Weight loss question

Being diagnosed with fibroids and having surgery to have them removed.

For the last 20 years Ive struggled with my weight. Over the years I changed my diet, stopped drinking soda, started drinking 2 litres of water a day, stopped eating processed and fried foods, cooking from scratch and going to the gym, etc, all the usual things.

I just got bigger.

Then in summer 2020 I was diagnosed with fibroids and advised when things were not as chaotic in the healthcare system, to get surgery. In 2023 I finally had surgery. Before surgery I looked 6 months pregnant from some angles, just fat from other angles. It wasnt fat making me big, it was multiple benign tumors the size of grapefruits filling up my torso.

Im now about 16 months po and the difference in my body is huge. The day before my surgery I took photos and measurements. Im now down about 8 inches around my stomach, with very little changes to my diet and activity. My flexibility has improved, I can now see how yoga and aerobic activity are toning up and improving my overall fitness, when for years before my surgery I never saw any changes.
OMG did you have any symptoms besides getting bigger?

OMG did you have any symptoms besides getting bigger?
Yes, Ive always had monthly issues, but I'm over 40 so I just thought thats how things were, when you get to a certain age. Ive always had a belly, and been big, which I just though was normal fat. Looking back theres lots of things I now know were due to fibroids. If you want more detailed info, PM me, as I dont want to put personal info in public :)

It must have been a huge relief to find out what was causing the weight gain and to see such positive changes in your body afterward. I think it's important for others to hear stories like yours because it shows that sometimes weight issues can have underlying medical causes that aren't immediately obvious.
Yes, the change in mental health is huge. Over the years I would yo yo diet and have times when I went hard with fitness, but as I could never see any changes I would loose motivation. The worst point was after 2 years of high intensity cardio and yoga at a gym, I got bigger. I just thought it wasnt worth the money and work to do all that and not even see any changes.

Pay attention to the amount of calories you DRINK. I stopped drinking my venti Iced Chai with sweet cream cold foam and noticed a change. Regular sodas, fancy coffees, etc really add up.
For me, it's paying attention to calories, period. For example, I like bread. (A lot!) There's bread that's 35 calories/slice and other bread that's 150 calories/slice. There are 100 calorie English muffins and there are 250 calorie English muffins. I like yogurt for a mid-morning snack. There's 60 calorie yogurt and 150 calorie yogurt. And portion size makes a difference for me, like others have noted.

Carbs are my weight-loss enemy. When I can stay off bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, cereals, baked goods, I can lose weight, it is just getting in the right mind set to do so.
I tried and succeeded with this quite a few yrs ago.
I lasted about 2 years with no bread, buns, bagels, english muffins or cereal. I did allow myself whole grain pasta and long grain wild rice and tortillas. But after 2 years, those items crept back because eliminating them permanently was NO LONGER enjoyable. Now, I make an effort to "control".

One thing I forgot:
What is your why? Why do you want to loose wait?
Keep asking yourself why till you reach the source.

Example:
I want to loose wait. Why?
Because I want to be able to fit into nice clothes. Why?
Because I do not fit into what is in fashion. Why (is that important)?
I hate being out of style. Why?
Because my friends reject me if I wear something cheap/out of season, etc.

In the end your why might be that your weight is connected to be accepted by others. And that is something you can work on.
When you have a clear understanding of what your final goal is, which is more than just being able to fit in nice clothes, finding motivation gets easier. It's still going to be hard, and you are always going to eat something you shouldn't or not go to the gym when you should. But it's easier to get back on the horse with a clear why.

Losing weight is often more a mental challenge than it is a physical.

Last edited:
My husband lost 200lbs on keto, and stayed faithful to it for 3 years.

It absolutely destroyed his metabolism, though, and he gained weight afterward even when at a severe calorie deficit. Going back on keto dud not work for him, and he continued to gain.

He has since begun receiving semaglutide injections, and they have allowed him to begin losing weight again (paired with a regular morning exercise regimen, of course, to help kick his metabolism back into high gear).

He also discovered that he had very low testosterone, which contributes to weight gain, and has begun TRT. If you are a man and are experiencing weight gain, depressive episodes/low mood, and low energy, I recommend getting your testosterone levels checked. My husband's doctor advised that low testosterone can have massive consequences on overall physical/mental health.

I lost weight by cutting out processed foods and sugar (besides fruit sugar). Heavy meat based with good fats (no seed oils) and limited fruit (mostly berries) and limited dairy (mostly cheese and plain yogurt).

It must have been a huge relief to find out what was causing the weight gain and to see such positive changes in your body afterward. I think it's important for others to hear stories like yours because it shows that sometimes weight issues can have underlying medical causes that aren't immediately obvious. Your journey underscores the importance of listening to our bodies and seeking medical advice when things don't seem right. In addition, I want to mention steroids sold in the United States. Before consuming anything, it's best to check everything out. Start with goliathsteroids.com. Keep up the yoga and aerobic activities – they seem to be doing wonders for you.

Last edited:
Carbs are my weight-loss enemy. When I can stay off bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, cereals, baked goods, I can lose weight, it is just getting in the right mind set to do so.

Me too!

I weighed 235 on Feb 1, 2023. I was bigger than ever and got tired of it. I went low carb and weighed 185 on Aug 1, 2023.

I went on a very low carb diet, drank lots of water every day. For the past year I have stayed between 185 - 190.

Luckily I like meat & cheese and eggs.

I have become a lot more liberal with adding carbs back over the past 6 months. I'll have a pizza or sub once a week, luckily I'm not a fan of fast food anyway.

In my past 2 doc appointments all my numbers are better than ever, BP, cholesterol, etc.

Got back from a 3 week vacation last week, Including a WDW week, I pretty much ate and drank everything I wanted. Breads, potatoes, desserts, lots of beer. When I got home I was 195lbs, after a week I am now at 187 again.

Over the past 20 years I have tried low carb many times to lose weight but it never stuck, I'd lose the weight, go back to my regular eating habits, wash rinse and repeat. This time I have gotten a lot more creative with cooking, luckily I like to cook.

I retired 3 years ago and my exercise mostly consists of yard work and golf 3 or 4 times a week. My wife walks 4 or 5 miles every morning, but I just can't get into that.

So for those of you that have significantly lost a lot of weight successfully. What was one change that you did that had the most impact? Besides changing your habits when it comes reducing or changing your diet and increasing your activity. Those are the obvious ones. I’m just wondering if it was one little small thing that you now realize in hindsight that you changed that had the most impact.
I tried many different diets but none of them helped me lose weight until I heard about the 700 calories a day diet. Have you heard of this one? Read more about it here https://betterme.world/articles/700-calories-a-day/

Last edited:

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest