WaPo: A Disney World waitress struggles to hold onto her middle-class life amid a pandemic and catastrophic layoff

More money needed to be targeted to folks like this. Checks should have never been sent out based on what someone made in 2019. That's not indicative of need in 2020. Lots of money went out the door to people that were unaffected that could have been added to the money sent to people really in need. For instance, most people in government never missed a check. Many could work from home and suffered no real negative financial effects from the pandemic. Yet they received checks. That money needed to be added to the checks sent to folks like this. They truly needed it. A much better use of resources.

Just because you didn’t lose your job doesn’t mean you aren’t struggling. Before the pandemic and now. Do people on these boards not know poor people? Or that they exist? The working poor. These checks have come in handy for lots of people that never lost their jobs. They truly needed it too. What constitute truly needing it? No food? Rent backed up? I know people who work who live under these conditions on a regular basis. Pandemic or not.

Working poor is much better than losing your job and being completely wiped out. I've been both, and I know. This effort is to help those affected, like this lady, who have been completely decimated by this virus. Folks like this lady should have gotten more help. Helping the working poor is noble and should be addressed, but not at the expense of people like this lady under the context of COVID relief.

Even worse, a family of three that made $150k last year and hasn't been affected financially got the same $1800 check this lady got. Sorry. That ain't right and should have never happened. The amount should have been much lower and whether or not you have been financially impacted should have been considered first and foremost.

Working poor is much better than losing your job and being completely wiped out.

Some of the working poor are completely wiped out. I remember reading a story that mentioned a Disneyland employee who was living in her car pre-pandemic. I wouldn't say the lady who is (just barely) still able to afford a 2-bed apartment and just received 2 months worth of salary from her old job needs the money more than someone who has a job but is literally homeless. They both need the money.

The amount should have been much lower and whether or not you have been financially impacted should have been considered first and foremost.

People would still be waiting for the 1st stimulus checks if they had to wait around for the government to determine who has and has not been financially impacted. Giving it to people based on income is faster. Should the income have been lower? Probably.

Each and every action has a cost \ benefit. We have to trust our elected leaders to make decisions weighing each side. A constant review must be conducted to see if the benefit still is worth the cost. Cost to real people, such as this. The blame rests solely on the loss of any incoming revenue for parks. Is the risk of covid infection and some death worth putting 23,000 employees out on the street? Not to mention so many other employers in the same situation?
https://www.gobankingrates.com/money/business/how-much-does-it-cost-to-run-disneyland-day/"Operating all of Disney’s parks and resorts cost $14.015 billion in 2019 "
$14.015 divided by 365 days equals $47.5 million per day.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/maddie...ry-amid-coronavirus-pandemic/?sh=235e3e9e5ce1"Iger is routinely the highest-paid executive in entertainment, earning $47.5 million "

If we fired Iger in 2019 and didn't replace him, we could fund all employees for one day. So what do we do with the other 364 days remaining? Who do we fire to get the rest of the year covered? And will Disney be an ongoing concern without a President?

Each and every action has a cost \ benefit. We have to trust our elected leaders to make decisions weighing each side. A constant review must be conducted to see if the benefit still is worth the cost. Cost to real people, such as this. The blame rests solely on the loss of any incoming revenue for parks. Is the risk of covid infection and some death worth putting 23,000 employees out on the street? Not to mention so many other employers in the same situation?
https://www.gobankingrates.com/money/business/how-much-does-it-cost-to-run-disneyland-day/"Operating all of Disney’s parks and resorts cost $14.015 billion in 2019 "
https://www.forbes.com/sites/maddie...ry-amid-coronavirus-pandemic/?sh=235e3e9e5ce1"Iger is routinely the highest-paid executive in entertainment, earning $47.5 million "

If we fired Iger in 2019 and didn't replace him, we could fund all employees for one day. So what do we do with the other 364 days remaining? Who do we fire to get the rest of the year covered? And will Disney be an ongoing concern without a President?

Not gonna fact check your numbers, but imagine he was paid a reasonable wage (no one needs to make that much in a year) and the excess for each executive was set aside each year and then distributed to all the employees making below $X.

Not gonna fact check your numbers, but imagine he was paid a reasonable wage (no one needs to make that much in a year) and the excess for each executive was set aside each year and then distributed to all the employees making below $X.

I guess my question is "What is a reasonable wage and who makes that decision?"
When someone says "no one needs to make that much in a year" What if some one was saying that about the salary of someone you know and you felt they were being properly compensated for their job.
I am not trying to be defensive but who has the right to say what anyone makes in a year.
If a person or persons requires a certain amount of money to run a multi billion dollar company why should they not get the best deal they can.

I am not defending any corporate executive pay but a decision was made how much to pay top people in a company.

Last edited:

I guess my question is "What is a reasonable wage and who makes that decision?"
When someone says "no one needs to make that much in a year" What if some one was saying that about the salary of someone you know and you felt they were being properly compensated for their job.
I am not trying to be defensive but who has the right to say what anyone makes in a year.
If a person or persons requires a certain amount of money to run a multi billion dollar company why should they not get the best deal they can.

I am not defending any corporate executive pay but a decision was made how much to pay top people in a company.

A decision was made based off of how much money they can make a corporation. Thats not a practical assessment of a reasonable salary for an individual. Whos to judge that? People like you and I. Would I care if you judged my family for making a million plus? Not one bit.

A decision was made based off of how much money they can make a corporation. Thats not a practical assessment of a reasonable salary for an individual. Whos to judge that? People like you and I. Would I care if you judged my family for making a million plus? Not one bit.

You have to remember a lot of top corporate leaders salaries are based on a base salary and on stock options/performance bonuses. If the company has a bad year like lets say 2020 they may not make nearly as much in compensation.

If the top people make the company and yes stock holders money they are compensated for it. Also when a company finds the right people to run their company they expect a certain level of performance. They expect to make enough money to not only have a profit but also to expand. Some times in business you get what you pay for.
A good leader will be able to expand a business that not only benefits the stockholders but it also creates more jobs for the rest of us.

I do not necessarily agree or disagree with how much money a corporate leader makes, those decisions are left up to people a lot smarter than I.

One thing I do not agree with is paying someone lets say a base pay just because of the a job not their skill, they should be paid on what they bring to the table, they have to earn it or they should be removed. That is any job from the top all the way to the lowest paid person.

I also think we need to stay on topic before this post gets locked.

You have to remember a lot of top corporate leaders salaries are based on a base salary and on stock options/performance bonuses. If the company has a bad year like lets say 2020 they may not make nearly as much in compensation.

If the top people make the company and yes stock holders money they are compensated for it. Also when a company finds the right people to run their company they expect a certain level of performance. They expect to make enough money to not only have a profit but also to expand. Some times in business you get what you pay for.
A good leader will be able to expand a business that not only benefits the stockholders but it also creates more jobs for the rest of us.

I do not necessarily agree or disagree with how much money a corporate leader makes, those decisions are left up to people a lot smarter than I.

One thing I do not agree with is paying someone lets say a base pay just because of the a job not their skill, they should be paid on what they bring to the table, they have to earn it or they should be removed. That is any job from the top all the way to the lowest paid person.

By your argument that makes american CEO’s grossly overpaid as their european and asian counterparts in public companies rarely break 3 million in TOTAL compensation. Strangely European and Asian companies are more profitable as well, Perhaps that’s because CEOs thinking about the business rather than gaming their salary

Frankly, most CEO’s could be replaced by their administrative assistants and the shareholders would see better returns because they would have those millions to reinvest in products and services

By your argument that makes american CEO’s grossly overpaid as their european and asian counterparts in public companies rarely break 3 million in TOTAL compensation. Strangely European and Asian companies are more profitable as well, Perhaps that’s because CEOs thinking about the business rather than gaming their salary

Well I am not sure what country you are from. I live in the United States. I do not follow what other country's do.

With that said it is about what a top level person wants to run a company and what the company is willing to pay for performance and results. That is why most company's pay a base salary then base the rest of the compensation on bonuses/stock options.

This post is suppose to be about a cast member who is trying to keep their middle class life style, not what a CEO makes running a company. I personalty know cast members who have lost their jobs. Many worked for Disney for twenty years or more. Their jobs were eliminated due to restructuring of their departments. The thing that will help these people will be tourist willing to go on vacation again. Then they can get back to work hopefully.
I have been to Disney World several times since it re opened. I have not been to the parks but have been to Disney Springs and the hotels.
It is scary how empty the hotels are.
Hopefully with the vaccine things will start getting better by late spring/early summer.

Turning this post into what CEOs should or should not be paid will eventually get it locked.

Yes, that statement is the key, Senior Management CHOSE to support their stock price and CHOSE not to support their cast members, speaks loud and clear about the character and values of senior leadership. Imagine if you would the marketing power of the statement we laid no one off during the pandemic because we are all one Ohana. Vs the current message bucks for wall st everyone else is on their own.
Welcome to corporate America. Senior management works for the stock owners and not the employees.

It is sad but very common in large corporations.

This AM, they showed a laid off Imagineer of 15 years now selling crafts/food at a makeshift kiosk once a week at a street market. She is incredibly talented based on what I saw, but you could still feel the pain right through my t.v. Beyond sad....devastating.

This AM, they showed a laid off Imagineer of 15 years now selling crafts/food at a makeshift kiosk once a week at a street market. She is incredibly talented based on what I saw, but you could still feel the pain right through my t.v. Beyond sad....devastating.

Its stuff like this which makes us as a family say no, we are not rewarding a company which acts like this with our dollars.

Welcome to corporate America. Senior management works for their compensation package and not the employees or stockholders

It is sad but very common in large corporations.
FTFY

I have a friend who was an engineer. They were with Disney over 24 years. They were let go back in December.
I was very sad for them.
They were offered a severance package based on number of years employed. I think it was one week of pay and benefits for every year they were with Disney.
So thankfully they got something from the company to help them along until they find a new job.

Because they took the severance package they were not looked at as a retiree.
They got to keep their pension and 401k but lost all the other benefits a person that retires might get.

Well I am not sure what country you are from. I live in the United States. I do not follow what other country's do.

With that said it is about what a top level person wants to run a company and what the company is willing to pay for performance and results. That is why most company's pay a base salary then base the rest of the compensation on bonuses/stock options.

This post is suppose to be about a cast member who is trying to keep their middle class life style, not what a CEO makes running a company. I personalty know cast members who have lost their jobs. Many worked for Disney for twenty years or more. Their jobs were eliminated due to restructuring of their departments. The thing that will help these people will be tourist willing to go on vacation again. Then they can get back to work hopefully.
I have been to Disney World several times since it re opened. I have not been to the parks but have been to Disney Springs and the hotels.
It is scary how empty the hotels are.
Hopefully with the vaccine things will start getting better by late spring/early summer.

Turning this post into what CEOs should or should not be paid will eventually get it locked.

i’m from the US but my company sells capital equipment all over the world. So we do a little due dilligence on who we sell to.

FIRST NOT AN INSIDER - just seen this story too many times.

the jobs lost at WDW/DL ain’t coming back, this was planned years ago. Covid was a convenient excuse to make it happen.

The buzzword will be a ‘flexible workforce’ of bodies sourced by a labor contractor as well as self service being the only option for some things that used to be staffed.

post covid Disney will be a much different place one wholly focused on profit and customer service will be a thing of the past.

I have a friend who was an engineer. They were with Disney over 24 years. They were let go back in December.
I was very sad for them.
They were offered a severance package based on number of years employed. I think it was one week of pay and benefits for every year they were with Disney.
So thankfully they got something from the company to help them along until they find a new job.

Because they took the severance package they were not looked at as a retiree.
They got to keep their pension and 401k but lost all the other benefits a person that retires might get.

that was the intention, strip your friend of the long term benefits he otherwise was entitled to. It would not have killed Disney to offer a ‘early’ retirement package so he actually could have retired.

im not going back to Disney until managment rediscovers a conscience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter