Wave Phone Details

ssanders79

NO FLASH photography means just that!

DCL Wave Phone - Size Comparison by ssanders79, on Flickr

Just back from a 5 night on the Magic and here is the scoop on the Wave Phones.

Upon check in you will be asked to sign a new waiver. This is a Wave Phone waiver acknowledging the fact that there is a replacement cost of $250/each.

Once you get to your stateroom you will find 2 (or 4) Wave phones, 1 charger and Wave Phone Instructional Guide (pdf) on the desk.

Each phone is assigned a number based on your stateroom followed by a sequential number 1, 2, ect. For example, we were in stateroom 2628 so the numbers were 26281 and 26282.

You can rent more if for other people in your stateroom for $3.50/day. Most rooms have 2 while the suites have 4. You have the option to opt out and not use them. There is no cost to use them, just a charge if you loose or damage a unit.

The phone has a handsfree headset jack on the side.

DCL Wave Phone - Side by ssanders79, on Flickr

The Wave phones have replaced the pagers used by Youth Activies. The phones have texting abilities and service on the ship & Castaway Cay.

Below are the screenshots from the phones display.
As you can see all the red items are locked. For example you could not add contacts, which was disappointing because the other stateroom handset(s) is not entered as a contact. Both units we had did not allow you to change the ringtone, in fact, it was set to vibrate only. At first this was a bit annoying, but in reality it makes sence. These would be ring all the time all over the ship.

DCL Wave Phone - Screenshots by ssanders79, on Flickr

One major issue as with all (with a few exceptions) phones; they are NOT WATERPROOF!!! We saw a teenager run back to his mother at Castaway Cay with a soaked phone that he had in his swim trunks while snorkling. OUCH!!!!

DCL Wave Phone - Back by ssanders79, on Flickr

Thanks for putting those details up ... it's really helpful to know these new things!

This will be so much easier than leaving messages on our stateroom door!!

I don't like that it is only in vibration mode. I would like to keep this with me but not necessarily on me.

I don't like that it is only in vibration mode. I would like to keep this with me but not necessarily on me.

Can you imagine the NOISE all over the ship if they allowed these things to RING? UGH! Thank GOODNESS they are only set to vibrate. It looks as though a voice message can be left - so just check your messages every so often. Problem solved! :)

Very cool! As posted in another thread.

YouTube Video:
dsc0177ii.jpg

Logo_NEC_Philips.jpg
NEC_G955.gif

The DECT handset G955 is a sophisticated wireless handset for use in professional office environments providing the mobile user the optimum in mobility, accessibility, flexibility and comfort.

The DECT handset G955 brings mobile communication for DECT users to the highest level:
• An appealing design and intuitive user interface
• Colour display and icon based menu for ease of use
• Scratch-protected user design
• Provides valuable information to the user, reducing central directory access, personal phone book and calendar entries
• Enhanced comfort and flexibility by adding options such as a Bluetooth headset
• Gives users full control over their accessibility
• Provides many call control features seamlessly integrated with the PBX
• DECT compliance for high quality speech and security
• Provides an excellent communications device for organizations that rely on messaging or alarm information sent to employees, such as in hospitals and hotel environments
• Is easy to service and maintain

Technology DECT (Digital Enhanced Cordless Telecommunications)
Range inside 50 meter
Range outside 300 meter

Talk time 12 hours
Stand-by time 120 hours
Handset dimensions: 126 x 45 x 20 mm (5" long by slightly over 1.75" wide and 0.75" thick)

http://www.nec-ipdect.com/sheets/G955_handset_brochure.pdf

http://development.nec-unified.com/pdf-download/DECT_G955_User_Guide.pdf

Can you imagine the NOISE all over the ship if they allowed these things to RING? UGH! Thank GOODNESS they are only set to vibrate. It looks as though a voice message can be left - so just check your messages every so often. Problem solved! :)

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Sorry but I think it will be a pain to have to check for messages every 5-10 minutes. I don't exactly want to be attached to a phone 24/7 on my vacation. However since they are taking place of the pagers for the kids clubs (which did have a sound option) it does not look like I will have any choice.

I don't seem to remember hearing constant paging sounds on our previous cruises. It does not have to be a full on ring but some kind of audible alert would be a nice option. I am sure many people would choose the vibration option anyway.

Doesn't look like anything hubby and I will use as we're always together.

Doesn't look like anything hubby and I will use as we're always together.

I would usually say the same thing. However, they came in handy with DD's naptime. It was a quiet way to communicate with DW and make sure I did not come back early and disrupt naptime.

The only concern I have is they don't have any type of clip like a pager does to clip onto a belt. Sure DH can put it in his pocket, but I don't wear pockets- and if we are by the pool while the kids are in the club neither of us will have pockets.

I wonder if I can find the measurements if I can 'make' a little pouch to put it in......

The only concern I have is they don't have any type of clip like a pager does to clip onto a belt. Sure DH can put it in his pocket, but I don't wear pockets- and if we are by the pool while the kids are in the club neither of us will have pockets.

I wonder if I can find the measurements if I can 'make' a little pouch to put it in......

Measurements are located at the bottom of post #6.

I never even knew the pagers for the kids clubs had the option except for vibrate. I agree that it would be nothing short of annoying w/phones ringing all over the ship; dinner, shows, etc. On our cruise last October there was no clip with the pager. I thought that was something new until I was asked about it when I turned it in on the last night. It worked out fine; I usually don't have anywhere to clip it when cruising and I am one of those weird people who walk around with my Blackberry in my hand most of the time.

I did some research as well since DGS (10) will carry one and there are no belt clips on them
It is a Philips/NEC G955
According to the spec sheet the dimensions are:
126mm x 45mm x 20mm which is 4.96" long x 1.77" wide x .79" thick
It weighs 89gm or 2.82oz.
There appear to be no clips or holsters available in the US from what I could find. I am going to make a block of wood the same size and go to the local flea market where they have all those cell phone holsters piled up in mountains and find some that would work.
You would think that a clip for your lanyard would be a smart thing and the clips and covers are available per the spec sheet but duh Disney you screwed up on this one methinks

I did some research as well since DGS (10) will carry one and there are no belt clips on them
It is a Philips/NEC G955
According to the spec sheet the dimensions are:
126mm x 45mm x 20mm which is 4.96" long x 1.77" wide x .79" thick
It weighs 89gm or 2.82oz.
There appear to be no clips or holsters available in the US from what I could find. I am going to make a block of wood the same size and go to the local flea market where they have all those cell phone holsters piled up in mountains and find some that would work.
You would think that a clip for your lanyard would be a smart thing and the clips and covers are available per the spec sheet but duh Disney you screwed up on this one methinks

There are belt clips avaliable as I saw cast members with the same phone attached to their belts.

Ihere appear to be no clips or holsters available in the US from what I could find. I am going to make a block of wood the same size and go to the local flea market where they have all those cell phone holsters piled up in mountains and find some that would work.
That's a fantastic idea! Let me know if you find one - maybe I can find one on ebay.

I understand the replacement cost if it is damaged or lost and never found. Is there a "Oh No! I left it on a table by the pool" and it was turned in option available?:confused3

There are belt clips avaliable as I saw cast members with the same phone attached to their belts.

They're an OEM item available to corporate purchasers. If you look at the User Guide PDF linked, there's a special tool required to install a belt clip.

g955-slidepicture.jpg

I'm going to make myself sound like a complete germophobe but does anyone happen to know if they clean these phones in between cruises? :)

I was going to go to Claire's and try to find a purse-like thing so that DD (age 7, nearly 8) can carry the phone with her if she wants it. I figure if we give her one that goes across her body, we can let her do stuff with her new friends alone for short periods of time.

She's already suggested that she might want to do this, so we'd want her to have the phone with her. Given her propensity to lose everything, an across the body purse (that she is forbidden to remove) would be the best option for her. I figure if I can find something pink and glittery, she'll be ok keeping it on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter