Welcome to WISH-topia! March 2017 WISH Lifestyle/Weight Challenge

@Queen of the WDW Scene

Welcome and Congratulations on your weight loss so far

@summermom2

Welcome. Do you have a plan on how you want to obtain your goal.

====================================================

I ended up walking out to the mail box ( 1/10 of a mile) because my mom told me I had a package between mine and my brother's boxes. It was a good thing that I had grabbed a cloth shopping bag because my box was full with mail that was just from today. We had the sub again and she ( our main driver is a really nice man) refuses to bring packages to the door unless it is something that has to be signed for in which case honk honk until you come out. Even with stopping by my parents house to pick up some stuff they had for us I got 14 minutes of walk time in and decided that it needs to be warmer and no bitter cold wind ( The Santa Anna winds are great for removing snow so we have patches of green though it has been warm enough lately that the snow is melted and the most we have is a trace dusting in the shaded areas; but darn they are cold and go right through you) before I start walking outside. ( I paused my timer while I was in my parents house). I still plan on getting at least 10 minutes though might just do the full 19 later tonight doing laps around my front room, kitchen, and laundry room. A lot of this is going to depend on how I feel after the first 10 minutes.

welcome @summermom2

I love veggies and fruit and I eat a lot of them. I ate over 2000 calories daily, even when loosing weight and felt good and I feel one of the big reasons I felt so good is all of my meals have at least some fruit and veggies but in reality most of my meals are half fruit and veggies. I am trying to keep this up in maintenance and is definitely something that I would recommend trying

I have been sitting here for a while feeling just a wee bit sorry for myself that I can't easily do a 30 minutes walk at a moderate past when I realized I had not checked to see if there was an update on how my husband's relative by marriage Ali was doing lately. Ali is married to Chase and his Dad and my Father in Law are cousins. I wanted to take a moment to share her story and how far she has come since early last September when an accident while riding her rodeo roping horse came close to taking her life. https://www.youcaring.com/chase-and-ali-gauger-639879

Can I ask out of topic question please? I haven't done any planning for our California trip, all I know we will do 3 Disney days. Can the California members or guest share with me some of their tips? Anything will be helpful, where to stay, type of tickets to book, onsite vs offsite, where to eat, what rides to hit first, must do rides, photopackages - anything really! Please pm me if you are willing to share any tips

and if you have any tips on healthy meal, share here is it's not out of topic!

Has anyone ever tried to curl their hair after a morning of arm workouts before?? Hahaha omg this morning I was actually resting my arm against the doorframe while holding my hair on my curling wand because my arms were so tired. I'm not sure whose genius idea it was to do that this morning :rolleyes:. Last night was decent. I didn't get my walk in because we were supposed to get this big storm and I didn't want to be caught out in it. Go figure, the storm didn't hit until like an hour after it was supposed to. I totally could have gotten my walk in. At least I worked out yesterday morning. I also got to the gym this morning which was rough. I am so exhausted. It's TOM so I could easily sleep and eat food all day right now. But gotta keep going!

Tonight my local movie theater is showing Twister in memory of Bill Paxton. Twister is my all-time favorite movie and Bill Paxton was one of my favorite actors. I saw the movie in theaters 21 years ago so I'm super excited to be going tonight.

I would like to join this challenge. My goal this month is to lose 8 pounds. I am at the heaviest I have ever been. I have no problem getting my veggies I love them. We have a small farmers market in the summer but it is not great. I live in a crappy town.
Good luck everyone with your goals.
Welcome to the group!

I would like to join this challenge. My goal this month is to lose 8 pounds. I am at the heaviest I have ever been. I have no problem getting my veggies I love them. We have a small farmers market in the summer but it is not great. I live in a crappy town.
Good luck everyone with your goals.

:welcome: Glad to have you joining us!

Has anyone ever tried to curl their hair after a morning of arm workouts before?? Hahaha omg this morning I was actually resting my arm against the doorframe while holding my hair on my curling wand because my arms were so tired. I'm not sure whose genius idea it was to do that this morning :rolleyes:.

:rotfl: Yep! And forget trying to prop up your head with your hands behind them to watch TV!

Question of the Day : March 7

ZPA.jpg

Today we are venturing into Zootopia's Police Academy.

Here, the ZPD tests the strength and endurance of all the applicants.

From boxing and crossing monkey bars....

judy boxing.jpg judy monkey bars.jpg

To scaling walls of ice...

ice wall.jpg

...These ZPD officers must be in tip top shape!

Many of our journeys to a healthier lifestyle include finding ways to get in shape and stay in shape.

Is exercise a big part of your journey?
What have you found that you like or don't like to do to get moving?

Do you have any long term physical fitness goals?

:welcome: to the new members of the group!! We are happy that you decided to join!

@HappyGrape I will send you a PM later with my experiences about Disneyland. Have you checked out the Disneyland Board here on the DIS. People there are great and helpful. You could even ask the Disneyland DISUnplugged podcast team if they are willing to help you plan. They often do segments on the podcast where they have someone planning a trip to Disneyland and they go with them through all their plans. Could be a fun way to get a lot of information.

I have been sitting here for a while feeling just a wee bit sorry for myself that I can't easily do a 30 minutes walk at a moderate past

Don't be! Look back at your own posts at the beginning of the January thread. Remember how you were struggling with 10 minutes? Now you are up to half an hour. Maybe not as fast as you want it to be, and not in one go. But over the last two months, you have improved so much already. Don't look at what others can do, but compare yourself with you in the past and be proud of the progress you have made! :goodvibes

QOTD:
I used to hate veggies for a long time and I am still not the biggest fan of some vegetables. However, I have learned to like more and more different ones and have figured out that for me it is often a question of how they are prepared. And I have increased my vegetable intake a lot, mainly thanks to the times when I was doing WW and those zero point veggies (at least that was the case when I was doing WW, things might have changed now?) certainly made me change my eating habits. Sometimes I still struggle, but I have found that incorporating a number of vegetarian meals in my meal planning often helps with increasing the veggetable intake.

The area around where I live is known for its vegetable farms. So, plenty of farmers markets around and I like to get things from there. The best one is held on Fridays and it is always a bit of struggle to get out of work early enough to get there. But they do have the best variety and quality.

Bonus QOTD: Difficult choice. I think my standard roasted veggies. I just cut up what I have (zucchini, eggplant, bell peppers, potatoes, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, turnips, the choice is endless, however I think broccoli does not work for this), put it in a large bow, add 1-2 teaspoons of vegetable oil, salt pepper, maybe some mixed herbs and mix it very well. Then put everything on a large baking sheet and bake in the oven until crispy. Sometimes I crumble some feta cheese on top, sometimes I eat it with cottage cheese or a joghurt dip.

QOTD: Sadly I do not exercise enough. I do walk, but over the past few months I haven't been maintaining my 10,000 steps per day, I'm usually around 7000, so need to make the extra effort to get back up there. I was really enjoying Pilates but then put back on enough weight that it was no longer comfortable to do. The days are getting longer here, but the weather is still very wintry (cold and wet), so it's a bit challenging to spend a great deal of time outside, but I think I'm going to have to suck it up and do it anyway.

I've always liked the way I feel when I am exercising regularly but I go through phases of what I like to do for exercise. In my 20's, I was all about weightlifting; I would also do cardio but had no real goals. In my late 30's, I played roller derby for 5 years which was all cardio and injury heavy but I loved being on a team and the competition. Once I hit my 40's I decided I needed something new so now I'm into run/walk/run and training for my first half marathon in May. I'm trying to also do a little bike riding but only for cross-training purposes. I find I do best when I set goals for myself and have a specific weekly plan. I'm very Type A and logging all my workout details in my weekly plan really gives me a sense of accomplishment which helps me stick to my program.

Exercise is the only part of my journey that I get right. For 2 years I have been running consistently
and for the past 5 months I have been running 6 days a week. It has become a huge part of my journey, I plan my day around it and even my vacations. I hated running/exercise when I started but after having a coach do my training plan I find that I love it now. Since I completed my long term fitness goal in January I kinda have been lost in that respect. My focus has been on speed work lately and I really want to hit a sub 30 5k. It is going to take me awhile (I need to shave off 6:35) so I think that has become my new long term fitness goal.

I played roller derby for 5 years which was all cardio and injury heavy but I loved being on a team and the competition. Once I hit my 40's I decided I needed something new so now I'm into run/walk/run and training for my first half marathon in May.
Roller derby sounds like so much fun! We have a race in Jacksonville that is called Running with the Bulls, the "bulls" are a local roller derby team and you have to outrun them. Good luck with your half training! Are you doing a runDisney race?

I will just cut up a cucumber in a bowl, add vinegar (enough to pretty much cover the cucumbers), add just a little bit of oil (i would say around a tablespoon), then sprinkle garlic salt on it.

This reminds me of the "cucumbers and onions" (aka "refrigerator pickles) I just made. We do one part water to one part vinegar, enough salt that it tastes briny and the vinegar taste is balanced, and use that to marinate sliced onions and peeled, sliced cucumbers. My grandma used to make hers with cider vinegar, but I usually use white vinegar unless I'm missing her. I try to keep them around all summer (it's difficult because I leave them to cure for a few hours and come back to find the container empty...) but I made some last week for a spontaneous barbecue when the weather was weirdly warm, so now I'm just going to keep them going again until fall.

I also love slaw which can be somewhat healthy if made the right way.

I've had good luck with slaw using Splenda and fat-free miracle whip... I know some people don't like the "fake food" products, but it tasted a lot like the stuff from KFC or a deli (not QUITE as good, because no fat, but better than nothin'

Now, regarding the QOTDs... We have Farmers Markets here in the summer, but they are mostly overpriced, like WAAYYY more than buying local produce at the grocery store, let alone buying the regular stuff. So we try to find a balance. I like to visit the markets in the springtime to try to find interesting seedlings for our garden (won't lie, this is balanced by mass-produced-in-Ohio-and-sold-cheap-at-home-depot plants) and we try to grow a little ourselves in the backyard. Then just about 2 miles from here there is a family that has a stand, legit you can see the field right there, so you KNOW it's fresh. They can be a little pricey sometimes, other times cheap, but the kids LOVE going, so we go. Since we are a military family, we can use the commissary, which tends to be WAY cheaper than any other option, and local just isn't something they do there (organic yes, local, no.) So it's a bit of everything for us.

Favorite "heavy" vegetable dish has got to be Eggplant Parmesan. Sooooo yummy... But lately I've been having a LOT of butternut squash soup (got some cooking right now, in fact.) That's one that TASTES heavy and wicked, but aside from the salt is nothin' but goodness...

And exercise... hehehe.. exercise is a necessary evil, but not something I like. I hate, hate, HATED running back when I could do it, but these days it's not even an option. I used to love to do water aerobics, but I haven't found any that work for me when I've looked recently, either because of the time or because they are more geared for seniors. I like walking, but due to a bad break a few years back, it can be tricky, so that's why I'm doing these challenges, hoping to develop more stamina. So walking is mostly what I do when I can. I can't say I exactly have any long-long-term fitness goals, but I'm really hoping to *NOT* end up in an ECV during our trip, which is three months from now, so that's semi-long-term.

Roller derby sounds like so much fun! We have a race in Jacksonville that is called Running with the Bulls, the "bulls" are a local roller derby team and you have to outrun them. Good luck with your half training! Are you doing a runDisney race?

I loved roller derby but the older I got the harder on my body it was. I ended up breaking my leg/ ankle in 3 places and that was the end for me.

No RunDisney this year. I'm planning on Light side/dark side challenge next year and the wine & dine challenge. I already told my family next year vacations are all Disney!

lately I've been having a LOT of butternut squash soup (got some cooking right now, in fact.) That's one that TASTES heavy and wicked, but aside from the salt is nothin' but goodness...

Do you mind sharing your recipe for this? Sounds good!

As far as my exercise - I really need to up it. I get none without because of my desk job. At times, I've gotten myself into a good routine, but right now, it's just not happening. This month I'm focusing on tracking, maybe next month I could focus with an exercise goal.

hape.

Yes and no. I think over doing it with exercise in the past have been the biggest trigger to give up! I haven't really had any crazy diets in the past, but I have had multiple time when I push too hard

When using cardio steps to earn calorie for example, you risk of eating more, having to do another hour of walking to earn that minimal extra 300 calories, do the walking work up a hunger, and it becomes unsustainable. I am still very active, rarely do less than 13000 steps a day but I know I need to watch out and rest

Strength training. In recent 10 years the message out there have been women don't push hard enough in the gym, if you look pretty when you leave you haven't done it right, no pain no gain and so on. I spend years pushing too hard in the gym, suffering pain for days up to a level that doesn't allow me to enjoy my life and activities with my family. I am done with this! Getting over tire, work up a hunger that can't be satisfied and instead of rethinking my plan feeling I am not doing it well enough

I am slowly changing my attitude. Is being active important - absolutely. But not up to a level you leave the gym or you finish your daily run feeling like beaten up. It's ok once in awhile to push yourself but for me doing it every time is not sustainable for me.

Last year I created a lot of flexibility in coming up with eating habits and minimums and it allowed me how to reach happy place with my weight and happy place with how I eat. This year is figuring out happy place with exercise, and allowing myself greater flexibility to make it more enjoyable and sustainable

Long answer - but honestly, you need to love the life you live and if you don't you won't keep it up. You can dail up little your step count for short while, but long term it's more important to find things that help me enjoy my life so I can maintain it. While I enjoyed pushing hard in the gym, it's just too high cost (the pain and lack of energy) that I am not willing to pay

Getting my walk in today is proving to be a challenge. 9 year old has toys spread though out my walking area and when I told her to pick them up she got more out. Waiting for DH to get home in less than 2 hours and deal with her. I am not enjoying this little tude of her's lately just because she is in the start of the preteen years does not mean we need to cop one.

I am slowly changing my attitude. Is being active important - absolutely. But not up to a level you leave the gym or you finish your daily run feeling like beaten up. It's ok once in awhile to push yourself but for me doing it every time is not sustainable for me.
This is exactly what I have learned! You can't push yourself to the limit every workout. Now I follow a rule of 80% easy and 20% hard each week and not only do I enjoy it more but I have also found that I am improving more than I was when I was doing 100% hard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter