Were you ever paddled in school?

MushyMushy

Marseeya Here!
I'm just curious. Not looking for a debate or anything of that nature. I was talking with another teacher the other day about how there's really not much we can do to punish students when all we can do is give them a 15 minute activity detention (they get a 15 min. activity period before or after lunch). Big whoop, and they seriously just laugh it off.

Anyway, I was telling him that I didn't think paddling was all that much more effective either. When I was a kid, they'd often give a student a choice between a paddling and after-school detention and the kids almost always chose the paddling. :lmao: And I know it wasn't a light smack -- they used those big thick paddles!

And yes, I got paddled once in the second grade. I still contend that it wasn't MY FAULT! :rolleyes1

Yes, In 4th grade in West Virginia...For talking too much..Can you imagone that? Me, talking too much :lmao:

I absolutely got paddled in school. It didn't help that my mother worked at the school and got to do the honors from time to time. The principal has a paddle that was hand made for her by a local wood worker that was nicknamed "Sugarboy" and was wider at the bottom near the handle, narrower at the top, and had tiny holes drilled into it. We could get quite a few swats depending on our discretions.

I haven't killed anybody...

yet. ;) :lmao:

Yes, In 4th grade in West Virginia...For talking too much..Can you imagone that? Me, talking too much :lmao:

Nah, I'm sure you weren't talking too much. You were just answering someone else, weren't you. YOu don't want to be rude, after all.

Geez, I've been around middle schoolers too much this week! :rotfl2:

I didn't get paddled but a nun grabbed one of my pigtails and SHOOK my head up and down. It hurt, I was shocked and still remember it. I also remember the same nun dragging a boy out of class by his hair.

My dad was locked in the basement of the convent. The nuns forgot about him until the evening when my grandmother went looking for him!

Frankly, I prefer the 10 second paddling to writing I will not talk in class, over and over again

Yep!

They had a special "Girls" paddle and a "Boys" paddle. :rotfl: I became well acquainted with the girlie paddle. On your 3rd trip to see the principle you would get paddled. I think first trip was a talk and 2nd trip was recess (or lunch) detention, 3rd was recess (or lunch) detention and paddle. It worked in the younger grades but in 2nd grade I was just having some 'issues'. I was usually more scared of how mad my parents would be when they found out I had been to the principle.

I was in that office so often he just gave up after a while, it was mainly for talking and inappopraite comments. I remember being sent in their for lunch since I was talking in my lunch detention. Mr. Doug just threw his hands up and began to share his spaghetti with me! It became a regular 'date' for us. I would purposely want to go see the principle at lunch just to talk and share spaghetti... so then he changed it that if I behaved I could come see him and share spaghetti. What do ya know, that worked!!

Yes, I did twice but for two different things. When I got home each time my parents gave me another one and I never did misbehave again. That's what missing in kids today no displine in the schools or at home!

(Cool Zippa D Doodah but for the Heels thing, it's not too cool.)

Not as punishment, but on our birthdays. I had one teacher (and I'm actually astonished thinking about this probably for the first time as an adult) who would put us over her knees and paddle us (lightly of course) what age we were turning. This was first grade so, like 7 times. And then she would pinch us on the bottom!!:eek: It never hurt and it was all in fun; she was a really fun teacher. Thinking about this now, I can't believe it. This was in the 80s.

Once in the third grade for not keeping my desk tidy. :rolleyes:

A friend and I were talking about this today. I remember in elementary school they had the paddle and knowing it was there was a big enough deterrent for me.

When we moved to Florida back in 1972, I couldn't figure out what kids were talking about when they said they had to go to the Principal's office for "licks".

Most kids picked the assistant principal who paddled you, because then your parents didn't find out what you did wrong. The other assistant principal didn't give licks, but she called your parents and told you what you did wrong and what your punishment was.

I was fortunate enough to not have to go through it.

Only once. I was a sophomore. It was in P.E. A group of us didn't like whatever the "sport of the week" was for a few weeks and took advantage of being well-liked by the coach by skipping out on P.E. once roll was taken. We'd go upstairs (just up from P.E., where the coach and our classmates could see us) and play fooseball in the rec room and just goof off. We did it for a few weeks.

We were the "in crowd" and at some point the less popular girls in class decided they were sick of having to take part in P.E. while we played around in the rec room, so they boycotted P.E. as well. That was the straw that broke the camel's back for the coach and she had to draw the line. She had put up with us until then, but a classwide mutiny was too much. So we got paddled.

Wouldn't you know it, I was the youngest in the group (all the others being seniors) and all of them went all superchicken! I was not looking forward to getting paddled by any stretch of the imagination, but I knew we had it coming. We had pressed our luck too far. So I sucked it up and took the first paddling. :headache: :scared1: :eek:

The coach still loved us to death, and we could tell she hated to do it, but we had pushed her into a corner. We deserved what we got. On a high note, the practice did hone our skills enough that our little group took all the top spots in the high school fooseball tournament later in the year. :rotfl2: :rotfl: :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!