Welcome to WISH-topia! March 2017 WISH Lifestyle/Weight Challenge

What do you do when you feel like giving up?
What keeps you motivated when the going gets tough?

I don't know how good I am at pushing through, but what I try to tell myself is two things:

1. You won't be at the exact same weight this time next year as you are right now. It will either be lower or higher, it's up to you to decided.
2. There's no time like the present - time is getting away. I always wanted to be thinner to look better in pictures when my kids were babies, then for vacations as they were growing up, etc. Well, that time is gone and I just need to tackle this problem right now!

Sometimes my internal pep talks work, sometimes they don't, but I've got to keep trying!

I think it's unreasonable to expect to always be motivated and sometimes habits get me going, other times having solid minimums, and there are times I give up for a little while

What helps me restart - I think it's normal human behavior, we crave to learn and to do better and to grow and I feel happier when I have goals and see progress. It isn't only about weight and health but it applies to it for sure.

I just do, I try not to beat myself for any mistakes I may have done or times where I have not followed with my goals. Get myself in positive state and move on.

It's what I say to myself really. Example instead of saying to myself i blew it all, I am not good enough, I have no will power, I will never do this - I don't let that type of state linger. I remind myself - I gave up smoking, I educated myself, I have a successful career in language that is not my native and so on.

I think the 3 S for change strategy, state, story is what makes it work and motivation is such a variable unreliable thing - people over rely on it. I need to get my state positive by the story I keep telling myself and this story/state/strategy is what keeps me going when the motivation is running low. Lower my motivation is = more focus on what I tell myself

For March 9
28 laps done in 20 minutes of walking. We edit when internet is back up and I don't have to use my phone to add the running total. We have gotten a bunch of snow since Wed night and it is heavy and wet ( normal here is more of a powder) power outages are possible and my guess is the tower we are connected to went out a few hours ago. Since our provider is a rural broadband company and only has a staff of 2-3 people when it goes late at night your using a phone and your mobile web ( thank goodness for unlimited though right now I have to use a slower speed).
Signing off tonight as cold and sick of snow and winter
Edited to add that the running total so far is 189 minutes

Last edited:
What do you do when you feel like giving up?
What keeps you motivated when the going gets tough?
I think about my future races and the fact that I don't want to look bad, get swept or disappoint the people that have helped me come so far. Last night was a perfect example it was tough I felt like everything was working against me, it was cold and dark and my family was having fun together, but I got out there and ran. Then this morning I got on the scale and it confirmed that I did the right thing. My hard work is paying off, I am already at 100% (5lbs) of my goal for the month!

Sorry I have been in and out this week. It has been a crummy week. Nothing huge though. I have been very moody and crabby and not feeling great thanks to TOM. I haven't worked out since Monday. I will be back at it by Monday. Saturday is going to be rough. My son has a basketball game at 9. If they win they play again at noon. They are in the playoffs now. I hope they win. They have been doing really good lately.

My dad stopped by last night for a little bit. I haven't see him since Christmas since I was sick and had to miss my grandparents 60th wedding anniversary. It was good to sit and chat for a little bit.

Work has been kind of crazy too this week. We had a huge issue that needed to be taken care of that I thought I was going to be in trouble for but thankfully we figured it out and it wasn't really my fault.

So couple all of this with the weather and a husband and a daughter sick this week I just really have not been myself. Things are getting back to normal now though except for my poor daughter that has had a horrible stuffy/runny nose since Christmas with only a week or two where she has been fine. I am starting to think it is not a cold and is her allergies but wee will see.

I hope everyone has a great day!

So first of all, sorry I haven't had much time to chat this week. Life kind of exploded this week. So far I have: taken the stray kitten we found behind our store to be fixed at the county co-op (45 min away but they are so affordable!), picked her up the next day, took her to my vet for a follow up (and now she's living at my house until we get all her test results back and also because DH is in love with her), I'm trying to finish building a new website for our new business because the other one stopped working on Monday and I don't want to pay to have it fixed when I'm almost done building the new one, and we've started house shopping to even see if this is a step we want to take and have some viewings scheduled for the weekend. So mostly good things, just a lot of it for some reason this week. Next week, I think, will be much easier. I've just been trying to stay afloat this week LOL OK - vent over!

I have been reading all of y'all's responses thought if not commenting. :-)

You won't be at the exact same weight this time next year as you are right now. It will either be lower or higher, it's up to you to decided.

This is great! So true!

I think the 3 S for change strategy, state, story is what makes it work and motivation is such a variable unreliable thing - people over rely on it. I need to get my state positive by the story I keep telling myself and this story/state/strategy is what keeps me going when the motivation is running low. Lower my motivation is = more focus on what I tell myself

This is great too! You're so right-- Motivation can run out. You need more than that to keep going.

Then this morning I got on the scale and it confirmed that I did the right thing. My hard work is paying off, I am already at 100% (5lbs) of my goal for the month!

That's amazing!!! Woohoo for you!!!

Woo Hoo Wednesday! March 8

View attachment 224171

You knew this guy was coming!

What's put a smile like this on your face in the past week?

There is no greater feeling than seeing your husband after you return from a business trip! I spent four very cold days in the suburbs of Chicago for a work meeting and today is the first day back to the grind.

So once again... I'm having trouble managing food while I travel. I weighed in today at 131.5, a loss of 1.5 pounds in a week. (I'm trying to be in maintenance mode where I stay around 133). I was overly cautious at the buffet breakfast and lunch stations because I didn't know what was in the food and didn't want to over eat. How do I get over this fear of buffets and food portions? How do I know what a 4 oz piece of chicken looks like and what an actual cup of something is?

I think this is my struggle. So for those of you who travel or are frequent buffet eaters -- how do you do this!? :(

Friday Fun! March 10

Zootopia has a few great and inspiring quotes.

try everything.jpg

What quotes stick with you?

Doesn't have to be Disney or inspirational.
Funny, witty, whatever speaks to you!

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)

The first line really sticks with me and has become my mantra. I never want to look back and wish I would have done something that I was too scared to try or didn't think was possible for me. So now whenever I want to do something I make it happen. It can be something as small as joining a social club/group or big as travel to a place I've always wanted to go. Sometimes it may take a few years to accomplish but I stick with it. So far there is nothing in my life that I regret not doing.

Last edited:
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)

The first line really sticks with me and has become my mantra. I never want to look back and wish I would have done something that I was too scared to try or didn't think was possible for me. So now whenever I want to do something I make it happen. It can be something as small as joining a social club/group or big as travel to a place I've always wanted to go. Sometimes it may take a few years to accomplish but I stick with it. So far there is nothing in my life that I regret not doing.

That is so true!

One I jotted down the other day is similar:

Your actions define you, not your thoughts. At the end of the day your character is determined by what you do, not by what you think about.

I tend to be a wonderful-intentioned person, but I'm not the best at following through...I need to work on that!

As I was looking for the worlds to the quote I like (it is from a song) I found a few others that I like. I write notes to my kids in there lunch and always put a quote. I have slacked off in this lately as I finally have them packing their only lunch. I have used all of these quotes before and I really like them. I the only I haven't heard before was the one from Mickey Rooney. I need to remember to use this one for my son. He has been trying so hard to get all "A's" this quarter and is very close. However he failed a test in the class that he had a B . He still has a B but there is no hope of getting it to an A. He was so upset. I think this quote will be good for him.

“Don’t let what you can’t do stop you from doing what you can do.” – John Wooden (this one is good for my daughter)

“It’s not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters.” – Epictetus

“You always pass failure on the way to success.” Mickey Rooney

Here is the only I love.

Hold the door say please say thank you
Don't steal, don't cheat, and don't lie
I know you got moutains to climb but
Always stay humble and kind

This is from the song Humble and Kind by Tim McGraw.

Friday Fun! March 10

Zootopia has a few great and inspiring quotes.

View attachment 224627

Doesn't have to be Disney or inspirational.
Funny, witty, whatever speaks to you!
I don't know who originally said these quotes but they are my go to when I am running especially in a hard race:

"The body achieves what the mind believes."

And a really good one that someone posted on my journal and makes me laugh
"When your wrestling a gorilla you don't quit when your tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired."

There is no greater feeling than seeing your husband after you return from a business trip! I spent four very cold days in the suburbs of Chicago for a work meeting and today is the first day back to the grind.

So once again... I'm having trouble managing food while I travel. I weighed in today at 131.5, a loss of 1.5 pounds in a week. (I'm trying to be in maintenance mode where I stay around 133). I was overly cautious at the buffet breakfast and lunch stations because I didn't know what was in the food and didn't want to over eat. How do I get over this fear of buffets and food portions? How do I know what a 4 oz piece of chicken looks like and what an actual cup of something is?

I think this is my struggle. So for those of you who travel or are frequent buffet eaters -- how do you do this!? :(
I went to a nutritionist once that said a 3 oz portion of chicken is about the size of your palm, I always think about that when I'm making my plate. I googled that to see if there were tricks for other foods and this webpage came up.
http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/diet-tips/simple-tricks-estimate-serving-size

I hope it helps :)

So first of all, sorry I haven't had much time to chat this week. Life kind of exploded this week. So far I have: taken the stray kitten we found behind our store to be fixed at the county co-op (45 min away but they are so affordable!), picked her up the next day, took her to my vet for a follow up (and now she's living at my house until we get all her test results back and also because DH is in love with her), I'm trying to finish building a new website for our new business because the other one stopped working on Monday and I don't want to pay to have it fixed when I'm almost done building the new one, and we've started house shopping to even see if this is a step we want to take and have some viewings scheduled for the weekend. So mostly good things, just a lot of it for some reason this week. Next week, I think, will be much easier. I've just been trying to stay afloat this week LOL OK - vent over!

Wow you are busy at the moment - good luck with the kitten, the website and the house decision!

For some reason today I have Dr Phil in my head lol - so imagine the Texan accent with it ....

"How's that workin for ya?"
"You would worry less about what people think of you, if you knew how little they did. "
"When you choose your behaviour you choose your consequences."

and one from Ellen - "Be Kind to One Another"

I did great eating on buffets at WDW.
Plate one half plate of veggies and fruit and tiny bit of other foods to decide what I really like
Plate two same half plate of veggies and moderate portions of the other offerings I like

Check in if I feel satisfied enough not eat beyond being full

I think if you eat out at buffets less than once a week you just have to estimate, dont sweat it too much and move on. Eat your veggies, don't stuff yourself but let yourself eat until feeling happy and satisfied, move on

I woke up feeling happy today.

I can't wait to get out - it's the warmest day of the year so far, it's sunny and dry. I want to be out doors. I want to walk. I want to swim, dance, cycle. I want to do yoga. I want to try new things. I want to eat a lot of watermelon. I want to eat a lot of food that makes me feel good and energetic. I want to go out with my family. I want to meet friends. I want to meet new people. I want to cook food for people I love. I want to add fresh strawberries to my salads with feta cheese. I want go to the zoo, mountains, beach, theme park. I want to try new things - perhaps Gravity Pilates? I can't wait to see Beauty and the Beast. Kong may be fun too?

When I was asking myself what is the life I want to live, and how do I want to feel back in November 2015 - this was it! I want to wake up every day looking forward for the day ahead

I LOVE SPRING! Have a super healthy and happy weekend all!

So I gained 2 pounds this week. My eating wasn't that bad and I hit the gym with the weights pretty hard. That combined with the fact that it's TOM for me so I'm not upset about this gain. Plus it still puts me at down 3 pounds for the month. That's 33% to goal for me.

I'm going to post an NSV to solidify in my brain that this gain is OKAY. So on Wednesday I went out with my BFF and I wore a crop top! It ended just at the top of my jeans. I felt amazing in it. Like I totally pulled it off. I like my curves and the way my body is moving due to weight lifting. I want to keep working on my physique and eating and know that this is a slow journey. So yay for crop tops, self-love, and body positivity no matter what the scale says!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter