WaPo: A Disney World waitress struggles to hold onto her middle-class life amid a pandemic and catastrophic layoff

A number of national news outlets are working on stories about Central Florida and the theme park layoffs. What’s happening in this community is just so sad, and I’m glad it’s getting attention.
The sad part is that you have multiply this story by 32,000 to understand the impact of the crisis. it was gut-renching to see the line of cars at the food hand-out. I feel so sad for them! Almost gives you survivors' guilt.

The sad part is that you have multiply this story by 32,000 to understand the impact of the crisis. it was gut-renching to see the line of cars at the food hand-out. I feel so sad for them! Almost gives you survivors' guilt.

i think your number is off. 32000 people got laid off doesn’t mean all 32000 of them are hurting. Their spouses could make good money or they went ahead and found another job.i I know one lady who boyfriend makes 1.2 million dollars a year on you tube. They have been living together for a few years I don’t think she’s hurting for money.

Last edited:

i think your number is off. 32000 people got laid off doesn’t mean all 32000 of them are hurting. Their spouses could make good money or they went ahead and found another job.i I know one lady who boyfriend makes 1.2 million dollars a year on you tube. They have been living together for a few years I don’t think she’s hurting for money.
Maybe some are not struggling for money but if they were working at Disney it was for a reason, many of my performer friends that have been laid off have money saved but it's devastating in the sense of building a career doing something you truly loved and after decades just being let go

Last edited:
Maybe some are not struggling for money but if they were working at Disney it was for a reason, many of my performer friends that have been laid off have money danced but it's devastating in the sense of building a career doing something you truly loved and after decades just being let go

yes Hopefully they will come back. I’m trying to help them just got back from wdw/universal yesterday. End of January I’m going to wdw, universal and sea world. Plus I have like 10 reservations of renters to try to help them out. I like helping people.

Yes hopefully they come back, but seeing as all the seasonal employees got laid off as well it points to a future where Disney plans to run the parks with far fewer employees. And Firing long term entertainment and runDisney personalities points to a far more impersonal and ‘self service’ Disney park experience.

Management thinks People love the ‘Disney Brand’ where in reality they love the ‘Disney Experience’ two related but very different things

Maybe some are not struggling for money but if they were working at Disney it was for a reason, many of my performer friends that have been laid off have money danced but it's devastating in the sense of building a career doing something you truly loved and after decades just being let go
I 1000% agree with @yulilin3. Far too many people I know from WDW are either not working or "under" working (not making even close to what they were at WDW). Many WDW CMs are relatively young, so they're not even married -- let alone married to someone making millions of dollars.

Overall, it's just a very, very sad situation.

Maybe some are not struggling for money but if they were working at Disney it was for a reason, many of my performer friends that have been laid off have money saved but it's devastating in the sense of building a career doing something you truly loved and after decades just being let go

Very good point. Devastation isn't necessarily just measured in the monetary sense.

That story is very sad. Of course it's being repeated all over the country by thousands of people laid off from their jobs due to covid. So many people have been so deeply affected by this illness, physically, financially and emotionally.

That said Disney laid off more than most. 32,000 isn’t exactly a clickbait story...
I was referencing the story about this 1 individual not the group a a whole . . . .

That said Disney laid off more than most. 32,000 isn’t exactly a clickbait story...
I was referencing the story about this 1 individual not the group a a whole . . . .
Focusing on one person's story (while also detailing the bigger picture) gives it more of a human touch.

And because they have more money than most to support their employees but chose not to...
Yes, that statement is the key, Senior Management CHOSE to support their stock price and CHOSE not to support their cast members, speaks loud and clear about the character and values of senior leadership. Imagine if you would the marketing power of the statement we laid no one off during the pandemic because we are all one Ohana. Vs the current message bucks for wall st everyone else is on their own.

Witnessing people’s economic viability destroyed here in NY -along with the subsequent emotional and physical damage is heartbreaking to see.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter