Western Magic 10/21/06 - 10/28/06 Trip Updated 6/21 Chapter 17: the final chapter!

DisneyZell

Likes Adventures on the High Seas
Hi all! So we are just back from the 10/21 magic, and this is the beginning of our trip report. This is the first time I have done one of these, and don't think it's possible to be nearly as funny as many of the ones I have read...but either way I'll give you what I got, take it or leave it! I promise if you are not satisfied I will refund the full amount of admission.

A couple of side notes as I get going...

I have to give acknowledgement to other writers of trip reports. One that I particularly enjoy is Sleepydog25. His trip report can be found here:

Sleepydog25's trip report

Just to acknowledge now, in case I forget later, I will make use of various terms that have been coined by other writers. For example: Shub (not quite a shower, and not quite a tub).

I give credit to Grumpdude for Shub. When I read his trip report and came accross this term I almost ruined my keyboard with the soda that I spit out. Here is alink to his trip report, I highly recommend this one as well:

Grumpydude's Trip Report

To Grumpydude, Sleepydog25 and anyone else whom I may steal anything from, please don't take offense to my use of your terms, take it as a compliment. I will try my best to give credit when credit is due...but from my perspective, anyone who writes a trip report is my hero because I spent hours (and I really mean hours) reading them, and using them for tips for my cruise.
But I digress.

The Beginning...

To begin this adventure we need to go back in time almost exactly two years ago. At that time we had just moved to New England and before we moved we planned a Disney Cruise on the Magic with our former neighbors (Don't worry, this will all make sense shortly :wave2: ). We had a blast. Sorry, no trip report. Either that section didn't exist, or more likely I didn't know there was such a thing as trip reports.

Fast forward to last May (2006). We had put our house on the market with every intention on relocating to Raleigh, NC. In May, DW and DN (Disney Neighbor :thumbsup2 ) were talking and came up with a grand plan to go on the Disney Cruise in October.

We thought this quite fitting given that the last time we moved we went on DCL with our former neighbors. Can anyone think of a better tradition???

And so we hatcher our evil scheme :stir: : we would plan the trip and not tell our children (ours: DS7, DS3 (he turned 4 in July) Theirs: DS9 and DD6). Our thinking was that we would have moved (it was May, our house had been on the market for 2 months...we figured by mid summer we would be in Raleigh), and that this would be a chance for the kids to see each other again (DS7 and DS9 are the best of friends).

So we picked a date. The last time we cruised we went two years ago during the worst hurricane season ever, and somehow managed to squeak between several hurricanes to get a good Cruise in. Being the risk takers we are, we figured we would try it again, shooting for 10/21. There was also that little thing called school to worry about :rolleyes1

We kicked around who to book with, but finally just went directly through Disney. We tried a couple other places, but the prices were the same, so we figured why switch? (more on that later).

So let me tell you now that Deanna is about the best planner when it comes to Disney things. Add to that the fact that we had already done this whole shooting match once, and you get the picture. This was not one of those vacations where you book it and forget it until you get on the boat...nope, this was 5 months of planning, scheming, preparing and dieting.

oh yeah...about this time I decided it would be nice to not have all that extra weight to carry around with me. So the husband side of the neighbor family (Mike) and I decided to put together a contest. we would weigh in once a week and the winner each month would have a dinner cooked by the other neighbors (whatever the winner wanted). I actually did pretty well, dropped 20 pounds by the time of the cruise...needless to say I won the first month and someone decided he didn't want to play that game anymore...harumph!

So finally everything was set. Our DN's were going down a few days early to hit Disney, we were flying down on Friday afternoon. We decided to go to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party (yes, we were one of the reasons it sold out!) before we got on the boat.

Note: A lesson learned from the first cruise. After our first cruise we thought it would be cool to stay on property and hit DisneyWorld for a couple days. Quite possibly the biggest mistake of our lives...and waste of money. it was hot, we were all tired, it was packed, and we didn't spend much time there. I don't remember which resort we stayed at, but the pool kind of stunk (it was cold), and generally that just wasn't good. I highly recommend you NOT go to Disney after a 7 day cruise...just get home!

The rest of the planning I won't bore you with, some may make it into the trip report as I go along.

Next up: Last minute preparations and the big fat white lie

DisneyZell said:
Note: A lesson learned from the first cruise. After our first cruise we thought it would be cool to stay on property and hit DisneyWorld for a couple days. Quite possibly the biggest mistake of our lives...and waste of money. it was hot, we were all tired, it was packed, and we didn't spend much time there. I don't remember which resort we stayed at, but the pool kind of stunk (it was cold), and generally that just wasn't good. I highly recommend you NOT go to Disney after a 7 day cruise...just get home!

Great Tip! We tried something similar after our last cruise and stayed over two days. It wasn't hot or crowded, but we were so ready to be home. I was ready to have a routine again. On our next cruise, we're going to go to FL 3 or 4 days early and then go on the cruise to relax and recover . . .LOL

DisneyZell said:
Just to acknowledge now, in case I forget later, I will make use of various terms that have been coined by other writers. For example: Shub (not quite a shower, and not quite a tub). Please don't take offense to my use of your terms, take it as a compliment. I will try my best to give credit when credit is due...but from my perspective, anyone who writes a trip report is my hero because I spent hours (and I really mean hours) reading them, and using them for tips for my cruise.

I used Shub in my report...I actually took that from one of the comedians on our cruise...so it is fair game.

I too have been following Sleepy's and I cannot believe he was able to sit down in the shub. Heck I had to get out and turn around just to wash my back in that thing. Let alone taking a "water conservation shower" as I have read on other TRs.

Now you are my hero as I can read your TR.

GD

Sorry about that Grumpdude, it was you...and here is the other thing that I will steal from you:

"Mr. KIA advises he must now use the bathroom. Off we go in search of one. How convenient, there is one right outside the entrance. He enters the stall and I hang out over by the sink. Then, from inside the stall, there is this tremendous WHOOSH. The air pressure in the room drops by like 20 mm of Hg. What the…Mr. KIA are you still in there? My question is answered as Mr. KIA come busting out of the stall with eyes as big as dinner plates. “Dad, what is up with that toilet?” Now remember, none of had ever been on a cruise and had experienced cruise plumbing. So off we both go back into the stall to experiment. WHOOSH, WHOOSH, WHOOSH, WHOOSH. How cool is this. I swear Mr. KIA to secrecy about the Super Suck-O-Matic Cruise toilet. "

Super Suck-O-Matic. if ever there was a perfect description, that is it. Note that I added a link to your trip report as an edit to my first entry...I couldn't remember where I saw Shub, so didn't give you credit, but I have very much enjoyed your stories as well!!

Thanks so much! :banana:

Last minute preparations and the big fat white lie

If you started reading this before today note that I changed a few things in my original installment...including what the next chapter would be. If I skipped the last week before our vacation you might miss some vital facts...and we can't have that!!! :rotfl2:

As we approached the end of September we had a major shift in the home life. I accepted another job, put in my notice, recieved a counter offer and ultimately stayed with my company. However as a part of this we decided to cancel the move to Raleigh (yes, 7 months later our house was still on the market. Talk about annoying!!). So our original thought of doing a Disney Cruise every time we move was out the window.

I mentioned earlier this whole trip was a surprise to my kids. One thing that threw a wrench into that plan (and yes, we made it from May without spilling the beans directly. I can't tell you how many times we did spill the beans, luckily they were a bit clueless and never figured out. Also, DS4 had not idea, and we could even talk with him there and he would have no idea!).

DS7 played pee wee football for the first time this year. Unfortunately we had planned the trip prior to getting him involved in football (remember that we were going to move to Raleigh, and we had planned on doing Football there, but it never crossed our minds that football would still be going on at the end of October). We wanted him to know this was his last game, so we hatched another diabolical plan :stir: (I just love this icon by the way). We decided we would tell him a big fat white lie so he would know that we would not be home for his last game...so that he would play his hardest the game before.

He has always wanted to go to Washington DC, so this became the focus of our lie. after the fact it was pointed out to us that DC could just as easily be Disney Cruise (we never actually said Washington DC, only that we were going to DC). So maybe we didn't lie??? :smooth:

Anyway, he was very excited about that, played in his last game and was none the wiser.

Do any of you recall the flurry of activity the week before 10/21 around shipping water to the cruise? I was one of the causes of that. After reading about ordering from Staples and having them ship for free I figured I'd give it a try. Apparently a ton of other folks did as well. In addition to the water we ordered some snacks (read that: candy) for the boat.

While everyone else got notified toward the end of that week that they could not ship the water, we were not notified and we held out hope that we might have water waiting for us on the boat. I'd tell you what happened, but you are just going to have to wait for the first day before I'll tell you if the water arrived or not!!!

The rest of the week was spent on last minute preparations, door signs, packing, last minute trips to Wal-Mart for that thing in the bathroom that keeps the place from stinking (literally last minute, as in we picked up DS4 from his school, stopped by Wal-Mart, picked up DS7, and then went to the airport), boarding the dog, etc., etc.

Next up: From Manchester, NH to Orlando WITHOUT our DVD players! :scared1:

I give credit to Grumpdude for Shub. When I read his trip report and came accross this term I almost ruined my keyboard with the soda that I spit out. Here is alink to his trip report, I highly recommend this one as well:
That is why you mus'nt libate during reading of the trip reports. BTW, thanks for the plug.

Super Suck-O-Matic
Now that is just plain funny. I am just finishing remodeling our bathroom and I put a new toilet in about 2 weeks ago with a pressure tank. Sounds very similiar all though you do not feel the breeze like on the cruise. I have named the new one I just put in; Super Suck-O-Matic Junior. LOP really can't wait to move now because every time someone flushes...I just laugh and laugh at her.

Do you fly the Southwest jaunt from Manchester to Philly to Raleigh? I am on that flight about once per month (Philly to Raleigh) and I always wondered who goes on to Manchester.

Now please continue your report.

GD

Can't wait to hear all about the activities with the kiddos! thanks for sharing!

sorry for the delay everyone, life is getting in the way of the DIS! hard to believe I know!

I'm working on a video for my son's football team, it's been about 13 hours or so over the past week. I should be done tomorrow, and then on with the trip report!!

:cool1:

Just when I thought I was getting my life back, I clicked on your link, and WHOOOSH - Super Suck-O-Matic pulled me in to another TR. Your report is helping with my grumpydude and fatherforce withdrawals. Keep it coming!

Thank you! :teeth:

I 've been waiting so long for a new installment from sleepydog, when what should I find but a TR from Disneyzell :banana: :banana:
A great start but tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap this is me impatienently tapping my foot, waiting for more

OK, I apologize profusely (no idea what that means, but it sounds good) for the delay. I, unfortunately, don't have as good an excuse as some of the other TR writers (something about dancing with a daughter in Indiana at a school, not sure if that's true, it has a funny ring to it though). Now that I'm done with my son's football video (something like 10 hours of work...sheesh, but it turned out cool.), I can move on to this ever so important TR. You do get the added bonus of pictures today, because I think I have figured that out. no promises, but we shall see :yay:

Now, I have seen in a few reports some comments about length, and how long it took the people to write their TR's. In the interest of those who don't have alot of time, here is the short version of my TR. If you are going to read the long version, you might want to skip the next 20 lines or so, I would hate to see you have the ending spoiled by those that just can't wait.

We flew.
We Landed.
We boarded.
We got off the boat.
We got on the boat.
We got off the boat.
We got on the boat.
We got off the boat.
We got on the boat.
We got off the boat.
had good time.
We flew home.

now, I apologize if I have ruined it for everyone, but I felt that it needed to happen. Now, on with the story...

Chapter 3: From Manchester, NH to Orlando WITHOUT our DVD players!

It was the day before we had to leave. To catch you up, DS4 has no idea we are going anywhere (and luckily he is not quite old enough to get it anyway), and DS8 thinks we are going to DC. So packing was done with a bit of stealth (we didn't know at what point DS8 would point out that perphaps 15 bags were not necessary for a weekend trip to DC).

I was the typical husband that ignored the packing, hoping it would go away and just pack on it's own. The interesting thing was that it did! I went upstairs and there were suitcases all packed! Crazy. DW was there, and I asked the obvious question:

"Where are my things?"

Silence, and THE LOOK. Husbands, you all know exactly what those looks are. Naturally, I was kidding :rolleyes1 . uh...yeah...I was.

So I got down to packing. I had spent my dutiful hours roaming the DIS boards, and knew that I should take what I want to pack and cut it in half. However, I also knew I wasn't going to do any laundry (two items here: 1. I'm lazy, and 2. I wouldn't want to take the time to do it, 3. I suck at doing laundry. wait that's three items...oh well). So I bridged the gap, pulled out and packed away my clothes. and we were all set.

And finally, after all the waiting...it was THE DAY!!! I had trouble sleeping Thursday night...a few people have mentioned that it's like the day before Christmas (or in this case the day before the day before boarding day). We got up, got the kids ready for school and shipped them off.

DW dashed to the kennel to drop off our dog and our neighbors dog.

***WARNING***WARNING***DIGRESSION COMING***
So, the last thing I need to do is mosey off topic, but I have to. I need to give props to our neighbors. They were smart. they went down on Wednesday before the cruise, spent a day at WDW, then had a down day, and then drove over to the port on Friday. So by the time they got on the boat they were beyond relaxed. it took me a few days to get relaxed, so I was behind. so this is a huge tip, if at all possible, go down a few days early. even if you don't do WDW, you can be in vacation mode the second you step on the ship...woohoo!

now back to our regularly scheduled program.

So we made it to the airport without much further ado.

As I have mentioned several times (or at least in my mind I have mentioned several times, if I didn't actually do that, go take a :drinking1 and relax cause I know I would like to!), I have two kids...DS4 and DS8. Every trip we have taken on the plan has always included various forms of entertainment. Video games and DVD players being the key items.

Note that both kids can sit at home and watch TV for hours at a time (not that we would ever allow them to do that :rolleyes1 ). But when we plop them on the plane, DS4 watches the movie for 3.5 seconds (I timed him) until he gets bored. So this time we decided to ditch the DVD players. This lowered the weight of our luggage by 5 pounds. Or at least our carry on luggage.

We grabbed McDonalds (there goes the diet!!!) chow down, and hop on the plane.

so now, wait for it...here it is, the first picture!!! DS4, DS8, and DW on that wonderful airline...US Scare! I mean...USair.

P1010007.jpg
[/IMG]
How I got so lucky, I have no idea. don't worry a beautiful picture of me will appear at some point in the future.

If you look closely at DS4 (he is the little one, no that isn't just perspective making him smaller), you will note what look like battle scars on his forehead. in a span of 2 days, he fell off his scooter while waiting for DS8's bus (he hasn't learned that destroying your hands is always the better choice than letting your face break your fall), and sliced his chin on the counter at Best Buy (he kept trying to climb up while I was paying, 4 times of me, being the dutiful dad and saying "please don't climb", followed by smashing his chin. Of course I poo-poo'd it, thinking he had just bonked his chin. I was trying to sign the darn credit clip. Then I look back and see a HUGE drop of blood on his chin. I melted, what a bad Dad I am! we got some band-aid's, got him patched up (yeah, some bribery too, you might say GUILT booty), and he was fine. Note that this all happened within the last couple days before we left. naturally. look for the band-aid on his chin in future pics...it lasted a while. I guess I took another digression there...)

Being that we flew on the Scare, we connected through Charlotte. We bounced off the plane, I tried to talk DW into eating again (might as well be prepared for the cruise, and besides, I hadn't eaten in months!), to no avail :confused3 . something about us just having eaten lunch. Huh.

anyway we made our way down to the gate for Orlando. Yup, Orlando, not Washington DC. DS8 starts to sing/chant like kids will do "orlando...orlando...orlando" while we are standing right next to the gate waiting to get on. We were waiting about 30 minutes before boarding and the one question I was expecting "why are we waiting to get on a plane for Orlando" didn't come until we were starting to board.

Being prepared for this, I stepped right in and answered with a completely straight face:
"we have to fly to Orlando and then drive to DC".

For those of you who are counting, this would be white lie #2. Or not, again depending on if I was referring to the Disney Cruise as DC, or Washington DC. Again, as I didn't figure out that correlation until later, yeah it was a lie. what can you do???

I do give him credit, though. He was puzzled as to why we couldn't get a flight closer than Orlando to go to DC. He clearly knew it was a long drive, but luckly had no idea that in Charlotte we were not very far from DC anyway. But again I digress.

The second plane ride was uneventful, we landed without issue in Orlando. We got off the plane, and we decided it would be a good idea to split up, sending DW with DS's to get the luggage while I went to get the Car.

Next up: Budget from hell, and MNSSHP (look it up if you don't know what that means!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter