Wave Phone Details

So, can you call other stateroom phones to get in contact with people you are traveling with or is it just between your own stateroom phones and the kids clubs?

So, can you call other stateroom phones to get in contact with people you are traveling with or is it just between your own stateroom phones and the kids clubs?

You can call other staterooms too. It is also preprogramed with numbers for guest services, room service, maintenance, PALS character line, etc.

You can call other staterooms too. It is also preprogramed with numbers for guest services, room service, maintenance, PALS character line, etc.

That's great! I guess I'll gave the whiteboard off of my packing list.

sorry if this has been answered before but will reservations you make (Palo, Brunch, wine tasting, etc) and other selected activities you are interested in for the family (bingo, shows, etc) be available on the phone in the calender?

sorry if this has been answered before but will reservations you make (Palo, Brunch, wine tasting, etc) and other selected activities you are interested in for the family (bingo, shows, etc) be available on the phone in the calender?

No, the phones we had did not allow for adding events to the calendar and our booked events were not "pushed" to the handsets.

These phones have some potential to do way more, but it looks like DCL is keeping it simple and using them as a direct replacement for the pager with the bonus of a wireless phone.

Keep in mind that the more features avaliable the more support DCL will be forced to offer. Just allowing you to use your own bluetooth headsets would end up causing many calls/visits to guest services to set them up. Not something DCL wants to deal with I'm sure.

I don't know why everybody is complaining. people check their cell phones all day every day for emails, texts and messages for their jobs/careers. IMHO, I will check the phone as much as possible to make sure there is nothing wrong with my children or if they have had enough of the kids clubs and want to spend some more time with me and my husband.
Looking forward to using the wave phone in October on the Dream. :cool1: :confused3

I don't know why everybody is complaining. people check their cell phones all day every day for emails, texts and messages for their jobs/careers. IMHO, I will check the phone as much as possible to make sure there is nothing wrong with my children or if they have had enough of the kids clubs and want to spend some more time with me and my husband.
Looking forward to using the wave phone in October on the Dream. :cool1: :confused3

Almost every phone sold these days has Bluetooth capability, so I was just hoping that we would be able to use that capability w/ these phones.

Since they don't have a secure way to be kept on your person... the Bluetooth idea is a good option, especially since many people already have headseats or earpieces for their own phones.

It isn't a complaint per se, just an observation that it would make life easier if the option was available. I didn't think of the support issue. Dh and I are fairly savvy when it comes to phones & computer stuff so it wasn't something I considered. I agree the support thing could become a nightmare, it still would be a nice thing to have though! ;)

Has anyone tried taking one off the ship other then castaway key?

How far away from the ship did it work?

We have phones similar to those at my work (hospital) They work in the immediate area of the hosp up to about 1/3 block away, but don't make it to the parking garage.

I don't plan on taking them off the ship other than Castaway. They must have a booster on the island to make them work there.

They are too expensive to lose on an excursion.

I don't know why everybody is complaining. people check their cell phones all day every day for emails, texts and messages for their jobs/careers.

By "people" you must mean "some people." My employer doesn't even have my cell phone number, I don't use my cell phone at work, and in fact I so rarely have mine on that my voice mail message says, "Don't leave important messages here; I'm not likely to get it the day you leave it." Oh, and I just disabled the texting capability because I don't text yet I was receiving texts about Wal-Mart gift cards. :confused3

I am a proud member of the non-cell phone addict club, and I am dismayed to see these phones introduced on cruise ships. Used to be one of the few places one could get away from people living virtually.:rolleyes:

Personally, I like the idea of the Wave Phones. From what I understand these are replacing the pagers for the kids clubs. So, those of us with kids using the clubs will find these a necessity. Plus, my DD9 will have a litttle more freedom on our 10/2011 cruise than in the past and I love the idea of being able to know where she is without meeting up every few minutes (I am a serious worrier). Still on a Wave Phone Holder hunt. Will post when I find something that looks like it will work. A $250 fee scares me but on our 2010 cruise there was a $150 fee for lost pagers.

I think the kids will love them, and love a new way to be in contact with them and their needs.

I think this is a cool idea... I always felt like we were in the early 90's with those pagers! These phones are a great substitution! It will also be really good for groups with more than 1 stateroom!

By "people" you must mean "some people." My employer doesn't even have my cell phone number, I don't use my cell phone at work, and in fact I so rarely have mine on that my voice mail message says, "Don't leave important messages here; I'm not likely to get it the day you leave it." Oh, and I just disabled the texting capability because I don't text yet I was receiving texts about Wal-Mart gift cards. :confused3

I am a proud member of the non-cell phone addict club, and I am dismayed to see these phones introduced on cruise ships. Used to be one of the few places one could get away from people living virtually.:rolleyes:

The Wave Phones may use some cell phone technology, but they are not cell phones in the true sense of the word. They can only text other Wave Phones, and they can only call phones on board the ship (either Wave Phone, Room Phone, or any other phone on board). They do not ring, only vibrate. It is not possible for others to leave a voice mail for you on yours.

They really are being used for people to get in touch with each other, not for any lengthy conversations or for doing any business. If you have no one you want to be able to find you, then leave the phone in the room.

I would usually say the same thing. However, they came in handy with DD's naptime. It was a quiet way to communicate with DW and make sure I did not come back early and disrupt naptime.

We don't have kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter