Walking to DTD from hotel...please explain!...

mommycrawford

DIS Veteran
Sorry, but I just want to clarify what people are talking about when walking from Hilton and Holiday Inn Downtown....

Are there safe walkways, or sidewalks? My mom uses a walker, and I just want to know that slow walkers can also walk safely before considering it a real option!

Thanks for any help!:thumbsup2

Sorry, but I just want to clarify what people are talking about when walking from Hilton and Holiday Inn Downtown....

Are there safe walkways, or sidewalks? My mom uses a walker, and I just want to know that slow walkers can also walk safely before considering it a real option!

Thanks for any help!:thumbsup2

There is a sidewalk and crosswalk from Holiday Inn and Hilton. You do have to cross a rather busy intersection, but there is a light and a crosswalk with timer.

http://www.mapquest.com
Tried to add link to show how large intersection is-

I use a cane, and I would be very afraid to try and cross. The cars move very quickly and don't always pay attention. I would take a cab over. I know my DH gets tried of taking cabs to places he can walk easily to, but when you are having a hard time walking, it is worth the piece of mind the cab will bring.

The walk is about 10 minutes, and the traffic lights are green long enough to cross. I would never waste my money on a cab for such a short walk. The sidewalks are clean, safe and wide and the area is beautiful. It is made for walking.

Basically the walk from the Marketplace entrance of DTD to Holiday Inn DTD is much shorter than the walk from Marketplace to West Side.

Have a great trip, and enjoy your walking.

Please don't attempt to have a person that uses a walker cross the street from the Hilton or Holiday Inn to Disney Marketplace! Your Mom will be doing enough walking while at DD. Get a cab!

first of all it is the only traffic light that I know of it the Disney area - where all the traffic MUST stop - and I mean all.

there are generally orange county or orlando police close enough to give tickets out - if the cars don't stop here.

right on red is not allowed - while the light is red - NOTHING. there are signs that flash on - they go off when the traffic can start again.

so crossing the traffic lights Here is safe. So think you will be fine.pirate:

first of all it is the only traffic light that I know of it the Disney area - where all the traffic MUST stop - and I mean all.

there are generally orange county or orlando police close enough to give tickets out - if the cars don't stop here.

right on red is not allowed - while the light is red - NOTHING. there are signs that flash on - they go off when the traffic can start again.

so crossing the traffic lights Here is safe. So think you will be fine.pirate:

Agree. I have done the walk it is completely safe.

Yes, there are safe sidewalks. Yes, lots of people cross the intersection of Hotel Blvd and Buena Vista Drive safely. However its a busy intersection!

Would I have a slow walker using a walker walk across the 6 lanes of traffic at that intersection, NO WAY!

Yes, there are safe sidewalks. Yes, lots of people cross the intersection of Hotel Blvd and Buena Vista Drive safely. However its a busy intersection!

Would I have a slow walker using a walker walk across the 6 lanes of traffic at that intersection, NO WAY!

at some point you have to put some trust in your fellow man that they will obey traffic laws and not run you down.

outside of a bank robber running from the police...i dont kno of why someone would run down an old man with a walker while he is in a cross walk.

at least he is trying to get across - much better than the teens who wait at the light until it is about to change - then walk SLOWLY thru the crosswalks - laughing while they do it.

since Disney changed the lights no one has been hit here.

We just returned from staying at a DTD hotel. There is a bus service beginning at 2 p.m. that picks up at all of the DTD hotels and drops off at DTD. It will likely take longer to get there than walking due to all of the pick up locations, but sounds like a better option for you.

My family has stayed in DTD twice (maybe three times :scratchin), and we walked to DTD and back many times. That said, it's a decent walk, and the traffic light changes pretty quickly. I'd take the bus if possible.

I agree! My 79 y/o mom is a slow walker and not that steady on her feet at times (uses a cane at home and an ECV at WDW). No way would I let her cross that street, if she was using her cane or a walker. Too many people down there texting on their phones, messing with their GPS, arguing with their kids, looking at maps, etc.

The walk is about 10 minutes, and the traffic lights are green long enough to cross. I would never waste my money on a cab for such a short walk. The sidewalks are clean, safe and wide and the area is beautiful. It is made for walking.

Basically the walk from the Marketplace entrance of DTD to Holiday Inn DTD is much shorter than the walk from Marketplace to West Side.

Have a great trip, and enjoy your walking.

:thumbsup2

I think that crossing area has a timer to let you know how long you have to get across. Maybe you could scope it out before having your Mom attempt it? We use it, but I do remember feeling like I really had to "step lively" when my kids were a bit smaller a couple years back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!