We're Home From the Road!! 17 Days of Travel with Tons of Pics~COMPLETE!!

I love all of the museum photos! I can't wait to get there someday!

Can some of you NorCal/Bay Area folks send your cold, damp and foggy summer weather down my way? I have had my fill of heat -- which I never liked to begin with -- and would love to be cold! Heat makes me ill. Colder air makes me happy!:thumbsup2

Sherry,

I wish we had some to share. It's hot here now. :sad1:

I love all of the museum photos! I can't wait to get there someday!

Can some of you NorCal/Bay Area folks send your cold, damp and foggy summer weather down my way? I have had my fill of heat -- which I never liked to begin with -- and would love to be cold! Heat makes me ill. Colder air makes me happy!:thumbsup2

Thanks Sherry, I'm sure you'd love it!!!

Sherry,

I wish we had some to share. It's hot here now. :sad1:

I can't help either.....it's been low 90's almost everyday since we got home. The hottest day we had on our entire trip was 84......we timed it perfectly for our trip!! lol :rotfl:

Another nice update. I have been to the museum twice so have seen all of that but it is a really nice museum. I love to go to museums but I am not one to sit and read all the info and I like things like the downstairs better. Museums with a lot of written material and such I kind of get bored LOL. So while I think that is really well done and I very much enjoyed it not something I feel the need to return to at least for a long time. But def worth checking out if you have never been. I feel the same about Alcatraz. Loved it the first time and very interesting but I have been twice and other than taking the girls there I have no real desire to do it again.

I agree with Tiffjoy in that SF has SO much to offer but I think the typical tourist probably doesn't realize it. I of course have lived in Sac most of my life and have gone to the city many times and for us we enjoy the cool air and the beauty of the ocean and Golden Gate park. We love to walk around the fun little streets in China Town and North Beach and sure there are some seedy areas but you just have to be careful. Mom and I used to go the city every year for a xmas shopping trip at Union Square and as much as I am not a big city person either I love it at xmas with everything decorated. Neiman Marcus always has this HUGE tree that goes up the middle of the store like 9 floors or something.

It is one of those things though if you go and have a bad time it is hard to overcome and if it is something that is not important to you I can totally see not wanting to go again. I know a lot of people feel that way about Hollywood and it def has it's bad side but the last time we went we did a tour and really had fun and are doing another longer one this time. I think you just have to try and find the good and try to overlook the bad. ;)

I did go to the Reagen when they had the Disney archives.

I was actually down there at Disneyland during the time they had that going.....unfortunately, I didn't have a vehicle....so I wasn't able to go.....but I would have loved to have gone!

Another nice update. I have been to the museum twice so have seen all of that but it is a really nice museum. I love to go to museums but I am not one to sit and read all the info and I like things like the downstairs better. Museums with a lot of written material and such I kind of get bored LOL. So while I think that is really well done and I very much enjoyed it not something I feel the need to return to at least for a long time. But def worth checking out if you have never been. I feel the same about Alcatraz. Loved it the first time and very interesting but I have been twice and other than taking the girls there I have no real desire to do it again.

I agree with Tiffjoy in that SF has SO much to offer but I think the typical tourist probably doesn't realize it. I of course have lived in Sac most of my life and have gone to the city many times and for us we enjoy the cool air and the beauty of the ocean and Golden Gate park. We love to walk around the fun little streets in China Town and North Beach and sure there are some seedy areas but you just have to be careful. Mom and I used to go the city every year for a xmas shopping trip at Union Square and as much as I am not a big city person either I love it at xmas with everything decorated. Neiman Marcus always has this HUGE tree that goes up the middle of the store like 9 floors or something.

It is one of those things though if you go and have a bad time it is hard to overcome and if it is something that is not important to you I can totally see not wanting to go again. I know a lot of people feel that way about Hollywood and it def has it's bad side but the last time we went we did a tour and really had fun and are doing another longer one this time. I think you just have to try and find the good and try to overlook the bad. ;)

I found certain things at the museum they peaked my interest and tending to spend more time looking at that, where other things I just skimmed thru. I think it took Tyler the longest to go thru. I think he stopped and read everything. I had to keep up a bit of a tempo since I had Michayla and she was having some mini meltdowns......but finally got her calmed down with some upbeat CarsLand music. As long as I kept moving she was ok.

I think if Mike & I returned to SF, we'd probably look more at the "foodie" side of it. We always see restaurants highlighted on the Food Network. We actually had planned on going to the Koret Children's Quarter at the Golden Gate Park, but we ended up spending quite a bit of time at the museum (more than I thought we would)....so ended up skipping it, grabbing lunch & headed to Gilroy so we could take the kids swimming.

I am enjoying your trip report so much! I live in Santa Rosa and thought I could answer some of the questions posted.

I loved the museum....and it did feel more "homey". I'm not sure when the museum opened....but I have to wonder if he had anything to do with it...which might explain "his presence" in every room/courtyard.

Charles Schulz was involved with the planning of the museum. The groundbreaking was a few months after he passed away in 2000. The museum opened in 2002. His widow Jean is still very much involved with museum.

Guy Fieri does still live in Santa Rosa - just a few miles from the Schulz museum.

Also, for any California residents, there is a new Snoopy license plate that you can order. The proceeds will benefit California's Museums and Science Centers. http://www.snoopyplate.com/index.cfm

Sorry about your bad In and Out experience. We like 5 Guys about as much as In and Out (which is to say we think it's pretty good), but 5 Guys is markedly more expensive than In and Out.

I am hoping we get to the SF area sometime in the next couple years, and I think the Walt Disney Family Museum will definitely be on our list. I could probably get my Disney-loving brother and his wife (who live east of the Bay Area) to go with us if we helped with their small children.

PHXscuba

I am enjoying your trip report so much! I live in Santa Rosa and thought I could answer some of the questions posted.

Charles Schulz was involved with the planning of the museum. The groundbreaking was a few months after he passed away in 2000. The museum opened in 2002. His widow Jean is still very much involved with museum.

Guy Fieri does still live in Santa Rosa - just a few miles from the Schulz museum.

Also, for any California residents, there is a new Snoopy license plate that you can order. The proceeds will benefit California's Museums and Science Centers. http://www.snoopyplate.com/index.cfm

Thank you & Welcome!! :wave2: I thought I had read that Charles Schulz had been involved....just wasn't sure of the timeline....thank you for sharing that!!!

I was really hoping we'd see Guy when we stopped for lunch!!

Sorry about your bad In and Out experience. We like 5 Guys about as much as In and Out (which is to say we think it's pretty good), but 5 Guys is markedly more expensive than In and Out.

I am hoping we get to the SF area sometime in the next couple years, and I think the Walt Disney Family Museum will definitely be on our list. I could probably get my Disney-loving brother and his wife (who live east of the Bay Area) to go with us if we helped with their small children.

PHXscuba

Michayla survived the museum, but we had some mini meltdowns....luckily keeping her moving & music upbeat.....seemed to keep her from going full blown. We saw other kids.....who seemed to like seeing the Mickey Mouse stuff. I'm sure your brother's kids would do fine.

Day 4, Part 10:​

Continuing the Walt Disney Family Museum:

Mary Poppins.....love this movie & really love Julie Andrews & Dick Van Dyke!!

Day 4, Part 11:​

Finishing up the main building at the Walt Disney Family Museum:

After this, you exit to the area by the gift shop, coffee counter & lobby where you start. The next 3 pictures are downstairs by the restrooms. There is also a small room with art from a guest artist (I believe) You are not allowed to take pictures in this room.

We were looking around the gift shop and my phone rang. It was customer service with In & Out. We went over the entire experience and she was very apologetic. She said that the info will help them look into retraining & going over policies with them. She offered to send us some certificates to make up for the cost of our meal. She took my address and I thanked her for the generous offer. I did get home to find these in my mailbox:

A full page letter from In & Out and 6 certificates good for any burger, fries & beverage on the menu. It was way more than what I expected.....nice to know they really did care!!

We finished our shopping, grabbed coffee for Betty & Mike and then headed to another building a bit behind the main building to see the special Mary Blair Exhibit.

Day 4, Part 12:​

The Mary Blair Exhibit. This exhibit was an extra cost not included in the main museum price. You can add it to your ticket for an additional $5 per ticket.

Day 4, Part 14:​

Finishing up the Mary Blair exhibit.

As we headed out of the exhibit, we saw a mounted SF police officer.

Just up the hill from the exhibit was the San Francisco National Cemetery, so Mike & Addy walked up and took a few pictures.

We met back at the van and went in search of our lunch spot. These are some of the houses & buildings as we were driving....love all the architecture of these places.

The Mary Blair exhibit looked interesting. When we were there they had some extra stuff down in the basement but I have never been to any other bldgs so that is new. Did you think it was worth the extra money?

Love your pics of the city.

The Mary Blair exhibit looked interesting. When we were there they had some extra stuff down in the basement but I have never been to any other bldgs so that is new. Did you think it was worth the extra money?

Love your pics of the city.

The one room downstairs had an exhibit that you couldn't take pictures in....I don't remember who's art was in there.

The Mary Blair was in a building a bit behind & up a hill from the main building. I'm not sure why they charge for the extra for this......It was interesting but I'm not sure it's worth extra money to go to it. Bringing in different special exhibits to keep people coming back should be enough.....but that's just my opinion on that.

Yea I agree. The first time we went we paid full price and it was right after it opened. Then in 13 mom and I got a groupon for half price and took the girls so it was worth it to go again for half and mom had never been but I agree don't know I would want to pay full price plus extra for that.

Yea I agree. The first time we went we paid full price and it was right after it opened. Then in 13 mom and I got a groupon for half price and took the girls so it was worth it to go again for half and mom had never been but I agree don't know I would want to pay full price plus extra for that.

I could see charging if people ONLY wanted to visit the special exhibit....but I think it should be part of the admission charge if doing all of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter