Were you ever paddled in school?

Once, 5th grade. The boy that sat behind me was spitting spit wads at the back of my head. I put my spelling book behind my head and the teacher saw me do it and took me in front of the class and paddled me. TOTALLY unfair.
I was soooo afraid my mom was going to paddle me again when I got home (that was the rule at our house, in trouble at school, more trouble at home) but when I told her what had happened, she called and had a "discussion" with the teacher :worship:

Got "pops" (as we used to call them) all the time. Vice-principal was a crusty old booger who had a style that made 'em loud but didn't sting and he always had a line out his office.

I only remember one teacher that could sting with her paddle. Older granny looking type teacher and she was hard to rile, but oooooh when she was LOOKOUT! Her paddle had holes in it and was made of mahogany. Some smart-alek had engraved "Board of Education" on it.

I But then again, most forms of REAL punishment were stopped at the same time. No detention. My mother was told that "writing-off" was considered corporal punishment and couldn't be used becuase the child might get carpal tunnel! And you can't make the child sit out recess, because that's state mandated. Etc.
That's a surprise because all of these things are still used in my children's schools.

I find it very bizarre to hear stories about high school students getting paddled. That's just so far out of my realm of experience that it really surprises me.
Me too. I'm wondering if they got put over the person's knees or just had to bend over. :confused3

When I was in elementary school they stopped the paddlings. There was 1 boy who was a year ahead of me --in my brother's class-- and he was the 1 and only person whom I know that got paddled. He was baaaaad. Now not so much-LOL. We still refer to him as the boy who got paddled. OMG, the vice principal- the one who did the paddling-- was a BIG, LOUD man and that was usually enough to scare everyone. :scared1: He was really the sweetest man and his portrait still hangs at the school.

Forgot to add, when I was in high school we had several different gym teachers. There were about 3-4 male teachers and 3-4 female teachers. One of the male teachers would have the misbehaving boys --never girls-- stand with his binder in front of his chest & the teacher would punch him in the chest. That usually took care of misbehaving students. I wonder why no one ever reported him-- of course he had a bull whip he'd pull out & show kids but never used-- maybe that's what saved him.

I went to a Baptist school through the end of freshman year of high school.

There was paddling. The principal had various sizes of paddles to use and it was up to the student to choose which one.

I remember getting paddled on a couple occasions.

There was one occasion I recall that all the trouble makers were called in to the office for basically a paddling festival that lasted 2 days. Basically if you had been repeatedly in trouble several times in the recent weeks they were gong to give out a good whack in the tush instead of detentions.
One by one the bad kids got called in to the office and got a whack. Knowing ahead of time that this was going to happen, one girl who I knew decided to out wit the principal by wearing every pair of underwear she had to school that day, in order to cushion the blow!!! :laughing:
Word got around and a teacher over heard someone talking about it and they told the principal. So the girl was made to go to the bathroom and take off all the extra underwear and she ended up getting paddled twice because of her little scheme!! :laughing:

Nope.

But I was made to stand in the corner once in third grade. The girl behind me kept poking me in the back with her pencil wanting me to talk to her. I kept ignoring her, thinking she would stop, but she kept poking me. I finally got sick of it, turned around to tell her to leave me alone and the teacher made me stand in the corner. I hated that teacher after that. Still do!! :laughing:

Yes, Went to a Catholic Grade School on Long Island NY. Weapons of Choice were ( Paddle rating shows the level of pain)

Chalkboard Erasers - Used to get ones attention with a shot to the head; Rating 1 Paddle

Wood Pointer - 3/4 Inch Diameter with Rubber tip at the end, Used to whack the rear of an offender - 3 Paddles

12" Wood Ruler - Used to strike offenders palms, don't pull back otherwise next strike would be harder. - 2 Paddles

Collar Grab -- Grabbed by the back of the Collar and dragged in to classroom or area of discipline. Sometimes a frontal grab was achieved by the tie. Didn't work well with a clip on. The frontal approach was used for verbal abuse with the term "Mister" - 1/2 of Paddle

Bessy -- Bessy was a wooden paddle about 1" Thick that was used by Ms. Salvatore 5th grade teacher. Used Quickly based upon mode. 4 Paddle

Hand Slap with Diamond Engagement Ring turned inward -- Hurt like Heck and would leave a mark. Used by lay teacher. Adapted by the nuns with slaps for each syllable. Do not ever to that again you bad bad bad boy = 11 Smacks. 4 Paddles

Grab and Turn -- Grab and Turn was used by our special friend Mrs Savatore. She would grab a good chunk of hair and make you spin on the floor until the hair ripped from your head. 6 Paddles

There was one nun, who was a dwarf. She was called Mighty Midget. When you were older she would have to stand on a chair to smack you. You had to stand and wait while she got the chair.

If any of them are still alive they should be taken out and shot. I pleased to say that Ms Salvatore dropped dead of a heart attack in the classroom.

Grammar School was a torture chamber. There were some very good and nice teachers there, but there were some real nuts that were the most abusive people I have ever met.

But I was made to stand in the corner once in third grade. The girl behind me kept poking me in the back with her pencil wanting me to talk to her. I kept ignoring her, thinking she would stop, but she kept poking me. I finally got sick of it, turned around to tell her to leave me alone and the teacher made me stand in the corner. I hated that teacher after that. Still do!!

LOL...that reminds me of something that happened in 7. The girl next to me was the class clown. We were really good friends for a a while (I just moved there in the beginning of the yr) but I started realizing she was a cut-up and I was often getting i trouble by association. Well one day during a spelling test she kept poking me, making faces etc. I finally lost is and snorted when she stuck 2 pencils in her nose (might have been in her mouth between her upper lip and gums) and started impersonating a walrus. I received a 0 on the test and had to sit out in the hall for the rest of the period.

Yes, I was paddled on 3 different occasions, from 1st - 3rd grade. We always received 2 swats. If I remember correctly it wasn't that bad. I know we would fake cry after the 1st so he wouldn't hit you harder on the 2nd. Usually it was for fighting.

Really? I went to elementary school in the early 70's and I haven't noticed any difference in behavior between the classes I was in and dd's classes in the 90's.

There was paddling when I was in elementary school and, no, I was never paddled. They did end corporal punishment when I was in about 5th grade.

I find it very bizarre to hear stories about high school students getting paddled. That's just so far out of my realm of experience that it really surprises me.

Oh yeah! A lot of times, the kids would get a choice between paddling or suspension and they'd almost always choose the paddling. When I was a senior, some kid punched my boyfriend and the kid chose paddling over suspension. I remember thinking he shouldn't have had the choice at all because if he'd been suspended, he wouldn't have been able to participate in a basketball game.

No I wasn't paddled, but then I was little-miss-goody-two-shoes.

I read a great article YEARS ago about a teacher in Erie, whose students HATED his detention (he was the school detention proctor). Behavior in the school improved dramatically (middle school). Why? Did he beat them? Make them sit silently and actually work? Make them do push-ups if they misbehaved?

No. He......

....made them listen to classical music! :lmao:

I'm totally serious. I wish I could remember where and when I read this, I would post a link.

But when I've had study hall on my schedule, I would play classical music, and if the kids misbehaved/didn't have anything to do (I always had books available to read), I made them copy a random page out of the dictionary.

Nope, and I went to Catholic school, too, where everyone always claims they got beaten.

No, but I was in Catholic school and saw plenty of other kids get paddled. It was mostly boys. Girls rarely got paddled.

Yup. We had to leave the classroom as soon as we finished eating. And if we weren't done eating in so many minutes, we had to leave anyway. Outside after lunch, no matter what.

3rd grade - in the cloakroom 3 of us girls (the last ones in the room) - we were having fun. Put our hands on the shoulders of the person in front of us and skipped around the room, through the cloakroom and around again...

...then we got caught. We shouldn't have been in there at all, much less skipping.

Down to the Vice Principal, who administered 2 swats each, gave us a big lecture and made us sit on the cold, hard steps. They were next to doors and the cold air was coming in...did I mention the steps were cold?!!

Then our teacher showed up to collect us and we got another lecture. Shorter this time.

Then we had to tell our parents and got MORE lecturing.

It was fun! But it wasn't worth all that crap. We stopped skipping around the room.

I wasn't but several kids in my classes were, both in front of the rest of the class and in the principles office.

My brother on the other hand was paddled many MANY times, and it never stopped him from acting up in class. I wonder why:rotfl:

My goodness, no!! No one ever did - in any of the schools I went to. They just didn't do that. (I graduated high school in 1974.)

I went to a positively Dickensian catholic school, taught by the Sisters of Psychosis. These were some seriously warped broads. I don't think anybody got out of there unscathed.

I was never paddled, but I was humiliated in 3rd grade. I still remember it clearly, and it still makes me sick when I think about it lol. I was REALLY quiet and shy, my friend Karen had to go to the bathroom during recess. She was scared to go in by herself because the classroom lights were off during recess. The bathroom was a single person bathroom inside the classroom. I went inside with her and waited at the door (she left the door open like 6 inches and was talking to me). The teacher came in and SCREAMED at me asking me what I was doing (I was standing outside the bathroom door for crying out loud..) She dragged me by my ear to the cafeteria where the "big kids" were eating (5th and 6th graders) and loudly told the male principal that I was in her bathroom with another little girl. I don't really know what the big deal was, I wasn't really IN the bathroom, just waiting there lol . I really hated her. I don't think they ever called my mom, but I just remember wanting to throw up because I was so embarassed, and didn't really know what I did wrong.

I guess I could see if I was actually in there with her, but we were two 8 yr old girls, and I was outside of the door I didn't get it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter