Western Magic 10/21/06 - 10/28/06 Trip Updated 6/21 Chapter 17: the final chapter!

Madisonznana said:
I your cheerleading team is behind you all the way Zell!!
Oh and did I mention I am a finalist in the red carpet evening gown competition?? If you go to http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1297819&page=1&pp=15 you could maybe vote for me :teeth: .

Please, Please, Please :blush: :blush: Humbly Madisonsznana! :blush:

aw man! I was too late...or I would have voted for you! clearly I'm neglecting my trip report...so here is the next chapter...

Chapter 10: Monday, our first day at sea and our first visit to Palo!

A short digression before I digress into the regular digression. the question was asked about the upgrade...we paid $832 to go from Cat 8 to Cat 4. This would have been about $2,200 had we done it before...so we figured that was a good deal. Plus we really wanted a balcony...I don't know that the stress of waiting and having to go early is worth it...but in the end we got what we needed (even though DW and DNW had to be really early and get laughed at by the guards (see earlier episodes!).

Anyway, Monday arrived and we all got to sleep in. Yeah right. Have you ever noticed that when you get to sleep in you tend to not be able to? can someone explain that to me sometime? the KIDS got to sleep in, ah to be young again.

DW and I saw this again:

P1010139-1.jpg
Another Beautiful sunrise

Have I mentioned that I like sleep? uh...yeah...I haven't seen this many sunrises in quite some time. Sad. :)

So DW did her morning reading and I....well, I went and worked out. AGAIN. Wohoo! Miracles do happen. But again you couldn't beat the view. if you went and never went to the workout room...you gotta go next time...it's specacular as you are cruising along.

Today was Palo Brunch day, so when I got back from working out Mike and I took the kids up to topsiders for Breakfast. Yes I ate. Yes it was stupid. But something about all the bacon you want and a big bowl of syrup to dip it in. Yes DW thinks I'm gross too.

Nick piled his plate up with Bacon (That's my boy), and discovered what he is still calling his bacon book. He could open and shut it (yes, like a book). Yeah. Ah to be young again :rolleyes1 .

During this time DW took advantage of the downtime and found a big double recliner near the adult pool and overlooking the ocean to read her book. Must be nice. I don't think I ever found that time. No, I'm not jealous! I'm not, I'm not, I'm not!!! :blush:

Mike and I kicked the kids into the club (Nick and Chris got to do dodgeball on the sports deck again...which they were psyched for (I believe the term is "wicked cool". Yes, we are from New England). Connor and Kathryn had mousketeer training...I have no idea what that means. I mean, consider that Britney Spears was a mousketeer and she and everything (I mean everything) was splashed about the internet. you could even see...oh nevermind :rolleyes1 .

Deanna, Kim, Mike and I headed to Heaven on 11. Palo. What a great place. There was this cheese from France that was to die for...the pizza is great...I like Caviar, so I enjoyed alot of that, and the deserts were great too. We took a picture of Mike and Kim...

P1010147-1.jpg
here they are with their free drink from the server...who's name I can't come up with at the moment.

I think they took pics of us...but we haven't gotten all of theirs yet...so you will have to suffer without. soooo sorry. :)

So after an hour and a half or so they rolled us out the door (I haven't ever eaten that much in my life. I can't believe I had Bacon for breakfast...but yum...bacon and syrup...yum....oh wait, back to the story). We picked the kids up and got them lunch on Deck 9.

Mike and I manned the kids and hit the pools. It was a constant parade between shallow and disgusting and deep, dangerous and disgusting. But we had a good time. Eventually that got a bit old, but Mike did bring Beer. woohoo! :drinking1

Deanna and Kim sat and read their books. again. hmmmm??? :scratchin , and then they took Connor and Kathryn to the Luau party in the clubs. While they were gone we hit the foosball tables...

P1010150-1.jpg
Nick and Chris were taking on some people I didn't know...and most likely will never know as we didn't even get pictures.

P1010149-1.jpg
Mike and I went head to head. it was ugly, brutal. Names were called.

As I am really bad keeping a consistant timeline, at some point we did ship wandering. Remember how I said you had to get at least one porthole shot with the kids and/or you in it?

P1010144.jpg

P1010143.jpg

P1010141-1.jpg

can you say overkill?? (insert...I wrote this before posting. did you know there is a limit to the number of pictures? I had 3 other porthole pictures to subject you to, but had to remove them! bummer!)

Anyway, I was in picture heaven. I love just wandering for good picture opportunities. As we passed through the lobby, I spotted the opportunity of a lifetime and grabbed it.

P1010140-1.jpg

I LOVE this picture. Now, let's just say that we waited 10 minutes for a empty elevator. it was insane. Finally I sent Mike and the kids down to 1 to ride UP figuring they might get an empty one. No such luck. However, during the time that they were gone, 3 elevators stopped on that level completely empty. :badpc: . the best laid plans of mice and men :smooth:

so then it was time for Formal night. time to get gussied up. Now we chose to have the early seating, and got 5:30 to boot. We were happy about it in general...but getting all dressed up for a 5:30 formal dinner is interesting. Plus we had to be downstairs at 5 to do pictures. sheesh! But the pictures turned out nice...in my opinion.

FormalnightwithCaptain.jpg
us with the Captain. A must if you cruise. I don't know why, as he will never remember us. but we looked cool.

formalwithmickeystatue.jpg
The eternal shot in front of Mickey. This is one picture I would miss if I ever go on the Wonder...it's just too cool.

formalwithrailing.jpg
up on deck with the moon in the background...it's picture perfect...almost like it was a prop set up in the lobby. huh.

Dinner was a blur...mainly because Nick's ear started hurting him really bad (it had started in Key West). So I scooted up to one of the shops and bought him some swimmer's ear stuff. Now, I knew that Nick didn't have swimmers ear. Nick is a hypochondriac. I am also pretty sure I spelled that wrong. But anyway, he will be hurting really bad one minute...then off to play the next, pain forgotten until he has to do something he doesn't want. Sound familiar? Before Nick and I left, though, we did get some cool pics:

P1010005.jpg
Nick and Chris...don't they look nice???

P1010010.jpg
Connor finally tries the mickey bar, with a few sprinkles. note, however, that he still has his pile of chocolate chip cookies, just in case. Ever wonder how much food gets wasted on those ships???

So amazingly the drops cured Nick when he found out that he could go play dodgeball again. So they went up there, Connor and Kathryn went to Pumba's PJ party. The adults had some hanging out time. I don't know what we did to be honest, but I can be pretty sure that it involved a visit to Shutters (not what you were expecting was it? Dirty minds!)

Mike and I picked up Nick and Chris and went to see Invincible which was playing while we were onboard. Good movie if you haven't seen it. It does drag in the middle...and is pretty predictable...it's a feel good Disney flick. But we enjoyed it.

The Ladies picked up the younger set and headed to the Golden Mickeys. After we were all going to go see the comedians/jugglers from the night before in the adult show. About 10 minutes into The Golden Mickey's Connor fell asleep. Now, I've seen the Golden Mickeys, and I know that alot of you out there think it's a great show. But his falling asleep is pretty much how I feel about it. :) Kathryn fell asleep not long after. Kim and Deanna decided they were tired to and went to bed.

Mike and I went to Rockin' Bar D (wondering where Rockin' Bar C is) and found 4 seats. I called up and found out they weren't coming. Mike and I decided to stay anyway...and...well, another dud. The adult shows just aren't that good. So we grabbed the boys and headed back to the room for some shut-eye.

Our Towel animal:

P1010023-1.jpg

My exhausted younger Son:

P1010024.jpg

Not a bad day all-in-all. I apologize for the length of time between posts...I'll try not to let WPASADI get in the way...but we are building a new disney ship...and that is just going to keep us busy!

thanks for struggling along with me!

Next up: Chapter 11: Turtles for Breakfast!

Hi there! I just wanted to stop in and tell you how much I am enjoying reading your trip report. I just got back from a 4-night cruise (without my family) and have now booked a 4-night for next October (with DH, DD-8 and DD-9) -- I am considering changing to a 7-night Western, but haven't decided yet. In any case, I'm a new poster, but wanted to say thanks for the great report. Can't wait for more.

Thanks for the great report; really looking forward to the rest!

DisneyZell said:
formalwithrailing.jpg
up on deck with the moon in the background...it's picture perfect...almost like it was a prop set up in the lobby. huh.

First of all I am glad you finally posted something. Maybe you need to change your name to SleepyZell Apprentice of the Dog. :rotfl2:

I wanted to say you have a good looking family, your kids did a good job for the formal pics, unlike some child I know, very personally, that will remain nameless. But this pose just cracks me up. It looks like the whole family is hanging over the side of the boat, walking the plank.

Disney's new ad comapaign..."Come on our Cruise and we'll push you over the side"

Yes...we had this pose too on our cruise, we just chose not to buy it...I mean invest in our Disney Magical Memories Package.

Any how, have a great Holiday and I look forward to your next installment for my Valentine's Day reading enjoyment.
GD

Glassslipper2004 said:
Hi there! I just wanted to stop in and tell you how much I am enjoying reading your trip report. I just got back from a 4-night cruise (without my family) and have now booked a 4-night for next October (with DH, DD-8 and DD-9) -- I am considering changing to a 7-night Western, but haven't decided yet. In any case, I'm a new poster, but wanted to say thanks for the great report. Can't wait for more.

I recommend it...your kids are at the perfect age for it IMHO. Glad you joined late so you haven't had to wait around like some of those less patient folks. ahem.

grumpydude said:
First of all I am glad you finally posted something. Maybe you need to change your name to SleepyZell Apprentice of the Dog. :rotfl2:

I wanted to say you have a good looking family, your kids did a good job for the formal pics, unlike some child I know, very personally, that will remain nameless. But this pose just cracks me up. It looks like the whole family is hanging over the side of the boat, walking the plank.

Disney's new ad comapaign..."Come on our Cruise and we'll push you over the side"

Yes...we had this pose too on our cruise, we just chose not to buy it...I mean invest in our Disney Magical Memories Package.

Any how, have a great Holiday and I look forward to your next installment for my Valentine's Day reading enjoyment.
GD

Thanks GD, I appreciate the laugh as I always do. I think you should pass along your add campaign suggestions to DCL, I'm sure they can use the help.

Have a good holiday yourself...I am targeting June for finishing up this bad boy.

Ok, our WPASADI ship is done, and now I finally finished reading your TR. I love the picture of your little guy conked out on the bed. My son was 13 when we cruised, and I have a picture of him just like that.

Aisling said:
Ok, our WPASADI ship is done, and now I finally finished reading your TR. I love the picture of your little guy conked out on the bed. My son was 13 when we cruised, and I have a picture of him just like that.
Thanks! always good to have my team supporting my TR!!! :)

WOW - what a great trippy so far, DisneyZell!

Note to everyone else- it's SO great to have a great writer on the WPASADI Cruise Team!

Ok - you're on break now DZ - where's the next installment????? Huh??? HUH??? (J/K!)

Kathring said:
WOW - what a great trippy so far, DisneyZell!

Note to everyone else- it's SO great to have a great writer on the WPASADI Cruise Team!

Ok - you're on break now DZ - where's the next installment????? Huh??? HUH??? (J/K!)

My team is going to make me do the website next...so I have to get it ready to go! I realized I had not set it up...that would have sucked on teh 26th!

thanks for the kind words :)

Chapter 11: Turtles for Breakfast!
Hi all! hope you had a great Christmas, and a great New Years! We've been busy with family visiting us from California, work, and of course WPASADI. If your not following WPASADI, your cruise team has made it through the first two rounds and is now hard at work on the third challenge. it's EXTREMELY time consuming, but also very rewarding. We have an awesome team, made up of many folks you know from these boards.

Anyway, so last time I wrote, which I believe was back in 1985, we had just had a day at sea. did I share how much I love days at sea? so much to do on the boat, and a far more relaxed pace when you don't have to rush to get off and on the ship at a specific time.

As preparation for our day in Grand Cayman, we had reserved a rental car to drive around the island. If you have a larger party, I highly recommend this. Naturally you can use a cab to get around, but we had 8 people, so the cost of the cab would have been more than the cost of renting a car…and probably just one way to the beaches. We rented from Budget and for around $100 we got the car, unlimited mileage (uh…the island isn’t that big…so don’t know that this mattered!), and they also didn’t charge us for gas. Splitting that with two families worked out really well, and as I’m cheap…it was perfect! Other than reading the boards, that was the only prep we did.

So Deanna woke up early again as she always did and plopped on the Balcony to read her book. One thing that I wanted to note here…because it’s just fun…is that Deanna originally didn’t think the balcony was a necessity, yet she probably spent more time on it than anyone else with her 2 or so hours each morning reading. I’m just sayin’! :rolleyes1

So she was up by 5:30, the sun came up at 6, and I arrived sometime shortly thereafter to read my book as well (ok, ok, I did get SOME use out of the Balcony :cloud9: ). We could see the lights of Grand Cayman off in the distance which was pretty cool. This, to me, is one of the better things about being on a cruise ship. If you stay in a hotel and wake up in the middle of the night, first you probably can’t go outside without getting dressed, and even if you do happen to be rich enough to have a hotel room with a balcony it won’t be showing different things day by day. I LOVE this and it’s one reason we are fans of cruising.

Mickey finally called around 7:30 and woke everyone up.

*****TIP********ALERT*****TIP COMING******

Since I’m taking the better part of a year writing this TR, I don’t know if I mentioned Mickey calling. If you have kids, and you brought them (ahem, sleepydog), you absolutely must have a wakeup call every day. There is something just very cool about hearing Mickey’s voice in the morning when you wake up. He is so chipper and happy…well, ok, if you were hung over, perhaps a chipper mouse voice wouldn’t be the first thing you would want :lmao:

Topsiders was our destination for breakfast, another plate of bacon piled high and a big bowl of syrup to dip it in. yum! Where else can you get away with that? Do you have any idea how embarrassed I would be to order a big bowl of syrup to dip my bacon in? But when you do a buffet, especially on the Disney Cruise, you can shrug your shoulders and say:

“Yeah, my kids eat weird things when they are on vacation” :thumbsup2

After breakfast we had to go to the Buena Vista Theater. Why, you ask? Well, Grand Cayman is a tendering port, which means you have to get off the big boat, and ride on a smaller boat over to the island. Why can’t you just walk down and get on the smaller boat? Again, an excellent question, I am so glad that you have joined me for the TR today. I have no idea. I supposed it is so you don’t have to wait in line for the tender…even though we had to wait in line to get into the theater, and then sit and wait for it to be our turn to go down to the tender. That’s a lot of waiting. They did have a movie playing on the big screen…but naturally not one was paying attention to it (frankly I don’t remember what it was…possibly Toy Story?) and so you couldn’t hear it anyway since everyone was buzzing with excitement.

So we finally got our number and headed out the door to wait in line to get on the Tender. Wait, WHAT? Why do I wait down here anyway. OK, so in general this is an area that in my opinion could be improved. Certainly not the end of the world…but there has to be an easier way. Maybe Disney should build 5 islands, and just go there…never visiting any other ports. That’s just my thinking at this point!

We had brought lots of beach type stuff with us…shovels, plastic toys, as well as snorkeling gear. We figured that all this stuff would be good to bring with us to the beach. It all fit into a airline sized rolling piece of luggage, so we were the only people who go onto the tender with luggage. We got some interesting looks. Not to mention it wasn’t the easiest thing to haul around. I have done some stupid things in my life (just ask DW), but this ranks right there. Way to much stuff for a little trip to the beach. I think that I considered the fact that we would have a rental car and figured that would make a difference…but what I didn’t consider is I had to get it on the tender, get it off the tender, roll it to where we would pick up the rental car, take it out on the beach (yeah, doesn’t roll well on the beach :headache: ) But I digress.

P1010033.jpg
Connor on the Tender

P1010034.jpg
Nick on the Tender

P1010032-1.jpg
Cool Nick and Connor picture which may, or may not have been taken on Grand Cayman day, however it’s cute, and I’m sticking it in here. If you don’t like it, I’ll refund the money you have paid so far. :wave2:

The tender over really wasn’t that big of a deal. It was neat to see the other cruise ships docked, and our little landing spot seemed a lot nicer than the ones for Carnival :snooty:
We made it to shore and crawled off the boat, yes with me dragging my suitcase. It was like I was staying on the island for a week, not for several hours!

Deanna figured out a spot to give Budget a call and we were told to wait by the Hard Rock Café. Quick digression (cause it’s what I do). When we were in Key West DNH had to go find the Hard Rock Café and look at t-shirts. It was a necessity. Very important to walk in 100% humidity several extra blocks to do that (ok, so it was on our way back…but that doesn’t make the story interesting, does it???). So here we were:

P1010035.jpg
Us in front of the Hard Rock Café

Did DNH want to go in and look at T-shirts? Noooooooooo. Hmmmmm.

***NOTE*** I had to split this into two...I had too many pictures! imagine that!

Anyway, after a few minutes the van arrived. Somehow we never ended up taking a picture of the van but it was a 10 passenger van, I believe by Hyundai. It was quite nice, fit us all in well (along with my suitcase). The drivers side was the same as the drivers side here, so that worked out, and I was nominated to drive. The funny thing about that is that everyone I know complains about my driving (too fast, too erratic…stop almost running off the road, no picking your nose and wiping it on the dashboard….oh wait, that one you didn’t need to know about), yet somehow I always get nominated to drive. This has plagued me my entire life, from back when I was a kid. Of course I had to peddle the car, and walk both ways uphill to school, but that is a story for another time, and certainly does NOT belong in a trip report.

So we piled in and it was time to go to Hell. Darn it, another digression. I forgot to tell a story when writing my day at sea portion of the TR. Knowing we were going to Grand Cayman the next day, I had a diabolical plan. Our Neighbors are somewhat religious, not overzealous by any stretch of the imagination, but they take that stuff seriously (not that I don’t…oh crap this isn’t coming out right, but hopefully you will understand). So that night at dinner I waited for DNH to give me a hard time (a regular occurrence, which I have a hard time with because I’m mr. innocent :rolleyes1 ). When he did, I looked him straight in the eye, pointed at him (for effect you know) and said, loud enough for our whole table to hear)

“That’s it, tomorrow your going to Hell”.

Ok, so maybe it wasn’t that funny. But DNS9 was extremely concerned about why I would say that to his dad. Funny, looking back I think maybe that wasn’t the best use of my judgment. Seemed right at the time. Huh.

So we headed to Hell. Hell is not a large place. Actually saying it is not a large place really doesn’t give it the justice that it deserves. It’s tiny. Two little stores and a whole bunch of cool looking rocks, picture opportunities and post cards. Lots of witty sayings like “I went to hell and BACK” and such things as that.

P1010038-1.jpg
Connor and Nick in Hell

P1010040.jpg
Connor is the Devil in Hell

P1010039.jpg
Nick is the Devil in Hell

If you rent a car, I recommend you go there, just to say that you have done it. If you do not rent a car, please do me a favor and do NOT waste your money on a cab ride there. Two seconds and you are out of there. So there you go.

Our next mapped out destination was the Turtle Farm. I thought this was going to be neat as I figured we were visiting a place that repopulates the worlds Sea Turtles. DS8 (Nick) is a big animal lover, so I figure he is going to love this place. He is defacto a animal conservationist so I figure that plays together well.

Ahem. Well did you know that on Grand Cayman they EAT the turtles??? Like the title says, Turtles for breakfast. So I suppose in a lot of ways where we were going is like going to a cattle farm and playing with the cattle. Except these were smaller, slimy and you could pick them up. Don’t get me wrong…I’m not the squeamish type, so I don’t have any idea why the idea of eating turtle bothers me. Strange.

Anywhooooooo, we arrived at the Turtle Farm and paid admission. Yup, admission. Boy they sure have you there, don’t they? They charge admission AND they charge you for food. To feed the turtles. That they are going to sell for food. What a great racket. Clearly I’m in the wrong business. I’m moving to Cayman and going into the turtle business. It was about $50 for two adults, two children and two bags of food. Once you go in, it is laid out kind of like a small aquarium. In the middle was a giant pool with the large sea turtles. This is where you go to feed the turtles and we did our part. They swim over and eat away. If you have never seen Sea Turtles, it is a cool opportunity to see them up close and personal, real personal as you will see in a moment.

During this time there were many tours that came through. I would assume this is an excursion. Let me give you another tip…don’t pay for an excursion to the Turtle Farm, rent a car and go on your own. It will be cheaper, and you can latch onto a tour and listen to what the people say…and it won’t cost you a dime (other than the $50 you paid to get in), plus if you rent a car you don’t have to drag your %#^%@%%^$ suitcase with you.

Next we went to the left to the tanks with the younger turtles. Now I was a bit shy at first, not knowing what to do other than maybe petting them. Then one of those tour people I was mentioning came along and started yanking turtles out of the water. Once you get them out you hold them by the shell, but if you only hold them by the shell they start flapping their little flippers around…and they are STRONG! Oh, and the shell is sharp. So be careful. However, we were taught a secret. Look around…is not one else watching? Come closer to the screen….a little closer…ok, perfect. You can stroke them under their chin and then will calm down immediately. No flapping, and no cutting of your hands and arms with their shell. Shhhhhhhhhhhh don’t tell anyone. :ssst:

Here are the cute pictures:

P1010048.jpg
Nick with a Turtle. Told you he loved animals. He ended up with his entire shirt soaked because he kept pulling the turtles out of the water.

P1010050-1.jpg
Connor was harder as these little guys were heavy. So he needed some help, and some convincing that it was ok to hold them.

P1010054-1.jpg
Look at this good looking guy! And yes, that’s me hold him.

This next picture might take a bit of explaining. Some of you have read about RASUL from some of the other posters. I am not 100% sure what it means, but can infer from their posts. Let me just say right now that DW and I did not engage in RASUL, so I was forced to look elsewhere for my loving. ‘nuff said.

P1010057.jpg
She was slimy, but satisfying.

So after we got our $50 worth of viewing turtles we headed to the gift shop to donate more of our money. We bought a Christmas Ornament (which was very cool), and both kids bought something as well. Our Neighbors had similar experiences, and then we were ready to head back out. We asked someone about lunch and they pointed us down the main road (which would happen to bring us past the beach we would ultimately go to) to a bar. No idea what the name was…but it was basically a sports bar, nothing to write home about. We got some Nachos, and some drinks (the beer was quite good I must say).

Then it was time for the beach. We had heard that we should go to the 7 mile beach across from the Courtyard. We headed there and found a spot to park right next to the beach, hopped out (yes, with the suitcase in tow), and found our spot. Timing was everything for us here…I think that a lot of folks came right to the beach from the ship and got lounge chairs, etc. There were tons of them by the time we were there and the beach was fairly empty. It was fabulous, we basically had a place to ourselves. The water was warm and very clear. We even saw a stingray! There were also lots of little fish that provided quite the entertainment as the kids thought they could trap them. Needless to say we did NOT have sushi that day.

P1010062-1.jpg
Nick and Chris in the water

P1010063-1.jpg
Connor and Kathryn enjoyed the beach. Actually Connor more than Kathryn, our neighbors aren’t big play in the sand people while I enjoy building sandcastles and Connor enjoys destroying sandcastles. We are a good pair. ;)

P1010065-1.jpg
aren’t we cute???

Nick and Chris spent the majority of the time there snorkeling around (aha! Someone use all the crap that I lugged around). It was difficult at times to keep track of them, I think next time I’m going to buy bright orange snorkels or tie a float to their backs or something.

After a couple of hours it was 2:40 and it was time to head back to the ship. The last Tender was around 4:30, and we had to return the rental car. So we packed our luggage and brought everything back to the van. Mike and I dropped everyone off back by the Tender and went off on our quest to return the car. So, one thing I need to mention here is that I am not the best at directions. Let’s face it, I would get lost in a box. Mike is only marginally better at direction than I am…yet somehow we ended up with the job of getting the car back. And the added pressure that if we were late we would miss the ship…be stuck on a beautiful tropical island with no kids…warm water and sand. Thinking back, perhaps we tried a bit too hard to make it back in time.

So we wandered the streets and actually found the rental car place fairly easily. We stopped in the parking lot to pick up some Cuban Cigars (yeah…I’m a real rebel) for smoking later. Remember all that alcohol that I brought onto the ship with the intention of drinking? Similar experience with the Cigars. They were a fabulous idea…and I really would have enjoyed it, but finding the time just didn’t happen. Waste of some money…but it is pretty cool just to be able to say I bought Cubans. :cool1:

The rental car place drove us back to the Hard Rock Café (another part of their service) and we were there with plenty of time to spare (over an hour!), so we did what any good husband would do when presented with the opportunity to rush back early. We hit the bar. We had a beer and enjoyed each other’s company for a bit, and then wandered over to the launch so we could tender back to the ship. We got on the Tender and it headed back when….wait for it….the ships horn blew. HOLY CRAP! They only do that when they are ready to leave. Luckily we were actually on the tender and they didn’t leave without us. How ironic would that beer at the Hard Rock have been then???

We got back and took showers and dressed…tonight was a big night for us…for it was…PALO! Woohoo! We took the kids up to deck 9 and fed them (pizza and chicken strips, what else?). Then we went to do pictures…cause that is what you do when you are on the boat and dressed. How else would Shutters survive?

P1010071-1.jpg
Nick, Connor and Mickey!

P1010075-1.jpg
Nick, Connor and Donald! Donald had been Connors favorite for a while, recently replaced by Stitch. But we still like him.

Then it was off to the clubs and lab with the kids so we could have some adult time. When we got up to Palo it was kind of funny because there were people waiting. We got quizzed by the guy behind the desk if we had requested a server (which we hadn’t), and then our server from brunch came rushing up all excited to see us. Apparently he had taken the liberty of putting his name on us…AND saving us a very cool table so we didn’t have to wait. You really can’t beat that. I really wish I could remember his name. I do know he was from India, and was really nice.

P1010081.jpg
All of us at Palo

I think we have all read about the great service at Palo, right? Well, this guy took it one step further. He looks at me and immediately says, “is your finger all better now? No more cast?”. If you read earlier I mentioned my broken finger. This guy had seen me once for brunch and remembered that. I was amazed. Yes I realize he probably simply wrote it down…but it was that extra magical touch that makes Disney…well, Disney.

We had all kinds of food, Procietto Pizza, Margherita Pizza, Calamari, Filet Mignon, and of course we had to have the Chocolate Soufflé which I won’t even try to explain to you. It’s like you have died and gone to creamy rich, cakey chocolate heaven. Unless you get the vanilla sauce  All in all the food was fabulous and we ate like pigs (as expected).

Trying to enjoy our time without kids we headed to a show, Mickey Mania. This is like a quiz show where you go on stage and compete. So they told us to be loud. We were loud. They wanted to know who wanted to play…we wanted to play. They told us you had to have a kid with you. What a disappointment. Now I know what Sleep feels like. So we skulked out of there and went to the lobby…and would find none other than Mickey and Minnie!

P1010084.jpg
All of use with the king and queen of the seas.

So here we are…4 adults with no kids…There are so many possibilities, some involving lotions and such…what do we do now???

P1010086.jpg

Yup, we look at pictures. That little shop of horrors. I’m pretty sure you have the ability to mortgage your house so you can buy more pictures. They have low rates there as well.

The biggest benefit of looking at the pictures is that Mike has the uncanny ability to make interesting expressions in almost all of his pictures. I don’t know that any of us (Mike included) has laughed that hard in a long time. I can’t really describe it…so most likely it’s not that funny to you.

It was time…we picked up the kids and headed back to go to bed. A long, but great day in Grand Cayman…with so many more ahead. Oh, and of course a towel animal…

P1010088-1.jpg
A Stingray for us…by the way…don’t forget to eat the chocolates.

That’s it folks…Clearly I haven’t written in a while…I wanted to split this episode in two…but DW came to your defense since it’s been forever since I posted. So here you go, hope you enjoy!

Next up: Chapter 12 Swimming with Dolphins

Hi DisneyZell....I am trying to get caught up on your trippie & just have to read your last post & I'm there.

I had a great time on my 4 day cruise & can't believe we have been back already almost 3 weeks. I am writing a trippie too & that is why it's taking me so long to catch up on yours & all my other favorite threads.

We booked a 7 night eastern while on board for Oct 27, 2007 so I will get to experience the Magic soon!

Thanks for such a great report....Happy New Year too!!!!

I'm off to read about the turtles.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter