• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW Summary of NEW DAS changes and Disney Genie - Post ONE is an updated summary

Status
Not open for further replies.
With out magic bands it’s going to br hard to police this. If someone gets a DAS for not being able to wait on a line.
Then with ( magic band) it sees that person waiting on another line it said that person is abusing the system.

With out magic bands it’s going to br hard to police this. If someone gets a DAS for not being able to wait on a line.
Then with ( magic band) it sees that person waiting on another line it said that person is abusing the system.
You are able to ride something else while waiting for your return time. It is only that you can have one DAS return time at a time. For instance, you get a DAS for Space Mountain for 40 minutes and there is no line at CoP, you can go sit and ride CoP while you wait, or go dine, etc. That isn't abusing the system.

Needing a DAS doesn't mean one literally can never wait in a line. It's more complicated than that. DAS users are expected to alternate obtaining return times with waiting standby and using Fastpass (when available). Its about LIMITING the number of standby waits one has to endure in a day at the theme parks, not eliminating them entirely.

Needing a DAS doesn't mean one literally can never wait in a line. It's more complicated than that. DAS users are expected to alternate obtaining return times with waiting standby and using Fastpass (when available). Its about LIMITING the number of standby waits one has to endure in a day at the theme parks, not eliminating them entirely.
Exactly.
Disney makes suggestions for how DAS users can plan their day, using all the tools that are available.3D6692B9-379E-4D7B-8BD4-8A2C88588153.jpeg

So, wanted to share some info I got from a Guest Relations CM yesterday when we established DAS on our new Magic Key (annual pass at DL). We had a pretty lengthy conversation about Disney Genie and DAS changes.

The takeaways were:

1. Guest Relations CMs have gotten NO information about the new DAS program other than Disney's official public announcement

2. GR CM's have NO idea when Genie will be launching. They have heard NOTHING.

3. GR CM's expect to be trained on the new DAS implementation MAYBE a day in advance, if they are lucky. She told me that Disney is really bad about giving them information/training in advance and most of the time when changes come, they find out day of or maybe a day early.

4. It is unknown at this time whether once Genie launches, if people who have an ACTIVE DAS at the time with a 60 day length (for annual passes) will have to re enroll inside of the 60 days or if it will carry over. So, we have DAS that is good through Nov 4. If Genie launches between now and then, she was not sure if we would have to re enroll or not.

5. Basically, they know as much as we do and have a lot of the same questions, so reaching out and trying to get clarification about how the new DAS system will work is pointless at this time, because they literally have not been given any information.

We are relatively new to DAS, since my 18 year old's diagnosis is just over a year old.

We were delighted to learn about it from her doctor, as Disney is both my daughter's favorite place; and the doctor's (who has the same health issue). We've always enjoyed being pre-planners, and pre-diagnosis, had our "system" for each park that worked for us to be able to enjoy all our favorites.

We had annual passes this past year, so we had just developed our "NEW" DAS system for each of the parks, and with some fine tuning, were able to do almost everything we enjoyed without issues (except for the one day when DAS wasn't working the way it should, and we ended up with a major situation - had the DAS been staffed properly, we would have been fine).

So, with that in mind - I have two big questions - would appreciate any help -

1) VIDEO CHAT - I'm still traumatized :) by the hours on hold this past year. Does anyone know when this might go live? I'm expecting days on hold and IT glitches, so this does not seem like it will be fun??

I'm also assuming the DAS guest needs to be on the video chat- which is my 18 year old who is now out of state at college. If SHE has to be the one "applying" for the DAS, then there would be no way to plan a surprise trip for her utilizing that pre-DAS process, right?

2) We've learned to go up to the blue canopies or the ride itself to obtain a return time; if we want to utilized the new system for a return time which is "available throught the Genie"; do we have to purchase the Genie add on to use that feature? Or can we just "schedule" a return time the way we used to add a FastPass?

I'm not worried about being "eligible" for the Pass - I'm just overwhelmed with the new system and planning - right when we'd finally learned to use - and so appreciated the current system.

There really hasn’t been much in the way of specific details released about the video chat. I would assume the DAS-holder needs to participate, and a support person if appropriate. The alternative is to obtain DAS in the park as has been the process.

You do not need to purchase Genie+ to use DAS. The free version of Genie will somehow enable a DAS to obtain a return time. You may want to purchase Genie+ and/or the Individual Attraction Selections to have ability to schedule more rides, similar to using DAS with FP in the past.

We are relatively new to DAS, since my 18 year old's diagnosis is just over a year old.

We were delighted to learn about it from her doctor, as Disney is both my daughter's favorite place; and the doctor's (who has the same health issue). We've always enjoyed being pre-planners, and pre-diagnosis, had our "system" for each park that worked for us to be able to enjoy all our favorites.

We had annual passes this past year, so we had just developed our "NEW" DAS system for each of the parks, and with some fine tuning, were able to do almost everything we enjoyed without issues (except for the one day when DAS wasn't working the way it should, and we ended up with a major situation - had the DAS been staffed properly, we would have been fine).

1) VIDEO CHAT - I'm still traumatized :) by the hours on hold this past year. Does anyone know when this might go live? I'm expecting days on hold and IT glitches, so this does not seem like it will be fun??

I'm also assuming the DAS guest needs to be on the video chat- which is my 18 year old who is now out of state at college. If SHE has to be the one "applying" for the DAS, then there would be no way to plan a surprise trip for her utilizing that pre-DAS process, right?

2) We've learned to go up to the blue canopies or the ride itself to obtain a return time; if we want to utilized the new system for a return time which is "available throught the Genie"; do we have to purchase the Genie add on to use that feature? Or can we just "schedule" a return time the way we used to add a FastPass?

I'm not worried about being "eligible" for the Pass - I'm just overwhelmed with the new system and planning - right when we'd finally learned to use - and so appreciated the current system.

Under the new system there will be two ways to acquire DAS: 1) in advance via videoconference; OR 2) in person on site at Guest Services. So you could do the surprise trip, but you would have use option (2). Alternatively, option (1) can be done upto IIRC 2 days in advance of the trip, so perhaps the surprise could be announced a few days in advance and the DAS acquired then (vs weeks out) ?

2) No. Adding the DAS Return time through Genie is *separate from* the paid Genie+ feature [and can be used in addition to both Genie+ and/or the paid Individual Attraction Selection if you wish]. My understanding is it would be kind of similar to what adding a new fastpass was like; you would choose the attraction you want from a list, select it, and it would provide you with the DAS Return Time. Presumably it will give you information about current standby times at each attraction to help you make your choice.

Under the new system there will be two ways to acquire DAS: 1) in advance via videoconference; OR 2) in person on site at Guest Services. So you could do the surprise trip, but you would have use option (2). Alternatively, option (1) can be done upto IIRC 2 days in advance of the trip, so perhaps the surprise could be announced a few days in advance and the DAS acquired then (vs weeks out) ?

2) No. Adding the DAS Return time through Genie is *separate from* the paid Genie+ feature [and can be used in addition to both Genie+ and/or the paid Individual Attraction Selection if you wish]. My understanding is it would be kind of similar to what adding a new fastpass was like; you would choose the attraction you want from a list, select it, and it would provide you with the DAS Return Time. Presumably it will give you information about current standby times at each attraction to help you make your choice.

Thanks so much! That is so helpful! I generally do cave and announce the surprises a day or two before we go, so that might work!

Does anyone have any more info as to when the pre online interview registration would be available?

Thanks you.

it has not been announced when it will go live or exactly how it will be accessed.
Some have reported they were told it will be a link in the MDE app/website.
Since it is a video chat, it won’t involve being on the phones used for reservations, etc.
You are correct. Since she is over 18, she will be applying for herself (unless she is an adult with a legal guardian). Besides the video chat option, she could still apply in person.
No matter what the age, the guest applying for DAS must be introduced on the video call and a picture taken of them. This is screenshot of the DAS info that has been released so far.438039B3-E6AD-4FA7-94A1-CB21C9C9D606.jpeg

The information released so far by Disney lists 3 ways to get a DAS Return Time; From the MDE app, at the attraction, at a Guest Relations location (which would include the blue umbrellas or roaming Guest Relations staff).
GENIE and Genie+ are part of the MDE app from what has been written. It’s not clear what part of the MDE app guests will be getting DAS Return Times from. In the past, CMs were not using the Fastpass part of MDE; it was a different part that used wait times.
6FDF1CB9-889F-4E4E-8A73-CE2EFE836617.jpeg

Genie+ are Individual Attraction Selections are separate and can be purchased to use alongside DAS.

I really like that you can do this ahead of time and that they can schedule 2 per day of your trip, that part I didn’t read initially. I was just so excited about being able to do it ahead of time and in a more private setting. I’m guessing that they will give you times based on when their algorithms tells them it will likely be less busy which for most people using this service could potentially be a huge advantage, that’s if the algorithms actually work. I really hope the virtual sign-up is up and running before our trip at the end of Oct. Has anyone read anywhere about how adding members of your party to the pass will work with this pre registration? I would like to assume that as long as they are connected thru your MDE account they can add them ahead of time but we all know how assuming goes 😝.

I really like that you can do this ahead of time and that they can schedule 2 per day of your trip, that part I didn’t read initially. I was just so excited about being able to do it ahead of time and in a more private setting. I’m guessing that they will give you times based on when their algorithms tells them it will likely be less busy which for most people using this service could potentially be a huge advantage, that’s if the algorithms actually work. I really hope the virtual sign-up is up and running before our trip at the end of Oct. Has anyone read anywhere about how adding members of your party to the pass will work with this pre registration? I would like to assume that as long as they are connected thru your MDE account they can add them ahead of time but we all know how assuming goes 😝.
That has not been addressed yet, but in the ‘live version’ previously, the system showed anyone who was listed in our MDE and was able to add them. The CM in June only read our daughter’s Magicband, not my husband‘s or mine since he saw us in the app.
My guess is they will add guests the same way on the video chat registration - if the DAS guest is adding DAS Advance Selections, those other members of the party would need to be linked in order to add them.

it has not been announced when it will go live or exactly how it will be accessed.
Some have reported they were told it will be a link in the MDE app/website.
Since it is a video chat, it won’t involve being on the phones used for reservations, etc.

You are correct. Since she is over 18, she will be applying for herself (unless she is an adult with a legal guardian). Besides the video chat option, she could still apply in person.
No matter what the age, the guest applying for DAS must be introduced on the video call and a picture taken of them. This is screenshot of the DAS info that has been released so far.View attachment 603148

The information released so far by Disney lists 3 ways to get a DAS Return Time; From the MDE app, at the attraction, at a Guest Relations location (which would include the blue umbrellas or roaming Guest Relations staff).
GENIE and Genie+ are part of the MDE app from what has been written. It’s not clear what part of the MDE app guests will be getting DAS Return Times from. In the past, CMs were not using the Fastpass part of MDE; it was a different part that used wait times.
View attachment 603149

Genie+ are Individual Attraction Selections are separate and can be purchased to use alongside DAS.

Thank you SO much for your very clear and helpful information.

So, yesterday I was able to find crazy good airfare...so I did book a 2 night/3 day trip for December. RT airfare for 3 for less than $200!! So, despite our July messy trip, since we have a few months left on our Annual Passes, I am cautiously considering Disney- ing for those three days.

I did tell my 18 year old (who needs the DAS), since there won't be any way to surprise her and utilize the best features of the DAS...and she was so super happy; I'm still a little worried that the new system won't be ready...

Just really hoping things will be up and running before December, and she can do the online DAS request process in time to pre-plan (which we really need to do for her for multiple reasons). I'm assuming there is still no date for the rollout of this stuff...so grateful for everyone here who keep things updated.

Worse case scenario, we fly down for $200, and then head to Discovery Cove.

Thank you all so much for the information. As this is likely my last trip to Disney, due to my medical condition. I am trying to get it setup so it is as easy as possible. I am wondering if any knows if I can use the prebook DAS for restaurants?

As someone who has a limited amount of oxygen I am stressing out about waiting for Space 220, as I can't get a reservation for it

Thank you all so much for the information. As this is likely my last trip to Disney, due to my medical condition. I am trying to get it setup so it is as easy as possible. I am wondering if any knows if I can use the prebook DAS for restaurants?

As someone who has a limited amount of oxygen I am stressing out about waiting for Space 220, as I can't get a reservation for it

DAS has never been used for restaurants. Or transportation or any lines but attraction lines. There is no indication that this is changing. I don't see how it could be used to "prebook" restaurants - that would be a reservation.

DAS has never been used for restaurants. Or transportation or any lines but attraction lines. There is no indication that this is changing. I don't see how it could be used to "prebook" restaurants - that would be a reservation.
Thank you so much for the quick response. I didn't think so. But the disability system is so complicated, as it covers almost every condition. I struggle to wrap my head around it. I just was thinking with this possible two advanced bookings using the video chat. I should have a list of priorities for each day. So I can get some things lined up.

I am wondering if any knows if I can use the prebook DAS for restaurants?
As PP mentioned, DAS is only for attraction queues. It does nothing for dining, transportation, resorts, etc.

When is your trip? Right now, I believe ADRs are only available 60 days in advance. Also, the DAS changes that correspond with Genie have not yet rolled out. We don't have a date, though I've heard rumor of Genie starting in mid-October and assume the DAS changes will occur around the same time as the Genie roll-out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter