of him to get him to stand normal for at least one or two pictures. why do kids do that???

P1010096.jpg
And of course Pirate Mickey. actually this is my least favorite Mickey...I just don't think it does much. Maybe they should make him into Jack Sparrow Mickey. Just a thought.

After taking pictures it was off to dinner and one of our best experiences. None of Adrian's other tables were there that night. It was FABULOUS. It was like having two people with nothing else to do but hang out with you. I think this is where we actually got to know Adrian the best, and he told us lots of stories, and did several magic tricks. Not that he wasn't part of it before, but he really became a part of our vacation at that point. How cool is that? I often wonder, though, if they remember people they meet...I'm sure they do remember bits and pieces, but they meet so many folks every week, I just can't imagine.

Once again, if he is reading...THANK YOU ADRIAN! you made our trip that much more magical. Even several months later (I know, I know, I'm a bit slow) it makes me smile to remember the interactions with him. We even got him to sit down with us on this night...

P1010102.jpg
Adrian telling stories

Now, you might wonder just why there was an empty chair at the table when we were all there. this is a perfectly logical question for which there is a perfectly logical explanation. Really. Connor. This kid was going non stop for days. I'm always shocked at how long he can continue to go 100 miles an hour...but eventually....he does collapse. :faint:

Adrian pulled together some chairs, tied them with napkins, draped them with tablecloths, and voila...a bed!

P1010101.jpg
They are so cute when they are sleeping.

After dinner we all went back to the cabins to get a little rest before the pirate night. Connor continued to sleep. In the course of this cruise there were several points that my arms just hurt from carrying his dead weight around with me. Remember how he was sleeping at the lifeboat drill? funny how he just zonks out. if I could bottle both his energy and his ability to just fall asleep I would be a very happy man.

After resting for a bit we knew that Jack Sparrow was coming out. You already saw the picture, but we had to wait for quite some time before he arrived. Fortunately he was outside the Walt Disney Theater and there were comfy chairs where I almost fell asleep and DW clicked this darling picture of Connor (who of course was still asleep) and I.

P1010105.jpg

We didn't know what Connor was going to do when it was our turn for Jack Sparrow. Luckily he woke up just in time to catch the picture...amazing how he was able to do that, and then he went back to sleep yet again.

I had resigned myself to the fact that I wouldn't be attending the Pirate Party (again), but just before it was time to go he perked right up. So up we went. I won't ruin the whole thing for you, but suffice it to say that it's a pretty fun production up on stage. Lots of singing and dancing. I do have a huge recommendation for the adults. If you can safely do it and not hurt your children, be drunk. It makes everything seem better. I was not drunk, and a lot of it was pretty boring, and very drawn out (it could have been done in 10 minutes, but of course where is the fun in that???).

There are lots of characters that come out and dance...and they are all very close to you. As usual, the CM's are dancing all over the place (maybe THEY have figured out how to bottle Connor's energy). Plus they shoot these little white fluff balls out of a cannon. This was a huge hit for the kids to collect. It is extremely important to get a large piece of lint to take home with you. Nick had 5 at one point, but was nice and gave them away to other younger kids. Sometimes he makes me tear up, he is growing too fast. :sad1:

P1010113.jpg
Chris and Nick just looking cool like they always do.

The finale of the show itself is fun to watch as the big mouse floats across the sky...Connor liked that...

P1010112.jpg

And after that....Fireworks! How cool! where else can you get Fireworks on a ship??? Naturally we knew that it was coming, but it was a pretty impressive display. Add to that the fact that we weren't fall out of port at that point as we left late...so I'm sure they had to notify Cozumel that we would be doing that so the Mexican Navy didn't come try to rescue us. It was a fabulous night of magic. :welcome:

Back in the room we were greeted by a hanging towel....

P1010108.jpg

And it was to bed with us all. We didn't hit the buffet because we were all to tired...and we didn't know where it was. I was disappointed because I wanted to get more pirate coins...but frankly I didn't have the energy to go back up on deck. Laziness is close to godliness...isn't that how the saying goes?

Next up: Chapter 14: Towel Animal Delight

>>How cool is that? I often wonder, though, if they remember people they meet...I'm sure they do remember bits and pieces, but they meet so many folks every week, I just can't imagine. >>>

Still loving the report! Just wanted to let you know that the Cm's have amazing memories! We cruised in 2003, and had Collin and Shawn as our servers, well cruised again in 2006 and saw Collin at CC and DH and I went up to say "hi", and said "You probably don't remember us..." and He jumped up and embraced us ( me, longer than dh...but we won't go there...LOL) and said "Of course I remember you, how's Ryan?" So then we knew he remembered since he even got our son's name right! Amazing that after 3 years he would know that. And he isn't the only one. A few of the teen counselors remembered ds as well. This is one of the reasons we keep coming back to DCL. It's like going home everytime...only I don't have to cook or clean! LOL

Lisa

DW and I have spent the last 2 days reading from the beginning hope you finish soon as we leave for WDW on Jan. 24th and set sail for a 7 day Western on the 27th. This will also be our 2nd DC.

Excellent TR we have really enjoyed the details and tips. Great pics too!

Great job so far can't wait to hear more soon!

Gord & Lorraine

Not 1 installment but 2..... :banana: :banana: :banana: & both were great.
I loved the dolphin encounter pictures.
You guys looked great for pirate night....I agree with you about the pirate party. It wasn't as fun as I thought it would be...just like a dance party for the kids more than anything...but Mickey flying & the fireworks were worth waiting through all the other stuff.
Keep it coming. :thumbsup2:

We had to beat it out of him to get him to stand normal for at least one or two pictures. why do kids do that???

:lmao:

I have no idea.....just to see how tight you can clench your teeth & say "please quit that!" I guess.

Yet another great installment. The tip about being drunk during the Pirate Night had me :rotfl2: Shouldn't it be added to the "Best tips you learned from the DIS?" ;)

>>How cool is that? I often wonder, though, if they remember people they meet...I'm sure they do remember bits and pieces, but they meet so many folks every week, I just can't imagine. >>>

Still loving the report! Just wanted to let you know that the Cm's have amazing memories! We cruised in 2003, and had Collin and Shawn as our servers, well cruised again in 2006 and saw Collin at CC and DH and I went up to say "hi", and said "You probably don't remember us..." and He jumped up and embraced us ( me, longer than dh...but we won't go there...LOL) and said "Of course I remember you, how's Ryan?" So then we knew he remembered since he even got our son's name right! Amazing that after 3 years he would know that. And he isn't the only one. A few of the teen counselors remembered ds as well. This is one of the reasons we keep coming back to DCL. It's like going home everytime...only I don't have to cook or clean! LOL

Lisa
Get out of town! how cool was that! talk about making you feel good. I had an issue with our Head Server because I saw him several times on Castaway Cay and he had zero idea who I was. After a week you would expect him to at least recognize the folks at his table.

CruisingCanuck said:
DW and I have spent the last 2 days reading from the beginning hope you finish soon as we leave for WDW on Jan. 24th and set sail for a 7 day Western on the 27th. This will also be our 2nd DC.

Excellent TR we have really enjoyed the details and tips. Great pics too!

Great job so far can't wait to hear more soon!

Gord & Lorraine
working on it! sounds like you have an awesome cruise coming up! I'm jealous!

Disneygrl36 said:
Not 1 installment but 2..... & both were great.
I loved the dolphin encounter pictures.
You guys looked great for pirate night....I agree with you about the pirate party. It wasn't as fun as I thought it would be...just like a dance party for the kids more than anything...but Mickey flying & the fireworks were worth waiting through all the other stuff.
Keep it coming. :
Thanks Melanie, as always! I like to surprise everyone now and again and give bonus episodes. I agree that the Fireworks made up for alot...especially in Connor's eyes!

Curlybop said:
I have no idea.....just to see how tight you can clench your teeth & say "please quit that!" I guess.

Yet another great installment. The tip about being drunk during the Pirate Night had me Shouldn't it be added to the "Best tips you learned from the DIS?"
one of the great mysteries is why kids do what they do!

And yes, I think my drunken quote should be added...and maybe next time I'll actually follow my own advice!

Now, on with the story!! :scared1:

Chapter 14: Towel Animal Delight

So, it's now October 26th, Thursday (well, actually it's January 11th, also a Thursday). We have Day at Sea #2!! woohoo! have I mentioned that I like days at sea? I would be willing to just get on the boat and cruise around for 7 days. I realize that the CM's would be insane after only a short period of doing this, but the idea of lounging around just appeals to me. So much better than having to haul all kinds of stuff off the ship (say, in a suitcase), renting cars, dealing with sand, being in Hell (that was a cheap shot), etc.

I'm lazy by nature, will always be lazy...but what can you do? :banana:

So this morning DW actually didn't get up at the crack of dawn. I guess it finally caught up with her. So we missed one sunrise. Again, isn't it interesting how you can get up early on vacation...yet at home I could sleep in for hours. I don't know that I will ever figure that one out.

Nick woke up sometime after we did and he and Deanna headed to get breakfast. I stayed behind because Connor was still sleeping. He had gotten a bit of a fever the night before (hmmmm maybe that's why he was so sleepy :sick: ), so we figured better to let him rest. I kicked back on the bed and read...which fit well with what I could conceivably do every single day on a cruise ship.

After Deanna and Nick got back I headed up to do the breakfast thing to bring back to our room...loading up my plates and tray with lots of good stuff (like a boatload of bacon and a big bowl of syrup....like I said, I like it). A few weird looks from the other guests (naturally I just shrug it off and say I'm getting food for the kids. Sad, isn't it that I continue to do that :rolleyes1 ). I make my way down to our stateroom and Connor is finally awake, feeling better and hungry. so that worked out well.

Slight digression here. How do they make their bacon. It was fabulous...and it was fabulous every single day. When I make bacon at home it never turns out like that. It was always perfect, crispy and tasty. When I make it, it's rubbery, and usually somewhat tasty. unless I overcook it. then it's crunchy.

But i digress. When we finished we took Nick and Chris up to the sportsdeck to play outdoors and the rest of us went to the lobby to take pictures. The princesses were there. So Connor is 4. He shouldn't care about if things are girl things or boy things...but he had NO interest in the princesses. He just didn't want to take pictures with them.

As you all know from reading my posts so far I'm an excellent parent. and I did what any excellent parent would do, I forced him to do it.

P1010115.jpg
Connor and Belle

Kathryn was there too....

P1010114.jpg
Kahtryn and Belle

Now, you would think that being the great parent that I am that I wouldn't make him do more than one since he really didn't want to. Again, you thought wrong.

P1010119.jpg
Connor and Cinderella!

Come on people, you know it's all about the pictures. It's all that anyone will remember. and how cute is he with Cinderella. Good thing she was willing to lean over and hug him...cause he was not getting any closer to her :hug:

At lunchtime it was my turn to take one for the team. I took both Kathryn and Connor to see Cars in the Buena Vista Theater.

******Warning*******Tip coming******Warning**********
I have seen it asked, I don't know how many times, if you could bring food into the theater. The answer is yes. If you haven't figured it out yet, you can pretty much do whatever you want on the cruise...the vacation is yours. This is good...and bad depending on your situation. I've read where people go overboard and do stupid things. we didn't have that situation. So pretty much if you want to go somewhere that doesn't have food and bring food with you...go for it!

We went and visited Pinichios and got pizza for all of us and drinks. The lady doing pizza was nice enough to give us double the plates so I could stack everything and carry it. We grabbed drinks and grabbed our seats. It was pretty cool munching on pizza and watching the movie. It wasn't the same as candy...but people looked envious (or was that annoyed? :rolleyes1 ) while we were munching away.

It was not the first time I'd see Cars...which in my opinion is not one of Disney's better films. But it was ok and it kept the kids entertained for a while. And it was free. Well, sort of. Guess I would have had to watch a whole lot of "free" movies on the cruise to pay for the cruise. But I digress.

Once the movie was over it was time....for a towel folding demo! This was something that I really wanted to see. I think towel animals are very cool. I am always amazed at the different things you can do with towels. I'm also a bit concerned that someone, at some point, felt it was necessary to teach our stateroom hosts to do this....and that they must do this in order to recieve tips. But apparently it's a cruise thing...cause I know it ain't just Disney!

So they had a stateroom hostess teaching us. She was soooo good. Her english was not strong, but I was thinking about it while she was demonstrating. This is someone going above and beyond their normal job...she doesn't get extra money or kudos for this...she still gets her normal pay and tips...so she volunteers or gets volunteered. PLUS, the hour or so she spent doing this was an hour away from doing her rooms...which I'm sure put her behind. So big kudos to the CM's that do this kind of thing....we love it!! :love:

So first she demonstrated several animals for us...and by the end this is what she had done:

P1010128.jpg

Of course this whole thing took some of the mystery out of the towel folding...but DS8 (Nick) thought it was fabulous, more on that in a minute.

After she was done we were all give two sheets of paper with how to do a few animals and she helped us all make Swans. Then she taught us how to make a smaller swan and put them together to make a heart. very cool.

P1010124.jpg
Nothing is more manly than posing with your towel swans.

P1010127.jpg
Kim (DNW) actually did the best in the swan category. her beaks were razor sharp. We think perhaps she was a stateroom hostess in another life.

P1010130.jpg
Nick really got into it

The next day Nick made a whole flock of swans as a present for our stateroom hostess. A present. Yes she had to clean them all up. But HE thought it was a present. He had a great time doing this...we talked about how we will make towel animals when we have guests come to the house. For Christmas we had a whole house full of guests...did we make towel animals? uh, no. :rotfl2:

It was over quickly, but was definately a highlight. it wasn't all that packed so if you are interested I highly recommend it. It's a skill to have, I suppose, and someday we will remember. My dad visits next week...maybe then?

to be continued in the next thread! too many pics!

Chapter 14 part 2!

After that the kids got the boot to the clubs because it was time for the Galley Tour! We met in front of Lumier's and had to wait our turn. A chef came and brought us into the restaurant and introduced us to a bunch of other chefs. I'd tell you their names but they all looked the same in their white hats :rotfl: . Then they took us in back to the galleys. It was immaculate...pretty amazing. Consider that I can't keep my kitchen clean for 2 hours...how the heck they keep it not just clean but sparkling. Everything sparkled...and they talked to us about what they did in each part. They told us how many cakes, cookies, etc. that they make each day. There were some very cramped quarters back there...and I had a much higher respect for the servers. They have to squeeze into these area's grab food and make it back out. The assistant servers have to fight over one soda dispenser...no wonder it sometimes took forever (especially the first night. I think once they figure out what everyone wants they don't have as big of a crunch). And the gave us cookies. Always good to feed a bunch of adults on the cruise.

Cookie digression: There was one night, I think it must have been Key West, when we had issues getting Connor Cookies. apparently when they pull into US ports they have to dispose of all that type of thing from the day. I don't really know why...and this story loses its excitement because I can't tell you why. So why did I put it in here???

Anyway, at the end the chef asked for questions and we got the usual...how much food comes on board...do they take on food at different ports, etc. There were lobster questions and this guy was hilarious when he talked about a huge tank of water where they keep all the lobsters (uh...not so much, they just bring them on frozen). We all bought it of course...which I'm sure entertained him!

I highly recommend that you do this tour if given the chance. I really wish they would start a tour of the crew area's. But I just don't see that happening!!

So after this we went and grabbed the kids out of the clubs for a little bit. When we got up to get Nick his team had made a volcano:

P1010132.jpg
Nick and his volcano

They blew them up. it was actualy pretty cool to watch.

We went up on deck to take some pictures. It was extremely windy. you could barely walk against the wind. So naturally we went to the front of the ship where it was windiest. We got this picture:

P1010136.jpg
Don't tell DW that I posted that. I'm guessing I shouldn't. But I have been known to have lapses of judgement from time to time. It does show you how windy it was!!!

It was graduation day, so it was time for the kids to go back into the clubs. Chris had no interest in going, and DNH didn't want to force him. He was going to just sit with us. We finally talked him into it though, talking about the shirts, and how all the other kids were going to be in it. So we dropped all the kids off and DW and DNW went off to play Bingo. We joined them with Beers later, but unfortunately didn't bring them any luck as they didn't win. Bingo is pretty fun,though, with alot of interaction....you should try it once, just be ready to lose your "investment".

Immediately following Bingo it was going to be time for Graduation. The ladies had to go do something (not sure what), so Mike and I plopped our rear ends in seats in the second row. After a few minutes he had to go to the bathroom so I was saving 3 seats. I had my first saving seats incident. A few minutes after Mike left a man came and sat down within the row of seats I was saving. I mentioned to him that I was saving 4 seats, that my party was going to be right there.

He informs that that you can't save seats. Now, if the theater was packed...that's one thing...but it wasn't. I tried to reason with the guy...but to no avail. I was PISSED :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious:

I moved up 4 rows or so and sat and fumed. It was a bit of an interesting situation because I could have pushed a bit, and possibly ended up with us not having seats...which was my concern, so I moved. Mike came back. Now things got funny. I knew I could count on him to push the buttons of the guy...so I explained what happened, and noted the empty seat beside him. I figured it was probably for someone else...and it was. So Mike went down and plopped down right next to the guy! Naturally he said he was saving the seat for his wife...and Mike said "oh, you can't save seats" and sat there drinking his beer for a few minutes. Then Mike looked over and asked "how does it feel to be a total Jacka**?". They shared some words and then Mike came back up. It was funny to watch because I knew the guy got pissed...but it was totally unnecessary and the guy took away our good seats to prove a point.

Now, in his defense, he later came up and talked with us and apologized. Apparently he had the same thing happen to him a row up from where we were, so he was pissed. I pointed out to him that maybe screwing someone else over wasn't the best way to respond. He was from Great Brittain and didn't want his American friends to be upset. Pretty big of him to come up and apologize...so that helped. But still...it was annoying. Yes, it sucks that you don't get the seat you want...but if people want to come early to save seats, why shouldn't they be able to?? (I know, I know, it's against the rules, but you were up on deck enjoying yourself while I was waiting in line...that's your choice...and mine!)

The graduation was cool...they show some neat video and pictures of the kids (and for the second time in two cruises neither of my kids were in either. I'm not sure if they just aren't there at the right time or what. It's annoying cause we would have loved to see them up there! But it was alot of fun, and is a really neat touch that Disney did.

We only really got one picture:

P1010140.jpg

as it was dark. I definately recommend your kids do this...they get a free shirt and graduation cap...which is cool. Again, free is relative. huge expense for a cruise and $.30 worth of free stuff! :)

After graduation we rushed back to the rooms to get dressed for Semi-Formal night. I have to say that I enjoyed getting dressed up alot more on this cruise than the last one. Maybe it's cause this time I have those kinds of clothes, but it was kind of cool. Why we have Semi-Formal and Formal night...I don't know.

Dinner was a Lumiere's and was Lobster night! Everyone except Kathryn and Connor had Lobster. The last time we were on the cruise I wasn't impressed with the Lobster and it was a repeat this time. Especially now that I live in New England we are spoiled by tender tasty Lobster. The Lobster they serve is tasty, but chewy, and I don't like the way they cook it. Oh, I ate it. Don't get me wrong, I ate it! :thumbsup2

DS4 got chicken fingers and ketchup. I don't think I gave you this pic before...but it was a cool way to present ketchup.

P1010147.jpg
Holy hidden mickey batman!

After dinner we headed to Who Wants to be a Mousekteer! We remember 2 years ago when that was held in the Walt Disney Theater. There were tips such as pick an empty row because you increase your chances. And if you went all the way up you would win a cruise! So we were excited to try that again and then noticed it was in Sudio Sea. Hmmm, how do they do the numbers???

So we went and we were each handed a number. There you go. The prizes were much less...a pin and some sort of crystal thing if you win it all. But what the heck, we sat down and hung out. They kept coming close to our numbers over and over...and then they said they were done. The audience cheered for more and the host (the assistant cruise director, I don't remember his name) said ok, one more. The number pulled was one of ours! it was actuall DNW Kim. But she didn't want to go up so she handed it to Deanna (who is also our resident Disney expert). She grabbed DNS Chris (figuring that since it was Kim's number she should bring a member of our neighbors family) and headed up. Kathryn really wanted to go too, so she also went.

P1010154.jpg
Chris in the hot seat, Deanna and Kathryn too

They answered all the questions correctly and got their pins and the crystal thing. They gave them 3 pins for the three of them...which lead to issues because there were 4 kids. So I went in and begged and pleaded and managed to get another one. persistance pays off!!

Just saw the pin in a buy it now auction for $250! huh, wonder if anyone will pay that. if you want to buy one for $250, message me and I'll steal it from my children and send it to you! ;)

After that we went toward the Walt Disney Theater for Disney Dreams...and took some pics along the way...

P1010161.jpg
I told you, us and Goofy...it's amazing.

P1010164.jpg
our neighbors...

I wasn't that impressed with Disney Dreams. Although for the first time we didn't save seats and discovered that down the left side there was plenty of room pretty far up. maybe all that waiting and going early was a waste of time! I remember not thinking Disney Dreams was that great 2 years ago...and I should have skipped it. I won't bore you with what it is about...I'm sure you can find that somewhere else!

So tonight was the night for the Midnight Buffet! And we did what any good parent would do....we went to bed! yes! maybe we did it right this time!

So, until next we meet...

Next up: Chapter 15 Snorkling and losing in paradise

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter