We have a neighbor or someone putting their trash in other families trash bins. Dealing with it.

Did you miss the part where the person is filling the OP's can, to the point wgere she can't add anything else? And that she pays for her trash service? I know we always have one last bag we toss in the can the morning of trash day. I'd be pissed if someone prevented me from using a service I pay for.
Same here. Our trash pick-up usually happens late in the day, so I'm always running stuff out to add to the can day of. We pay monthly for our trash service, just like any other utility. And if the can is over full, they won't empty it at all. If I put extra bags next to the cans, they won't take them. I pay for that space and should have it available if I need to run a bag out there on pick-up day.

I agree- don't care who puts trash in the can- once it is out at the curb it is fair game.

I pay for my can. If I want to roll it out empty and then run and fill it once I hear the garbage truck coming, that is my prerogative. My entitled neighbor actually instructed me to place all of my garbage in my can BEFORE a certain time. Otherwise, she can put her trash in it.

Imagine being that rude and entitled? Telling me that I can't use something that I paid for because she wants to use it.

Thank you! I've been sitting here wondering if all these people who would "have no problem with it" would be fine if they were stealing cable or tapping into their electric. I mean as long as they could still watch their shows or turn on their own lights it shouldn't be a big deal, right?
Yeah, I could see this as an issue, esp if the trash collectors are just passing you up for "having too much"
I'm so lucky to only have 2 neighbors..
Any chance you'd be willing to do a stakeout? That's what I'd do, ig.

Did you miss the part where the person is filling the OP's can, to the point wgere she can't add anything else? And that she pays for her trash service? I know we always have one last bag we toss in the can the morning of trash day. I'd be pissed if someone prevented me from using a service I pay for.
::yes:: Exactly. This is the crux of it between the people who'd get mad and the people who wouldn't care. Perspective is everything. There are lots of people here (me included) who don't pay separately for garbage removal and aren't really inconvenienced if somebody else uses their bin. But unless I've mis-read, I haven't seen anybody say they're perfectly fine with paying for services they can't use because somebody else is "taking" the service without permission. Implying one is just oh-so-much-more-magnanimous than others is really kind of a crock when the situation is apples/oranges.

My issue has been with people who are apparently moving and they come and dump all of their stuff in the alley by the trash and recycle bins. Sometimes even blocking the garage door with their unwanted crap. It's pretty mind boggling to me that people are so inconsiderate.

That would drive me nuts. People are so disrespectful.

It's mind boggling to me that people on this thread that think it is no big deal to encroach on someone else's property.

I pay for my can. If I want to roll it out empty and then run and fill it once I hear the garbage truck coming, that is my prerogative. My entitled neighbor actually instructed me to place all of my garbage in my can BEFORE a certain time. Otherwise, she can put her trash in it.

Imagine being that rude and entitled? Telling me that I can't use something that I paid for because she wants to use it.
What the? That's crazy!

But I guess not that different from the people who used to steal the paper out of our driveway. It seems that in spite of paying for the paper, I was required to pick it up at the crack of dawn or it was up for grabs. This is why I cancelled the paper before it was cool to cancel your paper. ;) I have a hunch it was the same neighbor taking the paper who also added trash to my can. I kind of wish I had done a stakeout to confirm.

Right now in my town we put trash bags and anything else we want on the curb twice a week for pickup. I've left a broken vacuum cleaner and giant cardboard boxes I've collapsed that would never fit in a can. Once a week we leave out recycling bins. You can leave out as many recycling bins as you want. Right now I have 3. I like this service because I don't have to worry about any of the things y'all are concerned about. Next month we're switching to cans and after reading this thread I'm dreading it especially at Christmas time.

We arrived at our beach place one weekend to find our large city assigned trash can missing from the side of our house. Asked our next door neighbors if we could toss a bag in theirs since ours was missing-they said sure. They had just moved in the beginning of the season. We call city hall and they will replace for 75.00 so we might want to check around the neighborhood-gave us the serial number-turns out it’s next door.
They would have had to go to our side yard and wheeled it over to their side-out of our view. We just wheeled it back and my husband spray painted our house number on it. I’m a pretty laid back person, but my blood pressure goes up just remembering this :sad2:

I own a house near the beach that's rented out for the summer. Almost everybody paints their house numbers on their trash and recycling cans to avoid such problems.

I have no problem with a neighbor asking to put extra trash (from a big clean-out or something) in my can if I had have room, and I would do the same. We've even set that precedent enough times that I'd be be fine if I'd already left for the day, and they just checked that there was room and didn't ask.

But in the case described in the OP, it really does sound like a stranger abusing the system, and I would be angry if there wasn't room for my own trash because someone else had filled it up. (And I might be concerned about someone throwing away hazardous stuff and me getting blamed for it.)

Right now in my town we put trash bags and anything else we want on the curb twice a week for pickup. I've left a broken vacuum cleaner and giant cardboard boxes I've collapsed that would never fit in a can. Once a week we leave out recycling bins. You can leave out as many recycling bins as you want. Right now I have 3. I like this service because I don't have to worry about any of the things y'all are concerned about. Next month we're switching to cans and after reading this thread I'm dreading it especially at Christmas time.
We had that kind of pick-up here as well, up until about 10 years or so ago - it was sweet! Now anything that doesn't fit into the bins has to be taken to the landfill where a fee is paid by-the-pound. It's much less convenient, for sure. (In full disclosure, I've actually got the best of both worlds personally. #1, we don't pay separately for garbage, it's part of our municipal utilities. #2, the use of the bins for garbage and recycling is optional because I live in a condo where we also have a commercial bin that garbage and household refuse can be put in.)

I own a house near the beach that's rented out for the summer. Almost everybody paints their house numbers on their trash and recycling cans to avoid such problems.
Our municipality has the addresses printed on the bins before they are delivered. No chance anybody could "accidentally" take one that isn't theirs.

Is it common in the USA for HOA to deal with trash? Up here it's the municipal government. It's paid by your taxes same as street cleaning.
Not all municipalities include it, we pay separately We are by Buchart Gardens, but my in-laws that live 20 minutes away have it included. I pay for 1 bin every week, if I have extra I have a bunch of little yellow envelopes to put the $3 / extra bag or bin. I would only notice if someone added more if I saw them do it, or it overflowed the bin. DH takes it to the curb the morning of pick up as he leaves for work before the time it is required to be at the curb.

I own a house near the beach that's rented out for the summer. Almost everybody paints their house numbers on their trash and recycling cans to avoid such problems.[/QUOTE

I know-but we had the place for nearly 30 years (my husband’s parents original owners) and never even considered the idea our neighbors would steal a trash can! I have to say, all our aggravation comes from this one family-trash can, dog crap, dogs barking, parking in our driveway.The good news is they're moving to another house in the neighborhood, but we’re all a little worried about who might move in!

Ours have our house numbers on them too. That doesn't help with the issue of people dumping their stuff in them without permission though. Although my bigger issue has been people dumping stuff in the alley blocking the garage and back gate.

Maybe one a long time ago I either asked or they asked. It is not unusual to see someone walking down the street with a trash bag towards a can that looks like it has room. No one asks anymore.

If it's included in your taxes or HOA fees and all your neighbors pay the same fee it's probably not an issue, if you all have an understanding. But when such service is arranged and paid for privately (choosing the bin size and frequency of pick up), I want to be able to use all the bin space I paid for, and not pay for and extra bin fee when my stuff doesn't fit because someone else has put their trash in MY bin.

Our municipality has the addresses printed on the bins before they are delivered. No chance anybody could "accidentally" take one that isn't theirs.

My year round house provides bins with serial numbers. A truck with a mechanical arm picks them up and dumps them over the top.

For the vacation home, we need to provide our own containers, the city doesn't supply them. That's why most people paint their addresses on them. Trash is collected manually by workers who dump the cans into the back of the truck.

Ours have our house numbers on them too. That doesn't help with the issue of people dumping their stuff in them without permission though. Although my bigger issue has been people dumping stuff in the alley blocking the garage and back gate.

True. I don't doubt that many vacation renters dump their trash into whatever bin is more convenient, rather than the assigned can.

Yes. I said that I would imagine most who said it wouldn’t bother them were thinking more along the lines of after the homeowner has put their trash out. Several, including myself, have said we do pay for garbage pick up but I probably wouldn’t even know someone added a bag but I get it if it’s makibg it hard for the op to put all her trash out

Still not on the same level of burning your house down. At least not in my world. But if it’s that big of deal to you then take action.

Last edited:
Yes. I said that I would imagine most who said it wouldn’t bother them were thinking more along the lines of after the homeowner has put their trash out.

Still not on the same level of burning your house down. At least not in my world. But if it’s that big of deal to you then take action.
No, not burning your house down serious, but still very upsetting. Some of the private services will leave ALL the garbage if the bin lid isn't close properly or extra bag fee not place with the extra bag. I would be royally mad if I had put my bin out, someone added their trash to it, and my bin wasn't emptied because it was overflowing due to their trash making it overflow or the lid not close. Now I still have this weeks trash to get rid of by loading it into my car and taking it to the dump, which I will have to paid for in addition to the service I pay for regular pick up.

Around here, it wouldn't matter to most people.

Everyone gets the same size can, they pick up once a week. If you have extra, you simply put it out. No extra charge. If you have something large, just give them a call the day before and they will make sure to send someone out to pick it up. Washing machine? No problem. Dryer? Put it out and call. If the recycle truck comes first and you've put something out that they can't take, they will pop it into the trash. They only way we ever end up with something left is if the trash truck comes first and the recycle truck can't take something. There isn't anywhere for them to put it, so they leave it.

They pick up before I am out of bed, so my son takes the bins down to the curb the night before. If someone puts something in, I would never know. Nor do I care.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter