WDW Annual Pass Timing Speculation

The causes for DVC sales being down are many. One maybe the lack of AP sales, but general economic conditions have much more to do with it, I would think. We have had 2+ years of high inflation, the real estate market is in a state of confusion, Fed fund rates have gone from zero to 5%, etc, etc. AP's might be pretty far down the list actually.
Agree - I'm sure there are some who value the APs coming back more than others, but overall there are many more factors involved with the resale market. I know DVC owners who have never owned an AP.

The causes for DVC sales being down are many. One maybe the lack of AP sales, but general economic conditions have much more to do with it, I would think. We have had 2+ years of high inflation, the real estate market is in a state of confusion, Fed fund rates have gone from zero to 5%, etc, etc. AP's might be pretty far down the list actually.
For first-time buyers, I would perhaps agree, however, I think that in terms of existing member add-ons, I think that the lack of AP is very high up on the list. Why add on more points if you have to shell out for tickets again? On the DVC boards this is a very common theme. It has fundamentally changed how people view the DVC program. Heck, even for first time buyers, why would you ever consider a high point contract now?

Personally, we have too many DVC points now. It's amazing how our stays have changed. Since the parks reopened, we've only been back for 2 days in WDW on paid tickets and that was for MNSSHP and the Boo Bash they had the first year. We've changed habits by staying more at Aulani, Vero, and Hilton Head, but you can't do that forever (OK, not sure I'd ever get tired of Aulani, but I digress...). That's getting close to 3 years where we have only spent 3-4 days in a WDW park over those 3 years. We used to go probably an average of 10 days a year, if not more.

So perhaps we are not the kind of visitor WDW wants, but I don't think there is an endless supply of first time "whales" waiting to visit.

But even summer bookings for Dvc aren’t amazing, there is far more availability still than normal at this point.

But even summer bookings for Dvc aren’t amazing, there is far more availability still than normal at this point.
Summer has long been a slower DVC booking season. Far more popular time for DVC is fall, from the opening of F&W straight through the winter holiday season, ending with marathon weekend in January.

Yikes.

How about Option F: Become friends with someone that has an AP voucher (not a renewal but a brand new one!) and buy it from them? Easy enough to transfer on MDE.
You would still need to activate it, which is where you would have to prove residency.

Even if they did online approval I'm sure once transferred the new passholder would have to prove themselves.

You would still need to activate it, which is where you would have to prove residency.

Even if they did online approval I'm sure once transferred the new passholder would have to prove themselves.
No, there’s no need to prove residency if you aren’t activating a FL resident specific pass.

No, there’s no need to prove residency if you aren’t activating a FL resident specific pass.
They are only selling one of the Florida Resident passes. So you are saying someone that has been holding a non-resident pass voucher from over a year ago? Those vouchers expire for credit in one year, which we are past.

Terms & Conditions

A Pass will expire if it is not activated within one (1) year from the date of purchase, and upon expiration, such expired Pass may no longer be activated or have park reservations scheduled for it, and any existing park reservations for such Pass will be cancelled. No refunds will be given. The original Pass may not be transferred, and the amount paid for the original Pass may not be redeemed for cash or be used for any other purpose other than the purchase of another Pass or ticket. However, the amount paid for an unactivated, expired Pass may be applied towards the purchase of a new Pass or ticket (subject to availability) at the then current price so long as the new Pass or ticket purchase price is equal to or greater than the amount paid for the original Pass.

They are only selling one of the Florida Resident passes. So you are saying someone that has been holding a non-resident pass voucher from over a year ago? Those vouchers expire for credit in one year, which we are past.

Terms & Conditions

A Pass will expire if it is not activated within one (1) year from the date of purchase, and upon expiration, such expired Pass may no longer be activated or have park reservations scheduled for it, and any existing park reservations for such Pass will be cancelled. No refunds will be given. The original Pass may not be transferred, and the amount paid for the original Pass may not be redeemed for cash or be used for any other purpose other than the purchase of another Pass or ticket. However, the amount paid for an unactivated, expired Pass may be applied towards the purchase of a new Pass or ticket (subject to availability) at the then current price so long as the new Pass or ticket purchase price is equal to or greater than the amount paid for the original Pass.
Yes, I am saying there are people holding non-expired, non-FL resident annual passes.

I believe they only expire in one year if you bought one of the newly named passes. If you had the old passes, eg Platinum instead of Incredi-pass, they expired much later. Mine showed 2030 as the expiry date.

(I created a new profile on MDE out of curiosity and was able to reassign the unexpired pass, but didn’t take it any further than that.)

Yes, I am saying there are people holding non-expired, non-FL resident annual passes.

I believe they only expire in one year if you bought one of the newly named passes. If you had the old passes, eg Platinum instead of Incredi-pass, they expired much later. Mine showed 2030 as the expiry date.

(I created a new profile on MDE out of curiosity and was able to reassign the unexpired pass, but didn’t take it any further than that.)
I'd give my left leg for an opportunity to purchase an AP right now!!!

Okay. But my guess there aren't that many out there at that level, unused. And I can't imagine what someone would charge you for it given the high demand right now. Starting bid at $4000 or would you take less? I wouldn't. Bet it would be the slim to none way of getting an annual pass but one can hope. And as a buyer I'd be very suspicious if it would actually transfer given current terms and the conversion to the new pass levels. Too many what ifs.

I think allowing DVC members to purchase an annual pass would be a good compromise to push purchases of new DVC properties. They've got the new wing in the Polynesian coming soon that they'll need to sell, and if sales are down in general, it could be a catalyst to push others in.

I think allowing DVC members to purchase an annual pass would be a good compromise to push purchases of new DVC properties. They've got the new wing in the Polynesian coming soon that they'll need to sell, and if sales are down in general, it could be a catalyst to push others in.
You know I never understood why there wasn't a DVC ONLY Annual Pass. It could have it's own "amenities" and discounts and could be custom tailored to just the DVC members. And if you sell your DVC, your pass is void.

Then offer just two Florida Resident passes, Pixie and something that merges Pirate & Sorcerer.

And the top level, for anyone, pass.

While I know buying a DVC came with no attachment or promise of AP access, I personally would not buy into the program without it unless I only planned to visit once per year, only needing regular tickets. My point in buying there would to go to the parks.

Okay. But my guess there aren't that many out there at that level, unused. And I can't imagine what someone would charge you for it given the high demand right now. Starting bid at $4000 or would you take less? I wouldn't. Bet it would be the slim to none way of getting an annual pass but one can hope. And as a buyer I'd be very suspicious if it would actually transfer given current terms and the conversion to the new pass levels. Too many what ifs.
Hard to say how many are out there. I know our friends thought we were insane when we stocked up on APs and told them to do the same. I would transfer it to a good friend for what I paid (~$700? I don’t remember exactly.) I suspect some haven’t even linked their vouchers to MDE in which case the new owner can simply put in the purchase directly.

It’s not a highly likely method of obtaining an AP but compared to moving to Florida, or getting an AP for Paris, or causing oneself bodily injury/sale of body parts… seemed like a better alternative.

Hard to say how many are out there. I know our friends thought we were insane when we stocked up on APs and told them to do the same. I would transfer it to a good friend for what I paid (~$700? I don’t remember exactly.) I suspect some haven’t even linked their vouchers to MDE in which case the new owner can simply put in the purchase directly.

It’s not a highly likely method of obtaining an AP but compared to moving to Florida, or getting an AP for Paris, or causing oneself bodily injury/sale of body parts… seemed like a better alternative.
If you go often enough rent a one bedroom apartment close enough that you wouldn't need to pay for hotel. No phone, no cable, no internet, keep thermostat bare minimum. Might be worth it. The money saved on tickets helps go to the rent.

Last edited:
Didn't realize they werent activated until you showed ID - well there goes that theory haha. You can buy online without showing ID though.
You can buy it without an ID but you cannot activate without proof of Florida residency. Note that WDW does allow seasonal residents to buy and prove residency. Basically, a bank account, utilities, or mortgage of a Florida property. We are Iowa residents but have been able to buy the FL rate AP as we own a property in FL. Timeshares don’t count. We really appreciate this which I don’t believe UO does. Keeps us going to WDW.

You can buy it without an ID but you cannot activate without proof of Florida residency. Note that WDW does allow seasonal residents to buy and prove residency. Basically, a bank account, utilities, or mortgage of a Florida property. We are Iowa residents but have been able to buy the FL rate AP as we own a property in FL. Timeshares don’t count. We really appreciate this which I don’t believe UO does. Keeps us going to WDW.
What about if you live in a shack or tent under the bridge? Does that count as Florida residency?

What about if you live in a shack or tent under the bridge? Does that count as Florida residency?
The Disney website is very clear on proof of residency requirements. We have always adhered to them. Seasonal residence is something they have adopted but you must meet their requirements.

Summer has long been a slower DVC booking season. Far more popular time for DVC is fall, from the opening of F&W straight through the winter holiday season, ending with marathon weekend in January.

Yes slower but not this slow. It is really slow and we even tried to rent points out and its been a month with no bites.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter