WDW Annual Pass Timing Speculation

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but wanted to ask here so I didn't feel crazy (or miss an opportunity). A friend of mine is DVC and has been wanting me to join. I've told her I won't until the annual pass discount returns as a perk, but she told me today that this perk has returned. Is this true or am I right in thinking she's incorrect?
You are correct. Your friend might have an active annual pass that she is able to renew, so she thinks the perk is back. But no one can buy NEW "DVC" passes yet. (Sorcerer pass is DVC and FL res only).

I am really hoping the passes come back before my May trip so I can apply the price of the Tix I already bought for that trip, especially as we'd like to go again in December.

You are correct. Your friend might have an active annual pass that she is able to renew, so she thinks the perk is back. But no one can buy NEW "DVC" passes yet. (Sorcerer pass is DVC and FL res only).

I am really hoping the passes come back before my May trip so I can apply the price of the Tix I already bought for that trip, especially as we'd like to go again in December.
I think APs are dead until economy is under recession. I am more optimistic than a year ago that they will keep the renewal pathway open.

To me, everyone who marginally likes Disney who is eligible for a WDW pass should at least get a Pixie Pass while they still can.

Inversely, if you have an interest in regular DL admission, get that Magic Key while you still can. I’m not sure if they let you downgrade a year in but that seems a great way to ensure you have a MK.

I think APs are dead until economy is under recession. I am more optimistic than a year ago that they will keep the renewal pathway open.

To me, everyone who marginally likes Disney who is eligible for a WDW pass should at least get a Pixie Pass while they still can.

Inversely, if you have an interest in regular DL admission, get that Magic Key while you still can. I’m not sure if they let you downgrade a year in but that seems a great way to ensure you have a MK.

I wonder what would happen if I bought a pixie pass and never used it. Would I be able to renew it into a Sorcerer pass next year and change my address?

I wonder what would happen if I bought a pixie pass and never used it. Would I be able to renew it into a Sorcerer pass next year and change my address?
It won't work. Passes aren't activated until you use them. They just sit in your account and don't expire. To activate a pixie pass you need proof of your Florida residence. (Not sure if you need proof to buy them period...my DVC membership is listed on my account, allowing me to buy sorcerer's pass back when you could....but we still needed proof to activate at the park.

It won't work. Passes aren't activated until you use them. They just sit in your account and don't expire. To activate a pixie pass you need proof of your Florida residence. (Not sure if you need proof to buy them period...my DVC membership is listed on my account, allowing me to buy sorcerer's pass back when you could....but we still needed proof to activate at the park.
You do need to show proof of Florida residence for buying a Pixie pass. Even when my sister went to go pick up the physical AP card, she had to show her Florida driver's license to prove she lived there.

You do need to show proof of Florida residence for buying a Pixie pass. Even when my sister went to go pick up the physical AP card, she had to show her Florida driver's license to prove she lived there.

Didn't realize they werent activated until you showed ID - well there goes that theory haha. You can buy online without showing ID though.

Didn't realize they werent activated until you showed ID - well there goes that theory haha. You can buy online without showing ID though.
My sister had to supply a Florida residence when she bought hers online. If I try to buy a Pixie, it won't let me by default due to my out of state residence. She was only asked to show her driver's license for getting the physical card (which you don't need as you can just show your AP in MDE).

My sister had to supply a Florida residence when she bought hers online. If I try to buy a Pixie, it won't let me by default due to my out of state residence. She was only asked to show her driver's license for getting the physical card (which you don't need as you can just show your AP in MDE).

Oh interesting - okay. Was worth a mental shot although im sure other people have thought about that before also haha

If Disney has made a decision to make Walt Disney World annual passes a Florida resident program only -- favoring local Florida residents -- and grandfathering in the existing non-Florida residents until they do not renew, then that is Disney's choice and Disney's alone? No? That doesn't make their CEO "norrible."

This could be the "new normal." The "entry" requirement for new annual pass program appears to be Florida residents only and they have to start with a Pixie Dust pass for a year. If Disney made that decision, they have no requirement to announce it and it is their decision alone to make. No input from fans required.
You are”norrible” Bob Iger

At this point, here is the most efficient way to become an Annual Passholder:

Option A: WDW Option
1. Move to Florida
2. Live there long enough to become a legal “resident”. Get necessary documentation, government ID, etc.
3. Use that status to get a Pixie Pass
4. 60 days prior to renewal of your Pixie Pass, use this to become an Annual Passholder at the level you would like.

Option B:
1. Log onto the Disneyland Paris Website in French
2. Get a Disneyland Paris Annual Pass

Option C:
1. Hope Magic Key sales resume at some point
2. Log in at exactly the right moment
3. Get a Disneyland Annual Pass

Option D:
1. Accumulate significant means and influence in society
2. Persuade Disney you have the means and influence to justify a Club 33 Membership
3. Join Club 33 and have a Passport

Option E:
1. Bang your head against a wall
2. Pray for a recession and or the reinstatement of Michael Eisner, or maybe even the resurrection of Frank Wells or Walt himself…
3. See that Disney has re-opened AP sales to new non-resident members.

I feel Disney has more or less spoken on the issue. WDW is still selling new passes, just in highly limited circumstances. I do not see them reopening the AP sales for the foreseeable future. January’s announcements were to me, the final nail in the coffin.

I view Options A-D as the most efficient and likely ways to get an annual pass at this point. Unsure if the parks in Asia offer APs at this point.
Yikes.

How about Option F: Become friends with someone that has an AP voucher (not a renewal but a brand new one!) and buy it from them? Easy enough to transfer on MDE.

I don't think so.

If it was a major change, like transitioning the Walt Disney World annual pass program towards Florida residents only, then no, it would not be in the hands of Josh D'Amaro. Such a change would have been staffed with the top three executives at least; Iger, D'Amaro and McCarthy. Interestingly enough, those are the three who have made comments.

When compared to the hypothesis that this is the new normal, the comments and responses to interviews of all three of these people falls in line with this is "the new normal." When Josh responds to direct questions about when the sale of new annual passes will resume at Disney World, he responds with explaining how Disneyland and Disney World are very different parks to manage. Disney World is an international destination resort. Disneyland is more of a locals park.

It appears to me from the context of his response and the way he delivers his response, Josh is explaining an executive decision and a new direction.

McCarthy responds to questions about recession and attendance not with an answer that they will start selling annual passes again, but with an explanation that they have many levers. Some of those levers include special ticket sales or discounts on rooms. They have special ticket sales in the UK for admission below the prices of sales domestically, even to Florida residents. Chapek and Iger talk about the mix of attendance and making room for the tourists. Not one of them indicated that continuous sales of new annual passes at Disney World, other than the Pixie Pass was imminent or even a mid-term expectation.

Yet, through all this time, Disney continues to sell new Pixie passes and then makes it so passholders can enter parks after 2 p.m. without a reservation, clearly favoring the local passholder who likes to attend spontaneously.

The executives also talked about how a reduction of 17% in 2021 from the crowd level of 2019 and a reduction of 20% in 2022 has resulted in increased profits per guest per day. The spend rate of tourists is 40% above the passholder so they are seeking the right "mix."

If they have talked about the spend rate, dynamic pricing for crowd days vs lower prices other days, dynamic pricing for Genie+, the entire concept of monetizing line-jumping (with Genie + and $ILL), discount sales targeted at foreign visitors, a year's waiting period for buying at a higher tier for Pixie passholders and price increases like we have seen, you can "bet your believe it" that the highest levels of the company also talked about the annual pass program at Walt Disney World. I think there has been a decision here.

Do you know what "circumstantial evidence" is? For example, if you look outside and everything is wet, the trees are dripping water, the streets are wet and there are clouds in the sky and puddles on the ground, a reasonable person would say it has rained. That's circumstantial evidence. Generally, trustworthy circumstantial evidence can be relied on as evidence the same as direct evidence. I think that there is plenty of circumstantial evidence here to indicate some executive decision might have been made already. It is enough evidence to form a hypothesis in that direction, at least until somebody directly announces new annual pass sales are open to all, including non-Florida residents at the higher tiers. I no longer anticipate the "pause" is "temporary." I think there are clues this is a new normal.
Except that it's killing their other markets. DVC is in freefall on the resale markets and new DVC sales had their lowest sales month ever in February. Year over year it was down almost 50%. Part of the appeal of DVC, like it or not, was tied into the idea of annual passes and visiting multiple times over a year or getting two trips in over two years with one AP (visiting early July one year, late June the next).

Now, without AP's, DVC members just aren't doing as many multiple trips a year and if they do, many are doing resort only stays (some staying at DVC and visiting UO). The effect of this is that people just don't need to have more points than one stay a year and have a) stopped purchasing more points from DVC (add-ons by existing members were a large portion of DVC sales), and b) have begun to unload excess points on the resale market, which combined with no ROFR exercise from DVD has rapidly depressed the market. I would also guess (but admittedly don't have data to back it up) that many members are increasing renting out points which puts them in direct competition with Disney Cash Rooms. That DVC rental can be much cheaper.

Now, maybe Disney doesn't want to see more DVC membership (I personally think that the market is saturated, but I've thought that before), but DVC members tend to be the ones that kept coming in times like 2008-09. Or, maybe, DVD and Parks just have differing goals. Initially, in the post-pandemic period, many people were just happy to go back, so they probably bought tickets for that first trip back. However, that wears off eventually and I think what you are seeing in the DVC market bears this out. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out...

Except that it's killing their other markets. DVC is in freefall on the resale markets and new DVC sales had their lowest sales month ever in February. Year over year it was down almost 50%. Part of the appeal of DVC, like it or not, was tied into the idea of annual passes and visiting multiple times over a year or getting two trips in over two years with one AP (visiting early July one year, late June the next).

Now, without AP's, DVC members just aren't doing as many multiple trips a year and if they do, many are doing resort only stays (some staying at DVC and visiting UO). The effect of this is that people just don't need to have more points than one stay a year and have a) stopped purchasing more points from DVC (add-ons by existing members were a large portion of DVC sales), and b) have begun to unload excess points on the resale market, which combined with no ROFR exercise from DVD has rapidly depressed the market. I would also guess (but admittedly don't have data to back it up) that many members are increasing renting out points which puts them in direct competition with Disney Cash Rooms. That DVC rental can be much cheaper.

Now, maybe Disney doesn't want to see more DVC membership (I personally think that the market is saturated, but I've thought that before), but DVC members tend to be the ones that kept coming in times like 2008-09. Or, maybe, DVD and Parks just have differing goals. Initially, in the post-pandemic period, many people were just happy to go back, so they probably bought tickets for that first trip back. However, that wears off eventually and I think what you are seeing in the DVC market bears this out. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out...
The causes for DVC sales being down are many. One maybe the lack of AP sales, but general economic conditions have much more to do with it, I would think. We have had 2+ years of high inflation, the real estate market is in a state of confusion, Fed fund rates have gone from zero to 5%, etc, etc. AP's might be pretty far down the list actually.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter