We have a neighbor or someone putting their trash in other families trash bins. Dealing with it.

I would be a bit upset if not asked first. We a re a pay as you throw town. We get one 30 gal barrel OR 1 trash bag. If you need more than that you have to BUY bags from the town at $2 a bag. So yeah I would be abit upset if it happened on a regular basis & was a random stranger. We are also an overflow - no pickup town. Hence having to buy bags.

Now my neighbors & I have an agreement if there is room, okay. But I always wait until they have left for work & know they are done throwing anything out.

this makes me think back to when i was the inadvertent garbage can thief. my parents were out of town and i was over with their dogs. their next door neighbor knocks on the door and says that the garbage can somehow got into the street, so he moved it back. i shrug and was like, ok... thanks! I didn't even remember seeing it on the curb that night when i pulled up. cut to about 10 minutes later when someone is banging on the door. i open it to find another neighbor screaming that i stole his garbage can (everyone has the same cans). he yelled that he knew it was his trash and that i was a scumbag for stealing it. i tried to explain. he wasn't having it. i told him to take his can and slammed the door in his face. the neighbor across the street saw it all and told him the kids up the street dragged it from his house. guess who didn't apologize...

These threads are always fun..

My opinion would be who cares? Unless you pay per garbage bag or by weight. That would change things. Since you don’t mention that, I don’t think it’s the case.

I really, really, really am glad I don’t live anywhere where this is considered an issue.
Where I live the city administers the trash collection and we are charged monthly with our combined water,trash and sewer bill. Our city doesn't care, with in reason, about excess trash. They use the arm for the bin and would physically get the excess bags sitting on the ground.

We don't have overage fees but the private company that many other cities in our area does and that company you are charged per house for it. You would need to buy overage stickers and apply it to the excess trash so they would take it otherwise they wouldn't. They also wouldn't have to take excess bags inside the trash can if those bags don't allow the lid to close as that's considered overage and you would need a sticker for that.

Even though we don't have to worry about overage anymore it's still respectful to ask first.

I would never keep trash cans inside my garage- that is just nasty.
In our neighborhood it's against the HOA bylaws to store your trash cans outside. And just like a variety of everyday household items you clean it out every once in a while. I clean out all our trash cans inside the home every now and then, don't know why the trash barrels would be any different.

There might be those who simply do not understand...
But, trash removal is simply not free.
Illegal dumping and theft of services can be a big problem.
https://www.stltoday.com/news/local...cle_5ca9af81-3589-5b7e-8cf3-ed342c424c3a.html

PS: We do keep our nice sealed lid large trash cans in our garage. Why would I want them sitting out in front of my house, or on my deck????
In the summer we keep our garage doors cracked for ventilation.
Never been a problem.

And, no I would not be comfortable, at all, with somebody I do not know and who as not asked politely to be coming around my property and dumping their bags of trash. Don't feel apologetic about that either!

Last edited:
There might be those who simply do not understand...
But, trash removal is simply not free.
Illegal dumping and theft of services can be a big problem.
https://www.stltoday.com/news/local...cle_5ca9af81-3589-5b7e-8cf3-ed342c424c3a.html

PS: We do keep our nice sealed lid large trash cans in our garage. Why would I want them sitting out in front of my house, or on my deck????
In the summer we keep our garage doors cracked for ventilation.
Never been a problem.

And, no I would not be comfortable, at all, with somebody I do not know and who as not asked politely to be coming around my property and dumping their bags of trash. Don't feel apologetic about that either!
Our are around the side of our house behind the gated fence, not visible from the road.

And... it just happened to me again tonight. Couch left beside my back gate and my trash can completely full of large pieces of styrofoam and a giant piece of cardboard. I took them all out and threw them on the couch, which should at least be picked up this week I think since we have large item pickup once a month. Our trash isn't picked up until Thursday. Why are people so inconsiderate?

I've thought of pulling my trash and recycle bins inside my back gate, but with how much crap makes its way into the alley and everyone lining their bins up on my side for pickup, I can just see the problem I'd have trying to get them back out there every week.

In my town we pay privately for trash pickup. Trash 1x/week. Recycling every 2 weeks.

I wouldn’t have a problem with an Neighbor occasionally putting trash in my bin as long as there was room in my bin for my trash.

I would have a problem with a neighbor putting so much trash in my bin that my own trash wouldn’t fit and therefore the service that I pay for couldn’t be used by ME.

And... it just happened to me again tonight. Couch left beside my back gate and my trash can completely full of large pieces of styrofoam and a giant piece of cardboard. I took them all out and threw them on the couch, which should at least be picked up this week I think since we have large item pickup once a month. Our trash isn't picked up until Thursday. Why are people so inconsiderate?

I've thought of pulling my trash and recycle bins inside my back gate, but with how much crap makes its way into the alley and everyone lining their bins up on my side for pickup, I can just see the problem I'd have trying to get them back out there every week.

So your cans are normally in an alley outside your fence and people are just dumping in your alley in and around your can? Well a couch is a bit different than an extra bag of trash! Wow. That is a problem.

I would move the cans inside my gate and only put out the day of pick up. Not sure that would stop a couch though. Is stuff like that just picked up with no question?

We pay to have OUR garbage picked up. We are not allowed to have anything outside of the can and the lid has to be completely closed. If we have extra bags or boxes or anything, we have to call ahead and pay extra. If it's not noted for the driver, they leave it sitting on the curb. Our old company sold out to a competitor and the service has been terrible ever since. Their rules are ridiculous but we don't have a choice anymore. We always take our last bag out in the morning and if someone had put their trash in, we'd either have to call & pay more, hang onto it for another week and hope the same thing didn't happen again, or throw it in the street and let somebody else deal with it (ok maybe not the last one but it's what I'd want to do.) I'd love to live in one of these places where the garbage company is great and everyone pays a flat rate & nobody cares whose trash is whose. Unfortunately, it's not the way here & putting your trash in somebody else's can is theft of service.

I would move the cans inside my gate and only put out the day of pick up. Not sure that would stop a couch though. Is stuff like that just picked up with no question?

I'm going to try that but I have a feeling I will have to move a bunch of other stuff just to fit them out there again each week. We have large item pickup by the city once a month. Sometimes they're picked up earlier by scavengers. This is a pretty nice couch so it might not be there long... I hope!

Our are around the side of our house behind the gated fence, not visible from the road.

Same- would rather than inside.

This is a great option for those that have a fence to block them, and those who don't live in climates that get 120+ inches of snow per year where it would make the garbage cans inaccessible. If we want to be able to throw garbage out and wheel our cans to the curb, the only place we can put them is in our garage and we are not "nasty" because of that.

Garbage company has contract for our area, no competition. We all pay a different amount depending on size of rolling bin we requested for service. They check recycle bin before dumping it in truck, if non recycle material is in can they will not take it. Bins have to be completely sealed. Husband and I both work 12 hour night shifts so trash has to be out before we leave, kids could take it out before but they are out of house now. 4 out of 8 weeks 6 months ago someone put stuff in our recycle bin and it was not taken. During that same time frame the household trash got charged $5 extra dollars for bins not closed extra garbage twice. Frustrating because garbage gets picked up before we get home. Garbage cans are kept in garage, solution for us....pay 10 year old next door $2 a week to take our trash out every week in the morning.

So yes I would be very upset, our front door camera does not have ability to see where our garbage cans have to be placed. I would suggest the camera setup but it might need to be able to catch a license plate. Or maybe a neighborhood watch with several people taking different hours.

This is a great option for those that have a fence to block them, and those who don't live in climates that get 120+ inches of snow per year where it would make the garbage cans inaccessible. If we want to be able to throw garbage out and wheel our cans to the curb, the only place we can put them is in our garage and we are not "nasty" because of that.
Yeah I didn't really get the 'nasty' part of the PP's comment unless they are envisioning something different than I think most people likely do.

Our lids are closed with bags all tied up and closed as well so any smell that occurs is when you open the lid (that goes away when you close the lid) which is what would happen anyways if they were outside but with it being inside I have access to it when it's raining, snowing, sleeting, hot, cold, humid, etc and I don't have to open my garage door to get to the trash and recycling nor would I have to go out the front door and walk further.

In all honesty and not judging anyone else who does this (because you do whatever works for you) what I found kinda gross is that my in-laws at their old house also was required to have garbage and recycling barrels inside but they would have the lid open and an open garbage bag clipped to the sides and they would use that as their main trash so everytime you'd open their garage door it would stink because the bag was opened 24/7 and they would only close it up when it was full but then a new bag was added, clipped to the side and left open. It's what worked for them but I admit it wasn't the most pleasant smell when walking into their garage which is how we entered their house 99% of the time.

We keep our garbage in the garage not outside. Nothing nasty about it. It's a garage, not my living room. People get in trouble here for having unsecured garbage cans outside because of the bears. So if you don't have a garage you have to have a bear proof enclosure with bear proof garbage cans. You also do not put your garbage out the night before here, it goes out in the morning.

I had someone put their bag of dog crap in my can after the trash was picked up. It really ticked me off because beyond it being entirely ignorant, for some reason the garbage men will leave small items that are not in a regular garbage bag in the can. That means I would have to rebag someone else's dog crap. I'm not proud of this, but I was so mad that I flung the bag down the street.

We keep our garbage in the garage not outside. Nothing nasty about it. It's a garage, not my living room. People get in trouble here for having unsecured garbage cans outside because of the bears. So if you don't have a garage you have to have a bear proof enclosure with bear proof garbage cans. You also do not put your garbage out the night before here, it goes out in the morning.

Same thing applies here, we are outside of the city limits, but not out in the sticks. We have seen 1 bear in 10 years (who destroyed my bird feeders, shepherds pole and suet feeders), but there are a lot of raccoons and possums. We keep out barrels in our shed, I put the trash in bags, then in the barrels. We take it out the morning of trash pick up. I wash out the 2 trash cans with mean green and water, or bleach and water every week (except for in winter). Our next door neighbors just pile their full bags in a big open box in their side yard, and seem to 'forget' to put them out for pickup for months at a time. We have complained about the raccoons and possums dragging their trash around to everyone else, but it falls on deaf ears. Another new neighbor moved in and must have figured it was okay to put their stuff out bag by bag, day by day. You would think they would have figured it out after every morning their bags were ripped open and trash was all over their yard? But no, more than 2 months later, they are still doing the same thing. And the trash men will not pick up ripped or open bags.

You also do not put your garbage out the night before here, it goes out in the morning.

My garbage would never get taken if we had to put it out in the morning before the garbage pickup- I don't get up until 9ish and trash pickup gets to me at 5:30am.

Last edited:

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter