We're Home From the Road!! 17 Days of Travel with Tons of Pics~COMPLETE!!

Derek is just kinda "lost" right now. He wanted to come home...but not to a house full of kids. He can't go back to school because he has to figure out how to pay on his school loan (which is in default). He's starting to apply for some jobs but he just doesn't have a clue what he wants to do.....so that makes it hard. Definitely in a funk.

Most of the time, I don't let it bother me.....but when they are blatantly staring or commenting....well the mama bear comes out in me.

Oh I get it. It is hard once you have been away from home and living on your own to come back esp with all the little kids around. Hopefully he figures out what he wants to do and finds some joy again.

And yeah I know what you mean. Us momma's don't like people doing stuff against our babies.

Enjoyed the update but sad you had such a bad time in SF. It can be such a beautiful and fun place when it is not like that. Sadly you went at a bad time. SF can be so cold and miserable when the weather is bad so when it is nice like it was then and plus summer equals CROWDS. And I too am surprised about In N Out but I think the more touristy the area the bigger chance of things like this. We have 2 in Sac near me (I actually think there are a few more) and we love their food. Always fresh and yummy but I guess with anything you can always get a bad one. So sorry that happened and I hope they do right by you.

We have 5 guys, Smashburger and the Habit all her and they are all good in dfiferent ways. Sadly we eat so many dang hamburgers at McD's all the time cuz always running here and there with the kids that when I have a chance to eat something else I don't want a burger LOL. So I don't get to those that much but they are good!

Glad addy's sickness was more nerves and tired than sickness so no one else got it.

And WOW about the Golden Gate. We always come across the bay bridge which is chepaer but not that much I guess from the Golden Gate but dang. I haven't been to the city in a year or so but the tolls used to be like 1 or 2 bucks. Now it is getting expensive just to drive there. Sheesh. We had hoped to go their over Labor Day but maybe now I am glad we aren't cuz of the crowds.

Looking foward to the next installment. :)

Oh I get it. It is hard once you have been away from home and living on your own to come back esp with all the little kids around. Hopefully he figures out what he wants to do and finds some joy again.

And yeah I know what you mean. Us momma's don't like people doing stuff against our babies.

I get it too.....but sheesh.....at least try to enjoy the vacation (or pretend to for my sake).

Enjoyed the update but sad you had such a bad time in SF. It can be such a beautiful and fun place when it is not like that. Sadly you went at a bad time. SF can be so cold and miserable when the weather is bad so when it is nice like it was then and plus summer equals CROWDS. And I too am surprised about In N Out but I think the more touristy the area the bigger chance of things like this. We have 2 in Sac near me (I actually think there are a few more) and we love their food. Always fresh and yummy but I guess with anything you can always get a bad one. So sorry that happened and I hope they do right by you.

We have 5 guys, Smashburger and the Habit all her and they are all good in dfiferent ways. Sadly we eat so many dang hamburgers at McD's all the time cuz always running here and there with the kids that when I have a chance to eat something else I don't want a burger LOL. So I don't get to those that much but they are good!

Glad addy's sickness was more nerves and tired than sickness so no one else got it.

And WOW about the Golden Gate. We always come across the bay bridge which is chepaer but not that much I guess from the Golden Gate but dang. I haven't been to the city in a year or so but the tolls used to be like 1 or 2 bucks. Now it is getting expensive just to drive there. Sheesh. We had hoped to go their over Labor Day but maybe now I am glad we aren't cuz of the crowds.

Looking foward to the next installment. :)

We knew the pier area would be busy, I just didn't realize it would be packed like it was. The In & Out being in that area is going to be a busy spot.....but that shouldn't change standard procedures in their cooking. The fries were barely warm and way undercooked.....I know they have timers on their fryers. Let them cook the whole time & not "guess" when they're done. I'm thinking with the over salted meat was a matter of the grill not being scraped off.....again, would only take a few seconds to do that. As for the soda, usually they are pretty set up and changing tanks shouldn't alter it much....but someone messed with the balances because none of the sodas tasted right. It wasn't like they were kicking food out faster by skipping a few of the steps.......it still took 20 minutes to get our order.

It's weird I haven't had the $7 pulled out of my bank acct yet for the bridge toll. Maybe because we were from out of state they won't?? I know Florida doesn't charge out of state plates for tolls. :confused3

Day 4, Part 1:​

Woke up at 7:30, showered, dressed, got breakfast downstairs in the lobby, and repacked the van. Some of us woke up easier than others......

We headed towards the Presidio for the Walt Disney Family Museum. We got there at the 10am opening.

We took a ton of pictures and I tried to mesh Mike's & my pictures as well as I could to keep them in order. I'm not going to explain the pics.....just share them. (there are a lot) Hopefully you'll enjoy them!

Day 4, Part 3:​

More Walt Disney Family Museum:

The elevator:

Inside the elevator:

Upstairs of the museum:

Much more to follow soon!

Oh, no! I am so sorry you had such a miserable experience your first day in San Francisco! It's my very favorite city (I live in the Bay Area), and it makes me sad when tourists don't enjoy their trips here.

Unfortunately, you picked summer, which is not very summery at all. It's very cold and foggy and damp. I find it utterly charming, but I also live here, come prepared with our clothing choices, and am usually escaping the East Bay heat.

It's too late now, but in case anyone else is reading or you visit again, there is a second Ghiradhelli store in the Square. It's all the way in the back corner, and many tourists have no idea it is there. The store itself is much more open, and the lines for ice cream are much shorter, even during the height of tourist season. A trip down to that area (which we do often with our young girls), is never complete without ice cream from there, so we go often and have never had more than a 10 minute wait in line, at the longest. There is plenty of seating outside.

That In-n-Out is perfectly awful. Please don't judge other I-n-O's by that one, and do try them again. Fisherman's Wharf is just not the best, foodwise. It's such a mess of people and garbage. We never went there until we had kids, but they love the carousel (so glad you got on that), the little playground by the aquarium, and the Musee Mechanique. So we often end a day in the city with a visit down there. If you return, stick to Boudin's (nothing fancy at all, but it's edible) or for a nicer experience and a lovely view, try Fog Harbour Inn.

I hope things improved, especially with your poor sick little one! It looks like you had fun at the Museum!

Oh, no! I am so sorry you had such a miserable experience your first day in San Francisco! It's my very favorite city (I live in the Bay Area), and it makes me sad when tourists don't enjoy their trips here.

Unfortunately, you picked summer, which is not very summery at all. It's very cold and foggy and damp. I find it utterly charming, but I also live here, come prepared with our clothing choices, and am usually escaping the East Bay heat.

It's too late now, but in case anyone else is reading or you visit again, there is a second Ghiradhelli store in the Square. It's all the way in the back corner, and many tourists have no idea it is there. The store itself is much more open, and the lines for ice cream are much shorter, even during the height of tourist season. A trip down to that area (which we do often with our young girls), is never complete without ice cream from there, so we go often and have never had more than a 10 minute wait in line, at the longest. There is plenty of seating outside.

That In-n-Out is perfectly awful. Please don't judge other I-n-O's by that one, and do try them again. Fisherman's Wharf is just not the best, foodwise. It's such a mess of people and garbage. We never went there until we had kids, but they love the carousel (so glad you got on that), the little playground by the aquarium, and the Musee Mechanique. So we often end a day in the city with a visit down there. If you return, stick to Boudin's (nothing fancy at all, but it's edible) or for a nicer experience and a lovely view, try Fog Harbour Inn.

I hope things improved, especially with your poor sick little one! It looks like you had fun at the Museum!

This is our 3rd time there and each time it seems to get worse.....just not our cup of tea. The weather this time was perfect....warm, a little breeze but we did without sweatshirts the whole time.

That In & Out was terrible but we did eat at a couple other ones on our trip and they were much better!!

Addy was fine after that afternoon/early evening.....and after a good nights sleep.

I'm a bay area local too and this is my favorite time of year in San Francisco weather wise. It's so nice to drive over and cool down.:goodvibes

I'm a bay area local too and this is my favorite time of year in San Francisco weather wise. It's so nice to drive over and cool down.:goodvibes

We couldn't have asked for better weather.....last time~July 2005.......we FROZE the one night we were there. We had to buy sweatshirts because we weren't prepared!

This is our 3rd time there and each time it seems to get worse.....just not our cup of tea. The weather this time was perfect....warm, a little breeze but we did without sweatshirts the whole time.

Third time to San Francisco? I wonder if it's what you are picking to do, maybe. I, for example, think Fisherman's Wharf is perfectly awful. I never recommend it to visitors, and like I said, we have a few things we do on Pier 39 because our girls enjoy it, but it's usually after a day spent doing something else. In any event, it's no fun to have such an experience on vacation, which is supposed to be fun!

That In & Out was terrible but we did eat at a couple other ones on our trip and they were much better!!

Addy was fine after that afternoon/early evening.....and after a good nights sleep.

Oh, good! On both points!

Third time to San Francisco? I wonder if it's what you are picking to do, maybe. I, for example, think Fisherman's Wharf is perfectly awful. I never recommend it to visitors, and like I said, we have a few things we do on Pier 39 because our girls enjoy it, but it's usually after a day spent doing something else. In any event, it's no fun to have such an experience on vacation, which is supposed to be fun!

Oh, good! On both points!

We don't know about much of San Francisco....we've always stayed close to the wharf/piers.....really the only reason we came this time was to experience the Walt Disney Family Museum. That in itself would be enough for me to go back. To be honest I'm not a huge fan of huge cities.....traffic, people, costs, etc. Sometimes it can't be avoided like wanting to go to the Hollywood area or San Diego.....but I'm always open to suggestions. :goodvibes

I love all of the museum photos! I can't wait to get there someday!

Can some of you NorCal/Bay Area folks send your cold, damp and foggy summer weather down my way? I have had my fill of heat -- which I never liked to begin with -- and would love to be cold! Heat makes me ill. Colder air makes me happy!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter