Very Interesting DVC Rumors

Kinda skimmed this but was wondering if they offered the extension for say...$25 at OKW and say only 50 owners added on-what then? Would they keep it open for the 50 members and then rent out the rest?

I think TJ covered a good many concerns. Others include a lack of the quality of service one gets at a deluxe compared to DVC. It is not the same and I think it should be.

I think DVC needs to intervene of the behalf of members and get the valet parking situation straightened out. If free valet parking at DVC resorts is truly a member perk, I should not be hassled about it by the valet and charged and then have to spend my time straightening it out.

I also think DVC resorts are not held to the same quality of maintenance that Deluxe is. If you stay at the Yacht Club then the BCV you will definitely see a difference.

There once was a time where you could contact Member Services with a complaint and you felt they really cared about your imput and changes would be made, now I feel like you get the standard PC correct email and that is about it.

I just feel like the emphasis of members being satisfied and selling DVC for DVC has shifted to DVC selling DVC and the heck with the existing membership.

As relatively new members (joined about a year and a half ago and 4 trips), we have been pretty pleased with our DVC experience. However, we have no way of knowing how things were prior to that in order to draw any logical comparisons.

We have felt, however, that there are definitely some areas that need vast improvements.

1. Housekeeping / Maintenence - Far, FAR too many negative experiences and reports from Members. If issues were addressed in this area, many other DVC complaints (such as not being able to access a villa until 6:00 PM or after) would probably be reduced as well.
2. MS / CM Training - It's very frustrating to receive so many different answers, or flat out incorrect information, when we've had questions or had issues arise.
3. Waitlist Process - This really needs to be clarified as well as whether they are utilizing Room Ready or Pre-assigning Rooms and then every DVC resort across the board should be handling it the same way. The Waitlist issues are probably a direct result of Disney's stone-age computer systems.
4. Update Stone-Age Computer Systems to improve efficiency. ;)

From a new member, I'm wondering, exactly, what you're thinking of when you say "existing problems and concerns of current members".

Anything specific you'd be willing to share?
Rule one of these message boards.

You will be sorry you asked.

Rule two.

MAKE YOUR OWN DECISIONS. Most of us are very happy or have minor complaints not the LITANY you got LOL!:lmao:

(Comparing the DVC to the "Deluxe" resorts is a real joke. Disney does not do "Deluxe" resorts. They do "Disney Deluxe" That means it "looks" pretty, but doesn't meet the standard. And as for maintenance until DVC tops my Disney Resort experience where the room had NO POWER and the hotel manager told me "can't you just live with it" I think DVC is beating the "Disney Deluxe" standard LOL!)

Sounds like your DVC is a lot worse than mine. Maybe you should sell.

Why should "oh, you should just sell" be considered an acceptable response to criticism of DVC? I don't view this as a black and white issue where I'm expected to either tow the company line or hit the road.

Which items from my list do you take exception to? Do you think the waitlist changes have improved the program? Do you think the quality of training at Member Services has improved in recent years? Do you think the website is acceptable in its present form, login errors and all? Do you think that DVC is being up-front with members in claiming for four years that TV upgrades and coffee tables are in the works?

I have to agree with Sammie...more and more frequently I get the sense that DVC is just giving lip-service to issues raised by members rather than truly acting as an advocate in helping to resolve long-standing problems.

Rule two.

MAKE YOUR OWN DECISIONS. Most of us are very happy or have minor complaints not the LITANY you got LOL!:lmao:

(Comparing the DVC to the "Deluxe" resorts is a real joke. Disney does not do "Deluxe" resorts. They do "Disney Deluxe" That means it "looks" pretty, but doesn't meet the standard. And as for maintenance until DVC tops my Disney Resort experience where the room had NO POWER and the hotel manager told me "can't you just live with it" I think DVC is beating the "Disney Deluxe" standard LOL!)

But see that is all in what you have experienced. Our deluxe resort experiences have been excellent, overall DVC has been good, but housekeeping and maintenance definitely need improvement at DVC.

And the current Valet free parking situation is a joke.

I would not consider either mine or TJ's comments a litany, someone asked for clarification and we gave it. To me a litany is when someone asks what you like about something and you go on and on about how bad it is. ;)

Sammie,
We are going to have to agree to disagree.

I expect "DELUXE" resort at those prices to get MORE then a three star rating from independent agencies.

I expect a "Deluxe" resort to have MUCH MUCH better service then Disney is willing to pay to provide

I expect a "Deluxe" resort to have things like "high quality" shampoos and lotions, high thread count sheets, great bedding (not flat foam pillows and "comforters" LOL!)

Disney doesn't meet the standard.... Disney provides "pretty hotels" at a good location, but they don't meet the industry standard for "deluxe hotels"

I am sitting in a Marriott in Nashville, TN. The BED here is much nicer then any bed I have ever had at a Disney hotel. There's a robe in my closet. Price $189 a night.... (And this is a great location in Nashville)

I don't give Disney Deluxe resorts the "it's Disney" excuse. I expect them to meet or exceed the standard for a "deluxe" resort. They have pretty much admitted they aren't willing to compete for that customer by bringing in the Four Seasons. They are however, willing to charge "deluxe rates" Compare the rates at the 3 star Grand Floridian to the 4 star Ritz.... Same price. So is the location worth it. Not to me.

(And sorry, but if your list of issues takes two screens it's a litany IMHO!)

Sammie,
We are going to have to agree to disagree.

I expect "DELUXE" resort at those prices to get MORE then a three star rating from independent agencies.

I expect a "Deluxe" resort to have MUCH MUCH better service then Disney is willing to pay to provide

I expect a "Deluxe" resort to have things like "high quality" shampoos and lotions, high thread count sheets, great bedding (not flat foam pillows and "comforters" LOL!)

Disney doesn't meet the standard.... Disney provides "pretty hotels" at a good location, but they don't meet the industry standard for "deluxe hotels"

I am sitting in a Marriott in Nashville, TN. The BED here is much nicer then any bed I have ever had at a Disney hotel. There's a robe in my closet. Price $189 a night.... (And this is a great location in Nashville)

I don't give Disney Deluxe resorts the "it's Disney" excuse. I expect them to meet or exceed the standard for a "deluxe" resort. They have pretty much admitted they aren't willing to compete for that customer by bringing in the Four Seasons. They are however, willing to charge "deluxe rates" Compare the rates at the 3 star Grand Floridian to the 4 star Ritz.... Same price. So is the location worth it. Not to me.

(And sorry, but if your list of issues takes two screens it's a litany IMHO!)

Marriots do have nice beds I agree, but I really liked mine at SSR recently and at the Grand Floridian and I love the new blankets Disney is using. So soft.

So we will just agree to disagree, just funning with you anyway.

I'm glad to have CarolA in the duvet fan club.... ;)

Kinda skimmed this but was wondering if they offered the extension for say...$25 at OKW and say only 50 owners added on-what then? Would they keep it open for the 50 members and then rent out the rest?

I think the "one time offer" is not because DVC "needs" to sell OKW extensions to current members, but because DVC wants to be able to add 15 years to the current points it is holding in its own inventory, and most likely, HAS to offer current owners the same option (I do not know this for sure, I am just guessing). I think that's why it is a "one time" option, and not something you could do at any time. I think DVC wants to make OKW comparable to SSR and AKL so that it can begin offering OKW to customers who take the tour, and have a similar product. I think it is a "win win" situation for DVC, because they could then have a shiny, new product with no effort. I think TJ is right...there probably is going to be a shortage of inventory for awhile, and I think DVC is probably sitting on a significant number of OKW points (not a huge amount, but significant), and sees this as an easy, short-term solution for their impending problem.

If that is the case, DVC will happily begin ROFR'ing more OKW contracts in the resale process and resell them as "extended" contracts, and will probably have a significant chunk of extended contracts gone when 2042 rolls around. Then, the rest of the points would revert to DVC inventory, and they could rent them out to guests (unless another extension was offered....who KNOWS what will be going down in 2057...it won't be me...I'll be 88 years old!!).

Rule two.

We obviously have made our own decisions...as we bought in. :)

I was just curious as to what some of the "complaints" were. Most seem (to me...different people, different priorities) minor, or don't really effect us (the "loss" of discounts...since we never got them to begin with). There were a couple that might be annoyances, but not anything that would be dealbreakers for us.

The one thing that is of ANY concern to me is their taking care of, and updating, the properties. Seeing that mentioned gives me pause, but doesn't really make me worry. We'll see how things play out over the next 10 years...

Rule two.

MAKE YOUR OWN DECISIONS. Most of us are very happy or have minor complaints not the LITANY you got LOL!

Long time readers of these boards will realize that tjkraz and sammie are not DVC bashers and in fact are strong supporters of the program in most instances. So when they list issues about certain areas of DVC I take them to be objective criticisms by concerned members. I don't believe there is any anti-DVC agenda on the part of these knowledgeable DVC members, just a desire to make things better by speaking up. (I do believe there are posters who have a pro-DVC agenda and defend the program in every instance by blaming all problems on guest expectations rather than questioning any move by DVC)

Having issues with certain aspects of DVC by no means indicates that one feels DVC is a horrible program. It's just the observations of someone with their eyes open. Claiming DVC is perfect doesn't do anyone (current or prospective members) any favors.

IMHO, it would behoove us to continue to expect quality service and accomodations. Otherwise, DVC will fall prey to being just another, ordinary timeshare that loses incredible value over time and will be hard to sell. Its these very principles that make Disney unique to the timeshare market. We should all try to preserve the very reasons we all were basing our purchases on.

Disney has higher expectation - I didn't say this - Walt did.

DVC has gone downhill some what. I waited at OKW from 6:30 am to 5:00 pm for my studio. this is not acceptible.

also have both OKW and BWV not let me take a ready room - despite my asking for one. This is not acceptible.

VWL did.

OKW has changed - BIG TIME. It use to be the best DVC resort on property. Then SSR came along and DVC seems to have stolen all the best CM and put them at SSR.

The management at OKW has gotten out of hand. They won't hire enough maids. (and that is a fact).

but for some reason what 2 1/2 (part time) gardeners did for years - now they need what 12. way to many. and those don't seem to do the job unless you call and complaint.

OKW needs to get back to its principles - to the do best with what they have.

right now (this is my opinion) OKW has too many CM and not enough workers.

so our maintence fees goes up. Remember you are paying for EVERYTHING that is happening at OKW.

I have also noticed something else. When my trip is wonderful I get a survey.

when it is horrible I get nothing. that is fixing the ballot - my opinion.

and I do love oKW - but lets get some management that carries about the members and less about defending itself.

I have to say that my biggest concern with my DVC is housekeeping maintence and room readiness. I don't think there are enough housekeepers and it's probably due to what they are being paid. If you pay these people a decent wage there will be plenty of them who want to work. With all of Disney's millions this should be a priority. Rooms should be updated on a regular basis and worn carpeting and furniture needs to be replaced. Disney should be learning from Marriott they certainly are always looking at these details.
I also think they should have wireless internet connections in each room and STOP charging to use it. We all pay enough and this should be no charge. ;)

I also think they should have wireless internet connections in each room and STOP charging to use it. We all pay enough and this should be no charge. ;)

I agree with a lot of the first part, but with the 2nd?

The problem is...we'd still be paying for it. With our MF. You'd not see a "room charge" for it, but we'd pay for it, all the same.

I don't mind, with DVC, them charging "extra" for internet...it keeps the charges to those who use it (like me) and not those who don't.

Now, with Disney HOTELS, I agree.....especially the convention hotels (and it looks like the Contemp is piloting something now).

I think the "one time offer" is not because DVC "needs" to sell OKW extensions to current members, but because DVC wants to be able to add 15 years to the current points it is holding in its own inventory, and most likely, HAS to offer current owners the same option (I do not know this for sure, I am just guessing). I think that's why it is a "one time" option, and not something you could do at any time. I think DVC wants to make OKW comparable to SSR and AKL so that it can begin offering OKW to customers who take the tour, and have a similar product. I think it is a "win win" situation for DVC, because they could then have a shiny, new product with no effort. I think TJ is right...there probably is going to be a shortage of inventory for awhile, and I think DVC is probably sitting on a significant number of OKW points (not a huge amount, but significant), and sees this as an easy, short-term solution for their impending problem.

If that is the case, DVC will happily begin ROFR'ing more OKW contracts in the resale process and resell them as "extended" contracts, and will probably have a significant chunk of extended contracts gone when 2042 rolls around. Then, the rest of the points would revert to DVC inventory, and they could rent them out to guests (unless another extension was offered....who KNOWS what will be going down in 2057...it won't be me...I'll be 88 years old!!).

I hear what you are saying but try to guess some numbers. What percent could they be holding? Even 20% would leave 80% empty rooms for the last 15 years if nobody extended. Wouldn't it be easier to rent 20% now, instead of 80% later? If the price is reasonable I am sure most would extend and the senario would work great, but if its $25 or more-you may as well add on at a new 50 year resort with a huge down payment. That way you can enjoy it now instead of when your dead.:wizard:

I hear what you are saying but try to guess some numbers. What percent could they be holding? Even 20% would leave 80% empty rooms for the last 15 years if nobody extended. Wouldn't it be easier to rent 20% now, instead of 80% later? If the price is reasonable I am sure most would extend and the senario would work great, but if its $25 or more-you may as well add on at a new 50 year resort with a huge down payment. That way you can enjoy it now instead of when your dead.:wizard:

See, this is the logic that confuses me.

Pay for an OKW extension or for a new resort....and either way you're talking about using points 50 years from now. If you buy new, you're paying MORE to use points for the next 50 years. If you extend OKW, you're paying to EXTEND your contract so you can use points for 50 years.

Other than the "newness" of SSR or AKV....what's the difference? If you're going to be "dead" in 50 years for OKW use, you're going to be "dead" in 50 years for AKV use. And you still have points to use "tomorrow" in both scenarios.

With OKW, you're adding value to your contract...either for you or your heirs to use, or for you to realize upon resale.

OKW is 15 years old.

CRV has yet to be built.

AKV is being build.

the technological has changed so much in just the last 5 years - so 15 years is definitely out of date.

with the building being build - they can leave room for future changes - that OKW can't even allow.

now I like older building - but they are a bunch more work than new ones. 15 years is not old - but with all the new stuff that they can put in building today - it is.

i do love OKW - but if it were build today. It would be a lot quieter. less problems. or if done badly more problems.

Long time readers of these boards will realize that tjkraz and sammie are not DVC bashers and in fact are strong supporters of the program in most instances. So when they list issues about certain areas of DVC I take them to be objective criticisms by concerned members. I don't believe there is any anti-DVC agenda on the part of these knowledgeable DVC members, just a desire to make things better by speaking up. (I do believe there are posters who have a pro-DVC agenda and defend the program in every instance by blaming all problems on guest expectations rather than questioning any move by DVC)

Having issues with certain aspects of DVC by no means indicates that one feels DVC is a horrible program. It's just the observations of someone with their eyes open. Claiming DVC is perfect doesn't do anyone (current or prospective members) any favors.

Thanks for understanding where I was going. My comments are not a bash of DVC, for those that have been on the forums for longer than a week know that I am a huge supporter of anything Disney. It takes alot for me to critize them.

And my comments were not about the quality of the Disney deluxe resorts, but more about comparing their quality to DVC. I could care less about the quality of nonDisney resorts when discussing Disney, it is a moot point to me.

What I do care about is that we have been going to Disney for over 25 years and over 8 years with DVC and it is not the same recently especially with DVC.

Disney management is much more concerned with keeping their deluxe and even moderate and value resorts clean and well maintained over the DVC ones. The carpet in the hallways at BCV would never have been allowed to get to the point it is; at the Beach Club resort. DVC resorts should be a on a similar maintenance and repair schedule.

The best service as Spiceycat said is always the new DVC resort, right now that is SSR. Soon it will be AKV. It should not be that way, they should all be equal in service. The one selling should be no better than the ones sold out. And unless you are staying at different locations, as we do, it is hard to see the difference.

I am also tired of DVC hiding behind the scapegoat of that if we repair then dues must go up. Don't believe it for a minute. They are making money hand over fist and can afford to keep the DVC resorts up to the quality they were when members bought in. Their rehab schedule is much longer than Disney resorts.

I am not against expansion but you can't sacrifice the current membership for future sales.

If the bus rumor is true and the service is anywhere near what valet is right now, believe me others will see what I am talking about.

It seems lately DVC is fine unless you have a problem and believe me I am not a picky guest, but have a problem and believe me you will soon see what I am talking about. It is more about lip service lately instead of Disney quality service.

I don't want to get rid of my DVC, I want them to listen to the thousands of members that supported them, before they became Disney's best kept secret.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter