viva italia

Bronxboy52

Earning My Ears
Does anyone who has been on the Viva Italia trip have any suggestions for restaurants on the "off days" in Rome or Venice?:hourglass

In addition to the restaurants, does anyone have any advice on what to pack? Not the basics, camera, extra batteries, laptop, clothes...but is there anything that you wish you would have taken with you but forgot or you did pack and didn't need it at all? I can't believe that this trip is only 44 days away. Looking forward to meeting you Bronxboy52!

same here Diskidatheart. It is starting to actually seem real. When are you getting into Rome?:hourglass

Your guides will have lots of great suggestions for places to eat in Rome and Venice. As for what to wear whatever is comfortable and casual works great.

They've told us you must have clothes that cover your shoulders & knees to be allowed in St Peter's Basilica, and some of the churches...

Sayhello

same here Diskidatheart. It is starting to actually seem real. When are you getting into Rome?:hourglass

We're getting in on May 2nd around 8:30am. How about you? My wife is so excited about Rome. I'm more excited about Venice. I just bought a new pair of tennis shoes, lots of cushion for all that walking. We have to go out in the next week or two to buy our converters for all of our electical items. We've already exchanged some money - the Euros look like monopoly money to me :confused3. It's tough to even start figuring out what to pack as far as cloths, since I'm not 100% sure what the temps will be like. I'm just glad it's just about spring here!

I figured we'd use the guides for suggestions on places to eat. From all the reviews and comments, it seems they would be able to match you up with what you are looking for.

Hopefully our packages from ABD will be arriving soon. I'll be curious to see what is sent (assuming they do that again this year).

They've told us you must have clothes that cover your shoulders & knees to be allowed in St Peter's Basilica, and some of the churches...

Sayhello

I've heard that too. I'll probably call ABD to confirm. I've got no problem with the shoulders as I'll probably be taking a lot of golf shirts and t-shirts anyway. My wife likes her shoulders covered regardless. It's the knees thing for me. She can wear capris that cover her knees. If it happens to get hot and I can't wear shorts, I'm not going to be happy walking around in long pants, but I'll just have to suck it up. :lmao:

I've heard that too. I'll probably call ABD to confirm. I've got no problem with the shoulders as I'll probably be taking a lot of golf shirts and t-shirts anyway. My wife likes her shoulders covered regardless. It's the knees thing for me. She can wear capris that cover her knees. If it happens to get hot and I can't wear shorts, I'm not going to be happy walking around in long pants, but I'll just have to suck it up. :lmao:
I'm kind of in the same position as you, because I look absolutely HORRENDOUS in capris, and refuse to wear them. :eek: They make my legs look about 12 inches long, and twice as big around! Maybe I can find some Bermuda shorts or walking shorts that just hit the knee. Wish me luck! Maybe a miracle will occur, and I'll find a pair of capris that don't make me look squat! ;)

Sayhello

:hourglassWe are also getting in around 8:30am. What airline are you flying? Since the ABD folks will have a representative at the airport to direct us to the transportation to the hotel, I wonder if we will be in the same bus/coach. We received our ABD package last week. It included backpacks, luggage tags and a day-by-day itinerary. You may want to call to see where yours is. As for the weather, the average high is around 70 and the average ow around 54.
We're getting in on May 2nd around 8:30am. How about you? My wife is so excited about Rome. I'm more excited about Venice. I just bought a new pair of tennis shoes, lots of cushion for all that walking. We have to go out in the next week or two to buy our converters for all of our electical items. We've already exchanged some money - the Euros look like monopoly money to me :confused3. It's tough to even start figuring out what to pack as far as cloths, since I'm not 100% sure what the temps will be like. I'm just glad it's just about spring here!

I figured we'd use the guides for suggestions on places to eat. From all the reviews and comments, it seems they would be able to match you up with what you are looking for.

Hopefully our packages from ABD will be arriving soon. I'll be curious to see what is sent (assuming they do that again this year).

We really enjoyed eating on the main plaza in Rome (sadly, I can't recall the name right now, but you can't miss it). There are several restaurants there next to the gelato place that the tour will probably take you on. Probably a little touristy, but a lovely place to sit and people-watch. Similarly, probably my favorite meal of the whole trip was sitting by the Grand Canal in Venice eating a delicious lunch, right near the Rialto bridge. It was an amazing experience, and sitting outside where you can see the sights (instead of inside a restaurant proper) was something I just loved.

Diskidatheart,
Did you ever get your pre-trip package from ABD? What did you think?:hourglass

Our package went to our travel agent. She said it included our backpacks only. I may e-mail her tomorrow and let her know that everything may be in the same package.

We're flying USAir from Pgh to Philadelphia to Rome. If you're not on the same flight, I'm sure we'll be on the transfer bus together.

I'm kind of in the same position as you, because I look absolutely HORRENDOUS in capris, and refuse to wear them. :eek: They make my legs look about 12 inches long, and twice as big around! Maybe I can find some Bermuda shorts or walking shorts that just hit the knee. Wish me luck! Maybe a miracle will occur, and I'll find a pair of capris that don't make me look squat! ;)

Sayhello

Sorry I haven't responded yet...I've actually been pretty busy at work. You can Google Vatican City dress code or etiquette and you can find all kind of information. I did notice something that I thought was kind of interesting. It almost sounded as if they prefer you wear a skirt or capris rather than long pants....(that is for the ladies). I think they prefer the men wear long pants. Besides, I don't think I'd look that good in a skirt :lmao:.

Fortunately it's spring and you should be able to find all kinds of nice clothes now. Good luck and have fun in your shopping adventures.

Our package went to our travel agent. She said it included our backpacks only. I may e-mail her tomorrow and let her know that everything may be in the same package.

We're flying USAir from Pgh to Philadelphia to Rome. If you're not on the same flight, I'm sure we'll be on the transfer bus together.[/
We are flying direct from JFK to Rome, so I am sure we will meet on the transfer bus. Really looking forward to it.:hourglass

I give...you're not what?
This "person" joined today & made 8 random posts. Either a troll, or someone looking to build up enough posts to send PM's. I've been getting PM spam on some other boards, I sure hope that doesn't start here...

Sayhello

I picked up my backpack today! Wahoo! They are nice. I'm thinking nothing says tourist like a camera strapped around your neck and an ABD backpack over your shoulders.:lmao:

I noticed in our handbook that we received, it says there are no irons in the rooms because Italian law prohibits irons in hotel rooms. Does anyone know if that means the hotel will not provide one or does that mean we cannot take one either.

I picked up my backpack today! Wahoo! They are nice. I'm thinking nothing says tourist like a camera strapped around your neck and an ABD backpack over your shoulders.:lmao:

I noticed in our handbook that we received, it says there are no irons in the rooms because Italian law prohibits irons in hotel rooms. Does anyone know if that means the hotel will not provide one or does that mean we cannot take one either.

If you can't get an iron, you might want to try downy wrinkle release. I swear by it and they sell it in travel size bottles and you won't need an iron.

If you can't get an iron, you might want to try downy wrinkle release. I swear by it and they sell it in travel size bottles and you won't need an iron.

Thanks Tozzie...I'll add that to the never ending list of things to buy before the trip. :thumbsup2 The good news is that it also will take up a lot less space.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter